Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I thought it was a good idea if you were the clear #1, because its just less of an opportunity for you to gently caress up. That said, McCarron is no where near the clear or even muddy #1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think there's enough tape on McCarron that he doesn't need the Senior Bowl, I mean all eyes have been on Alabama the whole time he was there. He's a QB who has received national attention and spotlight for years. The scouts should know everything about him by now.

Geno Smith had a lot of bad tape and finished his career at WVU with a stretch of very poor football; his refusal was more perplexing to me. We just need to accept that last year's QBs were exactly what the scouts had been saying they were for months... not good enough.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 1, 2014

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Connor Shaw has been invited to the combine. Good for him.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

RumbleFish posted:

Connor Shaw has been invited to the combine. Good for him.

I thought he showed good mobility today and a nice touch on his throws. I know he has made some dumb decisions before, but this game he was pretty good. Only 6'1" and a shade over 200 lbs so that is probably a big knock. Still, if the guy has a good Senior Bowl and a decent combine could end up as a Day 2 selection.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Benne posted:

...who fell to the 2nd round while E.J. Manuel performed well and was the first QB drafted.

This is not a good decision by any means.

I don't think McCarron has anything to show there that he couldn't show at the combine. Manuel, on the other hand, hand a good senior bowl in addition to testing well at the combine which helped him overcome the bizarre lack of credit he got for his time at FSU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Benne posted:

A.J. McCarron is skipping the Senior Bowl :psyduck:

Unless he's injured, then that seems like a bad idea. For his sake, I hope he knows what he's doing.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Aniki posted:

Unless he's injured, then that seems like a bad idea. For his sake, I hope he knows what he's doing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Shaw is probably a 3rd day pick at best, he really doesn't have the size and has had a pretty rough injury history at South Carolina. He'll at least get a chance to secure a cushy backup job in the NFL.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Is he saying God is MVP

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Oi vey.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The thing about AJ McCarron is that he was viewed (rightly or not) as a game manager. Right or wrong, the guy has that label affixed to him and the only way to get it off is to have an awesome Sugar Bowl (which means Bama has to get away from their run first ball control offense) or have an awesome Senior Bowl. The combine is ok, but its not hard to have a great workout or pro-day when it isn't true competition.

I understand not wanting to play in the Senior Bowl, you are basically being thrown in with a bunch of people and a random coach who may run a completely different system and you have like a week to develop chemistry with receivers, running backs, etc. Despite that, I think unless he feels like he is going to poo poo the bed, the Senior Bowl would be a good thing for McCarron if only to try and shake the "game manager" tag.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

swickles posted:

The thing about AJ McCarron is that he was viewed (rightly or not) as a game manager. Right or wrong, the guy has that label affixed to him and the only way to get it off is to have an awesome Sugar Bowl (which means Bama has to get away from their run first ball control offense) or have an awesome Senior Bowl. The combine is ok, but its not hard to have a great workout or pro-day when it isn't true competition.

I understand not wanting to play in the Senior Bowl, you are basically being thrown in with a bunch of people and a random coach who may run a completely different system and you have like a week to develop chemistry with receivers, running backs, etc. Despite that, I think unless he feels like he is going to poo poo the bed, the Senior Bowl would be a good thing for McCarron if only to try and shake the "game manager" tag.

He actually threw a lot this year and was good even if he wasn't Winston or Manziel. He's got a decent arm, he's not a statue, and he could be an okay west coast guy. I'd say he's maybe the fourth best QB in the SEC as far as pro prospects go

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

I didn't think I'd see a worse college QB tattoo than Bray's anytime soon but there it is

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Rasczak posted:

I didn't think I'd see a worse college QB tattoo than Bray's anytime soon but there it is

You know, I never looked at it closely until now, but it does have his name in there, McCarron at the bottom. Also, Bama Boy at top, Home Team on the left, and God in Control on the right framed around MVI (?). Can anyone make out the writing on the shield in the center?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Maybe it's just that in a crowded QB market I don't think any kind of positive performance at the Senior Bowl would have changed the fact that he's in the second tier of guys anyway... the top QBs are underclassmen to begin with, and I don't know what I would see from McCarron in the game and what scouts would see in the practices that would change my mind on that.

Besides, the Cleveland Browns coaching staff might be participating in this year's Senior Bowl and who wants to be a part of that mess.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 2, 2014

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

swickles posted:

Can anyone make out the writing on the shield in the center?

'Ma Pops'

Yeah, seriously

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I understand he got hurt, but was Aaron Murray good?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Gatts posted:

I understand he got hurt, but was Aaron Murray good?

Yeah, he was pretty good. Hard to tell now but as high as round 2, but most likely 3-4.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

swickles posted:

You know, I never looked at it closely until now, but it does have his name in there, McCarron at the bottom. Also, Bama Boy at top, Home Team on the left, and God in Control on the right framed around MVI (?). Can anyone make out the writing on the shield in the center?

It's not MVI it's MVP

Oh poo poo there's a dove in the corner

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Watching the Rose Bowl right now. Stanford OG David Yankey is officially on my Seahawks wish list.

B.F. Hoodrich
May 16, 2006
welp

Mods please change one of the Alabama posters' name to BAMA BOY tia

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

I wonder how long his mother cried when she first saw that thing

"But ma it's got 'Ma' right there on it!"

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

Maybe it's just that in a crowded QB market I don't think any kind of positive performance at the Senior Bowl would have changed the fact that he's in the second tier of guys anyway... the top QBs are underclassmen to begin with, and I don't know what I would see from McCarron in the game and what scouts would see in the practices that would change my mind on that.

Besides, the Cleveland Browns coaching staff might be participating in this year's Senior Bowl and who wants to be a part of that mess.

Maybe he coulda played into the 2nd or 3rd round? I see him as a 4th maybe 5th round guy now...

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
I had a dream last night and during part of it I saw on TV that JFF had decided to stay for one more year at A&M. So I guess everybody can take him off their boards.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Arschlochkind posted:

I had a dream last night and during part of it I saw on TV that JFF had decided to stay for one more year at A&M. So I guess everybody can take him off their boards.

Are you the guy that dreamed the Dolphins walk off safety the night before it happened? If not than I am going with Johnny Football in the draft.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

swickles posted:

Are you the guy that dreamed the Dolphins walk off safety the night before it happened? If not than I am going with Johnny Football in the draft.

That wasn't me, I just want to have proof in case it's true that my mutant powers have awakened.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
McCarron is skipping because he's either injured or worried about his performance. I don't blame him either way. Skipping the senior bowl isn't as big of deal as you're all making it out to be. Regardless, McCarron isn't a top 50 prospect anyway.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I having a lot of trouble finding film on Jordan Matthews. I'm assuming this is because he goes to a small school and doesn't have a draft ready Qb throwing the ball to him but if anyone knows of a good place to find his film let me know.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Draftbreakdown has videos on just about everybody, more specifically they have 8 for Jordan Matthews, although only 2 from this year: http://draftbreakdown.com/players/jordan-matthews/

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Thanks. I had seen that before though. It just seems odd to me that they just stopped coming. Maybe they'll show up as the drafts grows nearer.

Are there any teams that might conceivably want to move up into the middle of the first? It seems unlikely to me because of the likely high cost for limited value.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Baylor's offense looks like poo poo

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Quest For Glory II posted:

Well, maybe the coaching staff they hire to send over there will be a competent, capable group who will help grow and build great things in clevehahahahahahaha :negative:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

swickles posted:

Senior bowl can be really hit and miss. You never know he could be doing the smart thing and going somewhere like IMG to work his craft like a few others have done which benefit them more than going to the senior bowl. I think most guys should be going unless they're top flight guys, but I can't really blame him for skipping it, unless he's just going to sit around, then it's definitely a huge mistake.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So what do the Browns need, again? Besides competent management? QB, RB, WR, and...?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Gatts posted:

So what do the Browns need, again? Besides competent management? QB, RB, WR, and...?

DB help I think and if you guys insist on sticking with the 3-4 you'll probably want a DE

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's only halftime so far, but Bortles isn't playing that well against Baylor.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kirios posted:

First INT was bad luck, second one was a bad throw. Other than those he's looked as good as Petty I suppose. Both defenses are playing very well despite the score.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Kirios posted:

To be fair there is something funky with the field and it really seems to be affecting receivers routes. Instead of water they must have just sprayed astroglide everywhere.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I don't really think that highly of Petty as a prospect, so I fully expect Bortles to outplay him. The field isn't ideal but Bortles, while he has made some excellent throws, has also made some very boneheaded decisions.

I already experienced that with Case Keenum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Gatts posted:

Realistically:

QB
RB
WR2
C (If Mack leaves)
RG
RT
MLB2
CB2

maybe another DE, but I think we're pretty alright there

• Locked thread