Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pheeets posted:

Or pocket handkerchiefs. Everybody, young and old, carries a clean white one.

They need it for the crescents their nails dug into their palms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Guys stop tears are squirting down my cheeks from laughing.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

They need it for the crescents their nails dug into their palms.
It was the last thing they ever did.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Safe Driver posted:

...he said as he finished his beer and farted.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

Sharkie posted:

...he said as he finished his beer and farted.

It seemed not just right but somehow necessary that they observe these ordinary rituals of male bonding. Tomorrow was uncertain, but tonight Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis were spinning on the trusty old Victrola, and the dead soldiers were piling up in the trash can by the back door and that seemed necessary too. Sooner or later, someone was going to have to hawk a loogie the size of a soft-boiled egg out the open window, glistening like a small malignant moon that was maybe not rising, but bad nonetheless.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Ayuh.

Shedman
Apr 4, 2007
Strappy tee shirts.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I never thought to mention this, but last year a young-ish (early 20's) co-worker of mine wanted to read The Dark Tower series. He started The Gunslinger, and he asked me what to do next.
I told him to stop. Dead stop. I brought him books. The Shining. Salem's Lot. The Stand. He even did Desperation/The Regulators back-to-back. He's reading Insomnia now. I basically advised him to read as much NON DT stuff as possible before he got serious about that series. He loved Duma Key. He loved IT. He loved Doctor Sleep. He's read some other stuff, too, like The Dark Half; and a few others I can't recall right now. but I am pointing him to everything older and newer that I can think of, including Lisey's Story (which I like in spite of the gimmicky stuff) and he's just slowly but surely taking it in.

I'm really proud of this. I'm gonna get him to read Carrie, Firestarter, Pet Sematary, Christine, The Tommyknockers, Misery, Secret Shadow, just about everything but Gerald's Game and Delores Claiborne and Dreamcatcher, then on to The Talisman, Black House, and The Dead Zone before I tell him it's cool to go back to the DT. I will make sure he reads Night Shift, Skeleton Crew, and the other short story collections, too; but this is turning into a long timeline.

I just justified it by saying, "DT will hit you 1,000 times harder if you read all this other stuff first."

This may be the best thing I've ever done for a new reader.

Now, if I still know him when he's caught up, I would love to point him at Cormack McCarthy, but I think it will be more confusing than enlightening for him (sorry about how that sounds. Just read the intro to Suttree and you'll know what I mean.)

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 2, 2014

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'm really proud of this. I'm gonna get him to read Carrie, Firestarter, Pet Sematary, Christine, The Tommyknockers, Misery, Secret Shadow, just about everything but Gerald's Game and Delores Claiborne and Dreamcatcher, then on to The Talisman, Black House, and The Dead Zone before I tell him it's cool to go back to the DT. I will make sure he reads Night Shift, Skeleton Crew, and the other short story collections, too; but this is turning into a long timeline.

Do you mean Secret Window, Secret Garden, or is there a secret King book out there I've never heard of?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dr. Faustus posted:

I never thought to mention this, but last year a young-ish (early 20's) co-worker of mine wanted to read The Dark Tower series. He started The Gunslinger, and he asked me what to do next.
I told him to stop. Dead stop. I brought him books. The Shining. Salem's Lot. The Stand. He even did Desperation/The Regulators back-to-back. He's reading Insomnia now. I basically advised him to read as much NON DT stuff as possible before he got serious about that series. He loved Duma Key. He loved IT. He loved Doctor Sleep. He's read some other stuff, too, like The Dark Half; and a few others I can't recall right now. but I am pointing him to everything older and newer that I can think of, including Lisey's Story (which I like in spite of the gimmicky stuff) and he's just slowly but surely taking it in.

I just justified it by saying, "DT will hit you 1,000 times harder if you read all this other stuff first."

Now, if I still know him when he's caught up, I would love to point him at Cormack McCarthy, but I think it will be more confusing than enlightening for him (sorry about how that sounds. Just read the intro to Suttree and you'll know what I mean.)

Not seeing Langoliers, you're a terrible friend and an rear end in a top hat.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

The Langoliers is in one of the short story collections.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

The Dark Tower flows better if you read that without the tie-ins, or things that deal with more universal threats (ie. IT's Lovercraftian creature or Insomnia's vision of the Crimson King as compared to EEEEEEEEEEEE).

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I only just started Doctor Sleep and stopped last night at the "mama" chapter. So far my impression is rape rape rape rape. All rape all the time.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I just want to chime in that I am still on my IT "re-read" which is really a "first-listen" as far as I'm concerned. I just passed the apocalyptic rockfight, which is such a great chapter and place where it is in the story, perfectly draws you right back into that world of 1958 after all that time in the present.

And I've said it before (somewhere at least if not here) but I just love how the audiobook forces me to slow down and think about things a little more thoughtfully as I listen. I am a fairly fast reader in that I just... Well, I read very quickly, and with lengthy fiction of King's variety I tend to approach it with a pretty fast pace in mind as well because otherwise I'd get bogged down.

So all I'm trying to say is that it's almost like a new book entirely in some ways when I listen to it because I'm getting totally different stuff out of it. And I'm starting to think that King's work just flows SO much better when read in general, because it makes his dialogue seem good-silly instead of cheesy-silly most of the time. I remember the last time I read IT I found Richie's voices awful and interminable but I enjoy the hell out of hearing Steven Weber doing them and what he did with Richie in general (a character well-suited to being heard instead of read in every way).

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Toriori posted:

I only just started Doctor Sleep and stopped last night at the "mama" chapter. So far my impression is rape rape rape rape. All rape all the time.

There's a lot more to it than that.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

You have somehow managed to completely avoid any mention or recommendation of the Bachman books here, and it's leaving me mystified.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
Thought I would leave this here: a blog post I made about my trip to The Stanley Hotel back in July. For those who don't know, The Stanley is the hotel The Overlook from The Shining is based off of. Bits of the mini-series from 1997 was filmed here as well. It was also The Hotel Danbury in Dumb & Dumber. It's a pretty neat hotel, and I urge all fans of Stephen King to try and visit it.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Safe Driver posted:

Wipe them away with the pocket handkerchief you keep in your faded Ship'n Shore blouse.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Said best with a coppery taste in the mouth

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

juliuspringle posted:

The Langoliers is in one of the short story collections.

The movie, you ding dong.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

iostream.h posted:

It was the last thing they ever did.

The last time i saw iostream alive

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

SniperWoreConverse posted:

The last time i saw iostream alive

Aye, big-big commala.

May it do ya fine.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Edwardian posted:

May it do ya fine.
In the end along with iostream.h, they were ALL done fine.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

bean_shadow posted:

Thought I would leave this here: a blog post I made about my trip to The Stanley Hotel back in July. For those who don't know, The Stanley is the hotel The Overlook from The Shining is based off of. Bits of the mini-series from 1997 was filmed here as well. It was also The Hotel Danbury in Dumb & Dumber. It's a pretty neat hotel, and I urge all fans of Stephen King to try and visit it.

This was cool, thanks.

On an unrelated note I just found out that the woman who did the score to The Shining is named Wendy (Carlos.) :spooky:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

syscall girl posted:

On an unrelated note I just found out that the woman who did the score to The Shining is named Wendy (Carlos.) :spooky:

If it eases your mind any, she was born Walter Carlos before transitioning :dominic:

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Is it too late to join the IT read along? I saw the TV movie when I was younger but this is my first time actually reading it.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Scrap Dragon posted:

Is it too late to join the IT read along? I saw the TV movie when I was younger but this is my first time actually reading it.
I started a bit late and I'm taking my time so no, I would say it's not too late at all!

On that note, I'd forgotten what weird turns of phrases King can use from time to time and how he can take a sentence, run it just slightly beyond the point of it becoming a run-on sentence and suddenly it blossoms into a passage that sucks you right into the picture he paints, it's absolutely amazing the way he can do that and to this day is what strikes me the most about his writing and why I am indeed a Constant Reader.

OH, and while I'm thinking about it, I can't help but wonder if, in the very opening lines the guy who was found in the Kenduskeag in the flood of 1931 who 'Clutched in what remained of his hands had been a Ford steering wheel.' was supposed to be someone we learned about later on. Was this guy significant?

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012
I just finished Children of the Corn, I liked it a lot. What other short horror stories are similar to it? Preferably on audio book.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Once I finished It, I picked up Cell and Hearts of Atlantis. I'm on a King bender now. Thanks, guys.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Chamberk posted:

Once I finished It, I picked up Cell and Hearts of Atlantis. I'm on a King bender now. Thanks, guys.

Watch out for Cell. It's like that scene in The Shining movie; you're thinking "oh sweet she's getting out of the bathtub this is sexy as hell" for the first few chapters and then nope.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Scrap Dragon posted:

I'm only about a third of the way through it, reading for a 1/2 hour before going to bed. It's never too late for It.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

MariusLecter posted:

iostream.h posted:

You have somehow managed to completely avoid any mention or recommendation of the Bachman books here, and it's leaving me mystified.

Pheeets posted:

Do you mean Secret Window, Secret Garden, or is there a secret King book out there I've never heard of?

He's just one guy. I can't do everything at once, I have to let him read the books, THEN steer. And yeah I got the title wrong but you knew what I meant.

Darko posted:

The Dark Tower flows better if you read that without the tie-ins, or things that deal with more universal threats (ie. IT's Lovercraftian creature or Insomnia's vision of the Crimson King as compared to EEEEEEEEEEEE).
I can't agree. I'd rather go into the mess that the DT becomes at the end with all the references in mind.

And yes, as I said he read The Regulators, and I will point him to the other Bachmann books first.

Think well of me, King thread, I am trying to help this guy.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

And yeah I got the title wrong but you knew what I meant.

Think well of me, King thread, I am trying to help this guy.

Actually I didn't, but I'm glad I was able to guess right, I suppose. Godspeed to your friend.

Safe Driver posted:

I'm only about a third of the way through it, reading for a 1/2 hour before going to bed. It's never too late for It.

Christ, 1/2 hour before bed is the worst time for me to read It, I have to put it down and read something normal or I get nightmares. I forgot how creepy parts of It can be.

Pheeets fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 3, 2014

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Darko posted:

I think they mention the town where murders are really low to compare it to the high murder rate in Derry.

The town from that story is Waco, Texas, which always makes me giggle in a morbid way.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
Finished IT yesterday.

The name Rebecca Paulson shows up during the destruction of Derry (the bank explodes and she finds some money in her yard). This name seems familiar. She was in The Tommyknockers, right? The destruction of Derry was a lot more climactic than the destruction of IT, even though it was kind of the same thing.

And also...

The whole 11-year-old sex scene. It seemed even more lame than when I first read it, as a fourteen year old (of course at 14 I also thought it was hilarious and promptly showed it to classmates who were not as well schooled in Odd-Stephen King Sex Scenes as I was). OF COURSE Ben is the biggest. OF COURSE he is the first to give her an orgasm. I'm still not where why he included it. So they wouldn't get lost? Oh, wait, I remember---they were drifting apart and Bev thought this would be the perfect way to bring them closer together. Actually, nah. I still don't know why he included it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Hit the best part of The Talisman finally.

Good old Wolf, right here and now! You're the herd now, Jacky!

I literally cannot stop smiling as I read these chapters.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

rypakal posted:

The town from that story is Waco, Texas, which always makes me giggle in a morbid way.

Waco was also the source of the popskull in The End of the Whole Mess. Which got made into a pretty decent tv movie a while back. I thought Ron Livingston was great in it, particularly.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

syscall girl posted:

Waco was also the source of the popskull in The End of the Whole Mess. Which got made into a pretty decent tv movie a while back. I thought Ron Livingston was great in it, particularly.

I was talking about The End of the Whole Mess. What did you think I was talking about?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

bean_shadow posted:

And also...

The whole 11-year-old sex scene. It seemed even more lame than when I first read it, as a fourteen year old (of course at 14 I also thought it was hilarious and promptly showed it to classmates who were not as well schooled in Odd-Stephen King Sex Scenes as I was). OF COURSE Ben is the biggest. OF COURSE he is the first to give her an orgasm. I'm still not where why he included it. So they wouldn't get lost? Oh, wait, I remember---they were drifting apart and Bev thought this would be the perfect way to bring them closer together. Actually, nah. I still don't know why he included it.

Yeah the thing that I don't get is he contrived up a situation where that would be needed and the right thing to do. Why? (Probs a pervert)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Yeah the thing that I don't get is he contrived up a situation where that would be needed and the right thing to do. Why? (Probs a pervert)

And it doesn't come up later. She doesn't even remember it when she's with Bill. It has no bearing on the future.

That scene has always been right up there with Susan Norton as a single thing which almost killed an otherwise excellent book because it was so pants-on-the-head.