Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

If that's their range of their missiles I don't know what we're all worrying about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Soviet Commubot posted:

This map is intended to combat the notion that Brittany is far on the periphery of civilization.

Is this a common notion? Seems odd.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Breizh and its Bros.

John Charity Spring posted:

Yeah never heard of it before. Unless it's about the Finistère department whose name means "end of land"?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

John Charity Spring posted:

I'm not sure how common it is but it's been a common argument in the French national media in favor of the ecotax, the source of the recent Bonnets Rouges movement. I've also heard that sort of sentiment traveling for work in Lyon, Gard and Paris, but again I'm not sure how widespread it is. This map was made as a part of the whole Bonnets Rouges movement and should be understood in that context.

Kurtofan posted:

Breizh and its Bros.

I enjoy this more than I should.

Kurtofan posted:

Yeah never heard of it before. Unless it's about the Finistère department whose name means "end of land"?

It's funny because in Breton it's called Penn ar Bed, which means both "end of the world" and "beginning of the world".

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Is it similar to the notion of flyover states?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

jb7 posted:

Is it similar to the notion of flyover states?

In a very superficial sense. Paris is the economic and political center of France in a way that no city or even region of the US is. This map, and the movement it spawned from, is a reaction to a feeling of being isolated, neglected and ignored by the center of power. Honestly, most of France is equally neglected and ignored by the center of power but there are a number of cultural factors fueling this reaction to it.

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

I am enjoying that most of those 30 people forgot Antarctica, bad enough missing a country, missing a continent is another level.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

First of all, is there a general language / language history discussion thread?

Let me just describe the situation in Dutch. We have three genders, masculine, feminine and neutral. However, we only have two definite articles, de and het. De is used for masculine, feminine and plural words, while het is used for neutral words. All diminutives (often ending on -je) are neutral. Like in German, we have the word 'meisje', which means (little) girl but is often used for girls in general. It's a diminutive so it gets 'het'. Its root is the word 'meid', which is a big girl. Meid is a feminine word and gets 'de'. So that at least clears up why 'meisje' is a neutral word.

While the difference between masculine and feminine words doesn't matter for the articles, it does matter when referring to them. A masculine word gets 'he', a feminine word gets 'she' and a neutral word gets 'it', unless you're talking about something with an actual gender like a cat or a girl.

However, in this case we very often default to 'he' for any word gender. 'He' sounds neutral (not the gender, just... neutral), while 'she' in certain cases sounds like you're specifically giving the object female characteristics. I just looked up a bunch of common words in the dictionary, and all feminine ones I could think of had 'f(m)' as gender. That means it's officially/originally feminine, but using them as a masculine word is fine.

So, the masculine/feminine thing exists but is not that important in practice and most people won't even hear if you get that 'wrong', as long as you default to 'he'. Good thing is that in speech 'he' is even accepted for neutral words.

I am from Antwerp. In our dialect, we actually do differentiate the genders. Basically it's dieye (to approximate the sound for English speakers), when pointing at a male object, as opposed to 'die' (same as in Dutch for both genders) for a feminine one.
I would say 'dieye (transliterated in English) man' but 'dieye vrouw (woman)' sounds really weird. This also extends to nouns, eg. 'die fles (bottle)' but 'dieye jas (coat)'. I got taught in primary school that, if you're from Antwerp, you can derive grammatical gender in Dutch this way. It doesn't always work, though: the first example I thought of was 'dieye (m) boek' (book), though in Dutch, it's a neutral word ('dat boek').

Antwan3K fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 31, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Stalingrad posted:

I am enjoying that most of those 30 people forgot Antarctica, bad enough missing a country, missing a continent is another level.

Politically motivated map of Antarctica!

Filthy British! :arghfist::mad: Return our rightful Argentinian Antarctic clay!!

EDIT: And here is if you assigned claims by location on a longitude line.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

I reckon Argentina would construct a completely new island just to block the Falklands, if this were to be implemented. After all, Dubai did it, it's not impossible.

Antwan3K fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 31, 2013

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Antwan3K posted:

I reckon Argentina would construct a completely new island just to block the Falklands, if this were to be implemented. After all, Dubai did it, it's not impossible.

The UK would proceed to simply build an island directly to the south of New Argentina, prompting Argentina to build New New Argentina to the south of the New Falklands, prompting the UK to construct the New New Falklands to the south of New New Argentina, and so on.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The 124 states of America.

I have no idea what criteria was used to determine what state proposal movements did and did not succeed.

It looks like the only states that are the same are Connecticut, Iowa and Hawaii. The territories seem the same, too, but I'm not 100% sure on what small little islands are/are not part of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Island, Guam, etc...

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I sure wouldn't want to live in "Forgottonia"!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

I have no idea what criteria was used to determine what state proposal movements did and did not succeed.

It looks like the only states that are the same are Connecticut, Iowa and Hawaii. The territories seem the same, too, but I'm not 100% sure on what small little islands are/are not part of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Island, Guam, etc...

South Carolina's the same, and I think North Carolina is too.

I like how we just annexed a good chunk of Mexico as well :v:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

No Safe Word posted:

South Carolina's the same, and I think North Carolina is too.

South Carolina is, but North Carolina has a small area in Virginia added to it it looks like.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

No Safe Word posted:

Mexico? You mean foreign-occupied South California? :911:

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Glorious Cascadia given to the easterners? Riot.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
As a Vermonter, I'm curious about that biy of NY/Empire that "became" Vermont.

It looks like it's the lake George/Queensbury region...I wasn't aware there was any kind of Vermont-movement there.

And while i was aware that Killington has wanted for YEARS to become part of New Hampshire, but I wasn't aware that Winhall wanted to be part of NH, too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Glorious Cascadia given to the easterners? Riot.

Western Washington is full of assholes and Western Oregon wouldn't want to be unified with them anyway.

(The same is probably true with Eastern Washington & Oregon but there's only like 200,000 people in Eastern Oregon).

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

DrBouvenstein posted:

:pwn:
Is that saying Winneconne would be the capital of "Red Wisconsin" (ahahaha)? Not Green Bay? Winneconne has 2000 people. Uh, cool map.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Space Bat posted:

:pwn:
Is that saying Winneconne would be the capital of "Red Wisconsin" (ahahaha)? Not Green Bay? Winneconne has 2000 people. Uh, cool map.

No it's saying Winneconne would be its own territory/state, because apparently they had some secession effort.

e: here, the map description is pretty readily available in the link on the legend, so don't go thinking it's a serious proposal

No Safe Word fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 31, 2013

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

God drat yes put all the awful california conservatives into their own ghetto state called Reagan.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

It looks it assumes that all of them succeeded.

Hexaemeron
Oct 19, 2003

Florence Henderson's hand-jobs have Wesonality!
Not only does Westylvania not make any etymological sense, Pennsyltucky is a much better name.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Deltasquid posted:

I'm unsure whether the artist here drew a massive Madagascar or a tiny displaced Australia.

Apparently they also believe Antarctica is counterbalanced by an Arctica.

e: Whoops, kept a window open too long

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've never seen a proposal for Superior that included the Iron Range of Minnesota. I only ever lived in the east of the UP so I don't even know how much sense that would make anyway.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Baronjutter posted:

God drat yes put all the awful california conservatives into their own ghetto state called Reagan.
No! Those aren't all conservative areas you're sticking them with!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Lycus posted:

No! Those aren't all conservative areas you're sticking them with!

On the other hand, that state includes the most beautiful mountain range in the United States, and it'd be nice to finally buy a condo in Yosemite Valley.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

For Dade up in northwest Georgia, a bullshit legend. It has held the nickname over the years of "the independent state of Dade" because until the 1930s, the only way to get to it was via Tennessee or Alabama. Even now, there is only one state highway and it is curvy.

I've never heard of a south Georgia proposal and figure it's pure fantasy. It looks like it's divided along the fall line. There were a couple of proposals to get the state capital moved to Macon in the 1930s but Atlanta was quite established so it was defeated soundly. And before Atlanta, the capital was in Milledgeville. No one really liked Milledgeville, but I've never heard of any separatist movements because of it.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

For Dade up in northwest Georgia, a bullshit legend. It has held the nickname over the years of "the independent state of Dade" because until the 1930s, the only way to get to it was via Tennessee or Alabama. Even now, there is only one state highway and it is curvy.

I've never heard of a south Georgia proposal and figure it's pure fantasy. It looks like it's divided along the fall line. There were a couple of proposals to get the state capital moved to Macon in the 1930s but Atlanta was quite established so it was defeated soundly. And before Atlanta, the capital was in Milledgeville. No one really liked Milledgeville, but I've never heard of any separatist movements because of it.

I grew up in South Georgia in the 80s and heard talk of splitting the state constantly. You wouldn't believe how up in arms those rednecks get about the idea black people in Atlanta might make a decision that affects them. Also GA is one of those states with a capital and "outstate" and "outstate" tends to hate the capital for having all the money and power and leaving the rest of the place to rot. Similarly south of the fall line is different economically and culturally from the Piedmont and "Mountain Houjees."

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

chairface posted:

I grew up in South Georgia in the 80s and heard talk of splitting the state constantly. You wouldn't believe how up in arms those rednecks get about the idea black people in Atlanta might make a decision that affects them. Also GA is one of those states with a capital and "outstate" and "outstate" tends to hate the capital for having all the money and power and leaving the rest of the place to rot. Similarly south of the fall line is different economically and culturally from the Piedmont and "Mountain Houjees."

I'm from deep south Georgia, too, and grew up in the 1980s, but must have been a bit too young to remember. You know it's a cultural difference when there's a big Facebook group about seeing real snow fall. Snow that disappeared within a couple of hours.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 31, 2013

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

DrBouvenstein posted:

I wonder why he didn't include Transylvania?

edit: And Providence should be Providence Plantations, like the official name of the state, "Rhode Island and Providence Plantations".

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

DrSunshine posted:

Politically motivated map of Antarctica!

Filthy British! :arghfist::mad: Return our rightful Argentinian Antarctic clay!!

Funny thing is, the Argentine claims on the Falklands and Antarctica are mutually exclusive because of the reasons for each. If they're claiming Antarctica on terra nullius grounds, they lose their claim on the Falklands; if they claim the Falklands on the grounds that they were there first, they lose their claim on Antarctica.

Not that it matters to Kirchner, the most European South American president in decades, from decrying the evil imperialism of Europeans.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

TinTower posted:

Funny thing is, the Argentine claims on the Falklands and Antarctica are mutually exclusive because of the reasons for each. If they're claiming Antarctica on terra nullius grounds, they lose their claim on the Falklands; if they claim the Falklands on the grounds that they were there first, they lose their claim on Antarctica.

Not that it matters to Kirchner, the most European South American president in decades, from decrying the evil imperialism of Europeans.
I don't want to :can: or argue for one side or the other. The entire conflict primarily serves as a distraction from actual issues.

The Argentine claim for the archipelagos in the south Atlantic doesn't have to do with "being there first", it has to do with tracing their legal ownership through to Spanish administration. The then-Malouines were first owned by France and then transferred to Spain, and Argentina claims continuity there as the successor of the Spanish state, tracing a line of legal ownership from the moment the islands passed to Spanish rule to the present (claiming as inapplicable the foundation the British state gives for its administration for various reasons). Thus according to the Argentine government it doesn't have anything to do with being the first settlers or with the populations that are there.

And as ridiculous as the whole thing is to both the Argentine and British governments I don't see what somebody's ethnicity has to do with it (or how the current Argentine head of state is any more or less "European" than previous Argentine executives, who are all from solid European stock).

Map of the Battle of the Falklands (8 December 1914)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So long as we're sharing WWI maps, not many people remember the third side in the conflict.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Map of the Battle of the Falklands (8 December 1914)

That wasn't much of a battle but more of the Germans got spotted by a vastly superior force then hunted down and killed.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Dusseldorf posted:

That wasn't much of a battle but more of the Germans got spotted by a vastly superior force then hunted down and killed.
Battle or not its only fair it should carry the same title as however you're going to define the engagement off Coronel.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Peanut President posted:

Here's the 2013 version:

And here's the source:
http://nlihc.org/oor/2013

Knocked this up quick for comparison, does not account for payroll taxes, should make a legend and play with it so less ugly.

Statistics come from CMHC (Average Rent by Province) and Wikipedia (Minimum Wage). Now that I think about it this has probably already been done better in the Canadian Housing thread. It's for (average) two-bedroom rentals, which should also be on there somewhere.

RedFlag fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 1, 2014

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
This is ridiculous amounts of fun: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...k_together.html

(7 mins 44 seconds total)

In a sense, I admit to admiring how openly and blatantly dirty American politics are; most countries have the good graces to at least attempt to hide their corruption.

In another sense, man, gently caress America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

So long as we're sharing WWI maps, not many people remember the third side in the conflict.

That map is clearly a fake. The Netherlands were neutral for the entire duration of that war. :colbert: