Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Paineopticon posted:

Are there any online CCG/TCGs that let you progress by playing against the AI? Hearthstone requires PvP to get gold and it looks like HoMM does too. I have Scrolls but it's not quite my cup of tea.

This is kind of out there, but if you can get your hands on the Marvel VS games from a few years ago it let you grind out many years worth of VS sets against the computer. I played it on the DS. I've played just about every digital TCG and the Marvel VS game is massively underrated.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000GM116E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

khy posted:

I'm sort of in the mood for a freeform game, but something along the lines of shadowrun (The genesis version) or Wing Commander : Privateer or Freelancer.

Something where I am given a main plot and storyline but I can go off the beaten path if I want. With non-story missions available for cash and goodies. Skyrim, Sega Genesis Shadowrun, Freelancer, Privateer are all examples of what I want but I'd thinking something sorta high tech. Not necessarily in space (Genesis Shadowrun is one of my all-time favorite games) but at least set in the future.

I used to play X3 etc. games and they were fun but a little overly complex; the idea of owning a fleet and space stations and poo poo was pretty drat cool, but in practice it felt ridiculously cumbersome to use.

Maybe try one of the Deus Ex games? That's future, plot, plus side missions. EYE Divine Cybermancy fits that, sort of. There's no explicit side missions, but each level can be replayed with randomly generated objectives for more cash and xp.

If there's a free form space game out there besides x3, I'd love to hear it, too. I guess you could try the Evochron games? I think Evochron Mercenary is the latest.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

khy posted:

I'm sort of in the mood for a freeform game, but something along the lines of shadowrun (The genesis version) or Wing Commander : Privateer or Freelancer.

Something where I am given a main plot and storyline but I can go off the beaten path if I want. With non-story missions available for cash and goodies. Skyrim, Sega Genesis Shadowrun, Freelancer, Privateer are all examples of what I want but I'd thinking something sorta high tech. Not necessarily in space (Genesis Shadowrun is one of my all-time favorite games) but at least set in the future. Or the present. Stalker's a good one but I've played it to death and there aren't any real 'missions' like what I want.

I used to play X3 etc. games and they were fun but a little overly complex; the idea of owning a fleet and space stations and poo poo was pretty drat cool, but in practice it felt ridiculously cumbersome to use.

Keep an eye on Starsector, and in the meantime check out State of Decay

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Evilreaver posted:

Keep an eye on Starsector, and in the meantime check out State of Decay

Seconding State of Decay. Not future, but it's probably the best zombie game out there. You control 1 dude at a time out of a small group of survivors. Each has random skills that you level up. Kill zombies, gather supplies, establish outposts, and set up traps against the zombie hordes.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Yeah, I've been playing State of Decay all day, and it does a great job of letting me just run around doing what ever, improving poo poo, getting stronger and generally just being a zombie menace. The whole while there is an over all story arch that helps guide you from place to place and open up new areas.

It really does scratch that "gently caress around with a purpose" itch.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Cantorsdust posted:

Seconding State of Decay. Not future, but it's probably the best zombie game out there. You control 1 dude at a time out of a small group of survivors. Each has random skills that you level up. Kill zombies, gather supplies, establish outposts, and set up traps against the zombie hordes.

I think a better way to put what I was looking for is "I want a game where I get to be a mercenary and go off and do missions for cash".

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I want to collect things, and I want to use the things I collect to build poo poo which enables me to collect rarer things. I want to explore and then be all "holy poo poo it's a place to mine striped feathers oh my god yes". Animal Crossing has never been appealing to me because I want a real sense of progression and getting a new couch didn't do it for me. I've been playing Dwarf Fortress clones like Gnomoria and Towns and they're almost what I want, but I want more first person-y. Like Diablo, but with less combat. Like Minecraft, but not Minecraft because I've played Minecraft a lot. There has to be ONE good Minecraft clone out there that got the collection and progression poo poo down, hasn't there?? :smith:

Ravenicus
Jun 30, 2013

Tagra posted:

I want to collect things, and I want to use the things I collect to build poo poo which enables me to collect rarer things. I want to explore and then be all "holy poo poo it's a place to mine striped feathers oh my god yes". Animal Crossing has never been appealing to me because I want a real sense of progression and getting a new couch didn't do it for me. I've been playing Dwarf Fortress clones like Gnomoria and Towns and they're almost what I want, but I want more first person-y. Like Diablo, but with less combat. Like Minecraft, but not Minecraft because I've played Minecraft a lot. There has to be ONE good Minecraft clone out there that got the collection and progression poo poo down, hasn't there?? :smith:

Terraria perhaps? Or maybe Starbound? Starbound is still Early Access and uncomplete, though, if you don't want to get into that. They both sound like what you're looking for though.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Tagra posted:

Have you looked into 7 days to die? I haven't tried it myself but it looks very much like a minecraft clone. "CastleMiner" looks like a complete ripoff of Minecraft but might be different enough to take a look at, however it's XBox 360 only.

Or just go down this list : http://gameblaster64.xandorus.com/list-of-minecraft-clones

khy fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 1, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
If I really, really liked the "plot your murder path from afar, drop the sentries, sneak in and knife everyone else to death without any individual mook ever knowing anything was wrong until they felt cold steel between their ribs" part of taking outposts in FarCry 3, what should I try next? Sniper Elite V2 is on sale now but I actually stopped sniping in FC3 because it was less fun/challenging than knifing all the fools.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Have you played any Assassins Creed? From the 2nd onward there are a lot of the scenarios like that (4 is full of them and many are repeatable.)

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

khy posted:

I'm sort of in the mood for a freeform game, but something along the lines of shadowrun (The genesis version) or Wing Commander : Privateer or Freelancer. Something where I can be a mercenary-type character, where I'm given my choice of a bunch of missions to do.

Something where I am given a main plot and storyline but I can go off the beaten path if I want. With non-story missions available for cash and goodies. Skyrim, Sega Genesis Shadowrun, Freelancer, Privateer are all examples of what I want but I'd thinking something sorta high tech. Not necessarily in space (Genesis Shadowrun is one of my all-time favorite games) but at least set in the future. Or the present. Stalker's a good one but I've played it to death and there aren't any real 'missions' like what I want.

Have you tried Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries? I don't know if the MekTek pack is still kicking around on the internet (willing to be it probably is), but they had it going for free along with a few additional mods pre-installed.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

khy posted:

I think a better way to put what I was looking for is "I want a game where I get to be a mercenary and go off and do missions for cash".

Space Rangers HD?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Tagra posted:

Don't Starve?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

If I really, really liked the "plot your murder path from afar, drop the sentries, sneak in and knife everyone else to death without any individual mook ever knowing anything was wrong until they felt cold steel between their ribs" part of taking outposts in FarCry 3, what should I try next? Sniper Elite V2 is on sale now but I actually stopped sniping in FC3 because it was less fun/challenging than knifing all the fools.

The first Crysis has a lot of this.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

Have you also played FC3: Blood Dragon?

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

You want Dishonored. It plays, if you choose to, exactly like you described.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

I really enjoyed Burnout Paradise, is there any recent game like that? A sandbox-style racing game thing like that, I mean.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Music Theory posted:

I really enjoyed Burnout Paradise, is there any recent game like that? A sandbox-style racing game thing like that, I mean.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (the new one) was by the same developers and has a very similar feel but with licensed cars.

Driver: San Francisco is also a good choice, but it's got a plot to it.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

I've played Terraria to death, and I'm waiting for Starbound to develop more. I love Don't Starve but I dislike that it's a fight against attrition... I want to build poo poo and hoard my collectables in relative peace :saddowns:.

khy posted:

Have you looked into 7 days to die? I haven't tried it myself but it looks very much like a minecraft clone. "CastleMiner" looks like a complete ripoff of Minecraft but might be different enough to take a look at, however it's XBox 360 only.

Or just go down this list : http://gameblaster64.xandorus.com/list-of-minecraft-clones

7 Days is something I was actually really interested by, but I don't like the competitive PvP aspects. I'm excited to try a private server with maybe a couple friends to fight zombies with me, though.

All of these games measure progress with weapons/combat and I'm looking for progression in terms of collecting faster/more/rarity

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
If you don't like the attrition aspect you might not like 7 Days to Die either. It's partly built on similar concepts with the world getting more dangerous as the game goes on.

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible
I just got an Ipad and I'm not sure what to do with it for fun, anything decent for mobile?

I like pretty much any genre.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Dementedghost posted:

I just got an Ipad and I'm not sure what to do with it for fun, anything decent for mobile?

Rayman Jungle Run is pretty fun and as of the other day was available for free. Not sure how long that lasts but it's only $3 normally. Square Enix games have also been on sale as of late with various Final Fantasy games available for under $10 and Deus Ex: The Fall available for only 99 cents.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I just played The Stanley Parable. Anything similiar like it, but hopefully not as pretentious?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Dementedghost posted:

If you've not played Ghost Trick on the DS grab it now while the in-app-purchase to unlock all of the chapters is only 99 cents.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

AnonSpore posted:

This might be a bit of an obvious answer, but Hitman: Blood Money is an entire game built around that. It's all about the satisfaction of coming up with the perfect plan and taking out your target without anyone ever realizing you were even there. Like FC3 you can take as loud or quiet an approach as you want and the game will respond naturally.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This might be a bit of an obvious answer, but Hitman: Blood Money is an entire game built around that. It's all about the satisfaction of coming up with the perfect plan and taking out your target without anyone ever realizing you were even there. Like FC3 you can take as loud or quiet an approach as you want and the game will respond naturally.

One of my fondest gaming memories was playing Blood Money with my best friend on the second level, the vineyard, with the goal of killing every single person in the level one by one without anyone noticing. Great times.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

ManOfTheYear posted:

I just played The Stanley Parable. Anything similiar like it, but hopefully not as pretentious?

Maybe not quite like it because it doesn't change as awesomely and doesn't have the amazing narrator, but someone gave me "Dream" for christmas and it reminds me of Myst. It might work for someone looking for a Stanley Parable wandering around style game too. It's early access and kind of buggy though.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Dementedghost posted:

I really like Trainyard Express (and the paid version "Trainyard") for a nice puzzler.

However, your best bet is to check out the iOS Games thread here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3525464

Tons of great recommendations there.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
What are some DS games that basically only use the touchscreen for control? I've already played and enjoyed the Ace Attorney series and Ghost Trick.

Cacotopic Stain
Jun 25, 2013
Anyone know which 4x space games are good? I'm looking for something with a good amount of content, depth, and the option to play as aliens or to make your own race.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

What are some DS games that basically only use the touchscreen for control? I've already played and enjoyed the Ace Attorney series and Ghost Trick.

Starfox command and the zelda ones if you're into those sorts of things.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Cacotopic Stain posted:

Anyone know which 4x space games are good? I'm looking for something with a good amount of content, depth, and the option to play as aliens or to make your own race.

Distant Worlds is probably at the top of the heap. The only downside is that Matrix Games is stubborn and operates under the assumption that a $70 price point (for the game+expansions) is the optimal strategy.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cacotopic Stain posted:

Master of Orion 2 remains the best one :negative:

Cacotopic Stain
Jun 25, 2013

Bouchacha posted:

Distant Worlds is probably at the top of the heap. The only downside is that Matrix Games is stubborn and operates under the assumption that a $70 price point (for the game+expansions) is the optimal strategy.

Just checked it out it looks cool but there's no way in hell I'm paying $70 for the full experience. I mean why would they do that? It's absurd and outdated and it will turn people away.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Cacotopic Stain posted:

Distant Worlds is definitely number 1 right now, despite its expense. Sword of the Stars (1, not 2) is excellent as well. Endless Space is decent, although some say it's too bland.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Anatharon posted:

Starfox command and the zelda ones if you're into those sorts of things.

Woah, I'd never heard of Starfox Command before.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chas McGill posted:

Get yourself a copy of Elite Beat Agents if you haven't already.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

ManOfTheYear posted:

This is a though one, because the game is quite unique. Why did you enjoy it, exactly?

- If you like strong writing and the fact that it's very story driven, I'd suggest Gone Home. It's very short, though.
- If you like the surreal atmosphere maybe The Void is right up your alley. It's very Russian, which means is quite pretentious too.
- If you like to see the consequences of your actions, you'll probably enjoy The Walking Dead (graphical adventure) or Alpha Protocol (3rd person stealth shooter with RPG elements). Alpha Protocol let's you influence the way the story develops in HUGE ways, but besides the writing the gameplay is pretty weak. The story in Walking Dead is a bit more linear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Can someone recommend me a few good Arma II mods or missions?

My friends and I all have Arma II: Operation Arrowhead and the base Arma II. We've been playing it for at least two years, and I've been very bored with it for some time. I'm starting to browse through the huge catalog of fan missions and mods, but I could use some advice.

We play co-op, in fairly short bursts of around half an hour, at least half of us are averse to versus gameplay, or really anything very challenging. As a group, we prefer to go up against enemies that we outrange, where they shoot at us but rarely hit. Like I said, I've been pretty bored with this for some time.

What I'd really like is something like Far Cry 2's single player game, but with multiplayer co-op. Like, roam around, get a mission, find little fortifications or populated towns on the road, kill dudes, take their stuff, maybe with the larger goal of an assassination or demolition, or an escape.

Sounds like a typical mission, BUT what I want is something that generates these goals randomly on its own. Something like the SecOps module, but with more depth, randomness, and replayability.

(Arma has a personal reputation with me for almost, but not quite, meeting my lowest expectations for basic fun, so I will not be surprised if something like this only 'almost' exists.)