Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
can't slap? worthless

edit ugly guitars for a new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

man thats gross posted:

those look dumb as poo poo and fun as heck

01011001 posted:

what is even going on here

it's a two foot plank with rubber strings that sounds like a full upright bass when you amplify it

just as dumb and fun as it looks

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Rhopunzel posted:

if you're listing what wood both the neck and body, what type of maple top finish it has (seriously, most people can tell, it's fine just saying "maple top" if anything, iirc they do little to nothing for the tone anyway) and where the guitar was made, you're sperging out. nobody cares.

most legendary tones were accomplished on stock guitars using regular normal wood (usually alder in the 80s iiirc). EVH's original frankenstrat cost $200 to make and its basis was a flawed discarded charvel body. robbin crosby spent years and thousands of dollars in the 80s commmissioning custom shop guitars searching for the "perfect tone" and nothing he used on later albums sounded better than their debut. dave mustaine switched to using korina for his Vs in the 90s (and still does iirc) and nothing sounds better than rust in peace. the configuration guns and roses used to record appetite for destruction with remains unknown - iirc some random person set it up using the studio's equipment and it was serendipitously that way, but even so wiki says slash used a les paul knockoff. "perfect tone" is a myth.

SUPER SECRET INFORMATION: Wood type matters a lot less with electric guitars than people think. It makes a difference sure, but 99.999999999% of people will be unable to tell the difference between an ash body and a mahogany body by sound alone. In my experience the man factors in getting a good sound is a tight-fitting neck pocket, not using too much glue (if making a body from multiple bits of wood), screwing the pickups directly to the body and the quality/type of pickups (although pickups are insanely over-priced for what they are, they cost nothing to make).

Aldo, if you are using pickups with a resistance over 10k and/or using a lot of pedals, you aren't going to hear the wood anyway.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

here's another awesome stupid tiny bass

if you're gonna blow a grand on a five string bass you may as well get something you can carry with you everywhere

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

That loving headstock seriously if you've got a Dean wash and cut your hair and wear something other than those Godamned cutoff camo shorts.

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

Every single guitar posted itt except telecasters (including the teleacaster/v hybrid) looks better than a telecaster

boy am I mad about telecasters

edit: and the white-boy hacks who plays them

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

[insert Black Metal joke here]

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
i didn't know bad brains reunited

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

White Dog Eggs posted:

c'mon son, step up your game

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

White Dog Eggs posted:

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

MYSTFIER?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Spanish Manlove posted:

c'mon son, step up your game

I used to know a black guy who would wear Burzum T-Shirts. He wouldn't listen.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkoXB1yaC-s

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Dewgy posted:

get an ashbory

I've only ever played an original from 85/86 and not a re-issue. If you don't mind tuning it every thirty seconds due to surgical tubing strings, it sounds so loving absurdly great. The tuning thing makes it a pain to use in a live show, but the crowds find the deep booming coming from a space Ukelele to be funny.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 2, 2014

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Frankenstyle posted:

I've only ever played an original from 85/86 and not a re-issue. If you don't mind tuning it every thirty seconds, it sounds so loving great. The tuning thing makes it a pain to use in a live show, but the crowds find the deep boom coming from a space Ukelele to be funny.

not to mention that the stock strings will just snap if they're left under standard tuning tension in a matter of hours. i had an ashbory for all of two weeks before i gave it to some kid that reads too much talkbass

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Rhopunzel posted:

if you're listing what wood both the neck and body, what type of maple top finish it has (seriously, most people can tell, it's fine just saying "maple top" if anything, iirc they do little to nothing for the tone anyway) and where the guitar was made, you're sperging out.

Oh! I thought it was just the sort of thing musicians love to talk about (and that's why it doesn't fit anywhere on the autism spectrum.) I thought it was just a sign that musicians are preferential about the craftsmanship of their tools and love the little details. Same with their favorite music. Locations get reputations as well. The USA Customs were built by the American luthiers who made the signature models and built the instruments for their American endorsees. They only do those, now. Whereas an instrument from Mexico used to be horrible all the time, now you can get really nice instruments from Mexico and Indonesia, if you're lucky, for much less than the bloated price of any Made In America Fender or Gibson.

But ok, I'll embrace my sperginess, then.

White Dog Eggs posted:

SUPER SECRET INFORMATION: Wood type matters a lot less with electric guitars than people think. It makes a difference sure, but 99.999999999% of people will be unable to tell the difference between an ash body and a mahogany body by sound alone.

Aldo, if you are using pickups with a resistance over 10k and/or using a lot of pedals, you aren't going to hear the wood anyway.

I'm dubious about your "99.999999999%" anecdote but I do totally agree wrt pickups and stomp-boxes.
I tend to avoid the higher gain pickups because I want to hear the wood and strings and my fingers interacting with the amps.
The lower gain pickups just have better high-frequency response (oops I am feeling the sperg) and when I want to use an effect I try to use very low noise decives in an effects loop, where you can use less but it sounds like more.

But wrt to wood, the instruments I end up keeping are the ones you can hear loudly and clearly, unplugged, from the next room when I'm plucking on them. I was picking on my home-built Strat-style in my bassist's old house on the family-room couch, and I heard him shout from the bedroom around two corners and down a hall, "That's a loud guitar!" It's just a bolt-on maple neck on a southern ash body, but I have played a ton of those that sounded plastic or muddy. I think wood definitely matters and this translates directly to your amplified tone as well, as long as you are using reasonably low gain and have a clean signal chain.

drat, first sperg of the day. I'll be chasing this high all night, now.

VVV Don't wanna.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 2, 2014

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
^^^ shut up

Harry in Rio posted:

not to mention that the stock strings will just snap if they're left under standard tuning tension in a matter of hours. i had an ashbory for all of two weeks before i gave it to some kid that reads too much talkbass

my high G snapped in half and flew off directly into the garbage so this is true, getting red pahoehoes to replace it should work pretty well though

super mario batali
Aug 1, 2013

Dice-a the Mushroom
Grimey Drawer

That's 24 carat chocolate right there.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Dewgy posted:

^^^ shut up

my high G snapped in half and flew off directly into the garbage so this is true, getting red pahoehoes to replace it should work pretty well though

the fella i gave that bass to put multicolored pahoedoes and he calls it his dread bass

have you persons ever broken a string on a real guitar/bass guitar, have the end go into an electrical outlet and then flame up like a loving lightbulb element, blaze brilliantly for like 2 seconds and then turn to dust?

parkers are pretty loving ugly imho

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

Oh! I thought it was just the sort of thing musicians love to talk about
To a degree, you're right, a lot of us DO love to talk about the little ins and outs of our instruments, what you're forgetting is that this thread, by and large, is filled with non-musicians who just want to have some fun poking at guitars they think, for whatever reason right or wrong, look bad. Cost and quality have exactly zero bearing on it all. It's for taking the piss for the sheer sake of taking the piss.

I realize you felt attacked and tried to respond in a serious manner to defend yourself and your gear choices, but this isn't the venue man, come back over to ML or something and have some 'serious' discussion about things, but you really should let it go in here, for real. You've got some nice gear (and I've been craving one of those original 'fabric' JEM's for a long long time as a bit of a nostalgia trip, I just haven't found a great deal on one yet) and some nice chops, just let it go, please dude.

Actual content:
The headstock can make or break a guitar for me, like the Dean I posted above, it could be the absolute nicest guitar ever made but if the headstock doesn't do it for me I just can't bring myself to be happy and excited to play it. Case in point, Heritage Guitars. FANTASTIC build quality, a great bunch of guys by all accounts but their headstocks just look puny and boring compared to the rest of the guitars, out of proportion, hell I dunno.

What's really weird to me is that of all people, until recently Alex Skolnick was a Heritage endorsee.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
gently caress you sperglord.h don't respond to faustus seriously

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Spanish Manlove posted:

seriously it only ends in tears and faustus posting more

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Dewgy posted:

seriously it only ends in tears and faustus posting more

Tears of laughter?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

OKok, sorry, I just feel kinda sorry for the dude was all.

Here's more content:

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'm dubious about your "99.999999999%" anecdote but I do totally agree wrt pickups and stomp-boxes.
I tend to avoid the higher gain pickups because I want to hear the wood and strings and my fingers interacting with the amps.
The lower gain pickups just have better high-frequency response (oops I am feeling the sperg) and when I want to use an effect I try to use very low noise decives in an effects loop, where you can use less but it sounds like more.

I don't mean 99.99999% of musicians, I mean people in general, the vast majority of which will be non-musicians. A trained ear can tell (just) but no one else will give a toss.

Oh god I'm the spergiest sperg in spergtown. Sperg.

Here are some ugly guitars

lovely Russian Tonika/Ural guitar (this one is a bass, which used the exact same pickups as the normal electric). I brought one of these on ebay and it was loving crazy. weighed 15lbs, smelled like it came from inside a cow and sounded like a blue-assed fly having an epileptic fit in a biscuit tin, in a cathedral. Horrible thing. It also had the price and year of manufacture stamped on the neckplate, which was pretty cool.

Kay solo king. Urghhh.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 2, 2014

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
For real, where can a guy in Canada buy an Ashbury bass? I live in Montreal and the big music shops here don't seem to hold it.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

White Dog Eggs posted:

I don't mean 99.99999% of musicians, I mean people in general, the vast majority of which will be non-musicians. A trained ear can tell (just) but no one else will give a toss.
Absolutely right, that's why I've started using an 11 Rack for 99% of my gigging. It lets met get really close to most of the sounds I need (in a cover band there's a lot of different tones) and the only people who can tell I'm using modeling are other musicians who just stand there with their arms crossed being snotty anyway, gently caress 'em, it takes me 10 minutes to set up and break down.

For gigs where we can really turn it up and have some fun sure, I'll break out the half stack and all but mostly, 11 Rack into the PA, that's it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

Why not? The rest of you do.

BTW it's cool, iostream.h, the gauntlet was thrown on Page One and Two, and I just post what I feel. If this was a serious thread or anything but FYAD-Lite, I'd have gone a different route. This is what GBS is now, and I'm fitting in great. You and I both know how silly it is and how much these people get off on flaming me. I wouldn't be participating if I weren't getting something from it, too.

You're very kind, though; and I appreciate it.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 2, 2014

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
i admit, i am serious when i request that you get hit by a bus or jump off a building

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Spanish Manlove posted:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

i admit, i am serious when i request that you get hit by a bus or jump off a building
Taken under consideration.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
but yes what the guy said is right, there's a time and place for discussing the woods your guitar's made of and where it was made, a casual thread where we're making fun of ugly guitars isn't it. i'd love to discuss why dimarzio x2ns would go much better in my jackson dinky than duncan JBs, but this thread isn't it

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upV4X6REGHE

poo poo

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dilOIAVm6Rg&t=35s

What type of wood is the neck of the guitar made of that that guy starts shredding on in the music in the background? Is that the deep tonal resonance of a rosewood inlay?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Rhopunzel posted:

but yes what the guy said is right, there's a time and place for discussing the woods your guitar's made of and where it was made, a casual thread where we're making fun of ugly guitars isn't it. i'd love to discuss why dimarzio x2ns would go much better in my jackson dinky than duncan JBs, but this thread isn't it
JB's. Every day.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
this is the thread to ask if i should get the red bass strings or the red yellow green black rasta ones though

on a red ashbory which would look worse

and how should that affect my decision?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Do they really make strings for Ashborys anymore? I remember being shocked by how full those little guys sounded, but good luck with your intonation on that tiny scale.

• Locked thread