Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

MSU's DBs looked really good. I know about Dennard but are there any other prospects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

swickles posted:

To be fair there is something funky with the field and it really seems to be affecting receivers routes. Instead of water they must have just sprayed astroglide everywhere.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I bet that loving hurt

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kirios posted:

I don't really think that highly of Petty as a prospect, so I fully expect Bortles to outplay him. The field isn't ideal but Bortles, while he has made some excellent throws, has also made some very boneheaded decisions.

I already experienced that with Case Keenum.

Ah well the worst thing you can do is start worrying about who your team is picking #1 right now. There's still a lot of testing to go. He's making bad decisions but right now the only thing I'm really noticing about Bortles is how hes driving off his back foot.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Doltos posted:

Ah well the worst thing you can do is start worrying about who your team is picking #1 right now. There's still a lot of testing to go. He's making bad decisions but right now the only thing I'm really noticing about Bortles is how hes driving off his back foot.
The footwork is the only really inconsistent thing I've seen. Also one of the INTs was a tipped pass and a great defensive catch.. the throw would have been on line otherwise.

He's not misreading the defense a lot or anything. He also hasn't shown much panic, he gets the ball out quick, he has a nice quick release, he throws well on the run, and the little miscues are possibly fixable because it comes back to the footwork. That's before even getting to his size and his arm strength.

There were a couple of plays where the Baylor defense had a free rusher and Bortles hung in, planted and fully followed through, knowing the hit was coming. I didn't see the 'shying from contact' throws that Bucky Brooks claims Blake makes under pressure. He let it rip, ready to be whalloped.

e: And having seen his zone read tonight I'll be interested to see how he performs at the combine, because I didn't see that from him all season. I mean they had zone read concepts in the offense but he amassed 50% of his total season rushing production in tonight's game.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 2, 2014

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
My favorite thing about Bortles is that there is almost a near perfect 50/50 split (at least in TFF) over whether its the best football name or worst football name. There is no middle ground.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
If a quarterback nicknamed Bort doesn't turn out to be at least decent I will be upset.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

swickles posted:

My favorite thing about Bortles is that there is almost a near perfect 50/50 split (at least in TFF) over whether its the best football name or worst football name. There is no middle ground.

It's the alliteration and the fact that his first name is Blake; it's too reminiscent of Blaine Gabbert.

If he was John Bortles or something he'd be perfectly fine.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
The alliteration makes it better for me. John Bortles isn't nearly as good as Blake Bortles.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Bortles and Manziel are head and shoulders above everyone else min this QB class

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Roasted Donut posted:

Bortles and Manziel are head and shoulders above everyone else min this QB class

Are you Todd McShay

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The Roethlisberger/Locker comparisons are pretty apt. His accuracy this game seems down but it obviously hasn't caused that much of an issue.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Emanuel Collective posted:

Are you Todd McShay

I remember Roasted having some type of gift for figuring this poo poo out, but that might be based on calling one guy good and a bunch of guys bad or something.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Grittybeard posted:

I remember Roasted having some type of gift for figuring this poo poo out, but that might be based on calling one guy good and a bunch of guys bad or something.

I'm right about everything in regard to the draft

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Roasted Donut posted:

I'm right about everything in regard to the draft

Didn't you hate the Leveon Bell pick?

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

swickles posted:

Didn't you hate the Leveon Bell pick?

i'm right about everything in the first round, ESPECIALLY QBs

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Why are you so down on Bridgewater? From what I've seen he has good mobility and his accuracy/touch is Peytonesque. If my team weren't starting the greatest QB of all time I'd want Teddy for my very own.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Grittybeard posted:

It's called watching dudes be rad and ignoring whatever the gently caress draft people say

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
He's a lame rear end geno smith rear end loser who played for turd rear end louisville in the worst conference in the country

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Groucho Marxist posted:

It's called watching dudes be rad and ignoring whatever the gently caress draft people say

this is why i called cam newton being ownage as hell and laughing like a fiend at all the idiots on this forum drooling over blaine gabbert

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
If that's the criteria we're using then what the gently caress are you talking about?

Teddy Bridgewater looks like a crimson Adonis in those great Louisville uniforms. Also, his name is TEDDY BRIDGEWATER

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

If that's the criteria we're using then what the gently caress are you talking about?

Teddy Bridgewater looks like a crimson Adonis in those great Louisville uniforms. Also, his name is TEDDY BRIDGEWATER

You should have your eyes checked.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The whitest name since Benedict Cumberbatch.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Gerty posted:

The whitest name since Benedict Cumberbatch.

which is funny because he's black

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Bortles needs to declare. His stock cannot possibly get any higher than it is now.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Febreeze posted:

which is funny because he's black

that makes it even worse

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Bridgewater could pass for Native American :shrug:

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

bhsman posted:

It's the alliteration and the fact that his first name is Blake; it's too reminiscent of Blaine Gabbert.

If he was John Bortles or something he'd be perfectly fine.

"Johnny Bortles" is terrible though.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Bortles is a pretty bad name.

Teddy Bridgewater is objectively the best name in football with Terrance Broadway shortly behind. Look for Broadway to be the first pick in next year's draft.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I have a personal bias for Chuckie Keeton but Kolton Browning is pretty fantastic too. His name is practically two guns, for Gods sake!

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
The best thing about Bortles is that I've never heard of him until today. Also, obviously you take Teddy with the first pick.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Roasted Donut posted:

this is why i called cam newton being ownage as hell and laughing like a fiend at all the idiots on this forum drooling over blaine gabbert

Settle down beavis

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

The best thing about Bortles is that I've never heard of him until today. Also, obviously you take Teddy with the first pick.

Who fits Bill O' Brien's offense better? Teddy or JFF?

E: I ask because I'm unfamiliar with anything he's ever done other than momentarily unfuck Penn State

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

John Brown posted:

E: I ask because I'm unfamiliar with anything he's ever done other than momentarily unfuck Penn State

O'Brien has worked with Hackenburg and Brady, both of whom are pocket passers, so I'd assume Bridgewater would be the more natural fit.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Texans should take Clowney because O'Brien can turn Keenum in to a pro bowler anyways

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
You're a weird dude, but any plan that leads to more Keenum unleashing the dragon is okay in my book.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Ironically Yates might do well under O'Brien; really, I just want an excuse to draft Clowney. :shobon:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

John Brown posted:

Bortles

Someone posted tweets about Bortles going 1st overall up thread

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

DOOP posted:

Bortles

Someone posted tweets about Bortles going 1st overall up thread

He had a good, not great, showing tonight and while I think he's solidified himself as a round 1-2 guy he's not going before Bridgewater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

He is easily in the 2nd-4th QB range, depending on if Hundley comes out or not.

• Locked thread