Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Germ posted:

I like this quite a bit. I'm guessing it looks really sharp at 3 feet away (tabletop distance). Up close the layers really stand out, but I'm guessing that given a bit of distance, it blends together and looks aces. The only difference I see between this and the top-tier NMM stuff is blending. You really nailed it. Great job!

Glad you like him! Yeah I think it'd smooth out more from a tabletop view, especially on a bunch of guys, but for the time spent I'd probably prefer freehanding all over them, or maybe headbutting a wall repeatedly.

That little guy felt a bit like a cop-out this month, but I also just finished a 4.5k daemon army for an apocalypse game yesterday (I won!). I had a ton of other stuff getting painted up for that, but I didn't oath it cuz I had no idea if I'd get any of it done in time (I did!).

IrvingWashington posted:

Oath Complete!

Now that's what I was going for! Really tasty, I want it on a metal album cover. It makes me so happy to see a chaos android painted up all nice like that (with all due credit to the 'eavy metal scheme, of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Leperflesh posted:

When Krushgroove posted that, there were more than 24 hours left.

And now there's only 3 hours and 20 minutes left! :v:

NO MORE PAINTING FOR 2013 AFTER THAT!! This is it! Finish your oaths before the end!

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...
Gonna have to declare oath failed on mine.

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

...Out of this period a particularly cunning and strong Ork will emerge as the leader and the other Orks will gather round him...
:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

Too dang close. Not happy with how it turned out, really rushed it this month.

Jurnal:

NMM Golden Aquila.

Rear door grating. That turned out terrible.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Oath complete! My computer is on the fritz and so I have to post from my phone. Sadly that means no name in the photo. But it is complete!

Sorry didn't look that big on the phone.

TarDolphinorShark fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 1, 2014

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Oath Complete
Instead of taking my time on one model, I just ended up not having any time at all.

Jurnal is the NMM on the magazine and barrel, as well as the attempt on the nanofiber suit stuff.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Mmtheblue posted:

Rear door grating. That turned out terrible.

I obviously don't know what you were going for but I think that grating turned out, well, grate. :downsrim:

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008
:siren:Oath Complete!:siren:

Bonuses Claimed:
  • I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01 - Gondor Statue as a Game/Objective Marker
  • Box Art

Save Da Whales Complete!

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

IrvingWashington posted:

Oath Complete!

Nice chrome!

ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

Oath complete!

3 Sea Guard and 3 Phoenix Guard!

Sea Guard command group with pink sashes to match October's unit.

Phoenix Guard command group with a Jurnal NMM banner top.

I should have not painted something involving so much metal everywhere else. And I should really time things better and not have to finish my bases at the last minute, but whatever.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
Oath Complete

I tried NMM. It didn't work. I think I'm going to have to paint over it more traditionally at some point in the future.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Oath Complete

Jurnal is NMM on the inquisitors powerfist, gun and backpack. This is also a Themed Group

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
In the name of Gondor and the White City of Kings, I declare my :hist101:Oath Complete!:hist101:

Jurnal is the NMM attempt on the sword.

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010
Oath Complete

NMM is the dude himself; I was trying to make it look like he was made out of a mettalic, shiny stuff. Like the dude in Terminator 2.

It worked in some areas, but not others. The wings kind of ended up looking like something from a Van Gogh painting O__o

P.S
Thank you for my points, Mr. Bachtere :3:

Namenlos fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 1, 2014

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Oath Complete
Guess what happens when you have an assignment due and then forget to take your meds? You forget to paint eyes and completely half-arse the NMM! :yayclod: Poor little guy; maybe I'll redo him in the future, when I can actually spend some time on him.

Sole.Sushi posted:

Special Cool-Person Point: Schmetterling!

I shouldn't have to tell you why this doesn't work, but it's because of these many, obvious reasons that I love these guys. Art evokes emotions, and I find it hilarious that even in undeath, these guys gotta keep them locks in top shape.
Yay! Points! I had planned an elaborate photoshoot of the undead fashion show, but time constraints ended that idea. I enjoyed making tiny plaits out of greenstuff. :3:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Namenlos posted:

It worked in some areas, but not others. The wings kind of ended up looking like something from a Van Gogh painting O__o

We should draw a distinction perhaps between "worked" and "was exactly what you were going for" because that dude works as gently caress :staredog:

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete

NMM Jurnal is the priest and quartermaster, both painted with no metallic paints. The priest's man-catcher came out better that the quartermaster's "gold" breastplate, but I'm happy enough with both.

These guys are a Themed Group

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Coming in under the wire with an :siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

The Jurnal is the barbarian's sword and javelins, most visible on her sword. (I did the axe on her belt and most of her armor using actual metallic paints 'cos I was out of time and patience.)

Not very happy about my work this month, but oh well, at least it's in almost on time. I'm still trying to figure out how to make my accidentally-pastel dragon.more menacing.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
:siren:OATH COMPLETE:siren:

I couldn't do the NMM so I did the weathering jurnal instead(Rusty metals)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

A brightly colored DKK model is not something I think I'd have ever thought of, but it's a great job!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BRUSHES DOWN EVERYONE! It's now officially 2014 in the TG Oath Thread!

Rikthor posted:

:siren:Oath Complete!:siren:

[b]Bonuses Claimed:
  • I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01 - Gondor Statue as a Game/Objective Marker
  • Box Art

Did you do the Jurnal? Also, I gave you credit for Double the Fun, since you did two bonus things.

TarDolphinorShark posted:

Oath complete! My computer is on the fritz and so I have to post from my phone. Sadly that means no name in the photo. But it is complete!

You're severely breaking tables: please edit your post to put your image into <timg> tags. Also: I assume no Jurnal this month.

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Did you do the Jurnal? Also, I gave you credit for Double the Fun, since you did two bonus things.

Nah I didn't

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Fuuuuuuck I literally just finished, too. :(

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

You're severely breaking tables: please edit your post to put your image into <timg> tags. Also: I assume no Jurnal this month.

Sorry it didn't look nearly that big on the awful app. I did not get a chance to include the jurnal for this month either.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Whats this? The year is nearly a day old and no one has a single thing oathed?

I Grey Hunter, Oath one Scourge starter set from Dropzone Commander (10mm, Hawk Wargames)

This contains (their proper names escape me for the moment)

3 Dropships
3 APC's
3 AA Tanks
3 hovertanks
30 infantry!

First oath of 2014 people! Get your asses into gear!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Sorry this is late - lots going on during the holidays as usual!

Well oi finds out what that glow wuz - sum crazy spell-slinga who wuz tryin’ ta blast me wit sum kinda green fi-yah!

Oi slashes at ‘im wit my sord, but he’s dukkin an’ divin’, flingin’ dat green stuff at me! Oi get burnt a bit but oi gets a lucky stab wit da sord and da git goes down! ‘is glow stops but oi see ‘e’s got sum sorta jewil or summat. Oi pick dat up and sum’ow oi get dese voisis in me ‘ead! Oi chat to ‘em a bit but oi tells ‘em to shuddup an’ tell me wut ta do wit dis gem.

Evenchalli oi figger it out an’ da green fiyah is commin’ outs me fingahs when oi like! Now oi can light me cigar whenevah oi like!

This month’s theme: Object-Source Lighting! Otherwise known as ‘OSL’, object-source lighting replicates the light cast onto surrounding areas from a light source such as a torch, a screen, a power cell, etc. Think of glowing eyes, a plasma gun, flickering torch, candle, fireball, the inner fire of a demon (Balrog!), and other such things. This is a fun effect to do, watching the glow build up as you work on it. For a tutorial, check out this post or this video!

And remember, the judges will be giving 1 point EACH for the best OSL done this month!

If you don’t want to do this Detektuv’s Jurnal or you just can’t see a way to do it on your chosen model(s), you can do any previous Jurnal to earn 1 point this month (instead of the 2 for doing the December Jurnal), but your Jurnal entry won’t be eligible for points from the judges.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 3, 2014

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Grey Hunter posted:

Whats this? The year is nearly a day old and no one has a single thing oathed?

I Grey Hunter, Oath one Scourge starter set from Dropzone Commander (10mm, Hawk Wargames)

Accepted!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
:siren: THIS MONTH'S MINI-COMPETITION! :siren:

goon NTRabbit is donating a couple of Mantic's Deadzone Kickstarter exclusive minis to the winner of this month's mini-comp!

Here are the stipulations:
  • Model must NOT be a Games Workshop model to be eligible - this includes Forge World (model may be intended for use in any Games Workshop game, though)
  • If a conversion, the model must be less than 50% Games Workshop parts
  • Any models that qualify are auto-entered
  • Anyone who completes an eligible model (therefore completing their oath) can vote for the winner at the end of the month

The winner will get to pick from these models from the Deadzone Kickstarter:

Individual pictures of the various models:
Survivor - http://www.manticgames.com/ImageCache/Products/3293.1.368.368.FFFFFF.0.jpeg
Oberon (purple guy) - http://www.brueckenkopf-online.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/MG_Deadzone-Oberon.jpg
Helfather - https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/001/187/802/4d0f4def528ad80f3cc7bbad43ce9b58_large.jpg?1381851330
Blaine - https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/001/187/803/6a1b9be595b084ea962288c131295a31_large.jpg?1381851333
Nastanza - https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e62f0c35454fa3ba687404d69/images/Nastanza.png
Wrath - http://media.thewarstore.com/media/MGE/ss_size2/MGEDZM231.jpg
Dr. Simmonds - http://media.thewarstore.com/media/MGE/ss_size2/MGEDZM211.jpg
Recon N32-19 - http://media.thewarstore.com/media/MGE/ss_size2/MGEDZM201.jpg
Chovar Psychic - https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/001/382/030/7e579bb7f8d038e98f93aa7cd6d6bd2c_large.jpeg?1385505271
Freya (best I could find) - http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-DPnhneNJjf0/UrSmwGa0VGI/AAAAAAAABHQ/b876tpZn65c/s1600/dz-04.jpg

May the best non-GW, completed oath win!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 1, 2014

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Just for clarification, Forge World models fall under Games Workshop, correct?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Whee, OSL and being entered into an extra contest. I'll have to think hard about my options, but I definitely have at least one in mind.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ijyt posted:

Just for clarification, Forge World models fall under Games Workshop, correct?

Yes. I'll add that into the rules thingy up there. And no listening to Black Library audiobooks while you're painting or prepping! (j/k)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

OSL? Well that settles a little internal debate I was having over what mini to pick up next. I'll get it ordered :)

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

I, Under 15, Oath the following models for January:

1 GW Orc
6 GW Night Goblins

I don't know how good of a job I'm going to do with OSL. I can barely highlight normally.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Under 15 posted:

I, Under 15, Oath the following models for January:

1 GW Orc
6 GW Night Goblins
Accepted!

quote:

I don't know how good of a job I'm going to do with OSL. I can barely highlight normally.

Use the tutorials I linked or just search for more guides - the idea of the Jurnals is to stretch your skills and try new stuff, so give it a try! Worst case, you just paint over your OSL efforts AND you still have practice.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I, moths, oath for January:

8x Deadzone Plague troopers (Mantic, 28mm)
1x Necromancer (Reaper, 30mm)

I've also included some basing elements I made with my Basius pad - I don't think they need to be included but I just wanted to cover my bases. (Ha!)

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
OSL means it's robot time!

I, Iris of Ether, oath for January (1) Wyrmgear, Clockwork Dragon. Figure is Reaper Bones, 28mm scale.

Also, my apartment smells like solder flux now. :v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey kids! Now that December is wrapped up, I need everyone who participated in the month to check your points and stuff, as usual. Please Check the December 2013 tab of the spreadsheet, as well as the Bi-Monthly Prizes sheet (for your eligibility for one or two entries in the Themed Group consest), and the One-Time Bonuses sheet (for your one-time bonus credit). I'll do prize drawings for December probably this weekend, on Saturday or Sunday.

Also I am waiting on Judging from thiswayliesmadness for November, and on a substitute 3rd-place entry from Sole.Sushi for November as well. I haven't included November's points in the totals yet.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
Oathing: Reaper bones vampire conversion and Privateer Press Beast Mistress, three Blighted Nyss Legionaires and 2 Stinger light warbeasts.

For conversions, can it still count as one if the conversion was done already? I made it before and have WIP pictures of it but I created it between oaths. Still gonna show the process but just wanted to be sure.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ledgem posted:

Oathing: Reaper bones vampire conversion and Privateer Press Beast Mistress, three Blighted Nyss Legionaires and 2 Stinger light warbeasts.

For conversions, can it still count as one if the conversion was done already? I made it before and have WIP pictures of it but I created it between oaths. Still gonna show the process but just wanted to be sure.

This is exactly how to do it, yes! And no, it doesn't matter when you did the conversion work. The Oath thread is a painting oath thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Leperflesh posted:

Hey kids! Now that December is wrapped up, I need everyone who participated in the month to check your points and stuff, as usual. Please Check the December 2013 tab of the spreadsheet, as well as the Bi-Monthly Prizes sheet (for your eligibility for one or two entries in the Themed Group consest), and the One-Time Bonuses sheet (for your one-time bonus credit). I'll do prize drawings for December probably this weekend, on Saturday or Sunday.

Also I am waiting on Judging from thiswayliesmadness for November, and on a substitute 3rd-place entry from Sole.Sushi for November as well. I haven't included November's points in the totals yet.

The 'completed' link for my entry is missing, as is duplicating that link for 'get based out'. Otherwise, all my points are there, thanks!

• Locked thread