Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Hey before I press the trigger, are the Wii U classic controllers worth it if I like to play lots of SNES era games? Also, does anyone know if those Japanese Club Nintendo SNES/Wii controllers work for the Wii U?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Hey before I press the trigger, are the Wii U classic controllers worth it if I like to play lots of SNES era games? Also, does anyone know if those Japanese Club Nintendo SNES/Wii controllers work for the Wii U?

They're actually called the Wii U Pro controllers, and yes they work rather well with SNES games. Yes, Japanese Wiimotes and controllers will work provided the software supports it (i.e. Virtual Console, original Wii games).

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Some gamestops still have $249 deluxe bundles. Check those out first if you guys are gonna pick one up.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Nintendo's online store is selling refurbed like new wiimote plus' with matching nunchuk for $20. Then pick up classic controller pros for another $20 and that cost less than the Pro U controller, and you'll be using the wiimotes more than the pro u controller, which is also tits.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

bushisms.txt posted:

Nintendo's online store is selling refurbed like new wiimote plus' with matching nunchuk for $20. Then pick up classic controller pros for another $20 and that cost less than the Pro U controller, and you'll be using the wiimotes more than the pro u controller, which is also tits.

Awesome news. Thanks! :c00l:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Some gamestops still have $249 deluxe bundles. Check those out first if you guys are gonna pick one up.

Also cool. I'll look for that as well

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Hey I'm going to take the plunge and get a Wii U finally. I turned on my Wii for the first time in around 4 years and found that it retained all my old games that I bought on the Wii Shop. Now with the SD card transfer as shown in the OP, will this transfer all my games etc and I'll be able to access them on the Wii U with no problems? I don't know if I have to do anything else.

Edit: is there also a way to reset the original Wii of all settings so I can pass it along to others?

Edit 2: found out I have 2300 Wii points on my account as well. Will these transfer over?

If you previously homebrewed your Wii, that stuff won't be moved over. However, you can use that stuff to restore a full backup of your Wii's contents and thus restore your titles after you complete the transfer. Just don't connect to the Wii shop channel after restoring them, since I believe it validates your games and will notice they've been transferred and delete them.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

hubris.height posted:

Sorry if this has been answered, but do we have a date on this being released yet?
It's out now. If you already have the Wii version of Dr. Mario it isn't really worth the $15 unless you've got eShop credits burning a hole in your pocket.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Dr. Luigi isn't out in PAL-land until the 15th, in case anyone's confused about that.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

deafmute posted:

It's out now. If you already have the Wii version of Dr. Mario it isn't really worth the $15 unless you've got eShop credits burning a hole in your pocket.

I do not have that, and I am buying this right now, thanks.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Updating the Wii U so I can start transferring data tonight. I'm honestly surprised that there is no Wii remote included. No problem since I have my old ones, but eh.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Updating the Wii U so I can start transferring data tonight. I'm honestly surprised that there is no Wii remote included. No problem since I have my old ones, but eh.

When your Gamepad costs over $100 to manufacture you're not going to just toss in a Wii Remote and increase your package costs even more. Besides, they tend to give them out in a lot of games (Mario Sonic Olympics, Wii Party U, etc.)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh yeah, I'm not disappointed at all, it just never occurred to me that they wouldn't include one. I have more than a few anyway, so it's no big deal.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Finally beat Champion's Road. I had to cheese my way with having an idle 2nd player, but now at least I can say I beat it.

Now on to that loving mystery house...

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Astro7x posted:

Finally beat Champion's Road. I had to cheese my way with having an idle 2nd player, but now at least I can say I beat it.

Champion Road owns, I did a semi-speedrun type thing of it with Toad. I think keeping your momentum is really the key to getting through it smoothly, same goes for the final levels in SMG2 and 3D Land

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Help Im Alive posted:

Champion Road owns, I did a semi-speedrun type thing of it with Toad. I think keeping your momentum is really the key to getting through it smoothly, same goes for the final levels in SMG2 and 3D Land

It's interesting seeing your different techniques, but totally agree that there is a rhythm that you get into where you need to take off at certain times.

I did my run as Peach, I don't think I could do it as Toad

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Help Im Alive posted:

You make it look so easy, I'm having such a difficult time on the rhythm blocks

Game is really fun though, I had my doubts at the beginning but there are a lot of cool ideas and the last 3 worlds can get pretty hectic.

Astro7x posted:

I'm assuming there isn't a checkpoint in the middle? My brother and I can't seem to get the 15th star because the timer always runs out right when we're next to it. Can't imagine having to replay them all over again when you just have to get a couple near the end.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Finally picked up NES Remix. This is definitely in my wheelhouse. So far the only games that have been frustrating me are Ice Climber due to the sometimes unresponsive jump and Mario Bros. due to being a really terrible game. Everything else I'd consider a fair challenge. Link Donkey Kong is really hard. I can get to the final platform but the timing to wait for DK to drop a barrel down is too much for me.

I've been having the most fun with the Balloon Fight and Excitebike challenges, while I've so far found Zelda games to be underwhelming.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

bef posted:

You make it look so easy, I'm having such a difficult time on the rhythm blocks

Game is really fun though, I had my doubts at the beginning but there are a lot of cool ideas and the last 3 worlds can get pretty hectic.

I'm assuming there isn't a checkpoint in the middle? My brother and I can't seem to get the 15th star because the timer always runs out right when we're next to it. Can't imagine having to replay them all over again when you just have to get a couple near the end.

I was playing as Peach. When there are two of the same color next to each other as a step, jump at the very last moment before it disappears. Then float, and your float will finish right as it reappears on the next step.

And no checkpoint, that is the challenge of the mystery house :( It looks so easy with 4 players, but my wife is no help to me....

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Can you change the size of the icons in the main menu like you can on the 3DS? I can't for the life of me find the option, but I want to have more than 15 icons on my screen.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 2, 2014

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Katana Gomai posted:

Can you change the size of the icons in the main menu like you can on the 3DS? I can't for the life of me fine the option, but I want to have more than 15 icons on my screen.

Yeah, same. And folders. Preferably with more indication of what's in it than just one letter like on the 3DS. Hilariously stupid, that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Is there any reward or additional content for rainbow ranking everything in NES Remix?

I rainbow ranked all the main games, but the remixes are just too hard. I think I have like two stamps left, and I've three starred everything except the last bonus level. I'm probably going to want to do that one, but after that I think I'm done unless there's one last level to unlock.

Edit: Seconding folders. I am in desperate need, I have only one empty page left. Luckily for now Nintendo decided to stop releasing good virtual console games.

greatn fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 2, 2014

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
The next Nintendo exclusive to anger everyone should be what's written on this license plate:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The next Nintendo exclusive to anger everyone should be what's written on this license plate:

Oh that would result in an amazing internet poo poo fight.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Come on Sega, stop twisting the knife :negative:.

Anyone know what the pricing's going to be do download Ryo, or will he be free?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The Wii U is the heir apparent to the Dreamcast, so it makes sense.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

zenintrude posted:

The Wii U is the heir apparent to the Dreamcast, so it makes sense.

Well if THAT were true I needs me a loving Power Stone 3 before this all goes tits up.

And more Space Channel 5.

And all of Shenmue, plus more Shenmue.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

greatn posted:

Edit: Seconding folders. I am in desperate need, I have only one empty page left. Luckily for now Nintendo decided to stop releasing good virtual console games.
I think once you fill up all the pages it just adds another one automatically.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The wailing and gnashing of teeth would be hilarious. If Sega is tight on money someone should start a kickstarter to make this happen :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fishylungs posted:

Well if THAT were true I needs me a loving Power Stone 3 before this all goes tits up.

And more Space Channel 5.

And all of Shenmue, plus more Shenmue.

I'm surprised Shenmue 1&2 haven't gotten an HD rerelease, if only to try and gauge interest on actually making Shenmue 3. And if Capcom had any of their creative talent left, they probably would've made Power Stone 3 long ago. They should license it out to Platinum and have them make it :getin:.

deafmute posted:

The wailing and gnashing of teeth would be hilarious. If Sega is tight on money someone should start a kickstarter to make this happen :allears:

If Keiji Inafune can kickstart a new game, then there's no reason Yu Suzuki can't either :colbert:.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm surprised Shenmue 1&2 haven't gotten an HD rerelease, if only to try and gauge interest on actually making Shenmue 3.

The most genius thing Sega did after Dreamcast went tits up (in my biased eyes) was release a bunch of Dreamcast games for the Gamecube. Heck I'll be honest, I originally purchased All-Stars Transformed just because Vyse was in it and I thought in some stupid way that buying that game would assist the possibility of another Skies of Arcadia title. I probably never would have played it otherwise.

Now Skies of Arcadia is one of the most requested games for Sega to release for download services, along with Shenmue. I don't believe that would have been the case had they never did the Gamecube port. If they do an HD remake it just has to come to Wii U. IT HAS TO :argh:

But yeah, Shenmue 3 for Wii U would be hilarious. Actually, Nintendo should just enter a big exclusivity deal with Sega and fund a bunch of games Sega doesn't want to take the risk on. Especially niché Atlus titles.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

God a WII U Powerstone would be loving awesome.

Any recommended fun fighting games for the Wii U? Other than Mario and Zelda I'm pretty ignorant on what's not only available, but actually good on this system.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Any recommended fun fighting games for the Wii U? Other than Mario and Zelda I'm pretty ignorant on what's not only available, but actually good on this system.

Tekken Tag Tournament is pretty good and at one point in Target in Canada you could buy it for five bucks.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Tekken Tag Tournament is pretty good and at one point in Target in Canada you could buy it for five bucks.

Oh drat I forgot about that one. Thanks!

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The pool of fighting games is pretty much Street Fighter 2 variations on eShop, Injustice(not sure if they ever made the DLC stuff available) and Tekken Tag 2. Tekken Tag 2 can be found for really cheap and has Tekken Ball in it along with Mario related powerups in some modes(Nintendo costumes for every character too).

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Tatsonuko vs is a good fighter for the Wii if you don't mind being in Wii mode.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

bushisms.txt posted:

I'll second TvC as being a good fighting game. A hell of a lot better than Marvel 3 at least, and better balanced too.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Has Nintendo publicly said anything about a Mario Sunshine remake? With Nintendo's track record, such a project seems like an inevitability. I guess it's just a question of whether or not we'd get it during the Wii U's lifespan. I actually do have a GameCube that's still all hooked up (with component cables!), so theoretically I could track down the original game, but I hesitate to spend ~$40 for a used copy of questionable quality.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Dr. Luigi ($14.99) and CastleStorm ($9.99) are now up on the eShop along with Super Punch Out! and Mega Man X2 ($7.99).

I guess the controls are better in the Wii U version of CastleStorm than other versions? Just something I caught a few people saying. Don't know if accurate.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

bushisms.txt posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't know this existed. I loved a lot of the Tatsunoko shows when I was a kid :psyduck:

Hey is the Fist of the North Star game on the Wii U worth a poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Hey is the Fist of the North Star game on the Wii U worth a poo poo?

Seriously no, even if you love FotNS so much you have become an abomination unto god.

The PS3/360 first game isn't quite as bad if you're desperate.

• Locked thread