Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I'm a pretty heavily tattooed, bearded, rear end in a top hat and that poo poo is 100% my style; I'm jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elcapjtk
Mar 14, 2005
Some people say I am a terrible person.

Apple Jax posted:

Holy poo poo, wow, mine is way smaller then that large one you've got there. Yours looks freaking rad. My model's package says 1:1000 scale (12 in long). I actually took that picture of the parts yesterday and I've already put it together and now I'm starting to paint it. Yeah, the stand kinda sucks, but I'm planning on hanging this beauty from the bedroom's ceiling just like my middle school self.

This is all sort of driving me crazy, because in between making this, I've also been digitally 3D modeling for a different project. So, I've been building and texturing in real life and on my computer :shepface:

The 1701 Refit is a 1/360, which puts it at almost 3 feet long.

On a side note, one thing I am super happy about is that I can do 3d modeling as a hobby now and not "for reals".
I can make stuff like this:

and never actually finish anything!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I have a bunch of models I need to get around to painting and building some day.

I actually focused on getting them all in the same scale though - 1:1400 - partly so that I could have the Enterprises next to each other at scale, but mostly so that they would be at scale with the Arcadia model kit I have. :3:

Tony Montana posted:

Haha no I have not. Possibly due to my lack of a mainframe.

Well, I only called it that because that's where it first appeared; it's been re-iterated on basically every PC platform ever since, but there's no real definitive name for it because it was usually just called "Star Trek".

Arglebargle III posted:

Has nobody played the Starfleet Command games? That should satisfy your need for spergy real-time spreadsheet management.

Seen here balancing the need to charge my torpedo tubes and power the warp drive. I would have caught it in a more power-hungry state but the phaser capacitor had already finished charging. The Constitution series has a pretty forgiving power curve except for the massive phaser capacitor.

Some Klingons trying to miscegenate all over my pure Federation freighters.

I remember playing a lot of Starfleet Command. Actually, hell, I think Starfleet Command was the first game I ever played multiplayer over the internet!

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
A Final Unity had such a great storyline, it felt so Trek like.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Writer Cath posted:

A Final Unity had such a great storyline, it felt so Trek like.

That still is the only truly great Trek game to me. There have been other fun ones but most have been such poo poo, and even the fun ones don't really capture Trek very well.

Wasn't that Genesis game basically the same story? I remember my friend having a Genesis Star Trek game and it being super weird that it was sort of the same thing as A Final Unity but not exactly, we could never figure out what the relationship was.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Grand Fromage posted:

That still is the only truly great Trek game to me. There have been other fun ones but most have been such poo poo, and even the fun ones don't really capture Trek very well.

You must be forgetting 25th Anniversary

Best Trek Games;

25th Anniversary + Judgement Rites
Final Unity
Starfleet Command 1 + 2
Klingon Academy
Elite Force 1
Armada 1
Bridge Commander

Special shoutout to New Worlds for best soundtrack.

Armada 3 is top notch for a mod for an unrelated game though.

elcapjtk
Mar 14, 2005
Some people say I am a terrible person.
The 25th and 30th (Judgment Rites) anniversary games are fun as hell and have all sorts of Star Trek in them.
You had to dog fight Trelane who was attacking the Enterprise in a bi-plane
You got to battle wits with a energy being
You got to use the COMMAND CONSOLE code of another starship to disable her so you could beam onto it
Harcort Fenton Mudd
Enterprise Vs "Enterprise" dogfight

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Grand Fromage posted:

Wasn't that Genesis game basically the same story? I remember my friend having a Genesis Star Trek game and it being super weird that it was sort of the same thing as A Final Unity but not exactly, we could never figure out what the relationship was.

Spectrum Holobyte developed both games, so that explains a lot. Especially considering how they were released within a year of each other; that's not much turnaround time, so a ton of the same people probably worked on both. Chances are that Echoes From The Past became a rough draft for A Final Unity or they were both in development simultaneously.

I don't remember much about Final Unity's story, but the Unity Device and the IFD serve basically the same narrative purpose I think. The Chodak also appear in both games, so they're probably the strongest single connection, even if they weren't as important in Echoes.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"Jellico is coming onto the Enterprise, everyone get the S word out of your system"

"Man, Picard let us wear sports jerseys on the bridge on Friday."

"Picard always let me wear my cape on the bridge!"

"Picard always gave a trigger warning before using gendered pronouns. Also, I don't think Jellico knows about Taco Tuesday Taco Bar."

"He doesn't understand how much it does for morale. Jellico is very much a warship captain."

"Jellico gave me my performance evaluation and he didn't write any smileys on it like Picard usually does. Like, it wasn't any worse or better, but I miss the smileys."

"PICARD DIDN'T CARE THAT I WAS 7 MINUTES LATE TO MY SHIFT"

"Jellico gave me a nasty look when I said 'everypony' instead of 'everybody.'"

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Well, Happy New Year, I guess. Bah.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Trickjaw posted:

Well, Happy New Year, I guess. Bah.

It is no Picard Day

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

bobkatt013 posted:

It is no Picard Day

Every day is Picard Day!

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

kelvron posted:

Every day is Picard Day!

There's just something about those two being such good friends that makes me so goddamned happy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wee Bairns posted:

There's just something about those two being such good friends that makes me so goddamned happy.

It is amazing

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

kelvron posted:

Every day is Picard Day!

Whilst this is marvellous, and makes everyone better (it may well sort those chaps in Syria out), Picard Day is 16th June. Nerds have worked this out with honest to goodness maths.

e: And there is no Magneto day. He knows why. *rips sideburns off*

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I really, really liked that first Vorta. What ever happened to their telekinetic whoopdeedoos?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Trent posted:

I really, really liked that first Vorta. What ever happened to their telekinetic whoopdeedoos?

We don't talk about it with outsiders.

Actually I think the staff decided that wasn't really what they wanted to do with the Vorta and just hoped everyone forgot about it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The telekinetic whoopdeedoos died on the way back to their home planet.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Haha the Bonding was a great look at what happens when a redshirt bites it. But Geordie is getting hella creepy with this holodeck lady in Boobietrap.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

The telekinetic whoopdeedoos died on the way back to their home planet.

Along with Trill foreheads, Cardassian moustaches, and Ferengi laser whips?

edit: and Defiant Romulan bridge officers

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Trent posted:

Ferengi laser whips?

Hey hey, that came back in Enterprise!

In that one, Ethan Phillips plays a Ferengi again. Really, they should've made Neelix a Ferengi and been done with it. He makes a great Ferengi!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shoehead posted:

But Geordie is getting hella creepy with this holodeck lady in Boobietrap.

Oh you have no idea how far that particular rabbit hole goes.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Has nobody played the Starfleet Command games? That should satisfy your need for spergy real-time spreadsheet management.

Seen here balancing the need to charge my torpedo tubes and power the warp drive. I would have caught it in a more power-hungry state but the phaser capacitor had already finished charging. The Constitution series has a pretty forgiving power curve except for the massive phaser capacitor.

Some Klingons trying to miscegenate all over my pure Federation freighters.

I remember having so much fun with Starfleet Command as a kid, I sunk hours and hours into it, but I tried going back and playing it earlier this year and it felt like the most incomprehensible boring slow as poo poo gaming experience I've ever had. I guess 13 year old me had a lot more patience than 26 year old me.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Trent posted:

Huh. This whole time I thought she was just bullshitting them about it. Like she needed a thing that would let them escape and came up with psychic powers because why not.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Trent posted:

You forgot the little Bajoran forehead ridge. :smug:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

^^^ clearly, Ensign Ro is just displaying her medical training :v:

y'all posted:

psychic didgeridoo

There's really nothing to suggest Weyoun (or Iggy Pop) couldn't cast Psionic Missile at will (3x daily, DC10).

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

I'd like you all to come see my new band Psychic Didgeridoo, playing this Saturday at the Civic Centre.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Delsaber posted:

I'd like you all to come see my new band Psychic Didgeridoo, playing this Saturday at the Civic Centre.

Do you play Nightbird?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Trent posted:

and Defiant Romulan bridge officers

I hope she got thrown out an airlock and they never bothered to call back to Romulus for a replacement. Garak just sent fake status reports for the rest of the series.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Writer Cath posted:

Do you play Nightbird?

Depends on our trombone player! Thankfully, we're a ska band, so we can get away with a lot.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Huh. This whole time I thought she was just bullshitting them about it. Like she needed a thing that would let them escape and came up with psychic powers because why not.
That's what I always figured, she was faking them with Dominion tech or something to make the Dominion races seem more powerful. I can't remember any now but it seems like there were some times in the series when Vorta were under threat and would have used their powers if they had them.

Thom12255 posted:

You must be forgetting 25th Anniversary

Best Trek Games;

25th Anniversary + Judgement Rites
Final Unity
Starfleet Command 1 + 2
Klingon Academy
Elite Force 1
Armada 1
Bridge Commander

Special shoutout to New Worlds for best soundtrack.

Armada 3 is top notch for a mod for an unrelated game though.

Klingon Honor Guard was a good game for its time, I think it was the first released non-Unreal Unreal Engine game. It may not have been very Star Treky, but it was very Klingon. DS9: The Fallen was pretty good too, it had a good amount of exploring vs. combat, though it suffered from a fake Sisko voice and not particularly good game recreation of the sets. The Defiant setpieces were huge, just look at the console behind Worf in this screenshot, and the Promenade suffered from a giant mysterious wall to keep you in the quarter of it they modeled.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Trent posted:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

quote:

"Jellico gave me a nasty look when I said 'everypony' instead of 'everybody.'"

There's no loving way Riker would tolerate that poo poo

Otisburg posted:

"Picard always let me wear my cape on the bridge!"

Oh, have I got a treat for you...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Everyone else on bridge duty suddenly had to take a bathroom break, leaving only Picard to withstand the onslaught of the Bickleys. Also dig the crazy capes which were probably regulation in the comic book TNG universe.

Makes you wish DC had just reprinted the Gold Key stuff with Al Williamson.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 1, 2014

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Happy New Yar

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Tasha Yar's sister sure did look a lot like Linda Hamilton.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In the future, the mullet will be a unisex hairstyle

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Hey, it's a great look for anyone with a wardrobe full of regulation skorts.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The Ferengi action figure Quark plays with at home has one of them laser whips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Trent posted:

Cardassian moustaches

RIP, sweet prince

• Locked thread