Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

sweet thursday posted:

Was it a Cherokee?

The vehicle I mean

lol that's some sweet thursday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Cam Newton: Worst NFL Draft pick ever

Some Moron in 2011 posted:

Let's ask Denver Broncos fans if they would like to trade Tebow for Newton straight up. They would laugh in your face. Football fans know even if the experts have no clue. We can spot a fraud when we see one.

In five years, when Tebow is leading Denver into the playoffs and Cam Newton is riding someone's bench, remember this article.

I know it's Bleacher Report and all but come on

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Oh yeah, that article is an oldie but goodie. I really hope he keeps that promise, though. Would love to see the sign!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
That's still not entirely out of the realm of possibility. I mean, season-ending injuries happen to QBs and Denver could pick up an Arena team in the next two years...

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

It warms my heart to see every comment on his user page ragging on him for this garbage article even though it was 2 years ago. According to his profile he has written 247 articles, and he is still getting poo poo on for this one.

As of a year ago he was still defending it

im Folsom posted 445 days agoJim Folsom
A list of guys the Panthers COULD have gotten instead of Cam:

Julio Jones, A.J. Green, J.J. Watt, Christian Ponder (what's Minnesota's record?), Patrick Peterson, Von Miller...

Do you think the Vikings would trade Ponder for Newton straight up? Hell no. None of the teams with any of those players would. He is about three to four more bad games away from being labeled a bust. And when that happens, you remember who told you so.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
It would be hilarious if dumb Panthers fans who think Newton is sooo terrible and that the team would be better off with Derek Anderson got their wish and Newton got traded to a complete team and immediately lit up the scoreboard and the stat sheet en route to a Super Bowl. I would laugh forever.

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass

Ribsauce posted:

It warms my heart to see every comment on his user page ragging on him for this garbage article even though it was 2 years ago. According to his profile he has written 247 articles, and he is still getting poo poo on for this one.

As of a year ago he was still defending it

im Folsom posted 445 days agoJim Folsom
A list of guys the Panthers COULD have gotten instead of Cam:

Julio Jones, A.J. Green, J.J. Watt, Christian Ponder (what's Minnesota's record?), Patrick Peterson, Von Miller...

Do you think the Vikings would trade Ponder for Newton straight up? Hell no. None of the teams with any of those players would. He is about three to four more bad games away from being labeled a bust. And when that happens, you remember who told you so.

I think I fractured something laughing so hard about Christian Ponder being included in that list.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Wasn't the only real alternative for the Panthers there Gabbert? Like no one actually thought they would take Miller or whatever, right?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Wasn't the only real alternative for the Panthers there Gabbert? Like no one actually thought they would take Miller or whatever, right?

There are some who say that the Panthers should have given up the 2011 season in the hopes of winning the "Suck for Luck" campaign.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Miller was a very, very highly regarded defensive prospect at the time of the draft. I absolutely think he was a viable alternative at first overall. Peterson and both receivers had a tone of hype too, although obviously it's highly unusual for guys at their respective positions to go at #1. Listing JJ Watt there is the disingenuous one to me, he was arguably a mild overdraft by Houston at the time and they obviously hit on the absolute best possible outcome unless his knees permanently disintegrate like, the moment after they give him a huge contract extension or something.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Serisothikos posted:

I think I fractured something laughing so hard about Christian Ponder being included in that list.

I was like "better hide this from Gendo or he might climb a clock tower"

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Patrick Peterson was mentioned, but it was pretty much Cam Newton no question from the start. I guess in an alternative world where he pulled a Sam Hurd before the draft (or *gasp* got a tattoo) they would have gone Peterson. One of my friends and I had like a 3 month argument leading up to the draft because he wanted Gabbert. He gives himself so much poo poo over this no one else even has to mention it.

Morby posted:

It would be hilarious if dumb Panthers fans who think Newton is sooo terrible and that the team would be better off with Derek Anderson got their wish and Newton got traded to a complete team and immediately lit up the scoreboard and the stat sheet en route to a Super Bowl. I would laugh forever.

"Tony Romo Syndrome"

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Ribsauce posted:

Patrick Peterson was mentioned, but it was pretty much Cam Newton no question from the start. I guess in an alternative world where he pulled a Sam Hurd before the draft (or *gasp* got a tattoo) they would have gone Peterson. One of my friends and I had like a 3 month argument leading up to the draft because he wanted Gabbert. He gives himself so much poo poo over this no one else even has to mention it.

It was most likely a QB (because Pickles was terrible) but it wasn't for sure Cam Newton until the combine where everyone was like "oh yeah that guy is basically football superman and all of his playing issues are entirely coachable and not that big of a deal considering that he's football superman" because I distinctly remember noise about Gabbert going first overall

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

It was most likely a QB (because Pickles was terrible) but it wasn't for sure Cam Newton until the combine where everyone was like "oh yeah that guy is basically football superman and all of his playing issues are entirely coachable and not that big of a deal considering that he's football superman" because I distinctly remember noise about Gabbert going first overall

Was this before or after the Gruden show where he couldn't call a West Coast style play or the "Disingenuous Smile" article? He was being predicted as Jamarcus Russell 2.0, flash in the pan, etc. until at least week 2 of 2011.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

@DanHep1 posted:

True character is when opportunity does not effect your loyalty. Goodbye Bill O'brien. You are not apart of We Are. #PennState

@xoxox_laurenn posted:

Wow what a trader. We don't need or want a man like that at Penn State #WEARE

@PunkaTess posted:

So wrong of #BillOBrien to leave his players at #PennState. They gave up Bowl games for you! Coward. Poor kids.

@buddywalters posted:

Bill O'Brien...new Texans head coach. I wish he would have committed more time to the PSU program instead of jumping ship so soon. #WeAre

@trilyns68 posted:

gently caress him

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

Let me preface this by saying that after reading several threads on a PSU board I feel like my username should end in several random numbers. What's up with that trend?

bartlettbear posted:

"Schiano will the the coach." It just makes to much sense.

Tigers93 posted:

I really think he is the right hire.

Omar81 posted:

I wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire, let alone congratulate him.

Truckster27 posted:

If true, hes a lair, plain and simple. This is not Alabama. Some of these kids gave up the chance to play a bowl game or a conference championship to play with him. Gave up the chance to go somewhere and play 4 years sanction free, without loss of eligibility.

I dont care Joyner is an ***. You dont then tell kids you are in for their college career. Especially since this team continuing on and not missing a heartbeat is very difficult. Again, we arent Alabama. A coaches word to recriuts is all we have right now, and hes effectively destroyed that with this move. Say its a business? Sure, you would be right. But he handled this just like the BOT handled the scandle. Without being forward, truthful, and honest with us, or his team, hes no better then the BOT.

I hope as he watches what becomes of the team next season and all those kids he was overseeing, allowing 2 coaches to leave in the fashion they did, from his Texas home, that the guilt doesnt keep him up at night. Of course if it doesnt, he just joins the ranks of all the other coaches that jumped and left a crater in their previois schools to mop up (kifflin, carrol, kelly, etc). Its exactly what he needs to be successful in the nfl. Of course in 3 years when he loses that chance he`ll be like other young flashes in the pan. Ask Josh McDaniels. He will be right back where he started before psu. Except he will have burned his college bridges, and have no where to go, moving too fast for his own good. IMO

That is, of course if its true...
Fight on State, Fight on!!

headcount posted:

I will enjoy rooting against you on Sundays, Bill.

Your true character comes out. Sell your soul to the highest bidder.

No statues for you.

psuarva posted:

How is it even possible to root for the Texans? They are never on TV ever, unless they are playing the team in the city where you currently live.

JoepaWhalePants posted:

I wish the worst for him and the Texans.

adlion944 posted:

If it wasn't for BOB? You assume another coach wouldn't have done the same job? Or better? What makes you think BOB is so special? You watch the Indiana and Minny games? I loved getting blown out by the little 10 schools. And the OSU game was the embarassment of the century.

I hope BOB fails miserably. And he will. Texans are awful.

mikee2 posted:

He better draft some Penn State players... That Texans roster better look like Penn State South... He at least owes us that much...

PSUJoe11 posted:

gently caress him. I hope the plane crashes on his way there

RWC5113 posted:

That's incredibly hosed up and in all honesty is worse than Todd loving Graham and Lane Kiffin. I can't have a shred of respect for a "man" like that no matter how frustrating our admins are to deal with. He's a piece of poo poo.

kod53ms posted:

I wish the Texans so much failure as long as he is there.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ha adlion944. That takes me back.

I once got into an argument with him about the color of raincoats that exploded into tirades with sailor-level profanity. To his credit, he did eventually send me a PM and apologized.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The last few years have made me progressively more ashamed to identify with the Penn State fanbase :smith:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I think it's really impressive how all of those people would turn down a promotion and a pay raise because of the loyalty they feel to their coworkers. Tremendous solidarity.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The last few years have made me progressively more ashamed to identify with the Penn State fanbase :smith:

Just a tip.

Its every fan base. Ever.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

Danica! posted:

Just a tip.

Not every fan base has members who have attempted to apologize for child rape.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

DupaDupa posted:

Not every fan base has members who have attempted to apologize for child rape.

To be fair, thats more lack of opportunity than anything

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

To be fair, thats more lack of opportunity than anything

Let's not try to justify that behavior.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Told.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Danica! posted:

Just a tip.

My fan base literally stabs itself in the parking lot of the rundown shitbox where we play*

*played

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

pillsburysoldier posted:

Upon rumors that RB Dalvin Cook will switch to FSU after committing to UF

Dulvin Cook preached about the importance of honesty and loyalty while he was trolling the you know what out of everyone associated with the University of Florida.
Why he enjoyed that as much as he did is a matter lost on right minded people but the boi is from the 3-0-5 and folks down there do think a little different .
I was just reading where Bobby Burton, who is more plugged in than any other media person on Texas, has said his gut feeling is Jimbo to Texas next week for at least 30 mil over 5.
Fsu really can't match that. Jimbo appears to be Texas number 1.
Now the beauty of all this is that Dulvin will start class at Fsu a day or two before Jimbo bolts. You see integrity and loyalty is about as important to Jimbo as it is to Dulvin.
So, within a week of starting class with clown state, Dulvin will not have a hbc and who knows what assts Jimbo takes with him.
By then, I expect that Penn State will have snapped up Franklin.
With Jimbo gone, up to 10 or more draft eligible jrs at fsu may opt for the draft.
Fsu will then opt for Bamas dc as their new hbc, big risk there as we know only too well.
Dr dreadlocks, aka lane, will be pleading on twitter for Uf to show him the love.
Dulvin may have a great career but his handling of his decision may bite him in the azz and if things play out this way he may be takin an azz whippin from the Gators a lot sooner than he expected...

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
http://www.chatsports.com/michigan-wolverines/a/Insider-John-Harbaugh-would-accept-Michigan-job-if-offered-10-2-4680

So apparently real human beings think this is a thing that could happen. I guess it isn't that surprising in the wake of " BOB will never leave Penn State" but it is still pretty impressive. I mean he just won a Super Bowl.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Arschlochkind posted:

True character is when opportunity does not effect your loyalty. Goodbye Bill O'brien. You are not apart of We Are. #PennState

This one's actually really nice if you take the misused words at face value.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

#trader is the best thing

My favorite grocery store is "guy named Joe who betrays people"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DeimosRising posted:

I think it's really impressive how all of those people would turn down a promotion and a pay raise because of the loyalty they feel to their coworkers. Tremendous solidarity.

That is literally how the western half of Pennsylvania thinks.

I think it goes back to the era of "the mill/the mine was good to me" so you defended then with one hand and loathed them for working you like a dog with the other. And that you never moved up to management because that made you a traitor and outcast.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sash! posted:

I think it goes back to the era of "the mill/the mine was good to me" so you defended then with one hand and loathed them for working you like a dog with the other. And that you never moved up to management because that made you a traitor and outcast.

I think its a little more simple

Penn Staters are loving cultists

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sash! posted:

I'm from WV and live in Pittsburgh, not at all sure that's a regionally unique thing though. Just a sort of general false consciousness/capitalist propaganda thing. Certainly loyalty to extractive industries in general is a real problem for the economy and environment of the whole region, but when one mine raises wages it doesn't stop anyone from trying to change ships, in my experience at least.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I love their "higher standard" for the single biggest moral test their hero faced in his life was the bare legal minimum. And they actually use that term in his defense! "He did what he was legally obligated to do,I mean sheesh what else could you expect?" Then in the next breathe they will wax poetic about how he held everyone in his program to the highest standard on Earth.

I am so glad I did not go to Penn State because I wonder if I would have gone full retard like their students and fans (not all of it, but it sure seems like it)

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ribsauce posted:

I am so glad I did not go to Penn State because I wonder if I would have gone full retard like their students and fans (not all of it, but it sure seems like it)

Half the student body doesn't give a poo poo about football.

It just happens that the half that does is a huge number of people.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

This is very true, the crazy Penn State fans are extremely embarrassing to me, but they are a subset of a subset. Raging idiots are loud on the internet--who knew?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Sash! posted:

Really that can be said for most colleges, I mean I doubt anyone really gives a poo poo about the Indiana of Pennsylvania Crimson Hawks, especially since that name is stupid, we could have been the IUP Hellbenders drat it, but no we can't have Hell in the team name. :sigh:

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Dantonio and Izzo are both consistently successful, they've been loyal to MSU, and they have similar popular perceptions for being ethical, hard-working, and distinctly Midwestern. It seems like a number of the same components that helped (a portion of) PSU's fans go full retard for Paterno are present at MSU. I think any fan for a program that has been or currently is successful can find similar reasons to be worried about their respective fanbases.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Anals of History posted:

Dantonio and Izzo are both consistently successful, they've been loyal to MSU, and they have similar popular perceptions for being ethical, hard-working, and distinctly Midwestern. It seems like a number of the same components that helped (a portion of) PSU's fans go full retard for Paterno are present at MSU. I think any fan for a program that has been or currently is successful can find similar reasons to be worried about their respective fanbases.

Does Pat Narduzzi have any child mentoring programs?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://www.change.org/petitions/coach-bill-o-brien-to-publicly-acknowledge-paterno-supporters-supported-him

quote:

Coach Bill O'Brien: To publicly acknowledge Paterno supporters supported him.

Petition by
Adam Clark
Charlotte, NC

A recent article by David Jones at Penn Live has lead to repeated media blame unfairly being put on Joe Paterno supporters for coach Bill O'Brien's departure from Penn State University's football program. There simply is no evidence that the majority of Joe Paterno supporters did not support Bill O'Brien as head football coach at Penn State and overwhelming evidence that in fact they did support Mr. O'Brien nearly unanimously. By signing this petition you attest that you are a Joe Paterno supporter or know of one who also supported Bill O'Brien during his tenure as head football coach at Penn State and by signing dispute the recent media claims that Mr. Obrien wasn't being supported by Paterno fans.

To:
Coach Bill O'Brien, Houstan Texans head football coach
To publicly acknowledge Paterno supporters supported him.
Sincerely,
[Your name]

quote:

I fully supported OB and I continue to support the effort to vindicate Joe Paterno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

hahaha

• Locked thread