Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Gatts posted:

The Dark Knight Trilogy has a different viewpoint that's darker and down on it.
The Dark Knight Trilogy isn't really down on heroism. I've said this before in CineD, but Nolan's progression through the films reminds me of Kirby's career where both really like the big metaphor of superheroes but abhor violence. The final message of his trilogy is that Batman is a metaphor. When he punches the Joker to save Gotham, the thing you should get from it is that you too should stand up for other people and do the right thing, not that you should go out and punch people. The dopey CIA agent using completely ineffectual scare tactics and Bloombergmanuel offer the real world horrors if you get the wrong message from a character like Batman. But there is also stuff like a repented criminal making a stand for the lives of others or the big HINT HINT with Bruce's last great deed for Gotham being redistribution of his wealth and property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Let's see what happens when the next F4 inevitably bombs.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Reckon it'll be Fox's Green Lantern?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I really want the FF movie to fail, and the rights to revert back to Marvel only so I can see Avengers Vs Doom/Galactus/Skrulls.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

If Fantastic Four flopped it would just speedin' the X-Men vs FF film as X-Men is pretty much a guaranteed sell for Fox.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If they stick with the First Class stuff and set the FF in the 60s/70s that could actually be pretty cool

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

hey I can see Trank pulling this off if it's Ultimate Universe Fantastic Four complete with Teen Shithead Reed

(which it might be, given the casting rumors that have been pitched around)

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 30, 2013

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Opopanax posted:

If they stick with the First Class stuff and set the FF in the 60s/70s that could actually be pretty cool

X-Men Apocalypse is reportedly sticking with the First Class characters.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

The MSJ posted:

X-Men Apocalypse is reportedly sticking with the First Class characters.

And Wolverine. Don't forget. Hugh Jackman will always be there. ESPECIALLY in an FF vs X-Men movie.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Spitballing, maybe the FF get their powers after mutants are a big public issue, then become superhero celebrities, so the conflict is about why the world loves the team that got powers from space and hates the huge underclass that was born with them?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

It's not actually happening, it was just one of those occasions where someone cited an old rumor which then became recirculated as a new rumor

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1719706/fantastic-four-x-men-movie-rumor.jhtml

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Gatts posted:

And Wolverine. Don't forget. Hugh Jackman will always be there. ESPECIALLY in an FF vs X-Men movie.

Like that's a bad thing?

BTW, the deleted scene with the costume makes it look seriously awesome.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gatts posted:

Wolverine was already in First Class.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
That's not a bad thing. Just saying. Wolverine will headline it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
He was almost practically in the original Fantastic Four.

If Marvel ever does get the rights back to Fantastic Four, I hope they treat it like Reed Richards has always been there and is the biggest deal in the world. I'd love a movie where Tony and Banner just spend a whole movie having a big boy crush on their idol.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gatts posted:

That's not a bad thing. Just saying. Wolverine will headline it.

Oh course I mean he has headlineg all the other films.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 31, 2013

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Timeless Appeal posted:

The Dark Knight Trilogy isn't really down on heroism. I've said this before in CineD, but Nolan's progression through the films reminds me of Kirby's career where both really like the big metaphor of superheroes but abhor violence. The final message of his trilogy is that Batman is a metaphor. When he punches the Joker to save Gotham, the thing you should get from it is that you too should stand up for other people and do the right thing, not that you should go out and punch people. The dopey CIA agent using completely ineffectual scare tactics and Bloombergmanuel offer the real world horrors if you get the wrong message from a character like Batman. But there is also stuff like a repented criminal making a stand for the lives of others or the big HINT HINT with Bruce's last great deed for Gotham being redistribution of his wealth and property.

It didn't strike me until I watched the animated Dark Knight Returns, but the message that comes across is that Batman is loving insane but it's obvious that Miller thinks Batman is brilliant and those fanged liberals are always getting up on their high horse and complaining when he viciously disfigures some gang members. There's a neat dissonance to it.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Spitballing, maybe the FF get their powers after mutants are a big public issue, then become superhero celebrities, so the conflict is about why the world loves the team that got powers from space and hates the huge underclass that was born with them?

Was there ever anything in the comics about this?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sockser posted:

It didn't strike me until I watched the animated Dark Knight Returns, but the message that comes across is that Batman is loving insane but it's obvious that Miller thinks Batman is brilliant and those fanged liberals are always getting up on their high horse and complaining when he viciously disfigures some gang members. There's a neat dissonance to it.

You should read All Star Batman and Robin

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Opopanax posted:

You should read All Star Batman and Robin

You should read this amazing thing.
http://frankmillerink.com/

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh I've read it. I kind of feel bad for Frank because he seems like he went so far overboard there might be some underlying thing

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

bobkatt013 posted:

This right here is why I suddenly saw millers contempt when I watched the animated DKR.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The Dark Knight Returns is so weird. There is a lot of anti-authoritative stuff, but there is also this appreciation for Batman as someone who takes back the streets. Nolan's Batman has always had a bit of a social conscience to it. Even in Batman Begins which is the most straight up action adventure, petty crime is never really seen as the big problem as institutionalized corruption. There's also the quick line about Bruce having to steal to survive that I love. Then the next two films are about Nolan and Bruce really following through on some of the problematic stuff with Batman while still having very operatic moments of optimism like the Joker's defeat.

bobkatt013 posted:

I love how out of touch he is to think that twenty-four year olds at the occupy movement are driven by 60s nostalgia.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's kind of what's got me a little worried about the Batman under Snyder thing, cause it seems they may be going for the Dark Knight Returns Batman and well that's uh no.

I think what I liked most about Thor 2 was that it didn't wallow in misery which is basically what all of the Nolan Batman films did, now they were really loving good and I love them, but they wallowed in misery.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.

Hollismason posted:

It's kind of what's got me a little worried about the Batman under Snyder thing, cause it seems they may be going for the Dark Knight Returns Batman and well that's uh no.

I think what I liked most about Thor 2 was that it didn't wallow in misery which is basically what all of the Nolan Batman films did, now they were really loving good and I love them, but they wallowed in misery.

I don't think we will ever see a DC, or even maybe another Marvel film that was as fun as Thor 2.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hollismason posted:

Snyder has straight up said that he's not adapting any part of The Dark Knight Returns: http://youtu.be/2559riZ7u5g?t=2m12s

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

prezbuluskey posted:

I don't think we will ever see a DC, or even maybe another Marvel film that was as fun as Thor 2.

DC I'll agree, but I think both GOTG and Ant-Man will be really fun considering the cast and directors involved.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Sockser posted:

Was there ever anything in the comics about this?

Considering that Miller was satirizing Reagan and his policies as well I don't think it is fair to say that DKR was just a critcism of liberal ideals.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Dacap posted:

DC I'll agree, but I think both GOTG and Ant-Man will be really fun considering the cast and directors involved.

I honestly cannot be more excited about GoG, it just looks like a ton of fun and a great space opera to boot. Still more excited about Avengers 2, but if it didn't have Scarlett Witch in it, GoG would be the one I was most looking forward too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I miss the Paul Dini/Bruce Timm Batman. That was an awesome Batman, and am awesome Bruce Wayne.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Dini and Timm made me actually care about Superman. That's how good they were.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Timm and a lot of other people including Dini.

Hollismason posted:

I get that really sad and hosed up stuff happens, but there also really hasn't been a superhero movie that I think really gets the optimism at the core of superheroes. Everything in the last act of The Dark Knight is awful, but it still ends with Batman and Gotham winning because of selflessness and optimism and all that. Stuff like Thor 2 is definitely a hoot, but Nolan's films are probably the purest statement on film in regards to what a superhero is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SaintFu posted:

More pictures from The Winter Soldier:

Man, they're really trying to recapture the Loki fangirl love with Bucky, aren't they? He's fabulous.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lurdiak posted:

Man, they're really trying to recapture the Loki fangirl love with Bucky, aren't they? He's fabulous.

By giving him long hair? I think there was a bit more to it than that

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Timeless Appeal posted:

Timm and a lot of other people including Dini.
I get that really sad and hosed up stuff happens, but there also really hasn't been a superhero movie that I think really gets the optimism at the core of superheroes. Everything in the last act of The Dark Knight is awful, but it still ends with Batman and Gotham winning because of selflessness and optimism and all that. Stuff like Thor 2 is definitely a hoot, but Nolan's films are probably the purest statement on film in regards to what a superhero is.

Superman: The Movie and Superman 2 :colbert:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

He reminds me of something from a Capcom game, like Strider or some minor character from Mega Man.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Christopher Reeves's performance is amazing, but things break down if you really read into his actions. There is stuff like Clark going back to beat up the trucker that is very un-Superman and stuff in the cinematic cut like mind-wiping Lois that is straight up indefensible.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Waterhaul posted:

Don't forget the Fleischer's Superman Shorts which the DCAU owes a lot of its style and existence to

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

achillesforever6 posted:

Don't forget the Fleischer's Superman Shorts which the DCAU owes a lot of its style and existence to

Those things are nearly 100 years old and they still look amazing. Except Japatures.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

twistedmentat posted:

Those things are nearly 100 years old and they still look amazing. Except Japatures.
It also has my favorite gif of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Timeless Appeal posted:

Christopher Reeves's performance is amazing, but things break down if you really read into his actions. There is stuff like Clark going back to beat up the trucker that is very un-Superman and stuff in the cinematic cut like mind-wiping Lois that is straight up indefensible.

I think the schizophrenic nature of the Donner Superman films, especially 2, do create problems as they aren't complete films due to studio meddling. With that said though the introduction of Superman in 1, having him save people from a crashed helicopter, stopping a break in, stopping criminals escaping from the police and topping it off by rescuing a cat from a tree for a child and then introducing himself to Lois/humanity as "a friend". That's superhero defined.

• Locked thread