Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Jeffrey posted:

It's not really the system since they aren't prescriptions and none of the doctors or vendors are the same as the doctors or vendors who do anything else. Also you probably shouldn't argue against lovely strawmans like that when his opinion is probably more like "the process for how we determine whether a drug is prescription or not is hosed up and its possible to subvert it in the cases where its wrong without undermining it in the cases where its right."

This isn't even about the FDA's normal process for determining whether a drug should require a prescription. This is about politicians deciding that placating conservative shitheads is way more important than letting the FDA do its job properly. If anyone is abusing the system, it's them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
The lines at every shop are around the block at least. Everyone's out buying weed today.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Vitamin J posted:

The lines at every shop are around the block at least. Everyone's out buying weed today.

God Bless us, Everyone!

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

It was quite novel to go to the weed store, but the the one I went to will have a hard time replacing black market with the insane mark ups on their skimpy bags.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The French Army! posted:

It was quite novel to go to the weed store, but the the one I went to will have a hard time replacing black market with the insane mark ups on their skimpy bags.

This poo poo won't last, because like you said, they won't be able to compete with black market or smaller growers who don't price it that high. They're probably just price gouging because it's day 1.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I have no doubt it will get cheaper as more competition opens up. Several stores apparently raised prices to try and ensure stock. Doesn't seem like anyone is selling mids at retail yet either, which might have something to do with it.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Geez I'll bet these shops in ski towns will make money hand over fist.

Gotta think this increases tourism traffic to ski areas too, the resorts are big business in this state and I imagine they are quietly loving this.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Pryor on Fire posted:

Gotta think this increases tourism traffic to ski areas too, the resorts are big business in this state and I imagine they are quietly loving this.

Doesn't the Venn diagram between skiers/snowboarders and weed smokers nearly completely overlap?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

On that topic, here's a cross post from the Ski and Snowboard thread that's pretty amusing and ridiculous.

http://www.vaildaily.com/news/9485596-113/vail-pot-families-numerous

quote:

Dear Vail Resorts,

Let me explain to you why I will not be returning to this resort anytime in the near future and will indicate to other families on online forums that they should decline to come to Vail as well.

As you are aware, marijuana is now legal in Colorado. I have been visiting Vail and Beaver Creek for many years now with my family, and enjoyed all my years here with no real problems. We have a lot of memories here. Within the span of several days, my son and I were exposed to numerous conversations on buses, gondola rides and restaurants related to recreational drug use. The fact that people are restricted to smoking pot in the privacy of their room doesn’t mean that they won’t reek of pot on gondola rides, or that they won’t be talking about getting high with numerous other substances within earshot of numerous families. Within the span of two to three days, I had at least three to four separate occasions in public areas where I had to specifically ask people to not talk about their drug use. People were obviously put off by my asking them to stop, and I was furious to even be put in this situation.

I think the public debate on allowing pot to be sold is completely off. The people who live this type of lifestyle can’t afford to support resorts like Vail that frankly cater to a demographic more like my own, and candidly, you don’t get to be successful by engaging in this type of lifestyle. Why am I going to pay to come to a resort where my son is exposed to these sorts of things? I don’t want him skiing or going anywhere on his own — he is a teenager, and why should he be shaped by these types of conversations?

Not only this, but it’s a safety hazard. Do you think I want people speeding by me on the slopes who were high the evening before?

I really recommend you get this situation under control as quickly as possible because word will get out to families very quickly. At this point, I’m very much inclined to go to Utah for my vacations instead of Colorado. You can’t be a destination resort for high-earners and a pot-town at the same time — you have to choose.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

bawfuls posted:

On that topic, here's a cross post from the Ski and Snowboard thread that's pretty amusing and ridiculous.

"Not only this, but it’s a safety hazard." Haha this is great. I bet this guy ain't upset about any of the bars in Vail.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Doesn't the Venn diagram between skiers/snowboarders and weed smokers nearly completely overlap?

Pretty much, yeah.

Also lol @ that article. "The people who live this type of lifestyle can’t afford to support resorts like Vail"...except apparently they can, by virtue of the fact that they're there in the first place. This guy's got his nose so far in the air he could use it as a snorkel.

The Maroon Hawk fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 2, 2014

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

bawfuls posted:

lol at being high "the evening before."

man, do I have some bad news for them.

TheRamblingSoul posted:

snowboarders especially, as they are more likely to be bros or lady bros

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 2, 2014

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

lol at being high "the evening before."

man, do I have some bad news for them them.
That was my favorite part. This person has no clue how many people are high all around her on the hill.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

bawfuls posted:

Hi, I'm from New York. I'd rather young black men keep going to jail than for my son to overhear people talking about a plant and what they intend to do with it.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Install Windows posted:

Does the ban on smoking establishments in the law as passed ban all consumption or just smoking specifically?
Both? Colorado Clean Indoor Air Act (now) includes marijuana smoke in its bans, which would include any marijuana establishment. The regulations passed by the CO Department of Revenue's Marijuana Enforcement Division expressly prohibit all types of consumption on any licensed premises.

WampaLord posted:

Is "welcome to the bar, enjoy our fine selection of edibles" in our future, perhaps?
not unless the law changes dramatically

Powercrazy posted:

I don't think anyone disagrees with that, but as it is, you can't even have dedicated smoking places. As in a place with the explicit purpose of hanging out with friends and smoking in a public place.
baby steps! once consumption becomes less stigmatized as something only for "potheads," there might be some movement. however, I think the state is doing what it can to prevent "cafe culture" here for the time being so the DEA is less likely to come down on everyone's head.

Powercrazy posted:

This is so repulsive. Not you, but the culture surrounding medical marijuana. It's obviously a sham, and yet it's allowed to go on undermining the entire purpose of prescription drugs (which if you think is stupid anyway, fine, but if you find some value in in the current OTC vs Prescription drugs dynamic, you shouldn't be a supporter of medical marijuana.)
it's an unpopular opinion around here, but I agree. the whole "medical" industry is an embarrassing farce. however, it did work as intended insofar as it was a stepping stone to legalization here, so I'm not complaining as loudly now.

showbiz_liz posted:

Are hookah bars not strictly legal, or is there a legal exception of some kind for them?
Yes, there is an exemption for hookah and cigar bars under the CO Clean Indoor Air Act

Preem Palver posted:

Probably not. Looking at the text of A64, it prohibits marijuana consumption being "CONDUCTED OPENLY AND PUBLICLY OR IN A MANNER THAT ENDANGERS OTHERS." A bar explicitly selling edibles to be consumed on-site would probably fall under open consumption, and I doubt a bar/restaurant/coffee shop could get a retail marijuana store license in the first place. However, private establishments can regulate consumption (within the bounds set by A64) on their property; hypothetically you could grab a brownie on your way over and eat it at the bar if the owners don't mind. That would mostly depend upon Colorado and the individual locality's definition for public and private spaces though(ie does Colorado consider a private establishment open to the public a private or public space?). I suspect that any use of packaged, licensed marijuana products will be considered open consumption. TenementFunster, being both an actual lawyer and a resident of Colorado, will probably have a definitive answer.

On an unrelated matter, I'm applying to a graduate program at CSU-Ft. Collins. If I end up going there, will Garden City be the closest place to buy retail marijuana? I didn't see anywhere else that was closer, at least based off of Google maps and the article posted earlier.
as for "conducted openly," the denver city counsel wisely did an about-face by rejecting a proposed ordnance that would have penalized smoking on front porches, backyards, or any other private property "in view of the public." Denver's public marijuana consumption ban includes any "public" area, which is defined under the newly proposed ordnance, which is basically any place open to the public

p.s. i know about this crap less because I have a JD and more that I had to read all the loving regs in depth for work. check em out if you need something to read on the can!

also, according to the latest info I can find, Fort Collins voted to allow retail sales but placed a moratorium on them until March. by the time you're up here, there should be retail establishments in the city.

bawfuls posted:

That was my favorite part. This person has no clue how many people are high all around her on the hill.
or four bloody marys in. but I guess that doesn't concern her?

edit: as an antidote on public consumption, I was out for New Year's last night and saw a lot of people with electronic cigarettes of all types, many i figured were not exactly nicotine. now that retail weed "juice" for these things will be widely available for retail purchase, I have a feeling this will be a popular public consumption method. a lot of music venues prohibit marijuana and smoking of any kind (not that it seemed to stop the crowd last night), going so far as to prohibit non-factory sealed packs of cigarettes. however, these places also allow the slim types of e-cigs, but ban the larger cigar style models (as they probably got hip to the fact that few contain nicotine). as weed e-cigs and nicotine e-cigs look identical, I presume venues will either have to ban all e-cigs, or there will be a lot of people puffing away semi-stealthily. with such consumption methods now available, you'd have to be something of a dumbfuck to get popped with a public consumption ticket, as no cop is gonna do a street THC test on the "juice" for everyone walking down the 16th Street Mall sucking on an e-cig.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 2, 2014

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
in celebration of my effortpost, here are a bunch of happy people waiting in the snow outside of lodo wellness!

forgive the intentional blur. I didn't feel right taking a picture of a bunch of people in line to buy weed.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

TenementFunster posted:

in celebration of my effortpost, here are a bunch of happy people waiting in the snow outside of lodo wellness!

forgive the intentional blur. I didn't feel right taking a picture of a bunch of people in line to buy weed.

Man, I wonder if new legal stores are going to stick with the green cross symbol now that it's no longer necessarily 'medical'. It's already causing confusion for people I know who travel to Europe and then get really weirded out when they think most cities have a dispensary every few blocks.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Some of the big names in drug policy have had their predictions quoted in the Seattle Times: http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2022570943_pot2014xml.html

This one struck me as the most bizarre:

quote:

Caulkins expects impaired driving to become a bigger issue, particularly after initial 2013 reports from the Washington State Patrol showed a 50 percent increase in the number of drivers testing positive for pot.

Legalization critic Kevin Sabet of Project SAM (Smart Approaches to Marijuana) predicts little reduction in black-market violence, more negative incidents involving youth and pot, and an increase in DUI cases. Sabet said voters will start to realize legalization “may not be what they bargained for.”

Would someone tell me why these guys think that everyone who has hitherto obeyed the anti-cannabis laws (and abstained) will suddenly decide to go out and break the DUI laws now that cannabis has been (re)legalised? In other words, why would law abiding people suddenly decide to become scoff-laws?

Edit: also bizarre -

quote:

Concentrated forms of marijuana, such as butane hash oil, will come to dominate the market over herbal buds and flowers, Kleiman predicted.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 2, 2014

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

KingEup posted:

Some of the big names in drug policy have had their predictions quoted in the Seattle Times: http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2022570943_pot2014xml.html

This one struck me as the most bizarre:

Would some tell me why these guys think that everyone who has hitherto obeyed the anti-cannabis laws (and abstained) will suddenly decide to go out and break the DUI laws now that cannabis has been (re)legalised?
the big question is how often the police tested drivers in 2013 compared to before. could it be that they simply did 50% more tests? I honestly never even heard of the THC swab test until Amendment 64 was proposed, and Colorado didn't even have a maximum THC limit for impaired driving before 2013.

here is a picture a friend just showed me of the line outside of Citi-Med, conveniently located next to the first Chipolte location across the street from the University of Denver:

am i... in trouble?

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 2, 2014

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

the big question is how often the police tested drivers in 2013 compared to before. could it be that they simply did 50% more tests? I honestly never even heard of the THC swab test until Amendment 64 was proposed, and Colorado didn't even have a maximum THC limit for impaired driving before 2013.

Do you know much about about the swab tests, because it's news to me right now. Could you tell us what you know please? Are these like the urine samples where they pick up any usage in the past couple of weeks, or are they capable of indicating current THC levels? I'm interested about the mechanics of how they're going to enforce driving impairment or public intoxication, as the few things I've head about it are likely misinformation anyway.

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 2, 2014

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

The way prohibitionists talk I fully expect that these people will be shot to death by heavily armed members of a Mexican drug cartel in 5... 4... 3... 2...

Edit: Oh, riiiiiiight. Sorry, I forgot: that only happens in places were cannabis is prohibited.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 2, 2014

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Octatonic posted:

Do you know much about about the swab tests, because it's news to me right now. Could you tell us what you know please? Are these like the urine samples where they pick up any usage in the past couple of weeks, or are they capable of indicating current THC levels? I'm interested about the mechanics of how they're going to enforce driving impairment or public intoxication, and the few things I've head about it are likely misinformation anyway.
that's the thing: these laws and limits are so new and the body of evidence available isn't sufficient to really give law enforcers a solid idea on what is or isn't impaired driving. it's mostly hearsay right now and little to no good information is available. however, it appears that the maximum legal level (five nanograms per milliliter) is totally arbitrary and was reached without any scientific consensus. the swap test is intended to determine current intoxication, but unfortunately it seems that the swap test currently used can pick up residual amounts of THC in the blood. I've read that a heavy smoker could exceed the limit even if he or she hasn't smoked in hours or even days.

I haven't heard much about how the law will be enforced as not much information has trickled out. I fear it might be up to individual officer discretion at least for a few months until departments release guidelines as to how they will enforce what seems to be a bad law. I suspect there will be a some high level court cases challenging the law and the limit from people claiming to be sober who ding the naughty meter after getting pulled over by Officer Friendly for a line bobble.

unsurprisingly, you can find a LOT of op-eds from attorneys and even a few cops online complaining how this law is unworkable/stupid/just bad.

in conclusion: poo poo is hosed and we're all screwed.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Sweet. Glad to know that your important informed opinion lines up more or less with my unimportant uninformed opinion. I'm sure there will be quite a few growing pains, backdoor medical legalization didn't seem extraordinarily painful from a lay perspective, but it was a lot less involved regulation and enforcement-wise. Hopefully we continue to send fewer people to jail for cannabis at least.

Thanks for the info on the tests too. All I could find from a cursory glance on the internet was "bro how do i beat the swab bro" "just like wash your mouth out with mouthwash and poo poo" and such, not anyone actually telling me what it was.

The frustrating thing with Colorado law and politics in my opinion is that it's so hard to get things done that involve money without changing the state constitution, but we don't need to rehash the TABOR griping again. Hopefully the legislature will be nimble amending poo poo as necessary :downs:

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
There was a big divide between MMJ and "retail" weed as they were calling it in the shop I went to. There was a more limited selection for retail and you needed a medical card to buy some of the waxes and edibles. I'm not sure if this is to keep inventory for MMJ customers or a legal thing. Prices were about double or more from street prices, and they weren't selling any swag. It was all top shelf stuff. They said prices will eventually come down, I suspect it'll be about the same time as people aren't queuing up for hours. Waited for 3 hours in line but at least I got a free t-shirt. This shop had the shortest line of about 4 others we had driven by. Should have bargained on getting there sooner. There were a ton of out-of-state people who had driven hours just to be in Denver on January 1st. Lots of people who didn't look anything at all like a stoner stereotype who were excited to try weed for the very first time too. Also a schoolteacher lol.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Vitamin J posted:

There was a big divide between MMJ and "retail" weed as they were calling it in the shop I went to. There was a more limited selection for retail and you needed a medical card to buy some of the waxes and edibles. I'm not sure if this is to keep inventory for MMJ customers or a legal thing. Prices were about double or more from street prices, and they weren't selling any swag. It was all top shelf stuff. They said prices will eventually come down, I suspect it'll be about the same time as people aren't queuing up for hours. Waited for 3 hours in line but at least I got a free t-shirt. This shop had the shortest line of about 4 others we had driven by. Should have bargained on getting there sooner. There were a ton of out-of-state people who had driven hours just to be in Denver on January 1st. Lots of people who didn't look anything at all like a stoner stereotype who were excited to try weed for the very first time too. Also a schoolteacher lol.
this is because to be "retail" weed, retail businesses have the one-time opportunity to designate some of their then-existing medical inventory as "retail" so there would be supply available on Jan 1. the first seed/clone to jar retail marijuana in Colorado was planted today and obviously wont be ready for sale for some time.

the reason there were fewer extractions available is because there is a separate license for making products as opposed to simple cultivation, so that will take some time for business to get setup and running as they could not make new retail extractions until today. and from a business standpoint, why bother going to the trouble to make oil or wax or whatever the kids are smoking nowadays for sale on Jan 1 when you are selling all the plant matter you have in stock at top dollar already? it will probably take a few months for things to normalize as far as price, supply, and demand.

if the price disparity between retail and MMJ stays out of whack for long enough, I suspect the main effect of A64 will be encouraging a lot of people to suddenly develop glaucoma, leaving only out of state tourists and infrequent users buying retail stuff.

Oh No My Equity
Aug 11, 2013
So did anything at all happen in WA today?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Oh No My Equity posted:

Nope, the first licensed stores probably won't open until May at the very earliest from what I've read.

Ducktales Blogger
Nov 2, 2013

by angerbeet

Oh No My Equity posted:

I made scrambled eggs and venison sausage for breakfast and now we are watching NCIS

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Pryor on Fire posted:

This is my spot! Please note the absolutely awesome tea shop downstairs: I recommend the Bangkok green tea!

I was working last night and had to work again today early so I didn't have the 45 minutes to wait in line like the guys there said it would take. I will try and go tomorrow before work, though.

For the record: the mountains have collapsed, dogs and cats are living together, people are being smote en masse, God and country are pissed. This is the end of days, folks!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TenementFunster posted:

Even better the Tattered Cover is right across the street, so maybe after weed time you can actually enjoy the alien abduction and new age medicine book section.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

19 o'clock posted:

For the record: the mountains have collapsed, dogs and cats are living together, people are being smote en masse, God and country are pissed. This is the end of days, folks!

FINALLY. :getin:

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Republicans posted:

Nope, the first licensed stores probably won't open until May at the very earliest from what I've read.

It sounds like some cities could be longer. Vancouver is still collecting input from residents. Not really sure how this factors into the licensing process though, i.e. can licenses for Vancouver be processed/issued/etc. prior to Vancouver giving it the OK? Growing and manufacturing will take place elsewhere so it's only the storefronts in Vancouver that may be missing.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

size1one posted:

It sounds like some cities could be longer. Vancouver is still collecting input from residents. Not really sure how this factors into the licensing process though, i.e. can licenses for Vancouver be processed/issued/etc. prior to Vancouver giving it the OK? Growing and manufacturing will take place elsewhere so it's only the storefronts in Vancouver that may be missing.

My understanding is that part of the state licensing process is to notify the city (or whatever authority) of the application and give them time to respond with a recommendation on approval, but I would expect that to be more for stuff like "this is a residential area they can't sell poo poo here" or "this location is just a mailbox". Based on the comments in this article, it sounds like they might be issuing licenses if a city has issued a ban or whatever, but it also sounds like they aren't quite sure yet.

You can view all the applications for permits here: http://liq.wa.gov/publications/Public_Records/2013-S-W-B-distributors_list/2013%20Marijuana/Marijuana%2012-31-13.xlsx and somebody on Twitter put together this map of the retail location applications: http://bit.ly/1dB2KNN.

A lot of those are going to be rejected because of basic location requirements (I don't know who decided to waste $250 to try and run a retail outlet out of their apartment), but as it stands there are 1312 applications for an initial 334 permits that will be issued.

tk fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 2, 2014

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
As pointed out above, Im wondering how long it's gonna take for Colorado to figure out whether and how much this has increased tourism and the influx of tax dollars to the state. I would love for significant verifiable increases to appear by summer and then Washington state pile on with even more. It might not take long for other states to see the benefit.

As for the cost factor, legal vs. black market; there are a hell of lot of people, especially out of state people, that are going to support the licensed shops, regardless of the price. I see Black Market weed in Washington and Colorado as a complete nonfactor to the success of this endeavor.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
I heard on the news last night that at one store the guy checking IDs said that at least half the IDs he checked were from out of state. There's a few stories on youtube about people who've traveled from out of state for various reasons from "just wanna get high" to "historic" to "MMJ isn't legal where I live."

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

tk posted:

My understanding is that part of the state licensing process is to notify the city (or whatever authority) of the application and give them time to respond with a recommendation on approval, but I would expect that to be more for stuff like "this is a residential area they can't sell poo poo here" or "this location is just a mailbox". Based on the comments in this article, it sounds like they might be issuing licenses if a city has issued a ban or whatever, but it also sounds like they aren't quite sure yet.

You can view all the applications for permits here: http://liq.wa.gov/publications/Public_Records/2013-S-W-B-distributors_list/2013%20Marijuana/Marijuana%2012-31-13.xlsx and somebody on Twitter put together this map of the retail location applications: http://bit.ly/1dB2KNN.

A lot of those are going to be rejected because of basic location requirements (I don't know who decided to waste $250 to try and run a retail outlet out of their apartment), but as it stands there are 1312 applications for an initial 334 permits that will be issued.

Interesting thanks.

Several of those are a 5-15 minute bicycle ride (I ride for fun, not because I don't have a car) on routes I ride regularly. You're right that the vast majority (in Vancouver at least) won't be approved because of proximity to parks and schools. One of those locations is in a neighborhood adjacent to a school. The promise of easy money has definitely drawn out a lot of people who haven't put much planning into it.

You can actually manufacture in an apartment but you need signed approval from your landlord. My wife was interested in making edibles out of our apartment but that rule makes it nearly impossible. No landlord will sign off on that when it makes them vulnerable to federal charges and property forfeiture. I'd wager even broaching the topic might get your lease terminated or a renewal denied.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TenementFunster posted:

the reason there were fewer extractions available is because there is a separate license for making products as opposed to simple cultivation, so that will take some time for business to get setup and running as they could not make new retail extractions until today. and from a business standpoint, why bother going to the trouble to make oil or wax or whatever the kids are smoking nowadays for sale on Jan 1 when you are selling all the plant matter you have in stock at top dollar already? it will probably take a few months for things to normalize as far as price, supply, and demand.

So question! Are the retail shops in Colorado to be supplied by licensed farming operations within the state; I'm assuming they are? Is this going to be all greenhouse grown or is some of it be open area farming? What is the optimal growing season for any grown open area? And finally, if open area farmed, what crops are farmers going to forego to plant weed instead? Is it something farmers can mix into normal crop rotations? drat this could be interesting from a agricultural standpoint.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

size1one posted:

Interesting thanks.

Several of those are a 5-15 minute bicycle ride (I ride for fun, not because I don't have a car) on routes I ride regularly. You're right that the vast majority (in Vancouver at least) won't be approved because of proximity to parks and schools. One of those locations is in a neighborhood adjacent to a school. The promise of easy money has definitely drawn out a lot of people who haven't put much planning into it.

You can actually manufacture in an apartment but you need signed approval from your landlord. My wife was interested in making edibles out of our apartment but that rule makes it nearly impossible. No landlord will sign off on that when it makes them vulnerable to federal charges and property forfeiture. I'd wager even broaching the topic might get your lease terminated or a renewal denied.

It could also be to preclude tenants from extract processing with flammable gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

The laws in Washington don't seem anywhere near as straightforward or clear as those here in Colorado. Does anyone even know which towns other than Seattle will have stores, and if you don't live within a decent distance from one you're poo poo out of luck I guess? The more I try and find info on the process in Washington the more confusion there seems to be.

• Locked thread