Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Joementum posted:

Keep in mind: he's paid $30m/yr for that.

I have decided to preserve my sanity by translating that as "millidollars".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Happy New Year and Breitbart is losing their poo poo on Lawmegeddon

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Keeping the placenta is bad? But keeping your dead fetus is...?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Keep in mind: he's paid $30m/yr for that.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Here is their "article" on California or as many commenters call it Kalifornia

quote:

As 2014 is just a day away, new laws have been crafted for Californians to adhere to. Here are just a few blessed laws and regulations that will come into effect in 2014:

Transgender Rights: We will all sleep a little better at night knowing that students in grades K-12 who identify as transgender will be able to use the school bathrooms of their choosing as long as it is “consistent with their gender identity,” even if it is different than their gender at birth. Students will also be able to select whether they want to be on the boys team or the girls team based on their “gender identity.”

On Campus Smoking: Men wearing dresses to class with earrings in their noses is no problem, but don’t get caught inhaling a Camel walking to your next exam. All 10 University of California campuses will be smoke-free starting Jan. 1, 2014. The ban includes all tobacco products. Sorry, e-cigarettes count; they are also banned.

Minimum Wage: Based on the Bureau of Labor Statistics, by state California is ranked 46th in the nation in unemployment rates, weighing in at 8.5%. This has not deterred the state from increasing the minimum wage by one dollar to $9.00/hr, which will kick in on July 1, 2014. Critics argue that raising the minimum wage often prompts employers to reduce staff to keep up with labor overhead.

Search Warrants: This might be renamed the vampire law: A driver suspected of DUI who refuses to submit to or fails to complete a blood test can be served a search warrant to draw blood in a “reasonable, medically approved manner.” This law went into effect Sept. 20.

Breitbart loves using quotation marks around things they don't like.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

As 2014 is just a day away, new laws have been crafted for Californians to adhere to. Here are just a few blessed laws and regulations that will come into effect in 2014:

[list of good things]

Freedom is Dead!! :supaburn:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Wearing clothes, jewelry: OK
Burning carcinogens in a public place: somehow not OK, America???

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Is that 46th best or worst?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Oh no the single greatest threat to freedom: nose rings :gonk:

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

quiggy stardust posted:

Oh no the single greatest threat to freedom: nose rings men wearing dresses :gonk:

Based on the 'kindergarten transgender' outrage I think this is more appropriate.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

aBagorn posted:

Based on the 'kindergarten transgender' outrage I think this is more appropriate.

The hate and bigotry they have for lesbians and gays does not even come close to their hate on trans* issues.

A taste of comments

quote:

ShadowMosesatArea51 • 30 minutes ago −
If a child thinks their transgender their parents need a public beating for extremely poor parenting, and the equivalent of child molestation.

EddieInFL • 2 hours ago −
why not just send the little faqqot mutants off to some island where they can all live together in harmony. These are people who can't make it any other way, so get them out of the way

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

Rochallor posted:

Is that 46th best or worst?

From http://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm - 46th as in almost the highest unemployment rate.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The hate and bigotry they have for lesbians and gays does not even come close to their hate on trans* issues.

A taste of comments

Reminder that the murder rate among trans people, especially trans women, is dismally high. I'm otherwise a completely white bread individual but because I'm a trans woman there's somewhere around a 10% chance that I'll die at the hands of someone else.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I kind of want to ask those kinds of people why exactly they think the existence of trans* people matters to their lives in any way. I mean, I sure as hell can't think of any reason it matters to me, except that there's a class of people who arbitrarily face discrimination and murder, and since I try to be a decent human being I'd rather that not happen.

I love how whenever conservatives complain about it they immediately go to images of guys going into women's dressing rooms and bathrooms. Not unlike the homophobes who seem to be a little too interested in the details of buttsex, they may be revealing more about themselves than they realize.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

quiggy stardust posted:

Reminder that the murder rate among trans people, especially trans women, is dismally high. I'm otherwise a completely white bread individual but because I'm a trans woman there's somewhere around a 10% chance that I'll die at the hands of someone else.

If there is any solace on that topic, it seems like societal acceptance has accelerated in the last few decades compared to the tortoise-like pace of racial civil rights and woman's suffrage. Obviously some groups are far slower in this regard and there have been some speedbumps along the way, but coming from the 70's/80's and the big pushback against gay marriage in the 90's I'm fairly surprised at how quick society's turnaround has been on the acceptance of gay rights and hope that makes you a little optimistic for your own plight.

Guilty Spork posted:

I kind of want to ask those kinds of people why exactly they think the existence of trans* people matters to their lives in any way. I mean, I sure as hell can't think of any reason it matters to me, except that there's a class of people who arbitrarily face discrimination and murder, and since I try to be a decent human being I'd rather that not happen.

I love how whenever conservatives complain about it they immediately go to images of guys going into women's dressing rooms and bathrooms. Not unlike the homophobes who seem to be a little too interested in the details of buttsex, they may be revealing more about themselves than they realize.

My SO's tea party father framed this as a horrific issue of sexual deviancy that will result in mass rape and crime, I guess as a means to shield his extremely bigoted opinions on gays/trans/not-affluent-and-white people. He didn't take kindly to me wondering how someone sitting in the bathroom stall would impact him in any way, or how bathrooms as they currently are prevent any form of rape. The fallback argument is his favorite "when you have a young daughter you'll understand" which stems from his massive fear and paranoia of anything different inevitably resulting in the rape and death of young women. :confused:

esto es malo fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 1, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Refried Hero posted:

From http://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm - 46th as in almost the highest unemployment rate.

I wonder how much of that is having a relatively long unemployment insurance payout period. For example NC's UE rate dropped 1.5% in a few months after the state kicked half the people off unemployment, and the labor force participation rate fell at twice the nationwide rate.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

comes along bort posted:

I wonder how much of that is having a relatively long unemployment insurance payout period. For example NC's UE rate dropped 1.5% in a few months after the state kicked half the people off unemployment, and the labor force participation rate fell at twice the nationwide rate.

Am I interpreting you correctly as saying their UE dropped but basically because those people were removed from the "workforce" entirely? I know LFPR is calculated using people actively searching for employment or employed at the time, but this seems like a fairly believable factor in the much touted UE rate reduction due to low min wage. Someone posted some lovely blog yesterday that mentioned how New England states are generally lower than the national UE average rate while having higher minimum wage, compared to IL/CA and a few other states with poor UE. I never thought to compare the unemployment benefit lengths, even if they are far from the only factor.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

joeburz posted:

The fallback argument is his favorite "when you have a young daughter you'll understand"

This is such a dumbass argument. Older relatives are always like "when you have kids, you'll understand" or "you just don't know what it's like to protect your daughter".

If it helps, my dad was pro-life until he had my sister and I, then he realized that strict anti-abortion and anti-contraception laws could easily ruin our lives. Having daughters made him a feminist :3

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

joeburz posted:

"when you have a young daughter you'll understand"

The risky but potentially satisfying retort here is, "what if my child is trans?"

Ed:

SedanChair posted:

Only if you're satisfied by "beat them until they're not."

Thus the risk.

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 1, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Chantilly Say posted:

The risky but potentially satisfying retort here is, "what if my child is trans?"

Only if you're satisfied by "beat them until they're not."

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

I fully expect that any "defects" in his mind will somehow be OK if his grandchild ends up that way, much like how GOP congresspeople end up supporting gay rights once their child comes out(provided they aren't an archlich incapable of compassion on any level like Cheney).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

joeburz posted:

I fully expect that any "defects" in his mind will somehow be OK if his grandchild ends up that way, much like how GOP congresspeople end up supporting gay rights once their child comes out(provided they aren't an archlich incapable of compassion on any level like Cheney).

Cheney was capable of it though? That is basically his only redeeming feature.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

PUGGERNAUT posted:

This is such a dumbass argument. Older relatives are always like "when you have kids, you'll understand" or "you just don't know what it's like to protect your daughter".

Just tell them "if you can't explain it, you don't understand it either." But good luck pulling that on a parent.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
It's the same as people who say "you'd understand if you took ECON101". Just a lazy cop-out argument that assumes their stance is 100% right, and that you're simply too dumb to understand how deep and complex the stance of "gently caress the poors" is. If someone ever busts out either gem in a debate, I'll tell them that if they supposedly know so much from their unique life experiences, then that they should be able to easily shut down my argument.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

nm posted:

Cheney was capable of it though? That is basically his only redeeming feature.

Did he ever support gay marriage? I don't consider a "gays are ok but they shouldn't marry" to be anything other than hollow support.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

joeburz posted:

Did he ever support gay marriage? I don't consider a "gays are ok but they shouldn't marry" to be anything other than hollow support.

quote:

Cheney said that the situation was difficult for the family, but declined to go any further about the issue of gay marriage. “That’s as far as I’m going to go on the subject,” he said to his interviewer. “Don’t waste your time.”

Read more: Dick Cheney Surprised by Backlash to Daughter's Gay Marriage Comments | TIME.com http://swampland.time.com/2013/12/04/dick-cheney-surprised-by-daughters-gay-marriage-spat/#ixzz2pCwQKQZH

Unsurprisingly it seems he never said anything about it.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Why the gently caress wouldn't mothers be allowed to take home the placenta? They loving produced it!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Why the gently caress wouldn't mothers be allowed to take home the placenta? They loving produced it!

Possible biohazard liability maybe.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

They'll eat it in a Wiccan ceremony and gain powers. Powers from Satan.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

joeburz posted:

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Cheney-breaks-rank-on-same-sex-marriage-Vice-2730894.php

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Boywhiz88 posted:

Possible biohazard liability maybe.

It's this. There are many situations where the placenta must get treated as biohazard, though it isn't all the time. Of course, most mothers don't want to bother with it so it rarely becomes an issue.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The placenta is as gross as any other bodily waste product produced by male or female bodies and wanting to take it home is weird. You could probably cook and eat a bunch of other stuff from the human body but you don't cause its gross and weird.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
Gross and Weird are usually good criteria for making things illegal.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Chances are 99.9999% of the people who are supes vocal about the placenta being important aren't in any way from one of the tiny primative cultures who thinks it's their kid's soul or whatever so it's just a bunch of witches and poo poo trying to be all 'in touch with nature' but are, at the best, just doing a gross thing for no reason, and at worst loving with a bio-hazard.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Burying the placenta and planting a tree above it is a thing some people do.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea people do a lot of dumb poo poo.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The placenta is as gross as any other bodily waste product produced by male or female bodies and wanting to take it home is weird. You could probably cook and eat a bunch of other stuff from the human body but you don't cause its gross and weird.

It is gross, but more gross like organs than waste. Unless your shits are full of veins and blood.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

PUGGERNAUT posted:

The "when your older argument" is a way old people try to end a conversation and try to keep their self respect when they have nothing to retort with. I often just let my mother "win" with that one and try not to strangle each other over holidays. It's the only way not to implode into a black hole of infinite frustration.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

It is gross, but more gross like organs than waste. Unless your shits are full of veins and blood.

Yeah that's a good analogy, what with people eating their own/others organs all the time, its totally normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Rexicon1 posted:

The "when your older argument" is a way old people try to end a conversation and try to keep their self respect when they have nothing to retort with. I often just let my mother "win" with that one and try not to strangle each other over holidays. It's the only way not to implode into a black hole of infinite frustration.

Eventually you get old enough that it doesn't work. But you have to get into your 30's, have a kid and a mortgage, cut checks to pay taxes, the usual trapping of full on adulthood.

It is sort of nice, because then people just agree to disagree.