Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Is it going to actually cross over with the weirdness of being in the DCU, or is it going to be Law and Order in Gotham City? Because while I'll totally watch me some L&O, I don't think I'm at all interested in another knockoff with the names changed. :doink:

Hawkman posted:

god yes please

I watched this episode over Christmas. :fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkman
Aug 6, 2002

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Warmachine posted:

Seriously they could just interact exactly the way they did on Justice League and it would be perfect.

quote:

Green Arrow: Does everything have a sinister motive in your world?
The Question: Yours, too. You just don't know it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The only person who could pull off the Van Dyke look is probably a hipster, sadly.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

The only person who could pull off the Van Dyke look is probably a hipster, sadly.

I have some bad news for you...

Captain Atom: I'm pure energy.
Green Arrow: Nuclear energy?
Captain Atom: What does it sound like?
Green Arrow: It sounds like what I marched against in college.

Granted, hipster, not hippy, but the arrow isn't too far from the bullseye.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Warmachine posted:

Is it going to actually cross over with the weirdness of being in the DCU, or is it going to be Law and Order in Gotham City? Because while I'll totally watch me some L&O, I don't think I'm at all interested in another knockoff with the names changed. :doink:

I heard that it will be with supercriminals, but the first episode would be the murder of the Waynes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

bunnyofdoom posted:

On that Gotham Cop show note, Am I the only one who's actually excited for what is basically Gotham Central the series? gently caress man, Harvey Bullock should be in the show. But who could play him? Dennis Farina?

Farina's dead so not him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Farina's dead so not him.

Dennis Franz would be a good Bullock but he did basically already play him for 12 seasons. There is also the fact that he is a bit old.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Comedy option: Kevin Smith.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
So someone brought a Yahoo article regarding people comparing Arrow to SHIELD to Stephen Amell's attention on Facebook. He posted this as a response:

quote:

We are not in competition with other television shows. I realize Agents of SHIELD is an easy comparison, but it's also kind of lazy. We aren't trying to be the best comic book show, we're trying to be THE best hour of entertainment. Period.

There still seems to be a distinction that assumes television is somehow inferior to cinema... I think that's ridiculous. We embrace the rigors of an episodic schedule, use them to our advantage and churn out a kick rear end product with a high degree of difficulty and virtually no margin for error. 966 minutes of programming every year.

I couldn't be prouder of what we do and that sense of accomplishment is based solely on the quality of our product, not the performance of anyone else's.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One of the things that makes this show so enjoyable is how Amell and everyone else around it really believes in the show they are producing and how hard they work towards it. It really translates onto the screen.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

bobkatt013 posted:

Dennis Franz would be a good Bullock but he did basically already play him for 12 seasons. There is also the fact that he is a bit old.

gently caress, I meant Franz.

Brian Denehy?

Patton Oswalt?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Michael Madsen. :colbert:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

hcreight posted:

So someone brought a Yahoo article regarding people comparing Arrow to SHIELD to Stephen Amell's attention on Facebook. He posted this as a response:

He's got a point here I never really considered; they have to make 966 minutes of programming a year. A movie? Assuming it takes two years to do 96-120 minutes, does charitably a 10th of that on a much bigger budget. The TV show also gets to tell more story because of that extra screen time.

Amell never ceases to impress me.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Warmachine posted:

He's got a point here I never really considered; they have to make 966 minutes of programming a year. A movie? Assuming it takes two years to do 96-120 minutes, does charitably a 10th of that on a much bigger budget. The TV show also gets to tell more story because of that extra screen time.

Amell never ceases to impress me.
Spartacus was a good examples of a show where each episode is its own movie.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

hcreight posted:

Stephen Amell

:911: God bless this man.

Oh, wait.

:canada: There, that's better.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ufarn posted:

I liked the first season of Human Target because each week felt like its own little action movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I started reading Ditko Question then moved to O'Neil Question...I like Renee better than Vic.

We are now mortal enemies.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

We are now mortal enemies.

Montoya's just a really cool character in general.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Phylodox posted:

Michael Madsen. :colbert:

Absolutely Madsen. Bullock needs to give off a constant air of "sleeze" and I think Madsen is just the guy to pull that off.

Drifter posted:

Montoya's just a really cool character in general.

I agree, I think they're both characters. Either one would be pretty cool. Unless Combs is on the table, then all bets are off 'cause Jeffrey Combs.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Jeffrey Combs as Gorilla Grodd.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

ufarn posted:

I'm falling apart with no decent television to watch during this break period. Is Spartacus worth my time? I like me some Manu Bennett.

XboxPants posted:

Absolutely Madsen. Bullock needs to give off a constant air of "sleeze" and I think Madsen is just the guy to pull that off.

I agree, I think they're both characters. Either one would be pretty cool. Unless Combs is on the table, then all bets are off 'cause Jeffrey Combs.

Jeffrey Combs as...wait I don't care just stick him on the show make something up.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm falling apart with no decent television to watch during this break period. Is Spartacus worth my time? I like me some Manu Bennett.
First few episodes are rough but it's like a strangely compelling soap opera with violence, nudity and extras giving 110%.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The Lord Bude posted:

Spartacus is loving amazing. You have to rough it through a first couple episodes in season 1, but drat does it ramp up and it never stops until the finale. It's a wild ride. How much do you like Manu Bennett? Because you get to see pretty much all of him in the show.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The first season of Spartacus can be kind of difficult to get through just because it's such a downer. Just characters going through hour after hour of slavery and loss with no reprieve in sight. The thing, though, is that it sets up the world and the backstories of its myriad characters pretty well and gives a lot of weight to what they will go through next. The second and third seasons are definitely big improvements as they become the ongoing adventures of a ragtag group of rebels fighting against the empire, and I'd almost recommend just starting with the second season, except I can't quite imagine watching these lovable dickrats' stories without knowing what came beforehand. And that includes Manu Bennett's character.

I guess you can think of it as Arrow, in a way; if you can make it through the first season -- which isn't even a bad season! It's just got some issues! -- then you've earned the right to enjoy the greatness that follows. :black101:

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Spartacus is a fantastic show. The first three episodes are below average but it is relentlessly good after that. The series finale was one of the best episodes of TV I watched this year.

Even though it technically takes place before the events of Season 1, don't watch Gods of the Arena first - watch it between Season 1 and Season 2, as it was broadcast. It opens with the last scene of Season 1 and you don't want that spoiled. It also eases the transition between Andy and Liam somewhat, I thought.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Whelp I guess I know what I'm going to be doing for the next two weeks.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I've gone through season 1 of Spartacus and am on Gods of the Arena now. drat good television especially that first season finale.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

The Lord Bude posted:

If you haven't seen Orphan Black yet it's a pretty loving awesome show. Only 10 episodes in the first season, but the second one starts in March I think.

Also I would loving kill for Jeffrey Coombs as the Question. :worship:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Another good show is The Americans. It's got some asskicking but is really about the family life of 2 sleeper agents from Russia who are spying in America. :black101:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2149175/
It's better than you'd think.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

gently caress yes. Spartacus is amazing. It's Gladiator with more extreme sex and violence than Game of Thrones, and way better writing. Personally, I didn't have such a big problem with the first few episodes of season one the way most goons do. Season one was my favorite, followed by the half-season prequel. Season two is kinda meh, but it has great moments. Season three ends extremely strongly. Overall, it's a seriously solid show and you should just accept the ridiculous parts in all their glory. :black101:

Plus Manu Bennett owns as Crixus--I dare say even more than as Slade.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Phylodox posted:

I liked the first season of Human Target because each week felt like its own little action movie.

I'm sad now because you reminded me of the first season of Human Target, which in turn reminded me of the second season of Human Target.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Spartacus is worth anyone's time, it's spectacularly awesome. However, the stuff about having to slog through early S1 is true. My experience, which may change when I get around to rewatching the series, is that episode one was laughably bad, episode 2 was a big improvement, and the episodes following that continued to climb in quality until the loving-awesome episode 5, and then it kept that level of quality for the rest of the series.

Also, the dialogue could be seen by some as over-the-top - it's very theatrical and flowery (if flowers swore at you repeatedly). It's not BAD, but I feel that the main reason it works is that the actors sell the gently caress out of it, and without them it would not work so well, and still mightn't for some. The characters and plotting are straight-up awesome, though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BreakAtmo posted:

Spartacus is worth anyone's time, it's spectacularly awesome. However, the stuff about having to slog through early S1 is true. My experience, which may change when I get around to rewatching the series, is that episode one was laughably bad, episode 2 was a big improvement, and the episodes following that continued to climb in quality until the loving-awesome episode 5, and then it kept that level of quality for the rest of the series.

Also, the dialogue could be seen by some as over-the-top - it's very theatrical and flowery (if flowers swore at you repeatedly). It's not BAD, but I feel that the main reason it works is that the actors sell the gently caress out of it, and without them it would not work so well, and still mightn't for some. The characters and plotting are straight-up awesome, though.

I slogged through smallville. I think I'll be able to handle it.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Never actually watched Smallville, but based on what I've heard, I expect you're right on the money.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The Lord Bude posted:

Smallville is absolute poo poo garbage compared to Spartacus.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Spartacus is an amazing show, but I don't think I'll ever finish season 2 (following season 1 and the prequel).

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

ufarn posted:

Spartacus is an amazing show, but I don't think I'll ever finish season 2 (following season 1 and the prequel).

Ohh do your best. The beginning of S2 is a bit of a slog as well, but goddamn does the show get good once the new characters are established.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Phylodox posted:

Jeffrey Combs as Gorilla Grodd.

This is truth.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, I thought Spartacus was poo poo at first but I stuck around to fulfill my adolescent dream of seeing Xena-boobs. By the time I saw Xena-boobs I was hooked on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

TheChad posted:

Ohh do your best. The beginning of S2 is a bit of a slog as well, but goddamn does the show get good once the new characters are established.
Actually, I think it was season 3 I couldn't finish. Season 2 didn't really do much for me, alas, but stuff definitely happens.

• Locked thread