Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
If they were neutral, how come the British blockaded them so they couldn't sell the Germans goods (esp food)? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Didn't Britain sign a treaty saying they'd intervene on the side of the Low Countries if any of them were invaded or on the other side if they entered the war of their own accord?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

That map is clearly a fake. The Netherlands were neutral for the entire duration of that war. :colbert:

:airquote:neutral:airquote:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

made of bees posted:

Didn't Britain sign a treaty saying they'd intervene on the side of the Low Countries if any of them were invaded or on the other side if they entered the war of their own accord?

All the great European powers had agreed with the treaty that gave Belgium her independence, to A. never invade Belgium and B. declare war on whoever did invade Belgium. As far as I know no such treaty existed with the Netherlands.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Carbon dioxide posted:

That map is clearly a fake. The Netherlands were neutral for the entire duration of that war. :colbert:
Switzerland on the other hand was a proud member of the Allies.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
The treaty was as much to stop Dutch aggression as it was French or German.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It doesn't really matter if a government calls itself neutral or not if it doesn't control an inch of ground.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm pretty sure that map is from the Onion. So yes, it's a fake.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
That Onion Map reminds me of this map from America: The Book. Can you see what's wrong with it that has nothing to do with the joke?

Albania was never part of Yugoslavia

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

The Monkey Man posted:

That Onion Map reminds me of this map from America: The Book. Can you see what's wrong with it that has nothing to do with the joke?

But there were several plans for it to join. :eng101:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

The Monkey Man posted:

It surprises you that "America: The Book" gets geography wrong?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

The Monkey Man posted:

It also has Istria as Slovenian.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

pik_d posted:

South Carolina is, but North Carolina has a small area in Virginia added to it it looks like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunenburg_County,_Virginia

Wikipedia posted:

It is nicknamed "The Old Free State" as during the build up of the Civil War, it let Virginia know it would break off and join North Carolina if they did not join The Confederacy.

This is intriguing given that North Carolina joined the Confederacy after Virginia.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

The Monkey Man posted:

Kosovo is pretty clearly missing as well, or at least it's drawn hella wrong.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Gen. Ripper posted:

Kosovo is pretty clearly missing as well, or at least it's drawn hella wrong.

Nah, it's clearly there it's just drawn completely wrong like everything else on the map. Almost as if it were supposed to be a joke. . .

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

SaltyJesus posted:

Nah, it's clearly there it's just drawn completely wrong like everything else on the map. Almost as if it were supposed to be a joke. . .

Yeah, but now you are laughing at the joke, not with the joke.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Hey guys are we tired of Mercator projection mocking yet?

(Credit)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Darth Various posted:

(Credit)

Where's the control head?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Are those projections of a 2D image? How does that work?

E: I mean, I get it - they just used the latitude/longitude lines to mark the "veridical" shape of the head. In that case there is a possible "projection" that would be 100% correct (equirectangular) - but that doesn't say anything as to its cartographic utility, since obviously it would still have errors if applied to a globe.

In other words, this just shows the projection errors relative to the equirectangular projection. Way more interesting would be to do an actual projection of a 3D head.

Edit2: Actually, maybe that's not what they did- or Mercator wouldn't look so bad, I think.... I'm confused.

Also, I found the original source:
http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/624-this-is-your-brain-on-maps

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 7, 2014

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Darth Various posted:

(Credit)

Mercator looks like Stephen Fry.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Mercator works great for navigation, that is why it was developed. Nobody complains that the NYC subway map isn't perfectly to scale. It gets you from point a to point b.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dusseldorf posted:

That wasn't much of a battle but more of the Germans got spotted by a vastly superior force then hunted down and killed.

That was seriously the most anti-climactic thing that could have happened to von Spee. I was practically rooting for him after following his journey across the Pacific.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Are those projections of a 2D image? How does that work?

E: I mean, I get it - they just used the latitude/longitude lines to mark the "veridical" shape of the head. In that case there is a possible "projection" that would be 100% correct (equirectangular) - but that doesn't say anything as to its cartographic utility, since obviously it would still have errors if applied to a globe.

In other words, this just shows the projection errors relative to the equirectangular projection. Way more interesting would be to do an actual projection of a 3D head.

Edit2: Actually, maybe that's not what they did- or Mercator wouldn't look so bad, I think.... I'm confused.

Also, I found the original source:
http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/624-this-is-your-brain-on-maps

Sort of, they drew a head onto a globular projection and then transferred the latitude/longitude points to the other ones.

http://books.google.com/books?id=rY...epage&q&f=false

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Xandu posted:

Sort of, they drew a head onto a globular projection and then transferred the latitude/longitude points to the other ones.

http://books.google.com/books?id=rY...epage&q&f=false

Ah. So it shows projection errors relative to the globular projection. Though they do point out the arbitrariness of this.

I'm curious what Picasso-esque faces would result from actual 3D --> 2D projections of a head.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Ah. So it shows projection errors relative to the globular projection. Though they do point out the arbitrariness of this.

I'm curious what Picasso-esque faces would result from actual 3D --> 2D projections of a head.

The best example of those would be skins from 3d models in games. They're not that exciting, really.

edit: that's Breen from Half-Life 2, if you're wondering.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

The best example of those would be skins from 3d models in games. They're not that exciting, really.

That really looks like a picture of George Lucas, with his eyes a little closer.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
More horrifically, a picture of a naked George Lucas.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It was just pointed out to me that he kinda looks like Gabe Newell.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Textures from 3d models aren't applied with any kind of projection, though. The coordinates on the mesh are usually also paired with a texture coordinate, which usually means that the projection is non-uniform.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

abunchofmoviesyou'veneverheardof.jpg

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's actually the name of the Belgian movie. An address. I'd never even heard of it before, certainly sounds like the artsy type of movie that would get a high score.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Darth Various posted:

abunchofmoviesyou'veneverheardof.jpg

You've never heard of The Sound of Music, Pan's Labyrinth, The Pianist, Trainspotting, A Clockwork Orange, Life is Beautiful, etc.?

Edit: Yeah, and Amelie

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 8, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LimburgLimbo posted:

You've never heard of The Sound of Music, Pan's Labyrinth, The Pianist, Trainspotting, A Clockwork Orange, Life is Beautiful, etc.?

You listed about 6 of 43.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

LimburgLimbo posted:

I think Amelie is not too obscure abroad as well?

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

computer parts posted:

You listed about 6 of 43.

And I know about Amelie too! Sure never heard of the Norwegian, Finnish or Danish ones before, though.
The Seventh Seal is well-known here in Sweden, dunno about abroad.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

^^^
Seventh Seal is pretty well known in the states I think, probably the only Bergman anyone would know.

Phlegmish posted:

That's actually the name of the Belgian movie. An address. I'd never even heard of it before, certainly sounds like the artsy type of movie that would get a high score.

Yeah it's just some lady doing boring stuff.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I looked it up, it's about a middle-aged prostitute living in decaying 1970's Brussels. Sounds very existentialist, bet it's in black and white too.

e: Okay I was wrong. Looks riveting, though:

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 8, 2014

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Darth Various posted:

And I know about Amelie too! Sure never heard of the Norwegian, Finnish or Danish ones before, though.
The Seventh Seal is well-known here in Sweden, dunno about abroad.

The Seventh Seal is definitely a big deal

Once was made fairly recently (but I forgot about it until I saw the map) and How Green Was My Valley (How Beige Was My Jacket) was kind of a big deal when it came out

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Also the map is bullshit, because Stargate SG-1: Unleashed should be over Andorra :colbert:

Edit: Wait I guess its a video game haha

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

I looked it up, it's about a middle-aged prostitute living in decaying 1970's Brussels. Sounds very existentialist, bet it's in black and white too.

It's in glorious color!

Edit:

A map of the hollywood/silverlake area with movie names shoved randomly all over.

I like the random placement of sunset blvd, and AIRPORT just hanging out past the 2.

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 8, 2014