Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

EddieDean posted:

I've read through 19 star wars (audio)books of varying levels of trash, yet I can't get through Kenobi.

I'm about 20% in but it seems like the entirety of the plot is just Kenobi bouncing into Sand People, with a supporting cast of utterly boring Tatooine merchants.

If I don't care a drat about these boring locals, is there any reason to stick around?

Pretty much the story is what Kenobi ended up doing while waiting for Luke to grow up. It has some pretty rad interludes with Kenobi pondering the nature of Darth Vader, his own failings, etc. Other than that pretty much the story is pretty much about the above, and if you didn't like it I don't think there is much reason for you to be listening to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Even the premise of it just sounds awful. I mean, the only interesting thing of any possible consequence that really would have happened to an old man living alone in the desert for those 18 years would have been, maybe, his confrontation with A'Sharad Hett.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Drone posted:

Even the premise of it just sounds awful. I mean, the only interesting thing of any possible consequence that really would have happened to an old man living alone in the desert for those 18 years would have been, maybe, his confrontation with A'Sharad Hett.

I thought it was pretty rad, but I'm a sucker for westerns.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012
Partway through Crucible and really it's biggest crime so far is being loving boring. Can someone reassure me that this'll change soon?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

chaosrefined posted:

Partway through Crucible and really it's biggest crime so far is being loving boring. Can someone reassure me that this'll change soon?
It gets better, which is high praise from me because I almost despise Denning for the direction he's dragged the EU in. Crucible is actually alright, and the biggest crime is that he doesn't wrap anything up, and in fact goes and creates more stuff that will probably never be wrapped up.

Also, Kenobi is great.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been reading these articles Peņa and Wallace have written for the Star Wars blog, which go into a lot of depth about the Imperial warlords.

This is the second part, which achieves the absolutely vital task of linking the Star Tours ride from Disneyland (the old Star Tours ride, for that matter) into the wider EU.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Are there any books that cover the period immediately after ROTS?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The first one that occurs to me is Luceno's Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
Thanks for the information on Kenobi, folks, I'll steer clear.

I used to be a sucker for this stuff. I read Tattooine Ghost because it was a prequel to the Thrawn trilogy (which I hadn't yet read, I was going semi-chronologically). And that was pretty poor. I remember at the time reading about how Leia was worried her kids would be more Vader than Anakin, and thinking 'ooooh, interesting'. But it wasn't worth those hours of boring Tattooine stories, just like the interesting meditations Kenobi had in exile won't make up for those boring locals.

It's not suprising, really: The whole point of Tattooine is that it's a boring, empty, planet too far from anything interesting. The primary occupation of settlers is absorbing enough water to survive. But because it's the first planet seen in Star Wars we know every boring thing about it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

The first one that occurs to me is Luceno's Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader.

How is it? Recommended?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

redshirt posted:

How is it? Recommended?

I enjoyed it. It helped heal the pain of the lovely cameo of Vader at the end of the last prequel movie.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I remember liking that book too actually, iirc it delves into Vader getting used to the fact that he was mostly robot and all that entails.

Also, good point re: the premise for the Kenobi book not even being good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EddieDean posted:

It's not suprising, really: The whole point of Tattooine is that it's a boring, empty, planet too far from anything interesting. The primary occupation of settlers is absorbing enough water to survive. But because it's the first planet seen in Star Wars we know every boring thing about it.

The best Tatooine-based story is the "Outlander" story arc from Republic.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

EddieDean posted:

Thanks for the information on Kenobi, folks, I'll steer clear.

I used to be a sucker for this stuff. I read Tattooine Ghost because it was a prequel to the Thrawn trilogy (which I hadn't yet read, I was going semi-chronologically). And that was pretty poor. I remember at the time reading about how Leia was worried her kids would be more Vader than Anakin, and thinking 'ooooh, interesting'. But it wasn't worth those hours of boring Tattooine stories, just like the interesting meditations Kenobi had in exile won't make up for those boring locals.

Kenobi isn't at all like Tatooine Ghost. That had Troy Denning piggybacking on Thrawn stuff and ineptly trying to tie prequel poo poo into the later EU.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
And (imo) still managed to be more interesting than Kenobi so far

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

redshirt posted:

How is it? Recommended?

I'd put it in my top fifteen most enjoyed EU books. Along With Thrawn, XWing, and Kenobi.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 31, 2013

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

I've been reading these articles Peņa and Wallace have written for the Star Wars blog, which go into a lot of depth about the Imperial warlords.

This is the second part, which achieves the absolutely vital task of linking the Star Tours ride from Disneyland (the old Star Tours ride, for that matter) into the wider EU.

Interesting articles, though this art is incredibly nineties hip hop materiel.

Noticeably Z-S-I-N-J.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

It gets better, which is high praise from me because I almost despise Denning for the direction he's dragged the EU in. Crucible is actually alright, and the biggest crime is that he doesn't wrap anything up, and in fact goes and creates more stuff that will probably never be wrapped up.

Also, Kenobi is great.

I finished it this afternoon and yes, it did get better,though you are completely right about it not wrapping anything up. Not massively bad, but could've been a lot better.

And I also recommend Luceno's Rise of Darth Vader book. Although you know what'll happen, its still a pretty good read.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The comic book Dark Times is also set immediately after ROTS; I believe Dark Horse is releasing an omnibus collection later this year.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Re: Kenobi

I talked it up a bit a few pages back but I can see why someone wouldn't dig it. I really like the prequel era depiction of Kenobi, the charming but slightly aloof guy who can get poo poo done. That's what really kept me going through it is the parts with Kenobi in them, the settlers portion was whatever and the sand people stuff... Well... oh gee a civilized white man teaches the noble savages a lesson and blehhh, that stuff is lame but it's all pretty standard for a "western"

As others have said, Rise of Vader was decent, I like Lucerno's stuff. Dark Times is ok so far but I read pretty much anything based in prequel or OT era so I'll keep picking it up regardless of quality.

Speaking of comics, is everyone enjoying "The Star Wars"? It's a fun piece of "alt universe" Star Wars jibber jabber.

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 2, 2014

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm most of the way through Darth Plagueis and am enjoying it. The only real problem with this book is that there are a lot of holes that take place in comics or other books.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, Luceno has always tied in a lot with existing continuity but Plagueis seemed to go up a notch even for him. Off the top of my head there were big chunks covered by: Cloak of Deception, Stark Hyperspace War, Bounty Hunter/Open Seasons, Devaronian Version/Acts of War, and the various Darth Maul books/comic. I actually liked that a lot since I'm a huge continuity nerd but I can absolutely see how that would be a turn-off for others.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, Luceno has always tied in a lot with existing continuity but Plagueis seemed to go up a notch even for him. Off the top of my head there were big chunks covered by: Cloak of Deception, Stark Hyperspace War, Bounty Hunter/Open Seasons, Devaronian Version/Acts of War, and the various Darth Maul books/comic. I actually liked that a lot since I'm a huge continuity nerd but I can absolutely see how that would be a turn-off for others.

I didn't feel like I missed anything though - in fact, these allusions to other stories gave Darth Plagueis greater depth for me. It felt like a "lived in" story.

I really loved the book.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Now I'm interested in these other stories, but since they're tied into the prequels they might very well be poo poo.

James Luceno has probably the longest author article on Wookiepedia.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Now I'm interested in these other stories, but since they're tied into the prequels they might very well be poo poo.

Some of them are pretty good. Cloak of Deception is also by Luceno and is a lead-in to The Phantom Menace that actually works as a political thriller. Open Seasons is a really great Jango Fett comic about his life prior to being chosen as the clone candidate. And Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter is also a pretty fun story (and actually there's a scene near the end of it that's then shown from the POV of Palpatine in Darth Plagueis).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Most of the comics mentioned are worth checking out; most of the trades are probably out of print, but just about all of them have been collected by Dark Horse in their super-comprehensive Star Wars Omnibus series.

I know everybody recommends Legacy, but I think Republic is the best comic there's been.

Casimir Radon posted:

He sounds like he's had an interesting life.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 3, 2014

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Also, has anybody here ventured into the CD Star Wars thread? Everything has gone insane.

Somebody mentioned watching Attack of the Clones and how great the acting is in it. Erm...

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Sounds like a pretty standard CD thread to me :v:. But yeah I don't read the other SW threads because as far as I know this is the only one that discusses EU stuff.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's official, in 2015 Dark Horse will lose the comics license, which will go back to Marvel:

http://starwars.com/news/lucasfilm-and-marvel-join-forces-to-publish-star-wars-comics-and-graphic-novels.html

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

It's official, in 2015 Dark Horse will lose the comics license, which will go back to Marvel:

http://starwars.com/news/lucasfilm-and-marvel-join-forces-to-publish-star-wars-comics-and-graphic-novels.html

Hopefully the year's lead time will give Dark Horse time to finish up their ongoing storylines and such. I am sad to see that Legacy Volume 2 won't make it to 50 issues like its predecessor did though.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Dark Horse had a good run. They put out some quality stories. Of course they also put out some crap, but overall I thought they did themselves proud.

Here's hoping Marvel can do as well.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Knowing our luck, there's a guy sitting at Marvel Comics HQ rubbing his hands together with glee, just waiting for his chance to bring back Jaxxon the green space rabbit.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

astr0man posted:

Sounds like a pretty standard CD thread to me :v:. But yeah I don't read the other SW threads because as far as I know this is the only one that discusses EU stuff.
I've stayed out of there myself knowing how a lot of CD threads turn out. There's a few CD posters who've come to the conclusion that Twilight is actually brilliant satire and Stephanie Meyer is trolling everyone. I'd rather bitch about the EU without someone trying to jerk off their superior intelligence every other post.

Chairman Capone posted:

That sucks.

EDIT: Got 4 new oak bookshelves to replace the lovely laminate ones I had (And to house books that have been sitting loose for some time now). The largest of them is for housing 20 years of accumulated Star Wars books. :smithicide:

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 4, 2014

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
The only reason that I frequent this thread is so I that I don't have to read the EU stuff and still get the jist. Couldn't imagine the CD or GBS threads.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Because we actually talk about it, instead of going UGH IT IS ALL TERRIBLE YOU SHOULD JUST WATCH THE SUPERIOR CLONES WARS TV SERIES :smug:.

I mean, they are sort of right but they don't know the good or hilarious stuff they missing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Personally I never got the appeal of the Clone Wars show. At its best, it's more tolerable than TPM or AOTC, and at its normal level of quality it makes those movies look like masterpieces. And then there are the whole episodes devoted to Jar-Jar.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Because we actually talk about it, instead of going UGH IT IS ALL TERRIBLE YOU SHOULD JUST WATCH THE SUPERIOR CLONES WARS TV SERIES :smug:.

I mean, they are sort of right but they don't know the good or hilarious stuff they missing.

Which is a shame, because X-Wing and Thrawn might be the best part of the EU and make a close running for best Star Wars thing produced ever. [including the movies]

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Dr. Benway posted:

The only reason that I frequent this thread is so I that I don't have to read the EU stuff and still get the jist. Couldn't imagine the CD or GBS threads.

Here let me summarize them for you:

"BOY I HATE STAR WARS. NOW YOU WILL LISTEN TO ME EXPLAIN WHY."

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
"LUCAS ONCE SAID THAT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO RHYME!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Arschlochkind posted: