Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jesus, he's cracking them out. 'Til all are drunk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
So apparently TFCon: Chicago is a thing now.

This is cool because it seems like its run by the same folks, flying to Chicago is way cheaper than flying into Toronto, and I've never been to Chicago before and it would be a good reason to go.

The lovely thing is I'm now torn between TFCon Toronto and Chicago now. Chicago is cheaper and I'd like to see Chicago, but there's no poutine and cool Canadian buddies there. And there's a local con two hours from where I live. Going to 3 Transformers conventions in a single year is borderline insanity and would never work for my finances. It's bad enough placing me in a room full of toy robits just once a year.

EDIT:

That Skids looks rad as hell and I think there's a reason why he's the one in that wave that I can't find.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 31, 2013

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Chicago is a totally rad city, and a blast to look around and explore. I might have to look into that as I have friends there and could stay with them...

EDIT: it's totally the same weekend I'll be in Chicago anyway! Sold! See you there!

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 31, 2013

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Getting to Canada from the South sucks financially, so I might luck out and be able to do this.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
As someone living in the Metro Detroit area this is exciting news. The drive times to Chicago and Toronto are about the same, but at least I won't have to go through customs, don't need a passport and don't have to worry about the Ontario Provincial Police.

There's no poutine, but I suggest Lou Malnati's for authentic Chicago pizza and Portillo's for Italian beef sandwiches and Chicago hotdogs.

Just never put ketchup on a hotdog in Chicago and you'll be fine.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Keldroc posted:

furman stuff

Thanks for saying all that so I didn't have to. I agree with every bit of your post. The only part I want to comment on specifically is:

Keldroc posted:

I think this is a top quality point and one that people don't really think about enough. When it comes down to it, the G1 cartoon was almost more of a radio play than anything else. Yes, the animation was there as a guide, but who among us doesn't have a far better-animated G1 cartoon in our heads when we think about it? The music, voice acting and scripts really created the world and characters in our heads, the visuals were just sort of there to show us what stuff looked like.

In the first two seasons, every episode or two, the animators woke up and put a fantastically illustrated sequence in the show. I wish I had a good example off the top of my head. Like, suddenly it's on par with the movie (or better). Every time that happens I feel physically jarred, like I'm suddenly seeing in color. The only thing I've seen that compares shores up your point-- it reminds me of when I watch the reconstruction of Power of the Daleks, and the picture starts MOVING instead of being still photos (holy poo poo!).

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

"It never ends, does it?"

Too fuckin' right, mate.

e:

HiriseSoftware posted:

Just never put ketchup on a hotdog in Chicago and you'll be fine.

What, is Chicago a town full of Dirty Harrys?

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 31, 2013

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

HiriseSoftware posted:

There's no poutine, but I suggest Lou Malnati's for authentic Chicago pizza and Portillo's for Italian beef sandwiches and Chicago hotdogs.

Portillos is the bomb, yo. Gino's for pizza. I think Hot Doug's does poutine with duck. Somewhere definitely does.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

In the first two seasons, every episode or two, the animators woke up and put a fantastically illustrated sequence in the show. I wish I had a good example off the top of my head. Like, suddenly it's on par with the movie (or better). Every time that happens I feel physically jarred, like I'm suddenly seeing in color. The only thing I've seen that compares shores up your point-- it reminds me of when I watch the reconstruction of Power of the Daleks, and the picture starts MOVING instead of being still photos (holy poo poo!).

I think they used up most of the good animation in the very first episode:

Phy posted:

What, is Chicago a town full of Dirty Harrys?

I don't know, but even Obama has something to say about it:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/06/03/obama-you-shouldnt-put-ketchup-on-a-hot-dog/ posted:

President Barack Obama was born in Hawaii and didn’t move to Chicago until he was 23 years old, but nevertheless, he proved Friday that he is, in fact, a true Chicagoan.

The proof? He confirmed that he is against putting ketchup on hot dogs.

President Obama was in Toledo, Ohio, Friday, and stopped for lunch with that city’s mayor, Michael Bell. Obama’s meal of choice a chili dog at Rudy’s Hot Dog in Toledo, but the subject of ketchup on came up during lunch.

“You shouldn’t put ketchup on your hot dog,” the president said straightforwardly.

It may be acceptable in some parts of the country, but as any Chicagoan knows, there are fewer infractions more serious in these parts than slathering a hot dog with ketchup.

The_Doctor posted:

Portillos is the bomb, yo. Gino's for pizza. I think Hot Doug's does poutine with duck. Somewhere definitely does.

Going a quick search, I guess you're right - poutines in Chicago. Gammatron should be happy.

HiriseSoftware fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 31, 2013

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Gammatron 64 posted:

So apparently TFCon: Chicago is a thing now.

What what what what what what omg everyone everybody go go go to this!

This is a $30 bus trip, a $60 car fill-up, or a $120 plane ticket away. I hope it's not the first week of June.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
October 24-26.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

HiriseSoftware posted:

There's no poutine, but I suggest Lou Malnati's for authentic Chicago pizza and Portillo's

Don't listen to this guy. You can safely skip Chicago 'pizza'.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

G1 was done by multiple animation studios, most notably Toei in Japan and AKOM in Korea. Toei did all of season one and some of season 2. AKOM did most of season 2 and almost all of 3 and 4.

The animation in season one isn't perfect and sometimes has errors, but seasons 2-4 are riddled with lots of cheap animation and tons of errors and just general sloppiness. You can tell when you're watching an AKOM episode because Ultra Magnus turned green and is shorter than Bumblebee, has three arms and is moving around like a He-man character.

This is also why select episodes like Call of the Primitives, Microbots and Dweller in the Depths have really good animation.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

This is also why select episodes like Call of the Primitives, Microbots and Dweller in the Depths have really good animation.

Season 3's animation is so horrendous I have barely seen any of it. I would appreciate a complete list of S3 episodes that don't look like crap.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Season 3's animation is so horrendous I have barely seen any of it. I would appreciate a complete list of S3 episodes that don't look like crap.

That's pretty much the complete list right there. And Microbots is season 2. So there are pretty much just 2 season 3 episodes that don't look like utter poo poo.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Hey that's two more than I thought! I know what I'm doing with an hour of my New Year's Day.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think Simon Furman's old Transformers was above average for an 80s toy tie-in, but were just fairly average comics overall. I wouldn't say Transformers was some amazing, groundbreaking comic. The reason why Furman's Transformers and Larry Hama's G.I. Joe stood out is because they actually put some effort into them and seemed to enjoy what they were doing. That's more than most toy comics got.

I think they were well above average if you were the right age at the time. Reading them now is pure nostalgia carrying you along, but when they were originally released I was pretty blown away that this book that had been "introduce new toy, have new toys fight, never see new toys again" for years was suddenly building to something and then paid it off after about two years. Larry Hama had been doing that since the beginning of GI Joe, but as you say, Transformers was much more about parading the new product in front of the camera. I think Furman deserves credit for finally sitting down and saying "I'm going to work up something resembling a core cast and tell a drat story in this thing" and carrying through on it.

quote:

Regeneration One is really kind of lame and not catching me at all, though. I think this and X-Men Forever are pretty good reasons why you shouldn't try to continue a comic after taking a 20 year break.

Well, that's kind of what we were afraid of when it was announced, yeah? Especially after Furman's IDW run. I think Spike's right and he's doing the Stan Bush thing. The most shocking thing to me about Furman's IDW writing is that he doesn't seem to have really improved much as a storyteller in the intervening 20 years. Maybe it's just a mindset he falls into with Transformers, since I haven't read any of his non-TF material, but it all does seem eerily like Stan Bush's endless re-recordings of The Touch.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Keldroc posted:

The most shocking thing to me about Furman's IDW writing is that he doesn't seem to have really improved much as a storyteller in the intervening 20 years.

Are you telling me he's NOT purposely putting a quirky retro style on his writing? Maybe I'm just influenced by the terrible Wildman art, but I don't remember his first 100 IDW issues ever being as poorly/cheesily written as Regeneration One. Surely he's doing a riff on typical 80s style comic writing...right?

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Are you telling me he's NOT purposely putting a quirky retro style on his writing? Maybe I'm just influenced by the terrible Wildman art, but I don't remember his first 100 IDW issues ever being as poorly/cheesily written as Regeneration One. Surely he's doing a riff on typical 80s style comic writing...right?

The dialogue in Regeneration One definitely has a purposeful weird twist to it.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

I'm including the IDW stuff in my comment there, although obviously the RG1 stuff is worse, possibly intentionally. It's not just his panel-to-panel writing, it's the fact that he couldn't pull anything together in a timely manner in the IDW ongoing until he was essentially told "wrap it up, we're done with waiting for you to get to a point." He tries to make all his stories huge epic operatic style things but without the looming threat of Unicron he struggles to come up with a replacement to justify the buildup. The Dead Universe is clearly a Unicron replacement, but there's no "there" there, especially in comparison to the easily understandable (if overused at this point) "big thing will eat planet" threat of Unicron. He was so wrapped up in making everything a JJ Abrams mystery box that he forgot that you need to tell the story once in a while.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

strangehamster posted:

What what what what what what omg everyone everybody go go go to this!

This is a $30 bus trip, a $60 car fill-up, or a $120 plane ticket away. I hope it's not the first week of June.

drat, I think this might be a must for me. I wanted to do TFCon anyways, cause gently caress that Botcon nonsense.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Thread meetup? Thread meetup? :D

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

The Rage posted:

I wanted to do TFCon anyways, cause gently caress that Botcon nonsense.

gently caress all that Botcon nonsense forever. Chicago pizza is something everyone should try, exceptions will be made if you have lactose intolerance.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

strangehamster posted:

gently caress all that Botcon nonsense forever. Chicago pizza is something everyone should try, exceptions will be made if you have lactose intolerance.

It's basically a casserole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8IKxbOpt0E

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Bad news, Toronto. I might not go in you this year.

TFCon Chicago: a way to keep Americans out of Canada. :canada:

Toronto is an awesome city and I loving love TFCon: Toronto, but getting there is either a 14 hour drive or $600 flights, both of which really loving suck. :negative:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Wow Skids looks better than I thought. The Package made it look like he was going to use that lovely hollow dark blue plastic that Darkmount had, but it looks much nicer in that video. Also his vehicle mode looks to be the size of Original Classics Bumblebee and not the new tiny almost scout sized vehicle modes of the current bots.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Gammatron 64 posted:

Bad news, Toronto. I might not go in you this year.

TFCon Chicago: a way to keep Americans out of Canada. :canada:

Toronto is an awesome city and I loving love TFCon Toronto.

I flew through Chicago to go to TFcon, heard a ton of French, and handled a lot of plastic money. I walked eight miles to some kind of state liquor store with Spiderdrake and ate edible oil doughnuts at Tim Hortons. I liked it a lot, but if I can have even one-half the fun without any metric unit conversions, intl. customs - always Chicago.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

The Taint Reaper posted:

Wow Skids looks better than I thought. The Package made it look like he was going to use that lovely hollow dark blue plastic that Darkmount had, but it looks much nicer in that video. Also his vehicle mode looks to be the size of Original Classics Bumblebee and not the new tiny almost scout sized vehicle modes of the current bots.

Skids is fantastic, and is one of the few Transformers out there nearly as horribly beweaponed as Cybertron Defense Hot Shot. The very clear Milne influence is great too, I'm digging how Hasbro is starting to design toys based on the character's appearance in the comics rather than vice versa. Only niggle I have is that he's incredibly back-heavy, and it takes a lot of fiddling to get him to stand upright in a decent pose.

Some tips that the instructions aren't quite clear on: swing the ankles as far forward as you can, they'll snap in under the knees, you can fold out the 'toes' all the way forward, they'll click in, and don't forget to pull the shoulders all the way out, which will free up shoulder movement immensely.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

strangehamster posted:

I liked it a lot, but if I can have even one-half the fun without any metric unit conversions, intl. customs - always Chicago.
Aren't there circumstances preventing you from going to TFCon this year anyway?

I'd rather go to Chicago than Mississauga myself, but I can't speak for all Canadians on that one. My sister said the art galleries and restaurants were all fantastic, stuff like that, kinda exciting.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
New Designer for 2014 Masterpiece Series Transformers

The guy that's taking over is the same guy that did the first nine original MPs. Not sure how I feel about that...Prime was really good for its time, but outdated now, so hopefully this new guy has kept up with the times. He also designed Megatron and Rodimus, who are both very fiddly and fragile.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

catch22 posted:

The guy that's taking over is the same guy that did the first nine original MPs. Not sure how I feel about that...Prime was really good for its time, but outdated now, so hopefully this new guy has kept up with the times. He also designed Megatron and Rodimus, who are both very fiddly and fragile.

quote:

Mr Kobayashi's other Transformers design credits include the Alternity series.

Ouch. That is not encouraging.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

strangehamster posted:

I flew through Chicago to go to TFcon, heard a ton of French, and handled a lot of plastic money. I walked eight miles to some kind of state liquor store with Spiderdrake and ate edible oil doughnuts at Tim Hortons. I liked it a lot, but if I can have even one-half the fun without any metric unit conversions, intl. customs - always Chicago.

Well, I've been to the Chicago airport, too. Same applies to Detroit, Baltimore and Atlanta, but I can't really say I've truly been to those cities as I've never stepped foot outside said airports. You know... it's probably best to not step foot into Detroit or Baltimore.

It would be cool to see Chicago just because I haven't really been before. I wanted to go to NYCC mainly because I just wanted to go to NYC, because the last time I was in New York I was probably 7 years old and I barely remember it.

Then again, I checked plane tickets, and if I get them now, Toronto is only like $40-50 more round trip. We're talking $380 vs $340. I got hosed bad because I didn't decide on what days I was going until a couple months beforehand.

A part of me wants to do TFcon Toronto... Chicago... and Charticon.

God that's a terrible idea.

Peter Bazooka
Sep 29, 2005

This isn’t really anything I think I like.

catch22 posted:

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Hironori_Kobayashi

I feel sort of bad for all the people that say they sold everything to go MP only because his track record isn't that great.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

In more positive MP news, a better silhouette of Wheeljack.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

catch22 posted:

Grimlock is fine, OG Prime was good for its time and there are still aspects of it I prefer to MP10 (basically the arms and legs), Starscream's main issue is the hip kibble which wasn't his idea anyway - some dude added it to his original design, which was very much like how the current 2.0 version of it is.

But yes, Megatron and, especially Hot Rod are letdowns and all the Alterntity stuff I've seen seems to be straight up G1 Datsun/Porsche design modified for whatever car you care to mention and with an bizarrely inappropriate head on top so meh, not exactly encouraging. Still, let's not have a meltdown just yet, new year, new optimism. Or something.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Here's a really interesting interview with Ron Friedman, writer of Transformers: The Movie. He goes into how he didn't want to kill Optimus Prime and the fact that the Matrix is basically his attempt to counteract Hasbro's blindness toward the value of their own product's characters. Further evidence that the stuff that stands the test of time does so because the people who wrote it put real effort and thought into it.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 31, 2013

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Grimlock is fine, OG Prime was good for its time and there are still aspects of it I prefer to MP10 (basically the arms and legs), Starscream's main issue is the hip kibble which wasn't his idea anyway - some dude added it to his original design, which was very much like how the current 2.0 version of it is.

But yes, Megatron and, especially Hot Rod are letdowns and all the Alterntity stuff I've seen seems to be straight up G1 Datsun/Porsche design modified for whatever car you care to mention and with an bizarrely inappropriate head on top so meh, not exactly encouraging. Still, let's not have a meltdown just yet, new year, new optimism. Or something.

Forgot Grimlock; personally I think he's a lot better than just fine. The 2.0 Starscream design is really good, and if that was basically his design before someone hosed it up for some bizarre reason, that's pretty encouraging. Hopefully he's familiar with the general criticism of his past MP figures and takes them into consideration.

catch22 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 31, 2013

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I checked that wiki page for what he's done and eehhhh. He did the two worst Masterpieces and didn't do the one good Alternity mold. He didn't even do MP Starscream, he did the Movie one, which I really like? He did Unicron and the Legends Devastator too which are both neato! Overall he's got a pretty good record for me. I hope he keeps with the release style of multiple smaller MPs with a big one every now and then.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Keldroc posted:

it all does seem eerily like Stan Bush's endless re-recordings of The Touch.

The chief difference being is that Simon Furman's 80s output was just above-average comics writing, whereas The Touch (and Dare) is, was, and always will be a masterpiece. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chicago pizza is delicious as long as you're going at it from the angle that it is completely unlike what you expect when you order pizza. Think of it more as a hearty tomato and sausage pie and you're golden.