Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

As I understand it, they only made that mistake in the first edition and never mentioned it again after that.
The Fiends have a few Nazi NPCs because of loving course they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
As far as Things That Should Not Be in oWoD, Earthbound Demons both are themselves that sort of thing (they're also known as the Mad Gods because they're crazy as outhouse rats and are powered by worship) and furthermore can potentially summon horrible things from outside of reality itself.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Ensign Expendable posted:

Ooh, does Stalin get one? Now I want to know what kind of creatures various historical characters are assigned to.
To quote one of White Wolf's authors:

"Stalin was just human. Just a genocidal, wyrm-touched, mage-tainted, wraith-riddled, pooka-poked human. No vampiric influence whatsoever."

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Feinne posted:

As far as Things That Should Not Be in oWoD, Earthbound Demons both are themselves that sort of thing (they're also known as the Mad Gods because they're crazy as outhouse rats and are powered by worship) and furthermore can potentially summon horrible things from outside of reality itself.

A far as the Earthbound go:

When Lucifer's army finally was defeated, the rebel angels were cast into Hell. Now, Hell wasn't the fiery pit of torment that you'd think it was. It was a cold place, cut off entirely from God. The only thing the angels there could experience was a faint sense of humanity in the world at large. The struggles and horrific things they went through after the Great War and civilizations rising and falling was unbearable to the fallen who loved them, who had sacrificed everything for them. That torment was what caused most of them to turn into the demons you'd expect. The final blow came from a very deep and personal betrayal: Lucifer wasn't in Hell with them.

Over the thousands and thousands of years, eventually some of the fallen noticed others simply weren't around. They'd been summoned by mortal mages. Lucifer gave his knowledge of the divine to humans so that he could have them summon his 5 lieutenants and perhaps restart the Grand Experient. Unfortunately, he quickly learned that their torment had turned them into monstrous creatures who hated him as much, if not more than God. He dismissed them, but the humans remembered. They would summon more from Hell

Demons felt the pull back to Hell so strongly that they needed a physical shell to anchor themselves with so they wouldn't be dragged back to their torment. Mortal shells were problematic, as they couldn't hold the pure essence of an angel, fallen or otherwise. So they had great monoliths, or statues, or altars carved or otherwise assembled to house their beings. The greatest were the big 5, naturally, and they were the ones who brought war to the world in a grand scale to garner faith to sustain them in their sacred vessels.

It was Lucifer's guidance of humanity that eventually got them put back to sleep. He shepherded them into worship of God rather than 'false idols', basically creating the Judaic religions and protecting them from outside influence. As faith in the pagan gods (the fallen) dropped, so did their power. Eventually, they were forced to hibernate from sheer lack of food.

Of course, they made contingency plans...

Erebro
Apr 28, 2013

Vicissitude posted:

A far as the Earthbound go:

When Lucifer's army finally was defeated, the rebel angels were cast into Hell. Now, Hell wasn't the fiery pit of torment that you'd think it was. It was a cold place, cut off entirely from God. The only thing the angels there could experience was a faint sense of humanity in the world at large. The struggles and horrific things they went through after the Great War and civilizations rising and falling was unbearable to the fallen who loved them, who had sacrificed everything for them. That torment was what caused most of them to turn into the demons you'd expect. The final blow came from a very deep and personal betrayal: Lucifer wasn't in Hell with them.

Over the thousands and thousands of years, eventually some of the fallen noticed others simply weren't around. They'd been summoned by mortal mages. Lucifer gave his knowledge of the divine to humans so that he could have them summon his 5 lieutenants and perhaps restart the Grand Experient. Unfortunately, he quickly learned that their torment had turned them into monstrous creatures who hated him as much, if not more than God. He dismissed them, but the humans remembered. They would summon more from Hell.

Demons felt the pull back to Hell so strongly that they needed a physical shell to anchor themselves with so they wouldn't be dragged back to their torment. Mortal shells were problematic, as they couldn't hold the pure essence of an angel, fallen or otherwise. So they had great monoliths, or statues, or altars carved or otherwise assembled to house their beings. The greatest were the big 5, naturally, and they were the ones who brought war to the world in a grand scale to garner faith to sustain them in their sacred vessels.

It was Lucifer's guidance of humanity that eventually got them put back to sleep. He shepherded them into worship of God rather than 'false idols', basically creating the Judaic religions and protecting them from outside influence. As faith in the pagan gods (the fallen) dropped, so did their power. Eventually, they were forced to hibernate from sheer lack of food.

Of course, they made contingency plans...

More than that, Earthbound actually have it worse, in some ways, than those stuck in the Abyss (Hell), though. The Abyss is a realm of pure sensory deprivation, with occasional snatches from the outside world. It's definitely a fate worse than death, but comparatively, there's definitely worse things in the OWoD.

Being Earthbound may not be the worst thing possible, but it's definitely in the running. See, the sensory deprivation doesn't stop in the phylactery-except instead of occasional flashes of the living world that give the slim hope of eventual release, the Earthbound are eternally, tortuously aware that there's an entire world just out there, that they could have, not to rule, but simply to live in if only they had flesh. But of course, they can't, because their spirits have adapted to have an artificial one, and this constantly wears on them. Forgive me for sounding pretentious here, but the best way to describe them is Tantalus as an entire race, eternally reaching out for the joys and wonders of existence as a physical being, but having it cruelly denied them. Is it any wonder they lash out at it, denying to everyone what they can never have again?

And then they discover that, after the Sixth Great Maelstorm, their Abyss-bound brethren can and do slip out into permanent mortal shells, where the exposure to people who haven't been tortured for eternity restores at least some of their sanity, and allows them to experience the joys of existing to their hearts' content. Yeah, they don't like the Fallen you play as very much.

Erebro fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 29, 2013

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

citybeatnik posted:

The Fiends have a few Nazi NPCs because of loving course they do.

In nHunter, the Nazis may have had access to the remains of a mysterious race of ?vanished? precursors called the Rmoahals, or as they're more commonly known mythologically, Thule. In real life history, Thule was the mythical homeland of the Aryan race, according to the Third Reich's occult side. In nHunter, it's an excuse to do Weird War Two stuff in the best traditions of Indiana Jones and Wolfenstein. No actual specific Nazis are linked to the Rmoahals, though - the Loyalists of Thule Compact, formerly known as the Thule Society, was mostly purged and the survivors fled in exile when things started getting batshit. At most, it's suggested that the Nazis may have experimented on werewolves with the Thule Society folks who did drink the kool-aid.

On the other hand, want super-powered zombie Hitler? Here's your stop.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cythereal posted:

In nHunter, the Nazis may have had access to the remains of a mysterious race of ?vanished? precursors called the Rmoahals, or as they're more commonly known mythologically, Thule. In real life history, Thule was the mythical homeland of the Aryan race, according to the Third Reich's occult side. In nHunter, it's an excuse to do Weird War Two stuff in the best traditions of Indiana Jones and Wolfenstein. No actual specific Nazis are linked to the Rmoahals, though - the Loyalists of Thule Compact, formerly known as the Thule Society, was mostly purged and the survivors fled in exile when things started getting batshit. At most, it's suggested that the Nazis may have experimented on werewolves with the Thule Society folks who did drink the kool-aid.

I do kind of like the idea of the Thule society, as a sort of cross between researching the occult and then whacking nazi abominations in the face with a spade.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
And who doesn't want that?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

What's the deal with Genius: The Transgression?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Siegkrow posted:

It's a fan-made game line. Large-scale fanfic, basically.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Aw. I thought it would be something nice.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Cythereal posted:

On the other hand, want super-powered zombie Hitler? Here's your stop.

If we are talking about nWoD, there is a whole Legacy of hermaphroditic, three-eyed mages called Daksha. They all believe they are the superior race, the next step in the human evolution. They are polite, serene, and completely disdainful towards normal humans. Most of them no longer wants to exterminate or enslave normal humans, but in the past, the ones that did were a significant part of this Legacy. Many of them supported Nazis during the war, which is currently regarded as a shameful episode in their history.

Siegkrow posted:

Fan-made addition. Personally I like it, because it's so similar to the oMage - grandiose and wacky as hell.

The idea is pretty similar to Ascension, although inverted. When an idea is proven to be false and a large amount of people stops believing in it, something steps in and tries to manifest it in our reality. This is called Maniac Storm and can create some lasting effects. For example, when humanity saw the first pictures of Mars, a hostile Martian Empire appeared. Fortunately, effects of Mania are as susceptible to disbelief as magic, so they are not a significant threat for Sleepers.

Geniuses are people who channel Mania. They are very driven individuals whose minds broke, or got subverted by some outside force. They can use rejected scientific theories or straight pseudoscience to make devices that shouldn't be able to work. There is a limitation, though - only they can use it and maintain reliably. If their devices are examined by mundane people, or - God forbid - actual scientists, it either doesn't work, or fails - usually in a very spectacular way. Geniuses hate it - all of them want to change the world, but they are actually unable to spread their ideas. If they try to make someone understand their theories, he either gets Enlightened, or made into a Beholden - a person completely devoid of ideas who always believes what they are told. Also, the more powerful a Genius becomes, the more unable to communicate with normal people he is.

The "good" Geniuses are called the Peerage - they at least acknowledge they are broken. Their worse counterparts are Lemurians who believe in consensual reality. They really try to make it true and actually have plans how to bring a new, better universe for everyone. All of them generate a field around themselves that warps reality and allows Mania-related things to materialize. If they are compatible with their worldview, these Manes become stable and don't vanish.

The thing that really cracked me up is one of the ways to regenerate Mania. Most of them are quite mundane: contemplation or research. But you can also capture someone, restrain them and rant about your master plan - thirty seconds and you're nearly full.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Gantolandon posted:

The thing that really cracked me up is one of the ways to regenerate Mania. Most of them are quite mundane: contemplation or research. But you can also capture someone, restrain them and rant about your master plan - thirty seconds and you're nearly full.

:pseudo: "They called me mad! But I'll show them! I'll show them all!" followed by 25 seconds of mad laughter.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
As far as Cthulhu-monsters, a cross-setting book called "Blood-Dimmed Tides" had the Chulorvia (pronounced with a hard "ch"). They were tentacle aliens in the vague shape of a human who lived under the sea and, IIRC, wanted to infect all of humanity to make us like them. I think they win "Most Like H.P. Lovecraft's Fever Dreams".

OAquinas posted:

Was the plan. CCP Games just gutted the Atlanta office right before Christmas. Atlanta being the offices of White Wolf and the heart of WoD online development, that's not a good sign. Someone noted that the WW buyout included a contractual obligation to develop a WoD mmo...but there's no release date. So as long as they can claim it's "in development" they can sit on it in perpetuity. Their ill-advised/failed FPS Dust has sucked up all the non-eve devs and creative oxygen.

So you don't know what Onyx Path is or what happened after CCP said they weren't making tabletop games? And you think it takes, what, not more than two years to make an MMORPG, right? This is snide hearsay.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MartianAgitator posted:

As far as Cthulhu-monsters, a cross-setting book called "Blood-Dimmed Tides" had the Chulorvia (pronounced with a hard "ch"). They were tentacle aliens in the vague shape of a human who lived under the sea and, IIRC, wanted to infect all of humanity to make us like them. I think they win "Most Like H.P. Lovecraft's Fever Dreams".

Eh. They weren't "things that should not be," though. They were just squid disease tentacle things. They actively want to destroy humanity. Lovecraft's signature brand of horror is that these entities, and the universe in general, just does not care about humanity. All of humanity's accomplishments, all of its hopes and dreams, are nothing but a blink in the eye of a vast and uncaring universe and will be snuffed out like a candle when the stars are right. It's not that there are monsters out to get you - it's that there are monsters, but they have the same regard for humanity that we have for ants on the sidewalk.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Eh. They weren't "things that should not be," though. They were just squid disease tentacle things. They actively want to destroy humanity. Lovecraft's signature brand of horror is that these entities, and the universe in general, just does not care about humanity. All of humanity's accomplishments, all of its hopes and dreams, are nothing but a blink in the eye of a vast and uncaring universe and will be snuffed out like a candle when the stars are right. It's not that there are monsters out to get you - it's that there are monsters, but they have the same regard for humanity that we have for ants on the sidewalk.

And, y'know, sometimes kids take a magnifying glass to them. Or some guy gets artsy and drips molten metal down the anthill to get a sculpture.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

MartianAgitator posted:

So you don't know what Onyx Path is or what happened after CCP said they weren't making tabletop games? And you think it takes, what, not more than two years to make an MMORPG, right? This is snide hearsay.

Re Onyx Path: these weren't staff voluntarily leaving for the that WW lifeboat company. These were outright staff layoffs by CCP. That they occurred at the primary office for the development of that IP and MMO? That can only be good news for the imminent release of said MMO!(that has been in development since 2009)

Its not hearsay that the layoffs happened; I'll admit to the net effect being speculation. But DUST being an underwhelming title and the WDO game being largely Atlanta-driven are not. I'll just leave it as "I'll be shocked if this thing sees the light of day within 2 years."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-12-ccp-re-evaluates-world-of-darkness-looses-more-staff

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 2, 2014

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A very long time ago the company I was working for was going through a messy merger; and I was a developer at the tail end of a deathmarch having worked 80 hour weeks for almost 6 months. I had an option to stay on in my current industry and finish the march (and see what opened up at the new company) or work for CCP in Atlanta; probably on the WOD MMO. Always wondered what would have happened if I took the CCP path. I have a good guess now.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 2, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but World of Darkness is basically a setting where every terrible creature and monster from stories and mythology exists to some extent? Like there are Frankenstein's monster style creatures running around hunting down the Shadow People who are being controlled by Grey Aliens? The Wikipedia article isn't as in depth as some of the knowledge being thrown around here is.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Lazyfire posted:

So someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but World of Darkness is basically a setting where every terrible creature and monster from stories and mythology exists to some extent? Like there are Frankenstein's monster style creatures running around hunting down the Shadow People who are being controlled by Grey Aliens? The Wikipedia article isn't as in depth as some of the knowledge being thrown around here is.

To an extent. It's more accurate to say that most myths have something to do with the main supernaturals. Miscellaneous critters are usually some distortion of a vampire or werewolf ability or some such.

Also keep in mind that the seeming commonality of these creatures is mostly optics. These supernaturals are still incredibly rare relative to the population.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Lazyfire posted:

The mummies are Old World and the Frankenstein monsters are New World and I don't think the idea of aliens controlling anything has ever come up (aside from the one time everyone would just rather forget), but basically, yeah. World of Darkness is totally into the Monster Mash. Of course, all the monsters are tremendously cliquish even within their own circles, so if a group wanted to put together some kind of Universal Studios party and go on reverse Scooby Doo adventures it'd require having to throw out a hell of a lot of the setting backstory, and it's worth mentioning that White Wolf in general prefers an approach to RPG's that's heavier on the roleplaying than on the mechanics, and so the backstory is a pretty big percentage of each book.

I'd still want to play a game like that, though. It wouldn't even matter that power levels vary wildly between monsters, it'd be crazy for the sake of fun (or perhaps the other way around).

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

To an extent. It's more accurate to say that most myths have something to do with the main supernaturals. Miscellaneous critters are usually some distortion of a vampire or werewolf ability or some such.

Also keep in mind that the seeming commonality of these creatures is mostly optics. These supernaturals are still incredibly rare relative to the population.

The new Demon suggests that a lot of the particularly weird one-off monsters might be Stigmatic animals (for example Mothmen).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Feinne posted:

The new Demon suggests that a lot of the particularly weird one-off monsters might be Stigmatic animals (for example Mothmen).

I look forward to a pdf of New Demon being buyable by anyone. How I wish I'd known about that kickstarter.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I don't think the idea of aliens controlling anything has ever come up (aside from the one time everyone would just rather forget),

nHunter suggests this as an option, in the "what if you don't want to fight one of the other game lines" section. nHunter suggests that any mythical, supernatural, etc bad guy you can think of, you can draw up and sic on your Hunters.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Of course, all the monsters are tremendously cliquish even within their own circles, so if a group wanted to put together some kind of Universal Studios party and go on reverse Scooby Doo adventures it'd require having to throw out a hell of a lot of the setting backstory, and it's worth mentioning that White Wolf in general prefers an approach to RPG's that's heavier on the roleplaying than on the mechanics, and so the backstory is a pretty big percentage of each book.

It's not entirely impossible. A Brujah Anarch, a Bone Gnawer Ragabash, and a Hunter Redeemer all walk into a bar...

Of course, the balance would be completely hosed eight ways to Sunday.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The mummies are Old World and the Frankenstein monsters are New World and I don't think the idea of aliens controlling anything has ever come up (aside from the one time everyone would just rather forget), but basically, yeah. World of Darkness is totally into the Monster Mash.
There's a nWoD version of Mummy - just not sure how it actually works aside from "you wake up at your full power, but the more you use it the quicker you have to go back to your tomb. But hey, have a Cult!" and a dedicated Hunter Conspiracy that takes delight in actually eating said Mummies.

And I want to say that aliens cropped up occasionally in oWoD Mage - they were weird umbral things that the Void Engineers had to devote some of their time to smacking about. And then there was Cthulhu on the dark side of the moon...

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Tehan posted:

It's not entirely impossible. A Brujah Anarch, a Bone Gnawer Ragabash, and a Hunter Redeemer all walk into a bar...

Of course, the balance would be completely hosed eight ways to Sunday.

I would say it's not the balance that's the biggest problem. It's just that the world is too small for all these settings combined.

Crossovers work if you want to have your vampire clique having a fight with some dickish werewolves, or let your mage cabal play ghostbusters. It's even OK if you have that one guy who just has to be a wizard when everyone else is content with sucking blood. You just create a vampire campaign that involves some mages to let him have some backstory too. No big deal.

But if you go with a mixed team, you're almost guaranteed to have a bad time as a ST. Vampires, as we all know, are very influential and have a tight grip on most of the cities. Technocracy from oMage is a huge, shadowy organization which pretty much controls everything - business, politics and science. They hate every supernatural being, including other mages, with a passion. The agents of Wyrm also regularly creep into positions of power, trying to do as much ecological damage as possible. Now try to imagine these three forces coexisting somehow, managing not to engage into an open war that would most probably level the entire city.

You also need to fit in somewhere a sect of vampires that just don't give a poo poo and like to go into murderous rampages. Place the city werewolves somewhere, where they won't immediately be raided by mages for Quintessence. Try to think how should the local police force look like - there is bound to be at least one infiltrator for every faction imaginable. Maybe, if you feel like it, imagine some influential mortals with their own agenda. What's most important, you need to have a reason why there are no YouTube videos with trash golems fighting Terminators yet.

Now imagine players interacting with this mess.

And Vampire, Werewolf and Mage are settings that interact with themselves pretty well. Changelings pretty much live in their own autistic world, which all other supernaturals have very little to care about. Wraiths live in their own parallel dimension and can interact with the real world only through their superpowers - and their politics is nearly as byzantine as Camarilla's. Demon's cosmology doesn't even fit the one presented in Mage and Werewolf. And there are also mummies, Kuei-jin, other shapechangers, hunters, Risen wraiths...

A realistic session of such a crossover should end with the city overrun by werewolves throwing trucks at solar-powered zeppelins.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gantolandon posted:

A realistic session of such a crossover should end with the city overrun by werewolves throwing trucks at solar-powered zeppelins.

Or with the Technocracy nuking the place.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Vampire and Mage at least have some written crossover for them: Blood Treachery was the book. Basically went over rules for vampire blood addicted mages (and how it slowly kills them). It's still more than a bit janky to pit the two together--I believe it advocated for using one or the other system as a "base" rather than do a straight mix--but it's there.

Plus it was a good look at the "heretical" Hermetic House and its relations with the main Order in contemporary times. Interesting aside, because Hermetic magic is based on occult symbolism (mandalas, diagrams, etc) and so is Tremere Thaumaturgy, the non-mage vampires get a chance to do countermagic against Hermetic magic sendings only. Nice bit of internal consistency.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

oWoD Demon's cosmology is consistent with everything, because it suggests that in the past reality didn't work the same way. For example animals both evolved naturally in a six billion year old world and were literally made out of clay and had life breathed into them by angels in a world that had only just come into being because both of those things were just different facets of the same event. So, when different supernaturals tell mutually exclusive stories about how things were supposed to have gone in the past, the answer probably is that both of those stories indeed did happen because they're both different facets of whatever actually did happen (while at the same time present reality doesn't necessarily actually reflect what happened because God broke it).

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

OAquinas posted:

Vampire and Mage at least have some written crossover for them: Blood Treachery was the book.

Don't forget the majesty that was Dark Alliance: Vancouver! Vampires and Werewolves living together, mass hysteria!

OAquinas posted:

Plus it was a good look at the "heretical" Hermetic House and its relations with the main Order in contemporary times.

And the source for the "there is now an oak tree growing out of your chest, motherfucker" rote. A mage who sacrifices style to avoid vulgarity deserves everything he gets.

Casca
Jan 25, 2006

The Saints must Flow.

Cythereal posted:

From what I recall, the only significant event in human history no supernatural line claims involvement with in oWoD is World War Two. There's a Wraith book about it and the Holocaust in particular, and it's actually pretty sensitive and well-written. Wraith is about the afterlife, so it's mainly about the consequences of that stuff. Supernaturals of one stripe or other claim they were pretty much every major historical figure and responsible for every major historical event... except World War Two and the people notable to it. Nope, they swear up and down that that one was completely and exclusively on humanity's shoulders.

There were some Nazi werewolves in the Get of Fenris tribe but the American GI Fenrir handled it in house IIRC.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gantolandon posted:

Just going to chime in that that sounds like one hell of a fun time, at least.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

You're nothing but a common criminal, who consorts with gangsters and assassins?

And you? You're just a tiny, squeaky wheel. Now be a good cog and just let me go.

Therese has told us that the only access to the hotel is through the sewer, so that's where we'll enter. There are numerous manholes in Santa Monica, this is just one of them. Remember: we're doing this in order to get Therese to call off the Feud. We're going to the hotel, which is supposedly haunted by some spirit, and we're going to try to find some item of the spirit's to take back with us in order to banish the spirit.

The sewer system is supposed to be the main method of travel if you play as a Nosferatu. It's a nice little feature.

Access Point A is our destination. Up and to the left.

No other access points are locked, it's just the hotel's.

It wasn't an easy decision, but since it's clear to me that the hotel doesn't come across fully in screen shots, I have decided to have the main portion of this update be in video form.

Watch here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhNLdcqUD_Y

I thought that the hotel alone was sufficient for its own update, so that's where we will end this one.

Here's the full text of the diary:

Diary posted:

This is the charred remains of what looks like a diary:

05/30/1958 - Just arrived here, at the Ocean House. We have a week-long holiday here in Santa Monica, and Ed has booked us a room for the hotel's grand opening. It's a wonderful place, almost magical. The children have been swimming all afternoon.

05/31/1958 - The first two days have been almost perfect, except that Ed can't seem to stop asking about the locket I received from my mother. He seems to think it was sent to me by some other admirer. Ed can be sweet, but sometimes his jealousy can get the better of him. Hopefully he'll feel better tomorrow.

06/01/1958 - Sun is out today, not a cloud in the sky. Ed seems a little on edge, keeps guessing as to who my \"new boyfriend\" is. Silly Ed.

06/03/1958 - There was a picnic for the hotel guests this morning... quite a grand affair. Ed is in a dark mood. I don't know what I can do to reassure him that he is my one and only love. The only time he seemed to brighten up was when he was speaking to the groundskeeper. Boys and their tools....

06/04/1958 - We only have two days left, and thank God we're finally going home. Ed won't speak to me or the children, and I've found him more than once in the bathroom holding the locket and staring at it. I'm afraid he's suffered some sort of breakdown. I've told him we can go home, but he just shakes his head. He won't look at me. I just want to go home.

06/05/1958 - Ed left early this morning, and I haven't seem him since. If I haven't seen him in another hour, I'm going to call the hotel manager. Against my better wishes, Ed Jr. went to look for him downstairs in the basement. I'm going to send Tiffany down to fetch him, if... wait... someone is knocking at the door....

Oh my God, Ed covered in blood... coming to kill me... locked myself in the bathroom... he's gone crazy... he keeps shouting we'll be together forever and he'll never let me go... someone please hel... (The writing trails off the end of the page.)

gatz fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 17, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Oh my god, you missed the best bit! Before you try to climb the staircase you can explore the ground floor a little bit. Down one corridor you'll find nothing but locked doors, but as you get near the end the girl's voice behind you whispers "He's coming!". You turn around and there's a guy with an axe standing there, but just for a moment before he fades away. Like everything else in this location, it's really well done.

When I was actually playing it I found the ghost throwing stuff at you pretty annoying, because it's really hard to dodge, but I must admit that I can see why they did it, it is very effective in establishing the ghost as angry and hostile. And the bit when you get into the kitchen and the ghost just goes nuts throwing everything everywhere is excellent.

I don't know how well it comes across in video form for those who haven't played it, but those bits where a light shatters as you get near it or the clock chimes as you walk past are the best kind of jump scares, because not only do they startle you but they also build the atmosphere and give you a deeper sense that there really is something there that wants to harm you, and you're constantly wondering whether the next jump scare is actually going to be something attacking you.

Also, since you very wisely avoided touching it, I'll just mention that that blue ghostly fire will definitely burn you and it really hurts. I'm not sure if it's instadeath or if it just does a lot of damage, but touching it is a really bad idea.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

For such an old game, the suspense is really effective.

The flying debris seems near impossible to dodge. Though debris and the spectral fire cause damage, the fact that you're basically immortal seems to diminish the sense of ultimate danger.

Other than annoyance and creep factor, why would an undying vampire be afraid of ghosts?

Edit: I'm glad the wife found time to write down her last minute musings as husband Ed was getting his Jack Torrance on.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 3, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Automatic Slim posted:

Though debris and the spectral fire cause damage, the fact that you're basically immortal seems to diminish the sense of ultimate danger.

To be fair, you're a very new vampire with basically no idea what ghosts can and can't do, and there are a couple of spots in the hotel where you can die very easily. That falling lift is one, and the spectral fire can get you if you don't stop in time when it appears in front of you.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

Tiggum posted:

Oh my god, you missed the best bit! Before you try to climb the staircase you can explore the ground floor a little bit. Down one corridor you'll find nothing but locked doors, but as you get near the end the girl's voice behind you whispers "He's coming!". You turn around and there's a guy with an axe standing there, but just for a moment before he fades away. Like everything else in this location, it's really well done.

I think I only discovered that my second time through and it scared the poo poo out of me.

The Hotel, in general, finds a new way to gently caress with me every time I play this game. There are ways to skip sections if you are cunning/agile enough, but it's amazing/wonderful/terrifying that it still gets a strong reactions every time. Good work, Troika. :allears:

edit: It was also interesting playing through this again after having read through Wraith. Felt much more like a duel of spirits.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Automatic Slim posted:

The flying debris seems near impossible to dodge. Though debris and the spectral fire cause damage, the fact that you're basically immortal seems to diminish the sense of ultimate danger.

Other than annoyance and creep factor, why would an undying vampire be afraid of ghosts?

Edit: I'm glad the wife found time to write down her last minute musings as husband Ed was getting his Jack Torrance on.

You can die very well in that section. First time I played through I was squashed by the falling elevator. So long for being immortal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dariusknight
Jul 8, 2012

Automatic Slim posted:

Because technically (although in this game it's not mentioned or referred to) all ghosts are considered Wraiths, and Wraiths absolutely HATE the Kindred since they're dead yet still walk the earth in a mortal shell and Wraiths are the spirits of the dead that have passed into the Umbra (the spirit lands (there's multiple levels to it and tl;dr)) but can with greater or lesser difficulty, interact with the real world. Vampires should be VERY afraid of ghosts because once they achieve Final Death, they end up as prison bitches in the Umbra for being damned.

• Locked thread