Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

Dr. Dos posted:

Out of curiosity is there still an awful wait to get a Pi if you order one these days? I ordered mine in June or July as an early birthday present and it showed up in late September, making it an astutely on time birthday present.

But I kind of want the 512mb model and to make the current one into a nice little emulator box.

MCM Electronics almost always has them in stock: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

As always, Amazon. They're prime-eligible, too.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I've bought from Newark Element 14 and resellers on Amazon (sold with amazon prime etc). The one from Element 14 died within two weeks somehow and I was able to send it back for a full refund (they sent me a shipping label). The one from Amazon got crushed in shipping and was also covered by them (with a shipping label) and they sent me another. The main difference for me was that Amazon shipped more quickly but didn't package it as well.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Zuph posted:

Ordered my Pi, a case, and some assorted cables for a project from MCM. Picked them up the same day (cause I live 20 minutes away. Envy me.).

The initial backlog of orders is over now, manufacturing is pretty steady, and most places have no problem keeping them in stock. Even if a retailer does run out, the wait is at most, a couple weeks, not a couple months like it was when they were first released.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Zuph posted:

I got one of these 2 days ago at Microcenter. I'm fortunate to have a spiritual successor to CompUSA near and they had all sorts of versions of it. Good stuff. Got the basic with the case and the AC adapter.

Now to actually get Emulationstation to work properly on it, I'd be golden.

Speaking of that...and forgive me if this strays to far into FILEZ territory, but does anyone have any good web resources on getting NES emulation to work. I'd like a multi emulator as an optimal option (NES, SNES, GEn, TG16 and MAME..basically my childhood.) but just getting one to work would be nice..

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
NES emulators? They're simple, just run the program and load the ROM. Unlike many later systems, there's no need to hunt down and apply BIOS dumps or complicated controller mappings.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I got one of these 2 days ago at Microcenter. I'm fortunate to have a spiritual successor to CompUSA near and they had all sorts of versions of it. Good stuff. Got the basic with the case and the AC adapter.

Now to actually get Emulationstation to work properly on it, I'd be golden.

Speaking of that...and forgive me if this strays to far into FILEZ territory, but does anyone have any good web resources on getting NES emulation to work. I'd like a multi emulator as an optimal option (NES, SNES, GEn, TG16 and MAME..basically my childhood.) but just getting one to work would be nice..

Look into RetroPi.
LifeHacker had an article on it even

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!
If you use a raspi and do a lot of SD-swapping you will have noticed the SD reader is really crapy and breaks easily. I'm quite clumsy so I managed to break one of my rapsberries this way. After some googling, I found a suitable replacement for the builtin plastic one and tried to replace it.

Of course, I managed to burn a pad and part of a track when I desoldered the broken piece, and ended soldering the new one in all but that broken pad (which happens to be one of the two which are used to sense the presence of a card in the SD reader). Now I just need to short that track with its neighbour (so the raspi will think there is ALWAYS a card, which is acceptable), but of course i'd need to somehow repair the broken track, at least to expose it so I can do the short.

Anyone around has experience fixing this sort of things? Is it posible to fix anyway? I have found references about a "PCB track repairing" pen, but it costs more than a new R-pi...

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Amberskin posted:

If you use a raspi and do a lot of SD-swapping you will have noticed the SD reader is really crapy and breaks easily. I'm quite clumsy so I managed to break one of my rapsberries this way. After some googling, I found a suitable replacement for the builtin plastic one and tried to replace it.

Of course, I managed to burn a pad and part of a track when I desoldered the broken piece, and ended soldering the new one in all but that broken pad (which happens to be one of the two which are used to sense the presence of a card in the SD reader). Now I just need to short that track with its neighbour (so the raspi will think there is ALWAYS a card, which is acceptable), but of course i'd need to somehow repair the broken track, at least to expose it so I can do the short.

Anyone around has experience fixing this sort of things? Is it posible to fix anyway? I have found references about a "PCB track repairing" pen, but it costs more than a new R-pi...

If any of the track is left on the non-burnt side, scrape the solder mask (the green stuff) off the copper and solder some 30 gauge wire from there to the SD card pin. This is a bit tricky, but cheap.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Do you have a link or part number for the SD card slot you used? I broke a pin on one of my Pi's SD card readers and haven't gotten around to finding an exact replacement. I wish they would just throw an extra dollar on the price of the Pi and use a quality card slot in the first place. Mine broke the very first time I inserted a card--luckily I can still make it work if if put a little pressure on it, but I dunno how long that will last.

KrautHedge
Dec 5, 2008
Instead of inserting and removing sd cards you should use a microsd card and just leave the adapter plugged in all the time. Its no big deal if the adapter wears out.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

mod sassinator posted:

Do you have a link or part number for the SD card slot you used? I broke a pin on one of my Pi's SD card readers and haven't gotten around to finding an exact replacement. I wish they would just throw an extra dollar on the price of the Pi and use a quality card slot in the first place. Mine broke the very first time I inserted a card--luckily I can still make it work if if put a little pressure on it, but I dunno how long that will last.

I followed the instructions in this post:

http://www.hwmakers.eu/raspberry-pi/raspberry-pi-sd-slot-replacement/

You'll find the part # there.

BTW the pad I burnt is the rightmost one. I'll try to scrap the mask and patch it to its neighbour, as suggested.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Amberskin posted:

I followed the instructions in this post:

http://www.hwmakers.eu/raspberry-pi/raspberry-pi-sd-slot-replacement/

You'll find the part # there.

BTW the pad I burnt is the rightmost one. I'll try to scrap the mask and patch it to its neighbour, as suggested.

Perfect, thanks!

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Going through the install and setup for this has been its own special level of hell so far (mainly from my lack of experience with Linux). Wishing they could just post a completed image with all of the existing emulators or at least warn people that they still need to install other emulators if they try to use the SD image on their site.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Gone!

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 2, 2014

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006
I'm trying to set up the piface web interface that is included in pifacedigitalio. When I run python simplewebcontrol.py I get a message saying the http-server module wasn't found. Is there something I need to apt-get to add this? I didn't see anything about dependencies in the documentation.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

duffmensch posted:

Going through the install and setup for this has been its own special level of hell so far (mainly from my lack of experience with Linux). Wishing they could just post a completed image with all of the existing emulators or at least warn people that they still need to install other emulators if they try to use the SD image on their site.

The image on the site comes with all of the emulators. They just don't show up in EmulationStation unless you have ROMs for that emulator loaded on.

Setting up a RetroPie was painless (though I am a CS PhD student). A quick dd of the image, popped it in my Pi, raspi-config to expand the filesystem, set up a shortcut for quitting out of emulators with the USB controllers I got, and I was good to go.

e:

Ezrem posted:

I'm trying to set up the piface web interface that is included in pifacedigitalio. When I run python simplewebcontrol.py I get a message saying the http-server module wasn't found. Is there something I need to apt-get to add this? I didn't see anything about dependencies in the documentation.

Which version of Python are you using? Looking at the code, it's using the http.server module which (I believe) is python3 (refactored from python2 with SimpleHTTPServer). Or, you may have installed the version that works with python3 when you only have v2.something.

booshi fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 2, 2014

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

booshi posted:

The image on the site comes with all of the emulators. They just don't show up in EmulationStation unless you have ROMs for that emulator loaded on.

Setting up a RetroPie was painless (though I am a CS PhD student). A quick dd of the image, popped it in my Pi, raspi-config to expand the filesystem, set up a shortcut for quitting out of emulators with the USB controllers I got, and I was good to go.

I realized that yesterday while watching some videos on getting it setup and configured to see exactly where I went wrong (I expected to see emulators listed even if there weren't any ROMs there). My ineptitude aside, it would have been nice if they would have included that in the FAQ or something.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

I have a Raspberry PI (256MB Model B) that's been running Raspbian pretty solid for over a year. I recently picked up a BeagleBone Black and have been decently impressed with the performance improvement over the Pi. Overall I've seen a good 20% improvement in the BBB compiling with GCC and running things like UnixBench. Part of that can be attributed to the 1GHz clock speed of the Cortex-A8 vs 700MHz on the Pi, but I think the architectural improvements between ARM11 and the Cortex-A8 play a role as well.

The downside to the BBB is definitely platform maturity. There's a much smaller community base to draw ideas and support from, and they're on the fourth or fifth hardware revision already due to issues that have been popping up. My unit died after a week and had to be shipped back for reflashing.

Overall not a bad deal at $45 MSRP, but lack of availability has been driving the price higher at the few distributors that actually do have them in stock.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Cenodoxus posted:

The downside to the BBB is definitely platform maturity. There's a much smaller community base to draw ideas and support from, and they're on the fourth or fifth hardware revision already due to issues that have been popping up. My unit died after a week and had to be shipped back for reflashing.

The placement of the USB port and the mini-HDMI adapters is not the best... If you have to use a mini-HDMI to HDMI adapter and an USB device at the same time, you have to force a little bit one of the connectors, and that is definitely NOT good :( That is a bad design :(

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Cenodoxus posted:

Yeah we have had many issues with them and tons of video calls/emails back and forth with TI. First, wifi dongles were a huge, huge pain to get working. Then, students were frying boards left and right because the tolerance for input voltage is only 5 +- .25V. Yes, a quarter of a volt for a platform that is also aimed towards those new to computing/microcontrollers.

It's a promising platform given the larger amount of I/O and processing power but I have seen BBB's fail because you may have looked at them funny.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

booshi posted:

Yeah we have had many issues with them and tons of video calls/emails back and forth with TI. First, wifi dongles were a huge, huge pain to get working. Then, students were frying boards left and right because the tolerance for input voltage is only 5 +- .25V. Yes, a quarter of a volt for a platform that is also aimed towards those new to computing/microcontrollers.

It's a promising platform given the larger amount of I/O and processing power but I have seen BBB's fail because you may have looked at them funny.

Wow, good to know about the tolerance there. Yeesh that sucks that it's so easy to fry. I have a BBB but haven't had a chance to play with it much.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

booshi posted:

Mine got fried w/o even looking at it. It had been working reliabily form months. I powered it off for a pair of weeks. When I powered it back on, the USB (power thru mini-USB and network interface) was dead. Fortunately, I'm going to get a replacement when the thing comes back to stock.

A pity, because I really like that small thing. uSDs are more convenient than SDs, and it is faster than the rPi (for what I want it).

Now I just hope my cubietruck doesn't break :)

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004
Has anybody had issues with their Pis losing SSH? Mine is set up as a wifi access point, but after a while it seems to lose the ability to accept SSH connections. It continues to act as an access point just fine and I can ping it, but SSH simply refuses. The only thing that will bring it back is a reboot.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Sackmo posted:

Has anybody had issues with their Pis losing SSH? Mine is set up as a wifi access point, but after a while it seems to lose the ability to accept SSH connections. It continues to act as an access point just fine and I can ping it, but SSH simply refuses. The only thing that will bring it back is a reboot.

/var/log on tmpfs, 100% full?

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004
That makes sense. I'll set an upper limit to it in /etc/fstab and see how it behaves. Thanks!

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Sackmo posted:

That makes sense. I'll set an upper limit to it in /etc/fstab and see how it behaves. Thanks!

Make sure logrotate is rotating. There are a number. Basically, /var/log/{messages,secure} && /var/log/audit.log on RPM distros and /var/log/{syslog,auth.log} on deb distros.

Check to make sure it's actually tmpfs or actually 100% full before you do this, though. You may also want to try running ssh in debug mode (console cable, full path, it'll run in the foreground) to get hints if they're not in the aforementioned logs.

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004
Ah, I figured out what the problem was. My pi seems to have a minor defect where the SD card slot is incredibly sensitive to pressure from underneath. I have it hanging on the wall because it won't work at all inside of a case, but even then simply resting against the wall would cause the SD card to become unreadable from time to time. I was able to cause SSH to drop by simply touching it.

At least I learned a lot about fstab and logging trying to figure it out. :unsmith:

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Sackmo posted:

My pi seems to have a minor defect where the SD card slot is incredibly sensitive to pressure from underneath.

Are you sure it's not broken? Look closely at the plastic on the sd slot for hairline cracks. My first Pi had this problem and I got it replaced. It's pretty fragile.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I wish someone would make a 'premium' raspberry pi that's the same chips but with good connectors that don't break. Also put some mounting holes on the board! How do folks attach the pi to stuff? I want to mount one on a board inside a project, but the best thing I can find is just wrapping tape around it and the board (which sucks).

edit: Oh I guess I have an older board that doesn't have mounting holes? Yeesh that sucks, anyone have advice how to mount this thing somewhere?

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 10, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I used double-sided foam tape for mounting. Velcro is another option.

...but there are two mounting holes and a ton of cheap cases with their own mounting holes.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 10, 2014

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

eddiewalker posted:

I used double-sided foam tape for mounting. Velcro is another option.

...but there are two mounting holes and a ton of cheap cases with their own mounting holes.

Not on mine:

Good point about velcro though, that's probably my best option.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Sackmo posted:

Ah, I figured out what the problem was. My pi seems to have a minor defect where the SD card slot is incredibly sensitive to pressure from underneath. I have it hanging on the wall because it won't work at all inside of a case, but even then simply resting against the wall would cause the SD card to become unreadable from time to time. I was able to cause SSH to drop by simply touching it.

At least I learned a lot about fstab and logging trying to figure it out. :unsmith:

I'd suggest to move your root FS to an USB stick. Then, once the machine is booted the SD will not be used anymore (unless you need to mount the /boot filesystem to update it).

Step-by-step instructions here:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=44177

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

the nicker posted:

Are you sure it's not broken? Look closely at the plastic on the sd slot for hairline cracks. My first Pi had this problem and I got it replaced. It's pretty fragile.

In my experience generally RPis aren't great with pressure pushing up on the sd slot. Between 2 pis at home and my ~50 I have for my research project, most of them have issues with reading off of the card with too much pressure on the slot. The original case for my research project didn't account for the microsd adapter we use, and was putting pressure on the underside. I had to Dremel them all out a bit. With a case that I use for my home Pis, if tightened too much it puts too much pressure on the microsd adapter and causes problems. Usually I just have to fiddle around with it a little, or take it out and reseat it, and it's all good.

I work with Pis so much now I can tell you from the lights if it is booting properly, and I can even tell network status from how the Edimax dongles flash.

e: And speaking of mounting, what idiot chose to have only 2 holes? 3 would be much more sturdy.

Hoppin Tin
Mar 5, 2004

SURFS UP BRO!
Fun Shoe
I'm trying to do some digital signage for my school's campus. I was thinking of just have LibreOffice run a presentation on a loop. I also thought of maybe making a faux website hosted on the pi itself and have the pages loop as well with a script. I want to do this externally and wirelessly.

Anyone with experience on this?

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

duffmensch posted:

Also, it'd help if they told you the image is exactly 3.75 gigs and installs on a partition of 4 gigs, meaning you have to increase the partition size to the full capacity of your media.

MAME games seem to be finicky, meaning I can put the roms in there but most of them don't read...I'm working on a solution to this, it may just be taking them out of the zip archives, but i"m not sure yet.

TG16 works flawlessly, as does the NES. Genesis and the SNES are up next on my list to use. I'm really thinking of putting FCEUX on there for the NES though because Retroarch doesn't have the features I like (like instant rewind and an easy way to take screenshots and the like).

I got the whole thing to work finally after buying a powered hub. For some reason no controllers would work properly connected directly to the Pi. I think the power draw was too high. Oddly enough a Logitech wireless PS3 controller I bought 5 years ago ended up being the ticket.

All in all, its been a great addition to my living room TV...hell, it's been the only thing I've used my McLargeHuge television for in a while.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Also, it'd help if they told you the image is exactly 3.75 gigs and installs on a partition of 4 gigs, meaning you have to increase the partition size to the full capacity of your media.

MAME games seem to be finicky, meaning I can put the roms in there but most of them don't read...I'm working on a solution to this, it may just be taking them out of the zip archives, but i"m not sure yet.

TG16 works flawlessly, as does the NES. Genesis and the SNES are up next on my list to use. I'm really thinking of putting FCEUX on there for the NES though because Retroarch doesn't have the features I like (like instant rewind and an easy way to take screenshots and the like).

I got the whole thing to work finally after buying a powered hub. For some reason no controllers would work properly connected directly to the Pi. I think the power draw was too high. Oddly enough a Logitech wireless PS3 controller I bought 5 years ago ended up being the ticket.

All in all, its been a great addition to my living room TV...hell, it's been the only thing I've used my McLargeHuge television for in a while.

Which hub did you use? The one I've had worked fine with Openelec, but RetroPi refuses to see it (meaning I likely need to change a config somewhere, but haven't gotten around to it).

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I got a Pi this weekend and set it up with Raspbian to be an always on usenet box, with SABnbzd, Sick Beard, and Couch Potato as well as network file-server junk and such using an external drive. I still need to finish some things up with this, but I was wondering if it would be a better idea to switch to Raspbmc and run the usenet stuff on the PC that's usually on all the time anyway. The one thing I'm not sure about is making a shared folder on Raspbmc so I can just point the usenet apps to that directly and make it seamless. Was hoping someone here has already messed around with this idea, but if not I'll just grab another microSD card and try it on there (or more likely backup the Raspbian build and start over).

Also the external drive sometimes doesn't mount right, not sure if I need to format it or something else, but it seems like the setup to make it automatically mount gets overridden by it mounting in the GUI when I remote into the pi. I'm not sure what's up with that since it worked fine for a while, then I started getting I/O errors when trying to add directories in console, but I noticed that it was in the GUI under a slightly different address. Maybe I hosed up the setup or there's some power issues at play causing it to turn off and remount.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Hoppin Tin posted:

I'm trying to do some digital signage for my school's campus. I was thinking of just have LibreOffice run a presentation on a loop. I also thought of maybe making a faux website hosted on the pi itself and have the pages loop as well with a script. I want to do this externally and wirelessly.

Anyone with experience on this?

Check this out: Pi Presents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Brightman posted:

Also the external drive sometimes doesn't mount right, not sure if I need to format it or something else, but it seems like the setup to make it automatically mount gets overridden by it mounting in the GUI when I remote into the pi. I'm not sure what's up with that since it worked fine for a while, then I started getting I/O errors when trying to add directories in console, but I noticed that it was in the GUI under a slightly different address. Maybe I hosed up the setup or there's some power issues at play causing it to turn off and remount.

^^^ Mostly this. Use a powered hub if you can.