Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

haha they actually released as a bonus disc on one of their albums just the guitar solos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP5mJUwnX9k

e: can't bring up trey azagthoth without posting this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MImaK0MDac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Steve Vai Megathread: Stage Fans Blowing Through Balding Heads

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

comes along bort posted:

e: can't bring up trey azagthoth without posting this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MImaK0MDac

Oh god holy poo poo that's awesome

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Snowy posted:

why

because he's exactly like most of you?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ZombieParts posted:

why

because he's exactly like most of you?

yep. he's living the dream

Snowy posted:

the best part is his quake iii arena clan is named sailor scouts

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 1, 2014

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Literally a weapon from Monster Hunter

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
guitars in this vid range from okay to ugly but johnny demarco sure knows how to sell it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRQJgZVxRX0

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

comes along bort posted:

yep. he's living the dream

the best part is his quake iii arena clan is named sailor scouts

It was sobering to find out how many rock heroes and actors are just nerdy guys who play consoles and WOW in their off time. I remember watching Cribs for the first time and realizing gangsta rap was just an act and these guys were just sitting at home watching cartoons.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
dear thread, are these guitars acceptable :ohdear:

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I remember watching Cribs and Redman was living in this tiny house with a Dreamcast and lotion on his nightstand near his bed.

Redman owns.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

saganite posted:

dear thread, are these guitars acceptable :ohdear:

can we not post our normal boring guitars asking if the thread approves?

Captain Tolerable posted:

I remember watching Cribs and Redman was living in this tiny house with a Dreamcast and lotion on his nightstand near his bed.

Redman owns.

that was the one where he shows off the casio keyboard from radio shack in the tiny bedroom and it's like that's where all the wu-tang albums were made and there's some dude passed out on the floor in the basement living room right

totally owns

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jan 1, 2014

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

comes along bort posted:

:madmax:

fun fact: the martin, albeit ugly, will fit into the overhead compartments on any airplane

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

comes along bort posted:

that was the one where he shows off the casio keyboard from radio shack in the tiny bedroom and it's like that's where all the wu-tang albums were made and there's some dude passed out on the floor in the basement living room right

totally owns

i think he also had cash in shoeboxes and stacks of toys for future gifts.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
are cutaways really necessary on an acoustic

seriously, who's gonna be shredding those higher frets.

I mean if Steve Vai was a Boy Scout leader and he's sitting round the campfire then yea sure, he'd wanna break out the ol' dreadnaught or w/ever the gently caress they're called, and shred the hell out of some folk songs

but no

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Fair Hallion posted:

seriously, who's gonna be shredding those higher frets.

I mean if Steve Vai was a Boy Scout leader and he's sitting round the campfire then yea sure, he'd wanna break out the ol' dreadnaught or w/ever the gently caress they're called, and shred the hell out of some folk songs

but no

i refuse to believe you're serious

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ZombieParts posted:

Speaking of being serious did you know that according to Steve Vai's song "gently caress yourself" organized religion is "some seriously sinnin’ business"?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'll have some more interesting and relevant Steve Vai facts later in the thread so be sure to check back

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Fair Hallion posted:

short answer: yes
long answer: yes.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
the tele cuts away to the 21st fret, the furch (acoustic) to the 16th, if you play acoustic with capos down on the 5th or 6th fret like I do sometimes it's nice to have some air down there

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Dreadnoughts are really ugly and dumb guitars

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ZombieParts posted:

It was sobering to find out how many rock heroes and actors are just nerdy guys who play consoles and WOW in their off time. I remember watching Cribs for the first time and realizing gangsta rap was just an act and these guys were just sitting at home watching cartoons.

George "corpsegrinder" FIsher from cannibal corpse is a huge wow nerd and even has a horde tatoo and will proudly show that poo poo off if you ever meet him

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

ZombieParts posted:

lol no not entirely, the cutaway obv. useful for some folks, just being slightly facetious as they're not my thing. I'm a three chord schlub.
My ability / tastes are more Billy Childish than Billy Sheehan

but pure aesthetics, any acoustic with cutaway? "wow what a cool looking guitar" said no-one ever

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fair Hallion posted:

lol no not entirely, the cutaway obv. useful for some folks, just being slightly facetious as they're not my thing. I'm a three chord schlub.
My ability / tastes are more Billy Childish than Billy Sheehan

but pure aesthetics, any acoustic with cutaway? "wow what a cool looking guitar" said no-one ever

sorry mang I don't even prefer Fender stuff for the most part but these things are p cool looking and the black one actually plays really well

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

this guy ruined those for me

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
i want to murder those holes, oh my god why would anyone think that was a good or cool idea for sweet guitar players

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

GreatGreen posted:

Ed Roman is the biggest douche rear end in a top hat that has ever been involved with guitars in any capacity. Think about the heights of that achievement for a second.

Eh, not to defend the guy or anything, but he's not that bad. He acts like a spoiled fat kid at his own birthday party and cannot loving shut up (seriously, look at his website, he'll have this fantastic technical article about pickup placement or whatever and end it with "PROTECT THE SECOND AMENDMENT, BECAUSE THE SECOND AMENDMENT IS THE ONLY THING PROTECTING THE CONSTITUTION" underneath it, wtf?), but he's supposed to be a pretty fair guy to do business with once he's decided that he likes you.

Personal Anecdote: I was repairing a beat-up old Steinberger for a customer and the guitar needed a new bridge. This would normall be no problem but vintage Steinberger bridges are incompatible with the newer models and, as Ed Roman brought all of their old inventory when they first went under, he is literally the only place in the world to get a new replacement part, so if I want to repair this guitar I have no choice but to ring him up from the UK at 2am (he doesn't do business over email and there is no option to buy from his website), I ring his shop up and tell the guy who answers what I want, he says that Ed deals with that sort of thing and passed me over, conversation went something like this;

Ed: Yea? What do you want?
Me: Err, a Trans-trem bridge for a vintage Steinberger.
Ed: You restoring one or something?
Me: Yea, I'm..
Ed: Because for twice as much I'll build you an instrument that looks the same and plays way better, plus I'll put a decent bridge on it for you, those old bridges ain't up to much
Me: Well, I'm repairing one for a customer and with the trans-trem you are the only game in town, so....
Ed: Hahaha, Town??? What town is that?
Me: The world... Town...
Ed: *Screams of laughter down the phone, I can practically hear his chins wobble* Holy poo poo, world town. World town??? *cue about 2 minutes of laughter* ahh.... gently caress. So you wanted one, ok, where are you calling from?
Me: England.
Ed: You called me up from england and you are probably paying what, 10 dollars a minute to tell me about world town? Jesus christ, you guys crack me up. Ok, give me your details.
[cue about 10 minutes of haggling and getting my payment details and address sorted]
Ed: Okay... Okay Mr Dog Eggs, I'll get it sorted.... Hang on.. This call is gonna cost you MOOCHO DENERRROOO, you need anything else?
Me: No, just the bridge.
Ed: Okay... okay... You're getting something else, what do you want?
Me: Umm... For free?
Ed: I'm the Mayor of World Town, you want some pickups? I'll give you some pickups, I've got boxes of gibson and PRS humbuckers? You want a few??
Me: For free? Yea, sure!
Ed: Okay... Okay... Right.... I've wasted enough time on you, this call is probably costing me more money than it you to you, so that's it. Bye *hangs up*.

About 3 days later I get an express package with the bridge I wanted with 4 random pickups, some 3 x 3 tuners and some Steinberger strings (they have balls at both end) along with a note saying "FROM THE MAYOR OF WORLD TOWN".

The phonecall cost me about £30, the replacement bridge and shipping was pretty expensive, but all the cost got passed to the customer and I got some random free crap. It was pretty confusing but I can't complain. He's an odd guy.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

:( I don't think I am a "fucknugget." I've just been trying to GBS with people who kicked off the thread with my beloved guitars; and show some of the technical side of owning and playing. I don't think you have to be either to make good music. My favorite guitarist is Robben Ford and I started playing because of SRV, not EVH or Vai. I never even got into Malmsteen.

I bet if my collection was all Fenders or Gibsons I'd get a different response here.

Is this Spector Legend 5 Classic an ugly bass?

Do you even like this Ibanez USA Custom, built in California, with Tiger-stripe maple and a Bird's-eye maple neck, with a Mahogany body? If not, is it because of the zebra H/S/H electronics? Or some other reason that isn't personal to me?

Or how about the hard-tail swamp ash RG471AH, with Eric Johnson pickups that I covered and potted myself? That's a DiMarzio True Velevet in the middle. Both of these last two guitars have series/parallel push/pull pots.

This one and the Strat Style are the ones I play these days, because they don't have vibrato bars to set up, and stringing them/detuning them takes minutes.

Well, please listen to some Robben Ford. Not Rob Ford. The guitarist, not the Toronto fatso.

Politician (Cream cover) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOkeYT62T1k
Worried Life Blues https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XontsTA2zaU

Happy New Gear, everyone.

VVV I get your message.

all your guitars are ugly because theyre yours hth

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Dr. Faustus posted:

:( I don't think I am a "fucknugget." I've just been trying to GBS with people who kicked off the thread with my beloved guitars; and show some of the technical side of owning and playing. I don't think you have to be either to make good music. My favorite guitarist is Robben Ford and I started playing because of SRV, not EVH or Vai. I never even got into Malmsteen.

I bet if my collection was all Fenders or Gibsons I'd get a different response here.

Is this Spector Legend 5 Classic an ugly bass?

Do you even like this Ibanez USA Custom, built in California, with Tiger-stripe maple and a Bird's-eye maple neck, with a Mahogany body? If not, is it because of the zebra H/S/H electronics? Or some other reason that isn't personal to me?

Or how about the hard-tail swamp ash RG471AH, with Eric Johnson pickups that I covered and potted myself? That's a DiMarzio True Velevet in the middle. Both of these last two guitars have series/parallel push/pull pots.

This one and the Strat Style are the ones I play these days, because they don't have vibrato bars to set up, and stringing them/detuning them takes minutes.

Well, please listen to some Robben Ford. Not Rob Ford. The guitarist, not the Toronto fatso.

Politician (Cream cover) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOkeYT62T1k
Worried Life Blues https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XontsTA2zaU

Happy New Gear, everyone.

VVV I get your message.

Speaking as a guy who makes guitars, you are gear-sperging like gently caress.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

if you're listing what wood both the neck and body, what type of maple top finish it has (seriously, most people can tell, it's fine just saying "maple top" if anything, iirc they do little to nothing for the tone anyway) and where the guitar was made, you're sperging out. nobody cares.

most legendary tones were accomplished on stock guitars using regular normal wood (usually alder in the 80s iiirc). EVH's original frankenstrat cost $200 to make and its basis was a flawed discarded charvel body. robbin crosby spent years and thousands of dollars in the 80s commmissioning custom shop guitars searching for the "perfect tone" and nothing he used on later albums sounded better than their debut. dave mustaine switched to using korina for his Vs in the 90s (and still does iirc) and nothing sounds better than rust in peace. the configuration guns and roses used to record appetite for destruction with remains unknown - iirc some random person set it up using the studio's equipment and it was serendipitously that way, but even so wiki says slash used a les paul knockoff. "perfect tone" is a myth.

Rhopunzel fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 1, 2014

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm thinking of buying a new guitar this spring. How can I be sure I am not buying an ugly one?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Rhopunzel posted:

if you're listing what wood both the neck and body, what type of maple top finish it has (seriously, most people can tell, it's fine just saying "maple top" if anything, iirc they do little to nothing for the tone anyway) and where the guitar was made, you're sperging out. nobody cares.

most legendary tones were accomplished on stock guitars using regular normal wood (usually alder in the 80s iiirc). EVH's original frankenstrat cost $200 to make and its basis was a flawed discarded charvel body. robbin crosby spent years and thousands of dollars in the 80s commmissioning custom shop guitars searching for the "perfect tone" and nothing he used on later albums sounded better than their debut. dave mustaine switched to using korina for his Vs in the 90s (and still does iirc) and nothing sounds better than rust in peace. the configuration guns and roses used to record appetite for destruction with remains unknown - iirc some random person set it up using the studio's equipment and it was serendipitously that way, but even so wiki says slash used a les paul knockoff. "perfect tone" is a myth.

Angus Young apparently never modifies equipment as each instrument will inherently sound its own way and is neither good nor bad.. just what you want at the time.

Also helps being sickeningly rich as gently caress of course.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Allen Wren posted:

I'm thinking of buying a new guitar this spring. How can I be sure I am not buying an ugly one?

if you want a serious reply: acoustic or electric, budget, style of music you like, post or pm or whatever i'll help narrow down your options

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
i think we can all agree anyone who voluntarily buys a fender is a clown

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

VarXX posted:

i think we can all agree anyone who voluntarily buys a guitar is a clown

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

mclast posted:

if you want a serious reply: acoustic or electric, budget, style of music you like, post or pm or whatever i'll help narrow down your options

Nope. Ludicrous replies only.

(I'm probably getting a Bass VI, which is already kinda ugly, so, mission accomplished.)

also

comes along bort posted:

VarXX posted:

i think we can all agree anyone who voluntarily buys a guitar is a clown

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

all guitars are ugly

bits of wood with metal cables tied to it

terrible

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Allen Wren posted:

Nope. Ludicrous replies only.

(I'm probably getting a Bass VI, which is already kinda ugly, so, mission accomplished.)

get an ashbory

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
those look dumb as poo poo and fun as heck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Dewgy posted:

get an ashbory

what is even going on here

• Locked thread