Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.
$2500? It wouldn't even be irresponsible, really. Go check that out.

televiper fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/4261457660.html

Sweet donkmaro for sale.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I have always had some weird fascination with a tiny old air cooled Porsche for a project. For $2500 it makes me want to be irresponsible.

You should really take a look. As long as its not rusted to poo poo, do it. The engine is just any other VW air cooled flat 4, and its about the simplest car you can buy. About the most mechanically simple Porsche made as well.

Even small bits of rust is still worth fixing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Depending on how that was put together (it isn't a stock vehicle, that's someone's chop/splice job and might have some hidden sins or might be perfect) that's well worth it if you are looking for a quad cab J truck. If it's badly done, run the gently caress away, then buy a grand wagoneer and a J truck and splice em together yourself. And post a drat thread about it because that's awesome.

e: here's the seller http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/jeep-j10-quad-cab-sale-1409131/

kastein fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 29, 2013

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I have always had some weird fascination with a tiny old air cooled Porsche for a project. For $2500 it makes me want to be irresponsible. Description and pics:
That's a Volkswagen, not a Porsche :colbert:

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

nitrogen posted:

I am the dumbest motherfucker on the planet.

Oh god, someone talk me out of this. Even if it needs a completely new transmission...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/4258859515.html

I need this in my life, but knowing me I'll never get around to finding a transmission for it. I wonder what I'd have to put into it to make it worth owning.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
This is the best car ad on Craigslist I've ever seen, it's sincere and thorough in a way that I've never seen before. 24 pictures!

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4236553451.html

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 30, 2013

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.
If you are trying to hide his phone number, you missed one.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

delpheye posted:

I need this in my life, but knowing me I'll never get around to finding a transmission for it. I wonder what I'd have to put into it to make it worth owning.

Just a standard 4L60e. Pretty common transmission. Its the bitch of getting it in is the problem.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

This is down to $2k now.

:cmon:

The CL link is down, does anyone have the original pictures and description?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
My co worker is selling a pickup on Craigslist and asked if a seller was legitimate who wanted to send him paypal for it.

I asked him if he was comfortable with losing 14k.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I had a guy ask if he could pay for a $500 MG with Paypal from his phone. In person.

...how about we just go visit an ATM?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Will you accept Bitcoins?

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

StormDrain posted:

My co worker is selling a pickup on Craigslist and asked if a seller was legitimate who wanted to send him paypal for it.

I asked him if he was comfortable with losing 14k.

Edit: I wrote a post saying pay-pal is pretty secure, fees aside. But then I realized there are still people dumb enough to fall for the whole "plus some for shipping" scam.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 31, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Even assuming the buyer is legit (a stretch), is there any upside to using paypal?

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

slidebite posted:

Even assuming the buyer is legit (a stretch), is there any upside to using paypal?

Eh, fees aside? There are people that are really scared about carrying even tiny amounts of cash. When I sold my wifes corolla, the lady was super terrified of bringing me $1,500. It almost derailed the sale, I had to wait two days until she could get her son and husband to both come with her.
Whooaa, there high roller, better watch out for those stage coach robbers.

Also, in some instances it is the fastest way to transfer money with no risk to the seller. When the local Uhaul franchise was selling their box trucks, they wanted either cash or paypal. Since it was Sunday, paypal was my only option and they ate the fees.

Finally, tax avoidance. There are a lot of people that have side businesses (ebay, etsy stores) that have fat paypal accounts that would very much not want to deposit it into a bank.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Or if they're funding it via their credit card and they convince the seller to eat the fees... sweet sweet rewards points.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
gently caress paypal, they are a passel of retards and act like they're above banking law. Also, I have been hosed by them as a buyer and a friend got hosed hard by them as a seller and I refuse to deal with them unless absolutely necessary on principle.

I don't use paypal unless I am sending or receiving money from someone I know, as a gift, and don't expect to ever undo the transaction.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

eddiewalker posted:

I had a guy ask if he could pay for a $500 MG with Paypal from his phone. In person.

...how about we just go visit an ATM?

Last cars I sold both went through as Interac e-transfers but I trusted both guys. Maybe it's more of a Canadian thing.

Paypal are total idiots though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Paypal almost always sides with the buyer if there is a dispute. The fact that sellers get hosed hard is one of the reasons Bitcoin exists at all: the "no chargebacks" aspect of Bitcoin is attractive to people who have been hosed repeatedly by Paypal.

The problem is that a buyer can assert they didn't get what they paid for, or that it arrived broken, or whatever, and then Paypal immediately freezes the seller's account, extracting money from attached bank/credit card accounts to cover the amount of the transaction if necessary, and then puts 100% of the burden of proof on the seller to prove the buyer is wrong. That's often basically impossible.

Paypal is fine for buying something for $50 or whatever, but it's far too risky for a multi-thousand-dollar transaction of any kind. If the buyer or seller is nervous about handling a lot of cash, perform the transaction at the teller window in a bank.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Paypal is fine for buying something for $50 or whatever, but it's far too risky for a multi-thousand-dollar transaction of any kind. If the buyer or seller is nervous about handling a lot of cash, perform the transaction at the teller window in a bank.

This is my opinion as well. If I'm not willing to have whatever money I put through it disappear never to be seen again then I won't use it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Or if they're funding it via their credit card and they convince the seller to eat the fees... sweet sweet rewards points.

I would have bought my TDI on my Amex if the dealer would have let me. They said no due to the fees. :(

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

SFBA Craigslist posted:

Classic Saab Monte Carlo (redwood city):

FREE TO GOOD HOME! I know there is someone out there who is looking for this classic 1964 Saab Monte Carlo. Not able to suppply photos but I guarantee the car is all there...in fact there are two, both two strokes. Easy to make a good runner or vintage racer from one with plenty of spares to keep it going. While possible to piece together a motor from the parts I have I also have a NOS complete crate motor still in its shipping box as well as other NOS suspension and exhaust parts (though these are on a "make offer" basis). One car is on the Peninsula and the other garaged in the Sierra foothills but will deliver for fuel costs. Both cars have clear CA title.

I really need to get a truck.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

West SAAB Story posted:

I really need to get a truck.

He'll deliver, where do you live?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Pham Nuwen posted:

He'll deliver, where do you live?

About 5 hours drive East. :v:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

delpheye posted:

It was pretty trashed.

My mini cooper is getting a bit long in the tooth, so i'm looking for either a cheap commuter/beater and a nice FUN car (A later model c4 corvette or something) or the opposite: A decent normal car and a fun project car. This might have almost worked for the latter.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

"Rust proofed"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

"Rust proofed"

You jerk! Don't you post what I'm gonna buy!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Rhyno, in the New Years Resolution thread posted:

1. See how long I can go without buying a car this year.
2. Buy another car.

Rhyno posted:

:v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Well I posted it on FB and forgot to link it here.

I might have made an offer on it.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

Well I posted it on FB and forgot to link it here.

I might have made an offer on it.

Not a Gremlin with a sweet sweet Kammback, don't buy.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/4225854852.html

Good god that looks like a nice clean 208Z. :stare:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Rhyno posted:

You can pull that 304 out and stuff a 401 in, IIRC without even changing motor mounts.

No balls.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That Z is clean for sure but I think you can get a clean 280zx turbo for that much and it would be a much more enjoyable car with the same body style.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kastein posted:

You can pull that 304 out and stuff a 401 in, IIRC without even changing motor mounts.

No balls.

I just sent the link to my dad, he remembers entering that contest back in the day.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

rscott posted:

That Z is clean for sure but I think you can get a clean 280zx turbo for that much and it would be a much more enjoyable car with the same body style.

280zx's were from an entirely different generation with much less appeal than the original chassis.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I want to dump a VQ35DET into that thing. :getin:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'd buy it just for the mechanical fuel injection pandora's box under the bonnet.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

280zx's were from an entirely different generation with much less appeal than the original chassis.

That, and if you want a turbo in line 6 Z you are far better off doing it yourself. The factory turbo setup is dated at best and the implementation of L-jet and electronic ignition are both awful. A Megasquirt with spark is going to be so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Not 'gold' per say, but is this a good deal?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/ctd/4261167545.html

I have the day off and will probably go take a look at it, anything in particular I should inspect it for?