Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't understand why the minimum wage isn't permanently indexed to inflation (or, for that matter, deflation).

You probably wouldn't want to a minimum wage to deflation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I don't understand why the minimum wage isn't permanently indexed to inflation (or, for that matter, deflation).

It is tied to inflation in many states or cities, but it tends to get shot down federally. Tieing to deflation at well gets avoided because no good can come of that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It just seems like the exact sort of absolute no-brainer that everyone would support except politicians (who want the issue to fight over again every few years). Index it to the same cost of living measure we use for social security.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Lycus posted:

Maybe I'm just a negative nancy, but I'm waiting to see how the successful the Republicans are at convincing people that min wage hikes will just cause unemployment to skyrocket.

Places with the highest minimum wages have the lowest unemployment. It's an easy, digestible fact hat justifies the thing people already want.

The biggest issue with democratic policies is selling them, they're usually too complex to explain easily which is why you end up with Obamacare hatred (but explaining bits and pieces of the ACA ends up with approval). Minimum wage increases don't require much elaboration. You get more money. The places that do this have lower unemployment.

Republicans are great at taking over messaging for stuff that's hard to explain, or they get to beat people to the punch. Trickle down economics is with us today because a popular dude explained a simple concept. Not because it works. A minimum wage increase falls under this principle.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

It just seems like the exact sort of absolute no-brainer that everyone would support except politicians (who want the issue to fight over again every few years). Index it to the same cost of living measure we use for social security.

I think it's that getting a minimum wage increase through Congress has always been a struggle, and usually required peeling off a few people who would rather not through earmarks or the like. Those people both want to maintain their leverage and aren't really so gung-ho about the idea they want it done permanently.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Going to play eternal skeptic again: if the Dems need the most to win in areas that are more suburban and upscale (your Philly mainline, Grosse Pointe, suburban Charlotte and RDU example), will a hike in the minimum wage matter that much?

I'm under the impression that 2006 was won mostly due to Bush incompetence and Iraq, not low-wage worker issues.

I really have no clue how you fix the current ACA disadvantage among these groups.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

De Nomolos posted:

Going to play eternal skeptic again: if the Dems need the most to win in areas that are more suburban and upscale (your Philly mainline, Grosse Pointe, suburban Charlotte and RDU example), will a hike in the minimum wage matter that much?

I'm under the impression that 2006 was won mostly due to Bush incompetence and Iraq, not low-wage worker issues.

I really have no clue how you fix the current ACA disadvantage among these groups.

If you play big on the minimum wage increase, you're probably betting on losing a few suburban votes but more than making up for it by driving up absysmal lower-class turnout. Also, there are more people making less than $10/hr or whatever than ever, yay!

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

FMguru posted:

Raising the minimum wage is broadly popular across the electorate (including among Republicans) and it's something that has the potential to mobilize phlegmatic Democratic base voters who don't usually vote in a midterm election, as well as attract independents.

It's been so long since I've seen Democrats threaten to actually mobilize their base voters with policies they might like that I've forgotten what it looked like.

I'm willing to bet that this oft-cited GOP support of a minimum wage hike drops off a cliff when the survey prompt changes from "Do you want to see the minimum wage increased?" to "Democrats are proposing an increase in the minimum wage, do you support this?"

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

De Nomolos posted:

What Dems really need is their voters who usually only turn out for presidential elections to actually turn out for the mid-term, and that's a demographic that skews heavily to the poor side.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Amused to Death posted:

What Dems really need is their voters who usually only turn out for presidential elections to actually turn out for the mid-term, and that's a demographic that skews heavily to the poor side.

The other side of it is the electorate will most likely fall somewhere between 2010's and 2008's demographically, so any bump in Dem turnout will help.

Of course gerrymandering and incumbent advantage pretty much means there won't be much movement either way, but that's not new info.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Somebody isn't a Job Creator, I see.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Waterbed posted:

Places with the highest minimum wages have the lowest unemployment. It's an easy, digestible fact hat justifies the thing people already want.

States with a higher minimum wage than the federal rate have somewhat higher unemployment rates on average.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Install Windows posted:

They raised it once. The phase in steps from 5.15 to 7.25 don't count as individual raises.

Do you have more information for this?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Do you have more information for this?

110th Congress (2007-2008)
H.R.2.EAS

In the Senate of the United States,

February 1, 2007.

Resolved, That the bill from the House of Representatives (H.R. 2) entitled `An Act to amend the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 to provide for an increase in the Federal minimum wage.', do pass with the following

AMENDMENT:

Strike out all after the enacting clause and insert:
TITLE I--FAIR MINIMUM WAGE

SEC. 100. SHORT TITLE.

This title may be cited as the `Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2007'.

SEC. 101. MINIMUM WAGE.

(a) In General- Section 6(a)(1) of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 (29 U.S.C. 206(a)(1)) is amended to read as follows:

`(1) except as otherwise provided in this section, not less than--

`(A) $5.85 an hour, beginning on the 60th day after the date of enactment of the Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2007;

`(B) $6.55 an hour, beginning 12 months after that 60th day; and

`(C) $7.25 an hour, beginning 24 months after that 60th day;'.

(b) Effective Date- The amendment made by subsection (a) shall take effect 60 days after the date of enactment of this Act.

(irrelevant following sections cut out for brevity)

If I remember right, this text was actually passed as an amendment on a defense bill at the end.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rep. Steve Stockman (R-TX and the biggest troll in Congress) becomes the first national politician to accept bitcoin for his Senate primary campaign against John Cornyn (R-TX).

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Install Windows posted:

110th Congress (2007-2008)
H.R.2.EAS

In the Senate of the United States,

February 1, 2007.

Resolved, That the bill from the House of Representatives (H.R. 2) entitled `An Act to amend the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 to provide for an increase in the Federal minimum wage.', do pass with the following

AMENDMENT:

Strike out all after the enacting clause and insert:
TITLE I--FAIR MINIMUM WAGE

SEC. 100. SHORT TITLE.

This title may be cited as the `Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2007'.

SEC. 101. MINIMUM WAGE.

(a) In General- Section 6(a)(1) of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 (29 U.S.C. 206(a)(1)) is amended to read as follows:

`(1) except as otherwise provided in this section, not less than--

`(A) $5.85 an hour, beginning on the 60th day after the date of enactment of the Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2007;

`(B) $6.55 an hour, beginning 12 months after that 60th day; and

`(C) $7.25 an hour, beginning 24 months after that 60th day;'.

(b) Effective Date- The amendment made by subsection (a) shall take effect 60 days after the date of enactment of this Act.

(irrelevant following sections cut out for brevity)

If I remember right, this text was actually passed as an amendment on a defense bill at the end.

Wow holy poo poo they really did just do it in one bill. Goddamn. Anyways, now that it's actually 2014, it's time for the crazy to ramp up. CNN probably has already started the horse trading.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Wow holy poo poo they really did just do it in one bill. Goddamn. Anyways, now that it's actually 2014, it's time for the crazy to ramp up. CNN probably has already started the horse trading.

Yeah it's standard practice for minimum wage bills. You just can't get a sudden jump passed , but phasing it in over a few years plays well with the neccesary power bases.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Install Windows posted:

Yeah it's standard practice for minimum wage bills. You just can't get a sudden jump passed , but phasing it in over a few years plays well with the neccesary power bases.

They just out-inflate it anyway. "poo poo! All the money is stuck in the bank! Please please print more!"

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Joementum posted:

Rep. Steve Stockman (R-TX and the biggest troll in Congress) becomes the first national politician to accept bitcoin for his Senate primary campaign against John Cornyn (R-TX).

I am sure the FEC will love that.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Joementum posted:

Can't wait til he is only able to afford to advertise on Dwolla or RonPaulForums.com.

I'm going to run for office and only accept donations in the form of K rations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Mooseontheloose posted:

I am sure the FEC will love that.

The FEC apparently HAS issued rules on accepting Bitcoin--the key part here is they do have to be cashed out to and declared as dollars.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

api call girl posted:

The FEC apparently HAS issued rules on accepting Bitcoin--the key part here is they do have to be cashed out to and declared as dollars.

So it's impossible for him to do this legally, then.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

So it's impossible for him to do this legally, then.

Nah, all he needs to do is buy a shopping bag full of Amazon giftcards and hock them.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
David Waddell has resigned from the town board of Indian Trail, N.C. by submitting a resignation letter written in Klingon.

quote:

In an interview Thursday, Waddell said his resignation letter to Mayor Michael Alvarez was written in Klingon, the language of a proud warrior race in the “Star Trek” TV shows and movies, as an inside joke. But in case the mayor wasn’t up to speed with his Klingon, Waddell included a translation using Bing.com.

Waddell ended his four-sentence resignation letter by paraphrasing a Klingon proverb: “Perhaps today is a good day (to) resign.”

But as exciting as mid-sized-town politics in North Carolina obviously are, Waddell resigned in part to conduct a write-in campaign as the Constitution Party alternative to Kay Hagan for US Senate. Of course, bISeH'eghlaH'be'chugh latlh Dara'laH'be'

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Now yer just puttin' on airs.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Alter Ego posted:

Soon Scott Brown will claim every major Northeast city as his home. :getin:

Or he'll move to Texas, like Bush.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Well looks like Kasich might have a Tea Party primary challenger now over expanding Medicaid? Now if Husted could be out on his rear end this November as well...

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

David Waddell has resigned from the town board of Indian Trail, N.C. by submitting a resignation letter written in Klingon.

But as exciting as mid-sized-town politics in North Carolina obviously are, Waddell resigned in part to conduct a write-in campaign as the Constitution Party alternative to Kay Hagan for US Senate. Of course, bISeH'eghlaH'be'chugh latlh Dara'laH'be'

Considering the Republican primary's likely to head to a runoff, seems a waste for such a strong candidate to go with a lesser novelty joke party.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

It's a 55%+ GOP district, but if anyone can win it, it's a popular wealthy gay American Idol:

http://gawker.com/get-ready-for-cla...dium=socialflow

quote:

Clay Aiken is a bored, rich person so he might as well consider running for office. That, according to the Washington Blade, is precisely an idea the 35-year-old singer has started to put in motion in recent months. From American Idol winner to... the gay Al Franken?

Per the report by Chris Johnson, Aiken — who was born in Raleigh – is considering running for a house seat in North Carolina's second congressional district. He has reportedly made "phone calls to gauge support," commissioned polling, and consulted with a number of "political operatives," including a veteran North Carolina advisor named Betsy Conti.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Considering that North Carolina passed a marriage amendment in May 2012, it might be a place where being gay could hurt a candidate.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Scotty McCreery would probably fare better, but it'd cut into his busy schedule hawking Bojangles and winning Howdy Doody lookalike contests.

Now that Mel Watt got the FHFA gig, maybe Fantasia Barrino can run in the 12th.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Considering that North Carolina passed a marriage amendment in May 2012, it might be a place where being gay could hurt a candidate.

The dude who's raised the most money so far in the race for Watt's old seat is openly gay. And openly black.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 3, 2014

ufarn
May 30, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

Or being the place they passed Sharia law in an anti-Sharia bill.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

It depends on the (highly gerrymandered) district. The 3rd or 11th or 10th? Suicide (and yet PDA backed and fundraised for an atheist candidate in the 11th. Go figure). The 2nd sucks now, but it's got a lot of wealthy suburbs in there and it's the RDU market. It's about 55-45 GOP. There aren't any pickup opportunities in NC right now, but this is the closest.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

De Nomolos posted:

It depends on the (highly gerrymandered) district. The 3rd or 11th or 10th? Suicide (and yet PDA backed and fundraised for an atheist candidate in the 11th. Go figure). The 2nd sucks now, but it's got a lot of wealthy suburbs in there and it's the RDU market. It's about 55-45 GOP. There aren't any pickup opportunities in NC right now, but this is the closest.

The 2nd and 13th are potential pickups in 2016. Obama actually flipped whitebread Nash County last year, and nearly picked up Franklin in 2008.

Seriously doubt Aiken would run, but middle aged suburban white women love him, which couldn't hurt.

Adjunct Cheesecake
Mar 19, 2009

mmmmmm
Steve Lonegan, who lost the NJ Senate special election to Cory Booker, has decided to move to South Jersey to try and take John Runyan's seat:

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/01/lonegan_says_hell_run_for_congress.html#incart_river_default

The article is a good synopsis of NJ state-level politics in a nutshell: going back on campaign promises, carpetbagging, and petty infighting within parties. Does the Democratic candidate have a chance? Hell if I know.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Well looks like Kasich might have a Tea Party primary challenger now over expanding Medicaid? Now if Husted could be out on his rear end this November as well...

Kasich's war chest will allow him to murder this dude with impunity at any rate. And that's ignoring that the tea party in Ohio isn't suicidal like most branches. Republicans here like the slick wall street types over the true believers anyways, and Kasich has enough goodwill built up from the SB5, Jobs Ohio, and closed-room budget additions (anti-choice riders) that the Tea Party orthodoxy aren't going to pull out the long knives for him. Especially considering the Ds are putting up Fitzgerald who is coming from Cuyahoga County which will allow him to carry urban Cleveland, Columbus, and maybe Toledo, Youngstown, and Akron if he's lucky. Ohio elections are won in the suburbs though, and Kasich is far better for that fight than any tea party challenger, especially when you're dealing with a guy who got elected to be essentially the king of the biggest suburban county in Ohio. They're not going to ignore the money and organization Kasich has when they're dealing with someone like Fitz. This is symbolic, if that.

If the tea baggers go after anyone this year, it'll be Boehner. And that'll last all of five minutes for similar reasons to Kasich. Until Portman goes up in 2016 (same-sex marriage woes), they won't have much venom for anyone.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

ufarn posted:

Or being the place they passed Sharia law in an anti-Sharia bill.

Can you elaborate? I couldn't find any reference to this.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

I am not a book posted:

Can you elaborate? I couldn't find any reference to this.

Might be referring to the original provisions declaring the state had the right to declare an official religion and banning abortion which were struck from the final bill. The anti-abortion measures were later snuck into a motorcycle safety bill which led to #MotorcycleVagina becoming a thing on twitter.

e: No wait the religious establishment thing was from a separate bill around the same time. That was a whole blur of outlandish legislation.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Adjunct Cheesecake posted:

Steve Lonegan, who lost the NJ Senate special election to Cory Booker, has decided to move to South Jersey to try and take John Runyan's seat:

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/01/lonegan_says_hell_run_for_congress.html#incart_river_default

The article is a good synopsis of NJ state-level politics in a nutshell: going back on campaign promises, carpetbagging, and petty infighting within parties. Does the Democratic candidate have a chance? Hell if I know.

Lonegan's probably the most popular Republican within the Republican Party in that district, but he's going to have to run off both the Burlington and Ocean lines. Unless Burlington and Ocean unite on a candidate, he'll probably win but it'll be bloody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Probably won't be politically relevant, but if you enjoy juicy gossip, the Tampa Bay Times has you covered with an in-depth look at the late Bill Young's... first family.

I've lived in his district for almost 10 years and I had no idea he was married and raised a family for about 30 years before dumping them all for a 26-year-old secretary whom he had a child out of wedlock with (that'd be Bill Young II).

The most entertaining part of the article is, as I have come to learn in recent months, whenever that ex-secretary opens her mouth.

quote:

After Young's death, Beverly Young sent emails to a number of local politicians asking them to stay away from her husband's funeral.

The list included former Gov. Charlie Crist and Jessica Ehrlich, whose father was the lawyer for Marian Young during the divorce, and who sought Young's seat (and lost) in 2012.

Beverly Young told the Times the congressman himself had told her to keep those people away from his service.

The emails horrified Terry Young and his sisters [the kids from Young's first marriage].

"He would never, ever say that," Terry said. "That's why people liked him. He was always above the fray."

[...]

Beverly Young said her husband underwent multiple surgeries, including heart bypass surgery in 1996, without hearing from Terry Young or his sisters. Over the years the congressman also had surgery for a slipped disc, a kidney stone and gallbladder removal.

Terry Young said he and his sisters were told about his father's open-heart surgery only a couple of days beforehand and he wasn't informed of any other times that his father was sick.

To Beverly Young, Terry has come forward now because he "is trying to get rid of his guilt for being a horrible son."

"They are going to use the media to try to get back at me," she said. "It's been 30 years and it's a joke. He had nothing to do with them and he wanted nothing to do with them after he tried in the beginning. He would tell me to tell you they are not his family."

Young even once claimed that he "never had a son named Terry," his wife said.

Mrs. Young, 58, said she has wondered if her husband's first children resent her for being younger than they are.

Asked whether any photos of Young's first family were included in the photo montage at his funeral, Mrs. Young replied: "Hell, no. Why would I do that? Why should they be? They played no part in his life whatsoever. Consider that courtesy of me."

After that interview, Beverly Young, who is often outspoken about issues she feels passionately about, emailed the Times questioning this story.

"I have a hard time believing after a 30 year loving, successful marriage you would attempt to make Bill's life and marriage to me look anything less than it was," she wrote.

" … It's sad, that after thirty years (Marian Young) still can't accept the fact that he never loved her. … She attempted to make him stay in a loveless marriage by having her children, but once they were out of his home and grown adults he wanted to experience real love, life and happiness. And that's what we did. We did it when, where and how we wanted to."

That's cold, Beverly. Real cold.

In related news, early voting for the GOP primary is about to begin in Young's old district. David Jolly (Beverly's and Bob Barker's pick) vs. Kathleen Peters (Bill Young II's pick) and... some other guy who isn't going to win.

A reminder that whoever wins the primary will go against Alex Sink in March. If Sink wins the special election, I'm getting more and more of a feeling that Beverly Young herself will try and unseat Sink in November.

• Locked thread