Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Kenning posted:

We got loving hit tonight. Huge Christmas Eve. No one was expecting that. Probably did like 15k-18k in sales at dinner. I'm so tired.

Merry Christmas everybody.

Merry Christmas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

It was regular flu, not stomach flu that I meant--I'd had the stomach flu before but never the regular one. I called out, even if my wallet will hate me for it. My doctor'd said I should take off for rest but I'd forgotten to ask about infectiousness :/

Thanks.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kenning posted:

We got loving hit tonight. Huge Christmas Eve. No one was expecting that. Probably did like 15k-18k in sales at dinner. I'm so tired.

Best of luck to everyone that got destroyed Christmas Eve and will again the day after. Merry Christmas, you glorious bunch of rockstars you.

Zadmaster
Nov 5, 2007

Your tone, it's all wrong...
Enjoying reading your x-mas horror stories; haven't hit up this thread in close to a year.

Not to rub it in, but this is the first holiday season I've actually not had to work. Feels weird. A couple months ago I took a corporate dining gig, and sold out hard. The job itself I really don't get very passionate about (at a blue collar account where the customers shun anything new), and I also have a crippling fear that I'm wasting my abilities, but nights, weekends, and holidays off is pretty drat appealing.

Any of you guys ever stepped back from the restaurant world and faked the funk like this? I know that right now it's what I need to do for my family, but I miss being in a fast paced, a la carte type dining environment. Is there a middle ground?

Either way, happy whatever to all you bastards.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Yeah, grab a second job doing second shift in a diner. :v:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Kenning posted:

Did Santa leave shots? Like, a lot of them?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Wel my older brother who is still in the industry is a beast. He has a infected gland on his eyelid that has swollen so much that it is half shut. He hasn't missed a shift yet.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Today is our banquet sous' last day, I'm actually off for once, and chef gave me the go ahead to apply for banquet sous. All in all, best christmas in years!

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
That is disgusting and a health hazard. What kind of place would allow him to work with an eye so infected it's swelled shut?!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Zadmaster posted:

Enjoying reading your x-mas horror stories; haven't hit up this thread in close to a year.

Not to rub it in, but this is the first holiday season I've actually not had to work. Feels weird. A couple months ago I took a corporate dining gig, and sold out hard. The job itself I really don't get very passionate about (at a blue collar account where the customers shun anything new), and I also have a crippling fear that I'm wasting my abilities, but nights, weekends, and holidays off is pretty drat appealing.

Any of you guys ever stepped back from the restaurant world and faked the funk like this? I know that right now it's what I need to do for my family, but I miss being in a fast paced, a la carte type dining environment. Is there a middle ground?

Either way, happy whatever to all you bastards.

I sold out and did corporate. I was at a nicer place so there was some professional satisfaction. When I would feel like a sell-out I would just go home at 3 in the afternoon and cook myself a nice dinner and spend time with my husband. That usually cured me of self-doubt. I loved restaurants, but I love time with family more. I would still be doing the corporate thing if personal stuff hadn't gotten in the way.

If you want to find a better corporate gig check out Compass USA's job postings online and look for postings that mention FLIK in the description. Avoid Morisson- that's Compass's "schools, hospitals and prisons" division. Eurest and Restaurant Associates can be good, too.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Zadmaster posted:

My very first sous chef and now very good friend of mine leveraged all of his exec and training experience into a cushy HR/training job for a government-run crown corporation, and is loving loving it. It probably won't last long because he's stupid like the rest of us and likes restaurants too much, but for now they're paying him better money than he was making for being the exec of a 6-restaurant group, still has time to do side caterings/consulting/private classes and functions, and basically just gave his resume to a head-hunting agency and has pretty much been getting non-stop offers so whenever he wants to get back into it he can.

If I was more experienced and not-stupid I'd "sell out" in a heartbeat.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Vegetable Melange posted:

Did Santa leave shots? Like, a lot of them?

There was Fernet Branca and Jameson lined up in a row at the bar. A Christmas miracle!

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
On one hand I have a new job now with actual responsibility and work to do. On the other hand it is starting with letting 35 employees know they are now unemployed and we are closing the location they work at effective immediately. Including my roommate. drat.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

On one hand I have a new job now with actual responsibility and work to do. On the other hand it is starting with letting 35 employees know they are now unemployed and we are closing the location they work at effective immediately. Including my roommate. drat.

That is The Worst Feeling. I'm so sorry you have to do that. Just be prepared with answers to the questions people are going to ask, even if that answer is "I don't know."

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Wroughtirony posted:

That is The Worst Feeling. I'm so sorry you have to do that. Just be prepared with answers to the questions people are going to ask, even if that answer is "I don't know."

Honestly I feel at fault too. I was given that location to try and turn it around 7 ish months ago. I did partially, took it from hemorrhaging money every week to actually making a profit (9%) these past 2 months. Not enough to convince corporate to keep it open but enough for them to keep me. This was my first salaried gig too. I am going to give away my liquor cabinet to a few of the crew. Partially so I stay away from drinking.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Honestly I feel at fault too. I was given that location to try and turn it around 7 ish months ago. I did partially, took it from hemorrhaging money every week to actually making a profit (9%) these past 2 months. Not enough to convince corporate to keep it open but enough for them to keep me. This was my first salaried gig too. I am going to give away my liquor cabinet to a few of the crew. Partially so I stay away from drinking.

It's not your fault, dude. Really and truly, it's not. For all you know, corporate was planning to shut down that location at the end of the year all along. Quit beating yourself up.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

It is your fault. You did your best which clearly wasn't enough. I mean what type of restaurant gets shut down even while making a profit?? That means that ownership was just unhappy with management, including you. They probably decided to keep you due to lack of legal grounds to fire you, even though they can lay off the rest of the staff due to the restaurant closing. If I were you, I'd just begin a bender and keep drinking until your liver quits.

(I am totally kidding, Wrought is right, you are blameless. Merry Christmas!!)

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons With Spoons > Just keep Drinking Until Your Liver Quits: The Restaurant Industry Thread

Try to remember for the next time Wrought lands a new thread.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Well its done. Emails and calls went out last night and just finished meeting everyone face to face today. Now begins the minutiae of making sure every little loose string is tied up. At least I managed to land stages/interviews for the handful I felt were a cut above.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Last day at work was today. Finished deleting the account I used to administer the facebook page for work, and transferring admin to my boss. Just deleted my work email address. Feels good, man.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
So, uh, were you both working the same gig? Because :stonklol:, timing.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

"In two quarters we stopped losing money and started making money? Hell yeah, life don't git no better than this" *orders someone else to shutter the business and goes drinking for new years to commemorate the hard work they've done*

Corporate culture is so awesome. Sorry for your situation, but kudos to you for helping some people land on their feet. Thats the kind of predicament where the only thing you can really control is you. :(

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Man, I have to say, after my first real week of it, whoever described being a sous chef as primarily consisting of cleaning up after assholes was pretty spot on.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Ugh. Beyond all of the big issues now my new direct boss guy wants me clean shaven and with boring hair. Maybe I'll find a job with a wine or spirits distributor. Half their reps look like extras from punk rock music videos.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Ugh. Beyond all of the big issues now my new direct boss guy wants me clean shaven and with boring hair. Maybe I'll find a job with a wine or spirits distributor. Half their reps look like extras from punk rock music videos.

Hey now, I clean up quite nicely, thanks. Apartment hunting is "fun" so far, but I think I'll have some options.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Has anyone used/bought one of these: http://www.jawleathergoods.com/#/shop/4568768008/Handmade-Leather-Knife-Roll---Large/867193 ?

I love the look of it but the only thing I'd be worried about is that the knife slots are, as with cheap canvas rolls, held in place with string.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
It isn't the make of the knife slots, but the size. Those are tiny, and they don't seem like they could hold anything of decent size.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

I had noticed that but I found a few pictures that seemed like it's not too bad. But I'll definitely be asking about whether it stretches a little.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Love it when people quit mid shift and you have to pick up the slack, Ugh.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

$279 can get you a very nice Misono. I get that it looks very nice and probably will make you feel happy and good, but $279 for a case?

e: Also I'm 95% sure that I have a place to live in Queens, but also going to have to couch surf for a few weeks. Meh.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Do you have a link for that, tb? I've not heard of Misono before. I'm basically looking for a case that will last years (well, I wasn't, but then I saw that and it looks really really nice and it just twigged something in my brain). I've got a cheap synthetic wrap that I dislike to the point I actually forgot what knives I had in it because it's stashed out of sight at work, unneeded.

E: oh they're knives and not cases. Whoops.

If I can find similar for cheaper I'll look at that, but yeah, I do love how it looks and can see it lasting decades, against the 3 synthetic ones I've gone through in 6 years that have cost about $200 (aus) overall.

Sir Spaniard fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 30, 2013

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Turkeybone posted:

$279 can get you a very nice Misono. I get that it looks very nice and probably will make you feel happy and good, but $279 for a case?

e: Also I'm 95% sure that I have a place to live in Queens, but also going to have to couch surf for a few weeks. Meh.

Congrats on finding a place, and the job.

Re: Knife roll chat: Does no one else use a $20 toolbox and proper protection for individual blades (which is sometimes a side towel)? It's the only thing that I've found to easily lug around my mandolin / tenderizer / all that other big and bulky poo poo that won't fit in a roll.

Sir Spaniard posted:

Do you have a link for that, tb? I've not heard of Misono before.

Misono is a brand of knives, he's saying you can pick up a good quality knife for the price of that bag.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Yeah, the Misono UX-10 is a great knife, a great step up from the Wusthof world into the Next Level.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Naelyan posted:

Misono is a brand of knives, he's saying you can pick up a good quality knife for the price of that bag.

Yeah, I realised that when I did a search later.
I'm still waiting on news about that Moritaka Hamano I ordered (stop making me want things!)

I've actually currently got a largeish toolbox type thing that's got my mixed kitchen stuff (whisk, spreader, spoons etc) as well as my 'main' knives in it, which is a god send for space.

Sir Spaniard fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 31, 2013

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

There's an end of year sale at Korin for those of y'all who are still on the German tip. I got a hammered Damascus togiharu for Xmas,band it's even prettier and sharper than the lady who kindly thought of me when she saw it.

Cercies
Dec 3, 2010

Living the dream
Good luck to everyone tonight. May you not go off on a murderous rage over some drunk rear end ruining your night. Especially to those in an open kitchen, where customers can walk up and take your mise.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Yeah, I haven't worked a NYE since 2010, but it's still weird for me to not be getting my rear end kicked and having my stomach turn today. Good luck to y'all.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

To those of you about to bartend tonight, we salute you. SUCKEEEEERRRSSSSSS

In other news, I landed a new job finally, and start on the 14th. I start as a busser again, but they want it to be temporary so I can upgrade into server. I plan to keep the pressure on hot and hard so I can make it clear I'm there to be a server, and not just be put off for months so they can dangle a carrot; if they try that, I'll just walk. Also, I haven't worked in two weeks. I'm still employed, technically! But they haven't given me hours or have called me off so I have gone 2 weeks with no work. I'm just going to never call them back again or show up. Wheee, free ugly sky blue apron and ascot I can repurpose into a snotrag.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Black August posted:

To those of you about to bartend tonight, we salute you. SUCKEEEEERRRSSSSSS

I can't won't be able to hear you over the sound of champagne corks and single nostril inhaling. And drunk girls yelling whooooooooooooooooo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cercies posted:

Good luck to everyone tonight. May you not go off on a murderous rage over some drunk rear end ruining your night. Especially to those in an open kitchen, where customers can walk up and take your mise.

I'm already off for the day, suckers. Coffee shops can suck on rancid donkey dong, I ain't delivering on new years' day.

• Locked thread