Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

E: quote is not edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Do you guys think that the Wii U might be able to take second place this generation?
After reading in more detail about the Xbone.. well it seems to have its fair share of problems too, and has its own hardware albatross in the form of the Kinect.
I think that the battle for second place may be hard-fought between the Xbone and Wii U, when before I thought that the Wii U would be a distant third.
Well, I don't want to derail this thread and talk about the Xbone too much but I think the Wii U might pull ahead due to global sales, outside the USA.
From the last gen I had a PS3 and Wii. This gen, I will probably end up with a PS4 and Wii U..
I think the Wii U will find its legs as a secondary console over the course of this generation.. but Nintendo will have to battle to lower the cost.
My thinking is that between the Xbone and PS4 most people would choose a PS4, and also that there isn't much point getting a PS4 and a Xbone.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

The Xbox is selling just as well as the PS4, so no.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Mattavist posted:

The Xbox is selling just as well as the PS4, so no.

I wouldn't say that. Early numbers still have PS4 at a 2:1 advantage. Obviously this is the holiday season, and they both could still tank. The numbers after March will be more indicative of the overall health of both consoles. Infamous: SS is due in March, Titanfall is due in April (IIRC). Those are both major exclusives. After all, the WiiU sold out its first batch and stagnated. Meanwhile, Sony said that PS3 was completely sold out at launch when it was laughably obvious that it wasn't. MS is kinda doing the same type of number massaging now. I think second place for WiiU is not out of the realm of possibility.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

Morby posted:

I wouldn't say that. Early numbers still have PS4 at a 2:1 advantage. Obviously this is the holiday season, and they both could still tank. The numbers after March will be more indicative of the overall health of both consoles. Infamous: SS is due in March, Titanfall is due in April (IIRC). Those are both major exclusives. After all, the WiiU sold out its first batch and stagnated. Meanwhile, Sony said that PS3 was completely sold out at launch when it was laughably obvious that it wasn't. MS is kinda doing the same type of number massaging now. I think second place for WiiU is not out of the realm of possibility.

Considering the PS4/Bone are well on their way to match WiiU's worldwide LTD numbers in only a couple months, I'd venture to say that second place is well outside the realm of possibilities of what could happen. Unless the WiiU magically sprouts a Wii Sports like seller then it'll be relegated to 3rd place for however long it's around.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Ka0 posted:

This part in special

Holy poo poo did they really put the right stick there?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

The_Frag_Man posted:

Do you guys think that the Wii U might be able to take second place this generation?
After reading in more detail about the Xbone.. well it seems to have its fair share of problems too, and has its own hardware albatross in the form of the Kinect.
I think that the battle for second place may be hard-fought between the Xbone and Wii U, when before I thought that the Wii U would be a distant third.
Well, I don't want to derail this thread and talk about the Xbone too much but I think the Wii U might pull ahead due to global sales, outside the USA.
From the last gen I had a PS3 and Wii. This gen, I will probably end up with a PS4 and Wii U..
I think the Wii U will find its legs as a secondary console over the course of this generation.. but Nintendo will have to battle to lower the cost.
My thinking is that between the Xbone and PS4 most people would choose a PS4, and also that there isn't much point getting a PS4 and a Xbone.

Anything is possible, really.

I think the Wii U is all but dead in Europe but Japan and North America are completely viable, especially if the Wii U takes another sales cut in 2014 and they have a few more games in store. If it can get to the price of being a legitimate economy console they have an opportunity to sell tons. I think their advertising efforts this holiday season have been better than anything they've done yet for the console and hopefully they continue in that direction.

Nintendo's best chance is to once again get gamers to embrace the PSWii/Wii360 method only this time hope it's PSU/PCii U/BoneU. If people stick to a console or PC for their third party games (also, PC needs third party companies to actually treat them like a priority) and then choose their second console based on exclusives, Nintendo will have a great shot at selling more systems. Especially when games like Mario Kart and Smash come out.

That said, I don't count on it. I think the Wii U will sell, at most, 30 million if I'm gonna throw down an estimate. I also don't count on any home console to sell 80 million consoles, let alone Nintendo's 100 with the Wii. The best selling gaming machine is going to be the 3DS and it'll probably outsell the PS4, Vita, Bone and Wii U combined. And that's fine by me.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

TheScott2K posted:

I have made the complaint that the Wii Classic Controller has the stick in a classic position and is what most people are accustomed to many times, and most often I am met with the, "well I like it" reply. I still stand by the fact that they had a perfectly good format and went and switched it for not discernable reason (except maybe copyrights?).

The Wii U Gamepad Pro has the sticks in a bad position, but, once you're using it you hardly notice in my experience. My complaint is mostly the lack of controller configuration in games, and the lack of utilization (Mario 3D World).

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I think the Wii U will sell, at most, 30 million if I'm gonna throw down an estimate.

:stare: lol no

this is laughably optimistic... the n64 barely broke 30 million

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It will be lucky to reach half that number.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Louisgod posted:

Considering the PS4/Bone are well on their way to match WiiU's worldwide LTD numbers in only a couple months, I'd venture to say that second place is well outside the realm of possibilities of what could happen. Unless the WiiU magically sprouts a Wii Sports like seller then it'll be relegated to 3rd place for however long it's around.

I think the Xbone is at risk of sales stagnating after Christmas just like the Wii U did after launch. We'll just have to wait and see.
I also think that Wii U sales will start to improve now that more games are coming out and the price is dropped and the advertising is improving, but I also think that it's going to be another year (E: at least) before the Wii U has a chance to really hit its stride.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The_Frag_Man posted:

I think the Xbone is at risk of sales stagnating after Christmas just like the Wii U did after launch. We'll just have to wait and see.
I also think that Wii U sales will start to improve now that more games are coming out and the price is dropped and the advertising is improving, but I also think that it's going to be another year (E: at least) before the Wii U has a chance to really hit its stride.

PS4 hasn't been released in Japan yet. Next Month this happens.

If it can't even hold on in Japan and being regulated to a very distant third place in North America then it's probably not going to last the normal console cycle. Sony has a load of indie Japanese developers under it's belt already and still has been accepting new studios.

Maybe the Wii-U is what will make Nintendo change it's business practices. Because NOJ and NOA are not run the same at all and having the American division not call it's own shots and gimping releases(i.e. Xenoblade) only hurts it's cause.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 31, 2013

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Its possible that the Wii U might outpace the bone but only if Microsoft gives up on it like in that one guy's weird fantasies. Otherwise no way.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I think that the Bone's sales momentum will be entirely dependent on if Sony can get enough PS4s in the wild to meet demand.

e:

hubris.height posted:

The Wii U Gamepad Pro has the sticks in a bad position, but, once you're using it you hardly notice in my experience. My complaint is mostly the lack of controller configuration in games, and the lack of utilization (Mario 3D World).

I was just playing SM3DW multiplayer with the Pro Controller last night :confused:

deadwing fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 31, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Xbone and PS4 are pretty much Coke and Pepsi at this point and the Wii U is like... not even 7-Up, it's more like Shasta.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Quest For Glory II posted:

The Xbone and PS4 are pretty much Coke and Pepsi at this point and the Wii U is like... not even 7-Up, it's more like Shasta.

Also it should be noted that Skyrim sold more in sheer numbers in the last steam sale than what most Wii-U games pull in months.

Skyrim is almost a three year old game. And not having the same structure as the X-Box One or PS4 means the Wii-U won't even get the next Elder Scrolls game.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah and it isn't even fun!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Jeffrey posted:

Yeah and it isn't even fun!

Skyrim is pretty fun. Sandbox world where you wreck poo poo and the DLC being available from the get go and being so cheap really made it a worthwhile purchase.

You could get the entire Elder Scrolls series for 30 dollars. This includes Morrowind and it's creation pack too as well as all DLC for it, Oblivion, and Skyrim.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar
Ugh let's not debate if Skyrim was fun or not.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I see a lot more people owning a Wii U and a PS4 or Xbox One than owning a PS4 and Xbox One without a Wii U. Then again I found the Wii to be Nintendo's least satisfying system and it's failure systems (n64, GameCube) to be a lot more fun. Wii u isn't going to make Wii money, but Nintendo will do more than well enough to keep going,

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

TheScott2K posted:

I like it, gently caress asymmetric analog sticks. Not as comfortable as a dual shock obviously but whatever I guess it's a compromise for the weird people who like Xbox pads.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Equilibrium posted:

I like it, gently caress asymmetric analog sticks. Not as comfortable as a dual shock obviously but whatever I guess it's a compromise for the weird people who like Xbox pads.

If sticks have to be at the same latitude I'd prefer them to be near the top myself, I think. Never tried that controller.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Equilibrium posted:

It matches the layout of the Wii U gamepad sticks and face buttons.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
But why are the gamepad sticks in that placement too? For stupid party game gimmick pad multiplayer it hurts because it makes the layouts different when laid between two people and it doesn't actually improve it for anyone. We've had a "default" placement, the Gamecube/Xbox one, for like a decade now. Why change it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

But why are the gamepad sticks in that placement too? For stupid party game gimmick pad multiplayer it hurts because it makes the layouts different when laid between two people and it doesn't actually improve it for anyone. We've had a "default" placement, the Gamecube/Xbox one, for like a decade now. Why change it?

Because we haven't had a "default" placement ever. The PS3/PS4 also uses a different layout than the X-Box 360. They're at the bottom instead of the top but they're symmetrical, as are many PC gamepads. It's fine to dislike a specific placement but going "why aren't they using what everyone else uses" doesn't work when every existing competition has their own layout as well.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Cliff Racer posted:

The only "default" analogue stick placement would be the PS ones, which has been around since 1997 and not changed since.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The_Frag_Man posted:

Titanfall is currently the most anticipated game on Amazon preorders for 2014, bar none. No Wii U exclusive game scratches the top 1000.

The representation of the Xbox One on forums like this does not reflect its actual sales and popularity, just like the ridiculous number of defenders the Wii U has online doesn't reflect its actual sales.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I also don't count on any home console to sell 80 million consoles, let alone Nintendo's 100 with the Wii.
You seriously think neither the Ps4 nor the Xbox One will be able to sell as much as the Ps3?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Well, considering the way one grips the gamepad, as the sides of a rectangle, your thumbs more naturally point up, rather than leaning in due to angled grip. Its personally way more comfortable for my thumb to remain resting in that position if its to be regularly on the right thumb stick for camera purposes (and drawing unite morphs as with W101), than it would be if it were in the same relative position as say, the C stick on a gamecube controller. And the pro controller is built to function the same as the gamepad but without the screen, so yeah.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Gamepad has both sticks in the upper position because they would actually get in the way of the buttons/d-pad if they were below, due to how it's gripped. The Pro Controller is the same because it literally exists to have a matching layout (since the Wii remote doesn't).

The Pro Controller is actually extremely comfortable. Gripping it naturally guides your thumb into a position where everything's equally accessible. The buttons don't feel cramped at all in the lower position.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 1, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

That said, I don't count on it. I think the Wii U will sell, at most, 30 million if I'm gonna throw down an estimate. I also don't count on any home console to sell 80 million consoles

PS4 just had the largest sales of a launch of any home console in history. Sony has developers and exclusive second and third party support out the wazoo and has the largest base out of any of the other companies.

They're already exceeding what the PS3 sold at this point. And being that they have actual support it's ensuring the PS4 is going to last a long long time, it's not going to be something that burns out.

Game consoles have existed for 50-60 years and they're really not going anywhere.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 1, 2014

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

The Taint Reaper posted:

They're already exceeding what the PS3 sold at this point. And being that they have actual support it's ensuring the PS4 is going to last a long long time, it's not going to be something that burns out.

Yeah but the PS3 had a bad rap then (remember "get two jobs to afford it"?)and it took years to get itself going.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Rudoku posted:

Yeah but the PS3 had a bad rap then (remember "get two jobs to afford it"?)and it took years to get itself going.

They learned from their mistakes from the PS3 and look where that got the next system.

Where as the Xbone and the Wii-U are almost in the same boat because they dragged it down with uneeded crap. Xbox One would have been fine if it was just a more powerful 360, Wii-U would have been fine if it just used the same internal setup that developers could use and didn't have a tablet controller that's super expensive.

It still amazes me that they bothered to correct the issues with the 3DS and then when the same thing happens to the Wii-U it's left dead in the water.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 1, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Right he's just saying "doing better than the PS3 at launch" is about on par with "selling better than the Game.com" or "a controller more comfortable than the Intellivision".

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

The Taint Reaper posted:

Wii-U would have been fine if it just used the same internal setup that developers could use and didn't have a tablet controller that's super expensive.

It still amazes me that they bothered to correct the issues with the 3DS and then when the same thing happens to the Wii-U it's left dead in the water.

No it wouldn't have been. If that is all they did it would just be a Nintendo branded 360 with added Wiimotes and without the 360's back uncatalogued, that would not have cut mustard. They needed to be stepping forward in some way. The gamepad didn't work but just doing nothing would have not been any better.

I suspect that pulling teams to work on 3DS titles had something to do with the paucity of first party releases too. You had that with, if I remember correctly, either Windwaker HD or Pikmin 3, where they had to pull team members away and stall production to complete 3DS titles that they needed done. Perhaps they will do that again but in reverse with whatever 3DS stuff they have being temporarily sidelined in order to give a boost to understaffed Wii U teams.

Thats the frustrating thing, in order to have fixed all of those problems you would have had to go back in time like four years (or more even.) Their misfortune has been less horribly visible than Microsoft's was this summer but it was just as indicative of misunderstanding consumer trends and the reality of game manufacturing.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 1, 2014

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

Game consoles have existed for 50-60 years and they're really not going anywhere.

I'm not sure about that!

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Install Windows posted:

Right he's just saying "doing better than the PS3 at launch" is about on par with "selling better than the Game.com" or "a controller more comfortable than the Intellivision".

Yeah, but he didn't say "better than the Ps3 at launch", he said "better than any system ever at launch".

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mattavist posted:

I'm not sure about that!

Magnavox Odyssey was released in the 1960's.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Taint Reaper posted:

Interesting to hear August 1972 was actually in the 1960s.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm not sure about that either!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Install Windows posted:

Interesting to hear August 1972 was actually in the 1960s.

My mistake that was the retail date, I mixed it up for when they started with the prototypes in 1968.

• Locked thread