Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, looks like Warner is abandoning their classic animation releases. No second volume of Tom & Jerry cartoons likely and any release would be incomplete. The next Looney Tunes set will likely be the last. They are licensing some properties out finally, but I doubt we would see Shout! get them.

Wasn't the problem with Tom & Jerry that they kept going back and forth on whether to release them uncensored?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Huh, I'm curious... what's the proper procedure on old racist stuff?

I would personally want them in as a historical document of the times, but I could see how they'd be scared of complaints

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Steve Yun posted:

Huh, I'm curious... what's the proper procedure on old racist stuff?

I would personally want them in as a historical document of the times, but I could see how they'd be scared of complaints

Having a disclaimer before hand and/or bundling the worst offenders together seems like the best solution.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

On the Looney Tunes DVDs they had disclaimers, a thing with Whoopi Goldberg talking about how they were intended for adults and presented uncut as a historical document, and possibly even a full featurette about the same topic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Call Me Charlie posted:

Having a disclaimer before hand and/or bundling the worst offenders together seems like the best solution.

Somehow I think the Tom and Jerry "Man, We Used To Be Mean To Black People" box wouldn't sell all that well outside certain interest groups.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Why am I just finding out that Alien 2: On Earth not only got a Blu-Ray release but bankrupted the distributor after they decided to press 30,000 copies. And more importantly, why isn't the market flooded with cheap copies?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

GonSmithe posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Wow-World-Wonder-Blu-ray/dp/B00462PTDQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385501291&sr=8-1&keywords=disney+WOW+blu-ray

It's a blu-ray designed to help you calibrate your HDTV, and it does a really fantastic job. I've used it on about 5 TVs and they all are so much better once calibrated correctly.
I'm giving this a whirl on this and I'm having a hell of a time trying to see either ideal white or ideal black. Even in the Advanced menu, I can't get the ideal stars in the middle to show up under any number of settings.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Call Me Charlie posted:

Why am I just finding out that Alien 2: On Earth not only got a Blu-Ray release but bankrupted the distributor after they decided to press 30,000 copies. And more importantly, why isn't the market flooded with cheap copies?

Midnight Legacy? They pressed 30,000 copies. They sold almost none of them and the distributor disappeared. It has the number "1" on the side because the distributors were planning to make a Criterion-like series. They spent way too much money restoring the film to make it look Criterion-quality. They whined about other distributors putting out cut versions of their movies which made their colleagues refuse to support them for having the luxury of a complete print.

Edit: They refused to do a manufactured on demand release because "it sucks" even though that is a major revenue stream for B-distributors. The restorers were the same ones Criterion actually uses, and the founder of Midnight Legacy flew to Rome to check up on them. They delayed printing multiple times, once to make 30,000 slipcovers. They used a BD-50 even though the disc only held 25 gigs. They basically committed suicide.

Corek fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 1, 2014

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Nate RFB posted:

I'm giving this a whirl on this and I'm having a hell of a time trying to see either ideal white or ideal black. Even in the Advanced menu, I can't get the ideal stars in the middle to show up under any number of settings.

Are you using a PS3 by any chance? I had that problem, and what I had to do was turn SuperWhite and Full RGB on in PS3 System Settings.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm a firm believer in the principle that all films deserve the best possible treatment because there's always someone who really loves whatever you're releasing, but that was a ridiculous business plan.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Nate RFB posted:

At least for brightness, it may just be a limited black range on your TV. I can get contrast set up perfectly, but can never see the darkest stars in the brightness setup, even with the PS3 settings codyclarke mentioned.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Corek posted:

Midnight Legacy? They pressed 30,000 copies. They sold almost none of them and the distributor disappeared. It has the number "1" on the side because the distributors were planning to make a Criterion-like series. They spent way too much money restoring the film to make it look Criterion-quality. They whined about other distributors putting out cut versions of their movies which made their colleagues refuse to support them for having the luxury of a complete print.

Edit: They refused to do a manufactured on demand release because "it sucks" even though that is a major revenue stream for B-distributors. The restorers were the same ones Criterion actually uses, and the founder of Midnight Legacy flew to Rome to check up on them. They delayed printing multiple times, once to make 30,000 slipcovers. They used a BD-50 even though the disc only held 25 gigs. They basically committed suicide.

Wow, it's like they were determined to go out of business.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

codyclarke posted:

Are you using a PS3 by any chance? I had that problem, and what I had to do was turn SuperWhite and Full RGB on in PS3 System Settings.
I do indeed, and that worked like a charm :toot:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So I'm finally getting around to upgrading a bunch of my favorite DVDs to bluray, and I learned that there's two versions of the Gladiator blu-ray - one from 2009 that has questionable video quality, and one from 2010 that has that problem fixed.

Does anyone have any tips on how to know I'm getting the right one if I'm buying online (amazon, ebay, I'm not picky)? I assume I'm going to get a better deal online than in a store, and I don't want to screw myself by either buying the wrong version or overspending (or both).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

So I'm finally getting around to upgrading a bunch of my favorite DVDs to bluray, and I learned that there's two versions of the Gladiator blu-ray - one from 2009 that has questionable video quality, and one from 2010 that has that problem fixed.

Does anyone have any tips on how to know I'm getting the right one if I'm buying online (amazon, ebay, I'm not picky)? I assume I'm going to get a better deal online than in a store, and I don't want to screw myself by either buying the wrong version or overspending (or both).

A good reference for these things is blu-ray.com.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CPL593H posted:

A good reference for these things is blu-ray.com.
Yeah, that's where I learned there even were multiple versions. However it doesn't make it exactly clear on what to look for in the case (the cases for the two versions seem to be identical), and I'm sure buying from a third-party seller on Amazon could end up being a crapshoot.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If you're buying from Amazon, they usually have the year of when the product first became available on their site, so if they're even selling the lovely 09 release anymore, that should help differentiate between the two.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah, that's where I learned there even were multiple versions. However it doesn't make it exactly clear on what to look for in the case (the cases for the two versions seem to be identical), and I'm sure buying from a third-party seller on Amazon could end up being a crapshoot.

If I remember right, the new version has a yellow barcode.

- edit Guess that's outdated.

some guy at blu-ray.com forum posted:

1B1R2 is the remastered disc.
1B1R1 then it's the old disc.
Hope that helps!

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 1, 2014

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

The nerds in their forum will usually know.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Thanks, I'll ask around. :)

In the meantime, I upgraded my DVDs of:
Event Horizon
Saving Private Ryan
Se7en
Starship Troopers
Indiana Jones trilogy

I was tempted to upgrade Independence Day, but apparently the bluray ditches the majority of the special features from the 2000 special edition DVD, which is unfortunate. I'm a big special features junkie, and it at least partially informs which DVDs I upgrade to bluray. I'm willing to settle for inferior video quality if it means I get to keep my DVD extras.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Maybe it's because I'm older or something, but I'm finding there's a lot less thought or effort put into special features now, and they're just kinda not as fun as they were on DVD. But that might be because I'm so used to them being there now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Thanks, I'll ask around. :)

In the meantime, I upgraded my DVDs of:
Event Horizon
Saving Private Ryan
Se7en
Starship Troopers
Indiana Jones trilogy

I was tempted to upgrade Independence Day, but apparently the bluray ditches the majority of the special features from the 2000 special edition DVD, which is unfortunate. I'm a big special features junkie, and it at least partially informs which DVDs I upgrade to bluray. I'm willing to settle for inferior video quality if it means I get to keep my DVD extras.

It also features the film Independence Day which is a huge drawback.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Independence Day owns and is arguably the best action blockbuster popcorn flick of all time. :colbert:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

CPL593H posted:

It also features the film Independence Day which is a huge drawback.

look at this guy being utterly and totally wrong about everything

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Independence Day owns and is arguably the best action blockbuster popcorn flick of all time. :colbert:

Nah.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Look at you. Look at how wrong you are.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Independence Day is pretty awesome and Roland Emmerich's only good movie. I think I'd still prefer to watch Mars Attacks if given the choice though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

But you said this:

Xenomrph posted:

In a world where Fast Five and Furious 6 exist. Also, just about every Arnold Schwarzenegger movie ever made.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I stand by my post, Independence Day is yet to be dethroned as the best summer blockbuster of all time. :colbert:

Also 'Stargate' is another awesome Emmerich movie.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 2, 2014

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Xenomrph posted:

I stand by my post, Independence Day is yet to be dethroned as the best summer blockbuster of all time. :colbert:

Also 'Stargate' is another awesome Emmerich movie.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

CPL593H posted:

But you said this:

In a world where Fast Five and Furious 6 exist. Also, just about every Arnold Schwarzenegger movie ever made.

Or Jaws. Or any of the first three Star Wars films. Or Aliens. poo poo, I'd put loving Men In Black up there before I'd watch Independence Day.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vintersorg posted:

Far from it, Stargate is a blast and does a ton of interesting things with the "chariots of the gods" motif, and the soundtrack a great to boot.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Die Hard, Commando, The Matrix...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Michael "Goddamned" Bay made The Rock, which was basically an excuse for Sean Connery and Nicholas Cage to ham around at each other for two hours. Needless to say, it is also significantly better than Independence Day.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I had no idea people disliked Independence Day, it's seriously been my go-to summer blockbuster movie ever since it came out. It's got memorable, quotable characters, over-the-top action, huge spectacle and scope, revolutionary special effects (that still hold up well today), an awesome bombastic score, all while being just all-around fun pretty much from beginning to end. It seriously checks every "summer blockbuster" checkbox for me better than any other movie out there. There are plenty of other movies that get certain aspects better, but I feel Independence Day strikes the perfect balance in what I expect from a summer blockbuster.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

revolutionary special effects (that still hold up well today)

The city-killing sequence is beautiful. The rest of the effects not only don't hold up today, they didn't look particularly good at the time.

Hell, Pacific Rim paid tribute to/borrowed liberally from ID and was a million times better.

In addition to many already named, how about a little flick called Raiders of the Lost Ark?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
White House Down is awesome.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The city-killing sequence is beautiful. The rest of the effects not only don't hold up today, they didn't look particularly good at the time.
I disagree. Sure it's got its share of questionable effects (the fiery dog escape), but a lot of the other stuff is still really great. The creature puppets, the aerial dogfights, the destruction of the city-destroyer at the end, I still think they look great.

Raiders, Star Wars (and to an extent, Return of the Jedi), The Avengers, Jurassic Park (although 'The Lost World' is more in-line with the tone I prefer from a summer blockbuster), and Pacific Rim are all way up there for me when it comes to "summer blockbusters", but Independence Day still reigns supreme in my book.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
All I remember from Independence day is cringing hard at the Presidents speech. I mean, I know it's called Independence day so I should expect plenty of :911: but god that speech was just awful, overly patriotic crap. I can only imagine how bad it would have been if it was a post 9/11 movie.

Mars Attacks was way better and it's essentially the same movie with the same plot moves, just one is taking it seriously and one is making fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Independence Day is a fun movie, but it's no Terminator 2. That is hands down the best action movie of all time. The effects still look great over 20 years later. Sound, music, story, pacing, etc. are all absolutely perfect.

• Locked thread