Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
The new Subscriber item is a dragon pet that floats around above you.

...And the new DPS meta is to wear a Coney Island Band :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Cheston posted:

And use leeching frenzy or something to trigger it, or only for leech builds?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

And use leeching frenzy or something to trigger it, or only for leech builds?

Immortal Spirit (with 10.4 glyphs) will give you a constantly ticking heal effect, so with 250-300 crit rating to reliably proc the band, it becomes a stronger version of Brawler. Amusingly, this makes having a Violence (and the Violence-equivalent 1.7 signet) worth it, to offset having a non-DPS talisman equipped. Between those two, 10.5 talismans, and the Attack Rating augment, you can stay at 4k AR and your base damage drops maybe 1-3%.

This is very silly and it is all going to crash down horribly if/when Elemental Force is nerfed, but there's no wasted gear investment if you leech heal.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

What's a Coney Island Band?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Loot from the raid: http://wiki.crygaia.com/view/Coney_Island_Band

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Wait...stop the presses and hold everything. There is loot other than the Mark of the Starspawn?

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
I think he's talking about the Broadway Charm.

Just kidding I have all the raid loot. Why do I have all the raid loot?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Frankenstein Dad posted:

I think he's talking about the Broadway Charm.

Just kidding I have all the raid loot. Why do I have all the raid loot?

I have two Mark of the Starspawns :( I don't even think raid loot is a thing anymore. I gave up raiding when I was only getting worthless currency.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Cheston posted:

Why do you think I wanted it way back when? Not for healing, that's for sure. Coney Island Band = insane Transfuse crits!

Space Fixer: AHEAD OF THE METAGAME

Amante fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 2, 2014

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Sorry for a question that's surely been asked too many times to count, but didn't see it in the last few pages:

The game always looked interesting to me pre-release. I gather from the last couple pages that there's no real goon presence, but regardless of that is the game worth buying and playing through for the story / quest design? And if it is worth it, do I spring for the standard edition or the Massive edition. They're on sale for $15 and $30 respectively, for another 10 minutes but if I miss the sale I'll probably just wait until they go on sale again in the future. Worth it at that price?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

regulargonzalez posted:

Sorry for a question that's surely been asked too many times to count, but didn't see it in the last few pages:

The game always looked interesting to me pre-release. I gather from the last couple pages that there's no real goon presence, but regardless of that is the game worth buying and playing through for the story / quest design? And if it is worth it, do I spring for the standard edition or the Massive edition. They're on sale for $15 and $30 respectively, for another 10 minutes but if I miss the sale I'll probably just wait until they go on sale again in the future. Worth it at that price?

Standard edition is worth it, yes. Also good summary of people's thoughts on the matter.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

I think the game is worth the full price, even the massive edition. You get the fantastic story content plus the issues that lead in to Tokyo. If it is on sale, total gravy.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

HughGRect posted:

I think the game is worth the full price, even the massive edition. You get the fantastic story content plus the issues that lead in to Tokyo. If it is on sale, total gravy.

If massive includes the issues, absolutely get that.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

GEMorris posted:

If massive includes the issues, absolutely get that.

It says it includes issues 5, 6, and 7 along with a bunch of starter weapons and miscellaneous stuff like that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

regulargonzalez posted:

It says it includes issues 5, 6, and 7 along with a bunch of starter weapons and miscellaneous stuff like that.

5, 6, and 7 are the good issues. Issue 8 is pretty much poo poo unless you hit end game and like sperging out.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Len posted:

5, 6, and 7 are the good issues. Issue 8 is pretty much poo poo unless you hit end game and like sperging out.

Thanks for the info, price went back up so I'll just wait until it goes on sale; have enough new games from the Steam sale to keep me busy for awhile so I'll just be patient.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

regulargonzalez posted:

Thanks for the info, price went back up so I'll just wait until it goes on sale; have enough new games from the Steam sale to keep me busy for awhile so I'll just be patient.
Have a trial key anyway, so you can see if you like it LR54Q2YD2BUMDDZUTZGW

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Zephonith posted:

Have a trial key anyway, so you can see if you like it LR54Q2YD2BUMDDZUTZGW

Hey thanks!

e: er, where do I enter this? The official website wants cc info before letting me download, and Steam doesn't recognize the key

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

regulargonzalez posted:

Hey thanks!

e: er, where do I enter this? The official website wants cc info before letting me download, and Steam doesn't recognize the key

If you've created a profile on the official site there should be an "enter key" thing in the bar on the left I think. I can't say for sure because I'm phone posting.

Edit: Turns out the site works on my phone - "enter key" box is at the very bottom left of the page.

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 3, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
A friend of mine has decided to end the Christmas event by summoning five Super Hels in a row.

It's Super Hell, all right.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
There must be some sort of method of jump-summoning or the like with the Hel stuff, for days there has been a group in particular that would just summon for hours and hours.

I mean, sure there are legit ways and all that jazz - but come on.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Marx posted:

There must be some sort of method of jump-summoning or the like with the Hel stuff, for days there has been a group in particular that would just summon for hours and hours.

I mean, sure there are legit ways and all that jazz - but come on.
Hey chain summoning was the best part about the halloween event, why would you hate that :shobon:

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

orcane posted:

Hey chain summoning was the best part about the halloween event, why would you hate that :shobon:

Because I wasn't around to profit off all the bags. :(

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
A friend got me this for christmas and with the game having a unique setting I'm half tempted to see if this has some kind of horrible 'Club Caprice' RPing nest, would it be worth rolling onto Arcadia to see if such a thing exists?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Krakatoah posted:

A friend got me this for christmas and with the game having a unique setting I'm half tempted to see if this has some kind of horrible 'Club Caprice' RPing nest, would it be worth rolling onto Arcadia to see if such a thing exists?

Every now and then you can find something funny in Tabula Rasa. It's a cheap hotel in London where all the rooms share the same chat channel. But you'd have to ask Cleretic where the RPers actually do things. I think that's the only RPer we have in these parts.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Len posted:

Every now and then you can find something funny in Tabula Rasa. It's a cheap hotel in London where all the rooms share the same chat channel. But you'd have to ask Cleretic where the RPers actually do things. I think that's the only RPer we have in these parts.

Guess I'll go see how deep the rabbit-hole goes! Can't possibly be any worse than what I've seen in any other game...I hope.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
There was that time Len got reported for harassment because we found an RP wedding right before raid time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Zephonith posted:

There was that time Len got reported for harassment because we found an RP wedding right before raid time.

The groom was a lucky man for marrying a bride who could see a unicorn. :colbert:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Krakatoah posted:

Guess I'll go see how deep the rabbit-hole goes! Can't possibly be any worse than what I've seen in any other game...I hope.

I rolled Arcadia way back when I first bought the game. The big tavern in London was a hotspot, but even then it wasn't really all that big of a deal. I never ran into anyone creepy and honestly had trouble running into anyone at all. Since I've come back this month, I don't think I've seen anyone RPing at all.

It's not really a big thing in this game. You might still find a few pockets of it out there, but there's nothing like the RP atmosphere in WoW has or anything like that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Krakatoah posted:

I'm sorry, but they're going to be too sane for your liking. you might occasionally see some sights, but most of the bad RPers on TSW are just people who don't read, and so gently caress up the lore in some way.

The usual brands are 'people who get into Ealdwic through means other than Agartha' (it's all blocked off and constantly shifts location, so getting in without ludicrous amounts of planning or a specific invite is basically impossible) and people who just, in general, don't get the Templars and think they're more benevolent and/or competent than they are.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Oh well, I'll be fine smashing zombies with my sledgehammer for the moment in any case!

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Zephonith posted:

I'm sad I missed this.

Also I've been bouncing Mumbles for other games at times, so if people need me for things I'm CourierNinetyTwo on Steam. Feel free to add me and then bother me for things.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I haven't played TSW in a long time, but I enjoyed the game. I still get the urge to log in and see whats new fairly often. I usually just end up idling in Argatha and logging off though.

I really enjoyed that first experience of killing a bunch of zombies and ghosts in a small town in Maine (iirc). I always felt that was the strongest element to TSW. The lore and backstory always matched up really well with the missions. It made a great experience that I always hope to find in other games I play, but they never come close.

I thought I would pop in here and see how the game's going. It's a shame it's taken such a downward spiral. Thinking about it, I guess it makes sense. Bugs would take ages to get fixed. The devs would do sh*tty things to fix issues and shrug angry players off. Quality of life improvements that were really obvious never got implemented. ElDorado was broken for the entire time I played.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

TracerM17 posted:

I haven't played TSW in a long time, but I enjoyed the game. I still get the urge to log in and see whats new fairly often. I usually just end up idling in Argatha and logging off though.

I really enjoyed that first experience of killing a bunch of zombies and ghosts in a small town in Maine (iirc). I always felt that was the strongest element to TSW. The lore and backstory always matched up really well with the missions. It made a great experience that I always hope to find in other games I play, but they never come close.

I thought I would pop in here and see how the game's going. It's a shame it's taken such a downward spiral. Thinking about it, I guess it makes sense. Bugs would take ages to get fixed. The devs would do sh*tty things to fix issues and shrug angry players off. Quality of life improvements that were really obvious never got implemented. ElDorado was broken for the entire time I played.

I still really enjoy the Solomon Island missions and general story (going back to it with Freeborn was even better). My only gripe about grinding an alt is gear issues. The missions are still good.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I've been thinking of giving this a shot again after stalling out very early on a year or two ago. I think my hangup last time was that I kept comparing it to other MMOs and really this time, I think I should just pretend that I'm playing a single player RPG like VtM: Bloodlines as it sounds like I can get a lot out of the game playing solo. Anyhow, one of the things that I kind of got hung up on was that the character creator seemed to press out some shoddy looking characters. Have they improved or made any changes to character creation to increase the options in face or body type?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Campbell posted:

I've been thinking of giving this a shot again after stalling out very early on a year or two ago. I think my hangup last time was that I kept comparing it to other MMOs and really this time, I think I should just pretend that I'm playing a single player RPG like VtM: Bloodlines as it sounds like I can get a lot out of the game playing solo. Anyhow, one of the things that I kind of got hung up on was that the character creator seemed to press out some shoddy looking characters. Have they improved or made any changes to character creation to increase the options in face or body type?

We've had horse heads for so long that I forgot there was a character creator. They put in a slider to let you increase/decrease character size, but I think that's the only non-clothing-related thing.

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?
I thought they put in a couple new hairstyles back in, what, issue 2 issue 3 or something? Past that, that's about it.

And still no tattoo parlor :/

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

New Game Director letter. Main thing is Tokyo, sometime between now and April.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cheston posted:

New Game Director letter. Main thing is Tokyo, sometime between now and April.

I'm straight up calling bullshit. Will return: April 2nd.

P.S.: Bladdddesssss Chaaaaaaossssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tilty posted:

The main focus of my work is to make sure that the game play always remains fun

F

quote:

I want to make sure that everybody feels they are an active part of The Secret World, and not just as players. We will keep listening to your feedback and add or prioritize those little things that make your life easier. Features like the pet inventory, the option to hide weapons, the giant FFA world raid monsters were all direct responses to things that you guys asked for.

1) I don't feel like I'm an active part at all anymore. Someone tell him that since I can't.
2) Why do they only listen to people worse than Cleretic?

quote:

As for the rest of 2014, let's see. As soon as you are done cleansing the current gate of its Filth for the Whispering Tide, the next and final phase of the event will occur. You will finally get to fight "Flappy". After months of having him knocking you off branches in Agartha it's time for pay back.

You can take on "Flappy" in an massive 60-man indoor raid fight, but whether you join the battle alone or with a team you will be rewarded as long as you participate. This fight will be available until Agartha has been fully reclaimed and the way to the Tokyo branch has been discovered.

They already did this. He goes down with just some Exquisite Corpse casts and time. 60-man raid? That sounds like a golem with less players. Fun.

Was Krampus the first event that didn't get extended because things were irreparably broken at launch?

Len fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 7, 2014

• Locked thread