Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyturnsblue
Jun 14, 2007

i used to dance before the discos came
Loyola definitely has better networks, but the cost just isn't worth it. My original plan was to stick with a community college, so thanks for the assurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
So here's a question from my wife: She just finished her CNA certification in Texas, and is looking at what steps to take next. I've read some of the comments saying that people prefer not to hire fast-track BSNs over traditional nurse candidates. Does spending time working as a CNA improve the chances of being hired?

Also, since she has already has a bachelors in Liberal Arts, should she consider an alternate entry master's program or a fast track BSN? Admittedly, she is not overly ambitious or in a hurry to become a nurse practitioner.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ElGroucho posted:

So here's a question from my wife: She just finished her CNA certification in Texas, and is looking at what steps to take next. I've read some of the comments saying that people prefer not to hire fast-track BSNs over traditional nurse candidates. Does spending time working as a CNA improve the chances of being hired?

Also, since she has already has a bachelors in Liberal Arts, should she consider an alternate entry master's program or a fast track BSN? Admittedly, she is not overly ambitious or in a hurry to become a nurse practitioner.
Working as a CNA absolutely improves your chances of being hired. A traditional RN with decent CNA experience is probably going to beat a BSN any day (and definitely gives you an opening on the floor you're working as a CNA on), plus the CNA experience will make a fast-track BSN program easier if she takes that route. Being able to walk into a patient's room and not have to be thinking about basic stuff like how to talk to the patient, how to take vitals, how to bathe, and all the other junk a nursing student has to do means you can concentrate on actually learning your nursing skills.

Also, consider that she could work as a CNA during a longer program, whereas an accelerated BSN program would make it very hard to work during that time.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Ravenfood posted:

A traditional RN with decent CNA experience is probably going to beat a BSN any day (and definitely gives you an opening on the floor you're working as a CNA on)
Lol no.

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone
Yeah, I have to agree. Bsn > ASN, unless the difference is years of RN experience.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Lava Lamp posted:

Yeah, I have to agree. Bsn > ASN, unless the difference is years of RN experience.

And even experienced ADNs are running into trouble some places. Several of the hospitals in my area have their eyes on magnet status, which requires a certain percentage of nurses to have BSNs (80%?). They won't even look at non-BSNs for new hires and are "strongly suggesting" that their current ADNs enroll in an RN to BSN program.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
This career path is bonkers. There are 6 different entry paths, no one agrees what the best one is, and I've learned more acronyms in 2 months than I have in 3 years in IT.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

ElGroucho posted:

This career path is bonkers. There are 6 different entry paths, no one agrees what the best one is, and I've learned more acronyms in 2 months than I have in 3 years in IT.

It might vary a little bit depending on what specialty you want to go into, but I think you could get most of us to agree that working as a CNA while getting a BSN is the best bet for most nurses. Maybe working as an EMT while getting your BSN if you want to work in the ED.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
In a perfect world, a BSN with CNA experience will put you in a great starting position for your new career. The reality of it is that there are too many variables and you need to do whats best for your situation. I graduated with my ADN and escaped school with zero debt because community college is much cheaper than a university (typically). Now my hospital will be picking up the bill for me to get my BSN starting in August.

Also, at my hospital (large trauma center in the panhandle of Florida), a BSN will get you $1/hr more than an ADN. If you put yourself in deep financial debt getting your degree, it will be a long time to make up that ground.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 31, 2013

Dirp
May 16, 2007
I graduate in May and I already have my first interview coming up next week. It's for a nurse residency position at a very good hospital in a Neuro ICU. I've made it through the initial application and essays, phone interview, and reference checking so this is the final step in the process. I've done a lot of preparation looking at general situational questions they could ask me but I'm kind of terrified at the thought of them asking me ICU specific questions. I've worked in a neuro step-down unit and general ICU this past year as a CNA so it's pretty easy to draw from experiences there but I'm coming to realize how little I know when it comes to actual nursing related things.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should brush up on?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Dirp posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should brush up on?

It's really difficult to say if they will ask you ICU-specific questions, but if they do, it shouldn't be out of your knowledge range. (They shouldn't ask about gtt titration or vent troubleshooting, for example.) However, do review your basic stuff, like signs of pulmonary issues, MI, I guess stroke would be the most important one for you, increased ICP, herniation, etc. Also review nursing-specific interventions that you can do to help your patients if things change (raising the HOB, eliminating environmental stimuli, titrating O2, assessing aspiration risk, etc). Keep in mind prioritization as well (which patient would you see first, and why).

What they will be looking for during the interview is critical thinking skills. You don't need to have instant answers - think about what you say before you say it. "Notify MD" is also an appropriate answer if you've covered your nursing intervention bases.

When I was interviewed for general ICU, I was asked to describe symptoms of pulmonary edema and what I would do if this happened to my patient. That was the only nurse-related question, though. A few others were "Why do you want to work in ICU," "Give an example where you had to work as a team," "Tell me about a time where you made a mistake," "Tell me about a time where your critical thinking was important," and "Have you ever dealt with a difficult coworker and how did you handle it." Expect questions that will make you uncomfortable, but be prepared with a good, honest answer. You want to be able to brag about yourself a little but still come across as a human.

Ravenfood posted:

Being able to walk into a patient's room and not have to be thinking about basic stuff like how to talk to the patient, how to take vitals, how to bathe, and all the other junk a nursing student has to do means you can concentrate on actually learning your nursing skills.

Also, consider that she could work as a CNA during a longer program, whereas an accelerated BSN program would make it very hard to work during that time.

This. I agree with others that a BSN will be hired over an ADN regardless of CNA experience because that's the way the world works. However, having CNA experience will help you personally while learning how to be a nurse since you don't have to sweat the small stuff. While you're in nursing school it will be really obvious who has worked as a CNA and who hasn't.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lava Lamp posted:

If you all say so. My experience is admittedly totally anecdotal, but I'm a BSN with CNA experience and the only callback I got was the unit I was a CNA on. Some of the BSN students I graduated with of whom applied to the same unit I did and got beat out by associate RN graduates, some with and some without CNA experience.

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

And even experienced ADNs are running into trouble some places. Several of the hospitals in my area have their eyes on magnet status, which requires a certain percentage of nurses to have BSNs (80%?). They won't even look at non-BSNs for new hires and are "strongly suggesting" that their current ADNs enroll in an RN to BSN program.
My hospital is magnet right now. In my ICU, we just hired a BSN with CNA experience on the unit (me), two ADNs with no CNA experience, an ADN with CNA experience, and an experienced ADN. I know that they turned down at least two BSNs with no CNA experience. We're due for another round of hiring really soon, since quite a few people just left. I'm curious to see what we get.

Still, I won't argue that I could easily be wrong on this, so. Go with what everyone else says, I guess.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
How about EMTs that become RNs? I have been an EMT for 4 years, 1 paid. I am looking at ADN programs because the first Accelerated BSN program turned me town due to my poor gpa :/.

Also surprise I want to work in the ER.

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
I'm leaving support work in mental health this month to start my new job as an auxiliary nurse at a general hospital. Really looking forward to it because Adult Nursing is what I want to register in. I'm nineteen and I can barely believe that I even got an interview, let alone landed the job.

I'm British and I want to study a nursing program in the US. I have no idea what qualifications I need before I do that, or how to move towards studying in America. Could anyone help me out?

The Isle Of Sparky Munroe
Dec 6, 2005
This coming semester I believe my placement is in an ob/gyn ward. Other than reviewing my A&P notes on female reproductive physiology, any tips on what I should review?

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Sphinx posted:

This coming semester I believe my placement is in an ob/gyn ward. Other than reviewing my A&P notes on female reproductive physiology, any tips on what I should review?

Stages of labor - what is supposed to happen at each stage and possible complications. If you're a male nursing student, see how many cervix dilation assessments you can eagerly do before you're no longer allowed on the floor.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

If you're a male nursing student, see how many cervix dilation assessments you can eagerly do before you're no longer allowed on the floor.

Thank you for making me spit water on my monitor, jerk. :argh:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sphinx posted:

Magnesium and oxytocin. Everything about them: when to use them, when not to use them, what they do, what they potentiate, etc. Stages of labor and, if you've learned it, how to read a fetal heart monitor. That was a huge chunk of my ob/gyn rotation.

Dirp
May 16, 2007
My interview went really really good. I wasn't asked any ICU specific questions at all. It didn't even really feel that much like an interview. I had a bunch of "describe a situation" questions during the initial phone interview a few weeks back so the unit manager just kind of talked over my resume with me and what the unit expectations were. Everything flowed really naturally so I think that's a good sign.

Only thing that sucks is I have to wait until March to find out if I've got the job. Here's to hoping.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Good luck Dirp! From what you've posted it sounds like you have nothing to worry about. I remember my interview going poorly and I got the job. Unfortunate that you have to wait around though.

Anyway, I'm a Canadian RN and I'm looking to get licensed in the US. I don't really know where to start, anyone in the thread have experience with this?

Zylon
Sep 21, 2003
I've been waiting since October to get my eligibility to test/ATT from the CA BRN. Anyone have any insight on what magic words I have to say to the CA BRN to get my ATT?

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Good luck Dirp! From what you've posted it sounds like you have nothing to worry about. I remember my interview going poorly and I got the job. Unfortunate that you have to wait around though.

Anyway, I'm a Canadian RN and I'm looking to get licensed in the US. I don't really know where to start, anyone in the thread have experience with this?

Look at what state(s) you are interested in and look at their requirements. You'll need to write your NCLEX, this may require some travel.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone here have their CCRN? I'm thinking about picking up a book and flipping through it so I can be ready to take the exam when I hit the requirement for bedside hours.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
It is almost that time... So, Hurst vs Kaplan, which would you recommend and why?

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
The RNs here really like the Laura Velarde stuff for CCRN.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

The Kaplan CCRN book is cheap and not very good according to some coworkers. Pass CCRN has been the most liked and I just ordered it yesterday. I submitted anesthesia school apps and I need to take the exam so I can update my applications.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Just applied to a bunch of UAP positions! So excited to be a nurse peon :dance:

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011
Went and got all of my titers drawn for grad school, and I need to repeat the MMR. So I have 4 weeks to get both shots that have to be given 4 weeks apart. My doctor's office doesn't have any in, but can get some by the end of next week. UGH I have to work tonight, but tomorrow I get to call around and find someone that can give me the shots. Or possibly, I can get them at work.

And apparently I've been working as a CCU/ED nurse for 3 years without being immune to measles or rubella. That's a little scary.

I am already freaking out about grad school, this isn't helping.

Hellacopter
Feb 25, 2011
I just got my CCRN last week and I used the question bank from the Pass CCRN book in addition to a class my hospital offered. The questions from the bank are a good resource because they have the rationals and strategies. The quality of the questions varies though, and the questions are harder then what I saw on the actual exam. Thanks to studying for the CCRN I can say that I now understand the theory behind the PA catheter and the interventions related to it, even though I've never had one in practice. Also, "nursing synergy" :iamafag: (aka how not to be a lovely person) is 20% of the exam so make sure you brush up on your theraputic communication!

ThirstyBuck posted:

The Kaplan CCRN book is cheap and not very good according to some coworkers. Pass CCRN has been the most liked and I just ordered it yesterday. I submitted anesthesia school apps and I need to take the exam so I can update my applications.

Highfive fellow gas school applicant. :toot:

Hellacopter fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 19, 2014

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Who just got into CRNA school? This guy.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bum the Sad posted:

Congrats! Do you plan on working at all during that time?

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011

Bum the Sad posted:

Congrats!! How long of a program is it? Good luck, I hear it's a pretty hard program.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Bum the Sad posted:

Grats man. Can you tell us pleebs who hope to one day get into CRNA school what you had to go through?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Hughmoris posted:

Congrats! Do you plan on working at all during that time?
Not one bit.

LoveMeDead posted:

Congrats!! How long of a program is it? Good luck, I hear it's a pretty hard program.
12 months class and 16 clinical. So 2 1/3 years.

Etrips posted:

Grats man. Can you tell us pleebs who hope to one day get into CRNA school what you had to go through?
As in while I'm in school? Or the interview and applying type crap?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Bum the Sad posted:

As in while I'm in school? Or the interview and applying type crap?

Applying, getting prereqs, GPA, background, etc.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Etrips posted:

Applying, getting prereqs, GPA, background, etc.
Everything was pretty straight forward. I graduated with my BSN with like a 3.8something(pre-reqs were a 4.0), Rocked the GRE verbal got 97th percentile, did ok on the math like 55th percentile. Got my CCRN about a year and a half ago. Some CRNA schools want you to have a recent chemistry, but it's not required, and some let you take a course during the summer at a local CC or what ever before the year starts.

Been working in a predominantly CV, SICU(Heart Transplants, VADS, along with other high risk surgical cases like Whipple's and Radical Necks w/ free flaps) for about 4 1/2 years right now.

I applied to two schools, got turned down for the first one. No clue why, the interview was very personal though, asking more about me and challenges I've faced and what not. Guess they didn't like me. I don't know if I came off as cocky or what, I was going for confident. Got into my second one and was accepted on the spot. The interview was very clinical based and they mostly just grilled me on CV questions given my background(for example they asked me how much I knew about neuro and I said pretty much nothing so they said they would avoid asking me questions about that. Anyway they offered me a position on the spot at the end of the interview, I guess they had their mind made up based on my GRE and grades, and wanted to make sure I wasn't really a bumbling anti-social retard before they gave me the final go ahead.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 23, 2014

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
So I just started an accelerated one-year BSN program, and need some talking down off the ledge.

Some background: I graduated from a top-tier school undergrad, though my degree was in humanities and I didn't take a single science course. A few years later after working in women's health care (as a counselor and pseudo medical assistant, trained on the job) I decided I wanted to go to nursing school. My plan was/is to get my BSN/RN and then an MPH, to ultimately become a nurse administrator in women's health. I've always been a very good student and I aced all my nursing pre-reqs, which was surprising and uplifting because I never thought I was a "science person" before.

Anyway, fast-forward to starting the program (it's been three weeks) and I've never felt like I was in so over my head. I wasn't at all mentally prepared for how hard it was going to be, especially considering it's an accelerated program. I feel like I'm not learning anything because it's just going too fast. I'm completely overwhelmed both academically and clinically (yeah, we already started clinicals too). Despite my clinical experience I'm struggling just as much in the hospital as I am in the classroom - I'm in positions I don't feel trained for; I'm just faking it. Like, I have no idea how to listen to heart and lung and bowel sounds. We did it for about two seconds in lab simulation on a manikin, and now I'm expected (and trusted!) to do it on actual patients??

Clearly I was overconfident before I started. I really, really, really don't want to drop out or fail. I still want to be a nurse so badly and I can't fathom not completing what I started. But I also just don't see how it will be possible. I don't know how to get through the days.

Any advice?

ETA: I should add that my program is front-loaded, i.e. it's supposed to be overwhelming at the beginning and then the load gets a little lighter. I know my feelings are probably not uncommon, but I haven't really heard my classmates voicing anything like I'm feeling right now.

boquiabierta fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 25, 2014

Fromage D Enfer
Jan 20, 2007
Strawbrary!

boquiabierta posted:

So I just started an accelerated one-year BSN program, and need some talking down off the ledge.

Anyway, fast-forward to starting the program (it's been three weeks) and I've never felt like I was in so over my head. I wasn't at all mentally prepared for how hard it was going to be, especially considering it's an accelerated program. I feel like I'm not learning anything because it's just going too fast. I'm completely overwhelmed both academically and clinically (yeah, we already started clinicals too). Despite my clinical experience I'm struggling just as much in the hospital as I am in the classroom - I'm in positions I don't feel trained for; I'm just faking it. Like, I have no idea how to listen to heart and lung and bowel sounds. We did it for about two seconds in lab simulation on a manikin, and now I'm expected (and trusted!) to do it on actual patients??

Clearly I was overconfident before I started. I really, really, really don't want to drop out or fail. I still want to be a nurse so badly and I can't fathom not completing what I started. But I also just don't see how it will be possible. I don't know how to get through the days.

Any advice?

I finished an accelerated masters and I completely understand how you're feeling. I think the thing that helped me the most was finding a solid core of friends I could depend on (and a very understanding husband). We got together to study often and practiced our skills with each other. Honestly, the accelerated programs depend a lot on the student doing work independently even though you really don't have the time to do it.
Also, when you're in clinical you should never be alone. You can do your assessment without someone there, but there should always be someone to verify your findings.
As for improving your assessment skills, just practice. Get on youtube to listen to heart, lung, and bowel sounds or watch assessment videos. Talk to nurses when you're in clinicals to ask what you should be looking for in that patient population.
Don't give up. You'll find a routine and you'll get through it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
All of the people in my program who didn't have actual clinical experience of any kind before the program felt similarly. You'll be okay. Though, it sounds like we had a better lab than you: we listened to heart/lung/bowel sounds on each other, rather than a manikin, which helped. If your program is anything like mine was, you'll rapidly bond with some friends and that will help a lot for having people to ask questions and to help out with. If you're struggling with the basics, ask your clinical instructor to help walk you through it on a patient or two. Or ask your lab instructor. My teachers were all really good about it, especially since they knew that so many of us had no idea what we were doing medically. My clinical instructor's first words to us were something like "you're all totally out of your depth, I know that. All you need to do is fake it until you make it and everything will be fine." Personally, now that I'm a nurse and have students working on my patients, I do my own assessment and chart it anyhow, so while you're trusted to document, nobody is using what you say for clinical decision-making yet. Go get help. Ask the nurses for help. Ask your friends, ask your instructors. There was a moment about a month in where we all went to the bar and there was just this outpouring from everyone about how it was so much harder than they expected. You're going to have to do some work on your own, but it'll get easier so quickly.

You'll get through it. And now that we're all working, I don't think I can tell the difference between the people who had medical experience before the program and the ones who didn't (barring the person who was a paramedic for several years beforehand).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
A BSN in one year. OK cool that seems totally reasonable and a thing that produces high quality nurses.