Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Is there some sort of a limit to how strong you can be after a Crusade? I've just had the Pope call a crusade against the Golden Horde for Hungary, which Christendom won handily (I've never even seen a Mongol stack, presumably since they're having another bout with the Ilkhanate), with the King of England gaining the highest score and my King of Brittany (and Lithuania, and Ireland, this game is simply a mess when it comes to borders) coming in second. The king title for Hungary did not form, however, and all the gains went over to the Duke of Sjaelland (I'm not sure what his score was, but definitely not the highest - the King of England was even mentioned in the popup event at the end of the war). Any idea why did that happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Claimants get priority over leaders in score, if memory serves

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
OK, that put me on the right track to find out. It actually is the claimant to the Kingdom of Hungary, but it's not the Duke of Sjaelland. The actual person is the reason why the game did not hand out the King title. Behold:

Ioan Tripmirovic, the bishop of entire Hungary and loyal vassal to Duke of Sjaelland. He now personally holds every single county in the kingdom and during their ~30 or so year long rule of the land the Mongols converted all provinces to Tengri, so he's going to have a bit of a predicament converting them all back - unless he dies first and who the hell knows what happens to all those titles. I'm hoping they won't get a new bishop each.

This game never ceases to amaze me.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
What's even worse though is that Crusade and holy war targets can now repent and convert to Catholicism, which is extremely frustrating when you're about to win and salivating over your new chunk of land.

Of course, I just petitioned a claim with my Pope after that and it's granted, but still.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Yes, it's alarming to see requested, but how interesting would it be if we could trace the cock lengths and boob sizes of European nobles and their descendants. Pervert historians wouldn't be able to get enough!

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
So I got an event where my son and heir went off to the Varangian Guard, thankfully it doesn't disinherit him so I sent him off with my blessings, they will sing songs of him one day :black101:.

I'm hoping with his awesome virtues he will become a super Viking ruler, how long does it take for him to get the Varangian trait?

hellsjudge fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 1, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

hellsjudge posted:

So I got an event where my son and heir went off to the Varangian Guard, thankfully it doesn't disinherit him so I sent him off with my blessings, they will sing songs of him one day :black101:.

I'm hoping with his awesome virtues he will become a super Viking ruler, how long does it take for him to get the Varangian trait?

I think he gets the trait when he joins, but if not he will definitely have it when he comes back, even if his stay is cut short (by inheriting for example). Be aware that being a Varangian can be hugely rewarding (a flat +4 to base martial score, and possibly an upgrade to his martial education trait if he has one of the three lower tier education traits) or very disappointing (from outright dying, coming back as gay, coming back as Greek with a Greek wife to coming back castrated and blinded).

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Torrannor posted:

I think he gets the trait when he joins, but if not he will definitely have it when he comes back, even if his stay is cut short (by inheriting for example). Be aware that being a Varangian can be hugely rewarding (a flat +4 to base martial score, and possibly an upgrade to his martial education trait if he has one of the three lower tier education traits) or very disappointing (from outright dying, coming back as gay, coming back as Greek with a Greek wife to coming back castrated and blinded).

I think that grab bag makes it all the more exciting.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Caufman posted:

Yes, it's alarming to see requested, but how interesting would it be if we could trace the cock lengths and boob sizes of European nobles and their descendants. Pervert historians wouldn't be able to get enough!

Combine it with Game of Throne's chattel slavery mod and you could get into some really dark territory. :heysexy:

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
Sadly my King Haraldr the Fairhair did not make it to see his son become a ferocious Viking overlord, he died of stress. Stress caused by having too much sex with concubines.

This is the first time I wanted to punch the screen and ragequit when someone died, because I was THIS close to finally making a kingdom AND taking Uppland for reforming the Norse faith, but I think this will be a good lesson. Ironman mode is finally making me play this game properly :sigh:.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Excelzior posted:

I don't know, the AI has severe issues with keeping empires together. I tried splitting my Megabritannia into Brit/Scandinavia/Wendish/Carpathia and within 10 years there wasn't a single empire left but my own. They all had degenerated into horrendous, perpetual civil war.

The AI seems to kind of suck at its own game in general, anyone know why?

And seriously, are traits all jumbled up for anybody else? Like Irish emperors suddenly being Sayyids, new ones being slapped on people out of the blue, etc.

(Is there a chance playing with VIET off is why? It does add a shitton of new traits.)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

A minor question, but do we know what affects the cost to create/usurp a title? The cost to create Kingdom Of Sweden in my game has gone from 480 to something like 430 now. Is it Prestige, Piety, or some combination?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Any advice for getting the count -> emperor achievement?

I don't want to cheese it but my best attempt so far was starting as the Count of Nantes, sticking his event troops somewhere safe and raiding and having kids until he was in his 60s when I subjugated Livonia and waited to press for peace until he died and his son took over his huge pile of gold. From there I invaded Bohemia and took the become King of Lithuania ambition but fell just short of becoming Emperor before I died due to some unfortunate inheritances in Pomerania. Prior to this I tried Britannia but while Wales and Ireland are easy England and Scotland get too blobby to pick apart before my ruler dies.

I imagine playing as a count or muslim and holy warring your way through some infidels is probably easier but I have trouble completeing all those sieges in my rulers lifespan.

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks

the talent deficit posted:

I don't want to cheese it but my best attempt so far was starting as the Count of Nantes, sticking his event troops somewhere safe and raiding and having kids until he was in his 60s when I subjugated Livonia and waited to press for peace until he died and his son took over his huge pile of gold. From there I invaded Bohemia and took the become King of Lithuania ambition but fell just short of becoming Emperor before I died due to some unfortunate inheritances in Pomerania. Prior to this I tried Britannia but while Wales and Ireland are easy England and Scotland get too blobby to pick apart before my ruler dies.

I imagine playing as a count or muslim and holy warring your way through some infidels is probably easier but I have trouble completeing all those sieges in my rulers lifespan.

I did it as alfred of dorset. Kill your brother to become duke of somerset , fabricate claims on wales and enough of ireland to take it and vasalize people. Holy war when the norse become weak in the english petty kingdoms and that should about do it , you need maybe 1-2 counties from scotland. I think its 53 in total.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
Another good option is the Count of Syracuse in Byzantium. Muslims right nearby to conquer, then push up into Naples and make yourself King of Sicily. Then, build up your alliances and press for Elective in the Byzantine Empire. After that, just make a faction promoting yourself for the Imperial seat, collect your allies, and win the war.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Flesnolk posted:

The AI seems to kind of suck at its own game in general, anyone know why?

And seriously, are traits all jumbled up for anybody else? Like Irish emperors suddenly being Sayyids, new ones being slapped on people out of the blue, etc.

(Is there a chance playing with VIET off is why? It does add a shitton of new traits.)

The AI is playing the game according to chances on events and whatnot - so while you would never ever in your right mind convert to Catharism, the AI King of France doesn't give a poo poo about converting to Catharism when every vassal is catholic.

Similarly, the AI parcels out titles to all of its sons - so you see one province-demense strong kings with a brother who happens to rule all Aquitaine and Burgundy and has a claim on their titles.

You're playing according to self-interest and with a view toward not self-destructing the kingdom/empire. The AI doesn't really care about that non-sense.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

I know it says you need to do it with a single character, but unless they've patched it, you don't. I got it at about 200 years into my count of Orkney campaign.

Edit: to clarify, my character that got the achievement inherited the kingdom of Ireland and a bunch of other stuff from my previous character. I think all that matters is that you start the campaign as a count.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 2, 2014

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Torrannor posted:

And what is it with people who think cock size or something needs to be represented in the game? Wasn't there some mod that had traits like "hung" and the like? Seems like there is a real demand for this. :stonk:

Look I just... need to know if I'm bigger than William the Bastard, okay?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Torrannor posted:

I'm pretty sure he won't come back Greek-cultured, but he can definitely come back Orthodox.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I'm playing an ironman mode game that I got wrecked at (I started as the tribe of tavastians and am now a 3 count vassal of the norse king of Finland :v: ) but now this king is offering me the spymaster job. I have literally 0 intrigue. Surely there is someone better you can offer the job to.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Cityinthesea posted:

I'm playing an ironman mode game that I got wrecked at (I started as the tribe of tavastians and am now a 3 count vassal of the norse king of Finland :v: ) but now this king is offering me the spymaster job. I have literally 0 intrigue. Surely there is someone better you can offer the job to.

DUU UDE YOU(VE ALWAYS GOT ME BACKKGH BE MY WING MANFOR LIFE WOULDDDDDJA

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Cityinthesea posted:

Maybe he knows that everyone hates him, so he is offering the spymaster position to those that would probably taste the poison for freshness before trying to poison him.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

A White Guy posted:

The AI is playing the game according to chances on events and whatnot - so while you would never ever in your right mind convert to Catharism, the AI King of France doesn't give a poo poo about converting to Catharism when every vassal is catholic.

Similarly, the AI parcels out titles to all of its sons - so you see one province-demense strong kings with a brother who happens to rule all Aquitaine and Burgundy and has a claim on their titles.

You're playing according to self-interest and with a view toward not self-destructing the kingdom/empire. The AI doesn't really care about that non-sense.

What does the AI even really stand to achieve playing that way?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I had a full Norse game from start to finish and I never got a single guy in the Varangian Guard. Does it only happen for Old/unreformed Norse? Because I reformed on my first ruler.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
All right now the real problem, I took Zeeland when it broke off and then some rear end in a top hat Duke from Flanders called a holy war on me and I lost it, unfortunately this tanked my MA and now I have the piety and the holy sites for reformation, but how can I boost my MA quickly? Besieging temples for loot takes way too long.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I dunno if it's a bug, but I got that chiev 3 generations in.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
All this talk about the Varangians reminds me of a Byzantine game where I accidentally Christianized Scandinavia.

I started out in the Old Gods start, so the very first thing that's going on is a Holy War against Muslims in Sicily. I stomp them and immediately declare war to take their remaining holdings in Sicily. I now have enough prestige and gold to form the Varangian guard, so I do that. I also immediately give them a barony in one of the provinces of Sicily where the locals are still Muslims. The local count starts proselytizing the Muslims, also converting a huge number of the Varangians to the Orthodox faith.

Things start getting really interesting when one of Haraldr Fairhair's sons joins the Guard and through his service converts to the Orthodox faith. The same thing happens with one of the sons of the King of Denmark. Upon inheritance, most of Scandinavia now has Orthodox rulers who start converting the populace to their faith.

That game got really weird in a number of ways (at one point I was a Catholic Emperor of the Byzantine Empire because one of my sons had married a Frankish princess and their son had inherited a random County in Lotharingia), so I decided to call it quits, but Christianizing Scandinavia through the Varangian Guard is something I want to revisit at some point.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

nutranurse posted:

Combine it with Game of Throne's chattel slavery mod and you could get into some really dark territory. :heysexy:

I can just picture some Serbian nationalist on the Paradox forum breeding until the white guys are "bigger" than the inferior races. Truly dark.

hellsjudge posted:

All right now the real problem, I took Zeeland when it broke off and then some rear end in a top hat Duke from Flanders called a holy war on me and I lost it, unfortunately this tanked my MA and now I have the piety and the holy sites for reformation, but how can I boost my MA quickly? Besieging temples for loot takes way too long.

Save some money and then use mercenaries to try to win back Zeeland? You are not bound by a truce.

I just thought about the count to emperor achievement. It should be easiest with a count in the HRE (reroll until you get popular traits), then you must simply usurp your duchy. After that you only need to gather enough votes to be elected emperor (probably helped by murdering your predecessor).

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Sorry if this has been posted before, but I just got this game and I can't get the game to start. The splash screen comes up, I click Launch, and then nothing.

I'm in Windows 8 if that helps? I just got this laptop after not having one for a few years so I barely know what I'm doing :blush:. I just want to try this game out, I've been intrigued for a long time and now I'm frustrated.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
How does the consort/concubine stuff work in gameplay, and is that feature restricted to dlcs?
I have none, but would like to know for modding.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Riso posted:

How does the consort/concubine stuff work in gameplay, and is that feature restricted to dlcs?
I have none, but would like to know for modding.

It is patched in, but you can only use it if you have Old Gods, since only then you can play as a pagan/zoro. Concubines works like secondary wives, they can give you children (with claims), but their stats are not added to yours for the purpose of state. Concubines can also be "recruited" from your prison after you capture women in your raiding/conquest.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
I imagine you can mod in concubines for non-pagans, to be honest. Poke around the religions file and you'll find a line you can copy paste to, like, miaphysites or something

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Save some money and then use mercenaries to try to win back Zeeland? You are not bound by a truce.

Yeah the issue is that the Duke of Flanders is a vassal of West Francia and as I just found out the very difficult and painful way, trying to take a county from the Karlings is impossible.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Flesnolk posted:

What does the AI even really stand to achieve playing that way?

It's not playing 'against' you, nor 'against' any of the other AI. It's just doing. It's not 'trying' to achieve.

It should be noted that AI actions are modified by things that raise or lower 'AI rationality'. Things like Possessed lower it, Genius raises it. It'll raise the odds of doing the 'right' actions but it's still random percent chances.

You can say what you want about 'it should be trying to win/get somewhere', and rightly so. But a lot of stories have come out of how the AI acts currently.

I wonder how it would be if it were 'trying to win'? Would we even stand a chance?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bloodly posted:

It's not playing 'against' you, nor 'against' any of the other AI. It's just doing. It's not 'trying' to achieve.

It should be noted that AI actions are modified by things that raise or lower 'AI rationality'. Things like Possessed lower it, Genius raises it. It'll raise the odds of doing the 'right' actions but it's still random percent chances.

You can say what you want about 'it should be trying to win/get somewhere', and rightly so. But a lot of stories have come out of how the AI acts currently.

I wonder how it would be if it were 'trying to win'? Would we even stand a chance?

You are right, traits make a huge difference. Ambitious and brave characters are much more likely to expand through war than content and crave ones for example.

hellsjudge posted:

Yeah the issue is that the Duke of Flanders is a vassal of West Francia and as I just found out the very difficult and painful way, trying to take a county from the Karlings is impossible.

That is one of my favorite things in the Old Gods start as a non-Christian: Dealing with the Karling clown car. You will probably have to wait until they are attacking each other so you can snipe Zeeland. Luckily, Karlings fighting among themselves is often the default state.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Torrannor posted:

That is one of my favorite things in the Old Gods start as a non-Christian: Dealing with the Karling clown car. You will probably have to wait until they are attacking each other so you can snipe Zeeland. Luckily, Karlings fighting among themselves is often the default state.

I just saw West Francia is in a civil war, they just took over East Francia and their levies look to be around 6k total, Bavaria is low and Burgundy is laughable so they won't call like 50 countries in to kick my rear end. Going to hire some mercs and make a grab for Zeeland, wish me luck.

e: going well so far, but I turned my army into a raiding group after taking the county but didn't get any gold after looting a bishopric, is this because my ship wasn't near the coast? Does raiding have a limitation for coastal counties only?

hellsjudge fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 2, 2014

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

hellsjudge posted:

I just saw West Francia is in a civil war, they just took over East Francia and their levies look to be around 6k total, Bavaria is low and Burgundy is laughable so they won't call like 50 countries in to kick my rear end. Going to hire some mercs and make a grab for Zeeland, wish me luck.

This is basically CK2 military expansion in a nutshell. Wait for your enemy to get into a realm-shattering civil war, then pounce. Usually works well, but can be frustrating as hell when you get an enemy whose realm is stable for like a century.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I just got this game and I can't get the game to start. The splash screen comes up, I click Launch, and then nothing.

I'm in Windows 8 if that helps? I just got this laptop after not having one for a few years so I barely know what I'm doing :blush:. I just want to try this game out, I've been intrigued for a long time and now I'm frustrated.

Run ck2.exe from the games Steam folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Crusader Kings II\) and you should get an error message about a missing dll. Mine was for d2dx9_41.dll. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19743 is what I needed.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Bloodly posted:

This is why I absolutely love Crusader Kings, especially above all other Paradox games. Having the AI simulate each individual human actor from emperor to courtier based on their personalities creates such interesting possibilities. I hope that as the series progresses, the devs will continue to focus on bringing the complex social network of feudalism further to the front of their games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Caufman posted:

This is why I absolutely love Crusader Kings, especially above all other Paradox games. Having the AI simulate each individual human actor from emperor to courtier based on their personalities creates such interesting possibilities. I hope that as the series progresses, the devs will continue to focus on bringing the complex social network of feudalism further to the front of their games.

Yeah I enjoyed Europa Universalis 2 and 3 and Hearts of Iron 2 but after CK2 I couldn't go back to not having all these personalities to deal with. I haven't even bothered picking up EU4.

• Locked thread