Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Modders have made versions of it for the Simbin games, Race 07/GTR 2 etc and it's most likely available for rFactor as everything is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Megadyptes posted:

Modders have made versions of it for the Simbin games, Race 07/GTR 2 etc and it's most likely available for rFactor as everything is.

My googlefu is weak today, I can only find gp, national and international layouts for silverstone. I found a few posts with people asking for it on various forums but no downloads. Race 07 is super cheap at the moment so a track for that would be awesome but I looked through nogrip and the other places linked in this thread but no dice.

The only game that seems to have it is Gran Turismo 6, which doesn't seem to be for PC.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Wallrod posted:

It got a bit messy at the end there but holy :catstare:ing poo poo. I can only guess he's driven the hell out of that track in RBR to be able to do that without pace notes.

edit: I got AC in the recent flash sale on steam and the quality of the wheel feedback has ruined the other games i use a wheel with. I've only been playing GT5 otherwise lately, so it's no real competition, but the frustration from not being able to catch your car from a spin you could with better feedback is huge.

I agree, assetto feels amazing and the mp is going to be a blast.

Also, driving the lotus 49 on that track is ridiculous fun.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 1, 2014

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

CancerCakes posted:

My googlefu is weak today, I can only find gp, national and international layouts for silverstone. I found a few posts with people asking for it on various forums but no downloads. Race 07 is super cheap at the moment so a track for that would be awesome but I looked through nogrip and the other places linked in this thread but no dice.

The only game that seems to have it is Gran Turismo 6, which doesn't seem to be for PC.

Oh wait I'm wrong, got mixed up with the national circuit for some reason and being hungover. :downs:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

CancerCakes posted:

There's a beta version available for rFactor but from the comments it looks like it was never released, the creator might be willing to send you his file though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqMtOolcaMQ

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Well, I've been having a ton of fun with Assetto Corsa and my new G27, until I tried out the McLaren in there.

This stupid thing absolutely does not want to turn :psyduck:

I can handle the Zonda and F40 just fine with an auto and ABS as my only assists, but this thing is ridiculous. Am I doing something wrong?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Well, I've been having a ton of fun with Assetto Corsa and my new G27, until I tried out the McLaren in there.

This stupid thing absolutely does not want to turn :psyduck:

I can handle the Zonda and F40 just fine with an auto and ABS as my only assists, but this thing is ridiculous. Am I doing something wrong?

How do you have your FFB set up? I looked at a few posts on other forums, been playing with mine set up like this, might be worth a shot. Someone correct me if they're all hosed up though.

Make sure you have the degrees of rotation in AC set to 900.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 1, 2014

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Yep, did all that. It's only the McLaren that feels rear end. Just done driving the P4/5 on Imola and everything went smooth. But a McLaren at Silverstone? Ha! Seriously the P4/5 is fun as gently caress though.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Trail brake a lot with the McLaren to get the nose in.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I wonder if they're going to bother simulating its brake steer.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I finally got AC for Christmas and now it just makes me want to get a wheel more. First thing I did though was load in this track and bruteforce through it until I could finally make it to the bottom. My replay is way messier than his, but I managed 7:07.4.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Jehde posted:

I finally got AC for Christmas and now it just makes me want to get a wheel more. First thing I did though was load in this track and bruteforce through it until I could finally make it to the bottom. My replay is way messier than his, but I managed 7:07.4.

I honestly think Assetto feels better than iracing sometimes, at least running that road. Like a previous poster said, being able to correct a spin adds another element of fun.

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

Does anybody have anything bad to say about wheel stands in general?

I've been eyeballing this for a week or two. I've got a G27 that effectively sits in its box because I can't be bothered unpacking it to connect to the table whenever I feel like using it. Getting something like this looks like it'll be easier to store when I'm not using it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mootallica posted:

I've been eyeballing this for a week or two. I've got a G27 that effectively sits in its box because I can't be bothered unpacking it to connect to the table whenever I feel like using it. Getting something like this looks like it'll be easier to store when I'm not using it.

I had an earlier version and it was alright. It was wobbly as all get out but someone said they fixed that with the new version.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

That McLaren needs a lot earlier and harder braking than the other cars, due to the weight and massive horsepower (I think it is the street version instead of the GT3 version, so it has massive horsepower and basically nothing else--like the Ruf RWD vs. Track in iRacing).

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

CancerCakes posted:

Are there any sims that have the Stowe circuit at silverstone? I got a driving experience there for christmas and was thinking of trying it out.

iracing has it scanned, but gently caress knows when they will get around to actually building it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Since it has to replace a track they already have, they've pushed it to the back burner in order to work on tracks like Circuit of the Americas and Monza. Plus silverstone sucks anyway, so who cares.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Cojawfee posted:

Since it has to replace a track they already have, they've pushed it to the back burner in order to work on tracks like Circuit of the Americas and Monza. Plus silverstone sucks anyway, so who cares.
Clearly the best circuit is Knockhill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQKNRXogK-0

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Mootallica posted:

This was the first one I started looking at, but I have a big enough desk to mount it on as well as slide it over when not playing (see my post a few pages back): http://www.wheelstandpro.com/products/wheel-stand-pro-for-logitech-g25g27-racing-wheel---deluxe

Looks like it is a bit pricier than the one you linked, but it also looks like adjusting it is a bit easier since it is tension levers instead of allen wrench clasps. There's lots of Youtube reviews of the Wheel Stand Pros as well. I have no actual opinion of the product, however.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

Jehde posted:

What does "you need Richard Burns Rally to play it" mean on that website? Is this ported to AC, or not? Or does it use assets from RBR?

Edit: Sorry for double post. :(

Double Edit: From the readme: "If you do not own Richard Burns Rally and play this you are a bad person." Yeah, I guess it includes assets from another game.

Essobie fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 2, 2014

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Essobie posted:

What does "you need Richard Burns Rally to play it" mean on that website? Is this ported to AC, or not? Or does it use assets from RBR?

Edit: Sorry for double post. :(

Double Edit: From the readme: "If you do not own Richard Burns Rally and play this you are a bad person." Yeah, I guess it includes assets from another game.

You need to own RBR to legally play it. Else you're a bad person.

Everybody should own RBR anyway.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Isn't there an addon for rFactor which NEEDS a copy of GT Legends to source the gamedata from?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Falken posted:

Isn't there an addon for rFactor which NEEDS a copy of GT Legends to source the gamedata from?

Yeah. It has CD checks I believe. I want to say its "The Legends Series" or something like that.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I don't know if I would say the physics and handling in AC is better than iRacing. To me it feels a little bit gamey, especially in throttle response coming out of corners. It's so easy to gently caress a corner up in iRacing with the new tyre models on certain cars, whereas I can go full pelt in AC without ever having to worry about losing control. To me they're two different games. iRacing is when I want to put my serious face on, AC will be for fun racing where I don't have to worry about SR and all that other tripe.

Also to those who said the sub fee for iRacing isn't justified without ever playing it: It is. You pay them money to bring you extremely detailed tracks and cars whilst constantly pumping out major updates that improve the game in many significant ways. iRacing 2 years ago pales in comparison to how it is at present. You also don't just jump in the boat and buy everything at once. You really do need to master the types of cars (like getting to grips with the Skip before moving to the Star Mazda and beyond, or reeling in the CTS before making the jump to the V8 Ford) before progressing to another series, and that's what the licences encourage, but loads of people focus on their SR to bypass this and it tends to end up with poo poo races. Concentrate on iRating so you don't get left in shithouse splits with people that can't drive. Otherwise it will become frustrating in races. The MX-5 races are the most crash prone races on the service. iRacing is the sort of sim where you actually DO have to practice, and I can see that being too much of a time investment for a lot of people.

If you enjoy oval/NASCAR type races, then nothing beats iRacing.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 2, 2014

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Again, iRacing to me feels like it's one of those games which is difficult for the sake of being difficult to appease the spergs.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

It's not, it's just difficult because it tries it's best to mimic reality, which I enjoy because I like racing real cars too. To me it's a bona fide sim and the best way I can make an analogy outside of racing is by comparing FSX to X-plane. They're two different beasts that offer a somewhat different level of fun depending on how you like to approach racing. Much like Richard Burns Rally is to Colin McRae titles.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 2, 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There are some aspects of iRacing that are difficult for no reason. The tires are a little bit too slick and the rear tires will slide out from under you way too easily. You get used to it though. The tire model the have isn't the best as it is impossible to trail brake with it. You can only use traction in one direction pretty much. You can get on the brakes and turn the wheel and you'll keep going perfectly straight. Step off the brakes and you magically start turning. This makes some cars impossible to drive the way they are supposed to be driven.

It's fun though. I don't think there's any other sim out there that can put you with a group of people in your skill level almost any hour of the day. And even if you don't like NASCAR, oval racing is actually pretty fun when you're doing it.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

I used to hate Silverstone, but I've spent the last week doing laps trying to learn the GP circuit and it's really grown on me.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Anyone have any tips for playing Race 07 with a gamepad? Yeah, yeah, I should get a wheel, but that poo poo's expensive. It supports the Xbox 360 controller, but steering is incredibly twitchy and my dude jerks the wheel all the way to the right or left at the slightest nudge of the stick. What should I set all the deadzone/sensitivity sliders to for smooth steering?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I have general sensitivity at 0%, speed sensitivity at 75% and steering deadzone at 16%. I think the three analogue sectors are at default, 1.8, 2.0 and 2.2. Works pretty well for me but you do have to be pretty precise with small movements on the analogue stick.

edit: also lowering the steering lock in the car-setup can help a lot (well with the cars that let you adjust the lock)

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Megadyptes posted:

I have general sensitivity at 0%, speed sensitivity at 75% and steering deadzone at 16%. I think the three analogue sectors are at default, 1.8, 2.0 and 2.2. Works pretty well for me but you do have to be pretty precise with small movements on the analogue stick.

edit: also lowering the steering lock in the car-setup can help a lot (well with the cars that let you adjust the lock)

Wow, this is a massive improvement. Thanks a lot!

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
Story time!

I was having trouble figuring out what would be a good way to start learning how to actually race sim cars because I am horrible at it, so I popped in the irc channel and tehsid recommended using the standard WTCC '07 cars on Monza as it has many different corner types that typify what one might see on any other track.

As I drive a Honda in real life, I started out with the '07 Accord and got started in Practice mode to start hot lapping it. I think I put in about 3 hours and went from putting it into the wall at least once a lap to being able to consistently post between 2:00 and 2:20 lap times. And just to start getting into the idea of having other cars on the tracks, I played a couple of race events against cars (which by default start at 80% skill). The first race I did not finish. The second race I came in first... mostly because if you can just survive, you'll eventually pass 25 80% cars without any challenge at all.

I then tried out the BMW and found I really hate 5 speeds that don't have an auto-clutch. I need to try out the other cars in the class now.

Some points:

• This genre is dangerous crack for me.
  • I am kicking myself for bothering with a Logitech Wingman Formula Force for the last couple of years and not just sucking it up and getting the G27 immediately. Once you get good values on this thing for the FFB, it is simply a joy to use.
  • I don't know what clicked for me, but before today I was really worried I was just not going to grok this at all, and be doomed to spin out at every corner. But now I just want to tell others just getting into this like me: Don't give up! I'm by no means fast but I am confident I can finish 8 laps if I just keep focus. And it is fun as hell!

Watch the iRacing Driving School videos then start playing Race '07 on a popular track with cars that aren't stupidly powerful nor stupidly under powered and practice the stuff mentioned in the videos.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I really can't justify a fancy wheel right now.

I can justify 25 bucks on this, though. http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-computer-accessories-other-Logitech-Formula-Racing-Wheel-W0QQAdIdZ555158965 My only question is would this even be an improvement over a 360 pad?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

I really can't justify a fancy wheel right now.

I can justify 25 bucks on this, though. http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-computer-accessories-other-Logitech-Formula-Racing-Wheel-W0QQAdIdZ555158965 My only question is would this even be an improvement over a 360 pad?

Put that 25 bucks in your g27 fund

For real though, the cheapest wheel I've seen suggested is the Logitech driving force gt.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 3, 2014

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Find a 2nd hand Driving Force Pro.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Falken posted:

Find a 2nd hand Driving Force Pro.

Don't do this. You can almost certainly find a DFGT for less than $100 somewhere.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

I strongly recommend the caterhams around zandvroot.

As for newbie advice

1. Always look as far ahead as possible, lowering your field of view will help with this.
2. To go fast you must first go slow enough to stay on the track.
3. read this: http://www.drivingfast.net/car-control/weight-transfers.htm

In your mind picture a box with springs on each corner and wheels at the end of the springs. This is the "engineering model" you need to have in your head. That box behaves 99% like a real car. Also know how springs and dampers behave (See: Harmonic Oscillator) because they tell you how much grip each wheel has. More compressed spring = more grip. Repeat after me: How far a spring is compressed is exactly equal to how much grip that wheel has (given a constant surface). This is how you tune suspension too, the damping coefficient directs how fast the springs can react.

For example, I generally like to have low damping on the front end of a car. This means that the front end will "fall faster", throwing grip up in front more quickly. It will turn better and when already in a turn it will be easier to push the nose up and down to help control the line of the car on throttle only. I like to be able to keep the steering wheel at a constant angle and be able to change the radius of the turn by throttle alone. Low damping on the front end maximizes this effect. Caterhams demonstrate this effect very well.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
Awesome stuff! Yeah, the imaginary box with springs concept is the main thing that clicked for me last night (when I suddenly just stopped going off the track at every corner that needed breaking), but that page clears up a few things I wasn't total groking.

I also did the lowering of the FOV last night as well. With my monitor arms I can get the screen only 28 inches away from my face (coupled with TrackIR), which lets me drop the FOV down to like 60. Everything feels very slow (which is a good thing, since you are dealing with reaction times for this situation).

So outside of trying to get together Goon Games and dropping hundreds of bucks playing iRacing, what do the rest of you do for your multiplayer fix? Any particular forums or leagues or whatever you would recommend?

Praqzis
Dec 20, 2013

It's got a 28.8 bps modem!

Essobie posted:

Watch the iRacing Driving School videos then start playing Race '07 on a popular track with cars that aren't stupidly powerful nor stupidly under powered and practice the stuff mentioned in the videos.

I've been thinking of getting into iRacing as I'm watching these videos. Looks like there are some ways I can try it out for free for 3 months and it looks fun for how detailed it is. I don't have a wheel, so I'd be using a pad which seems like a shame :/. But I wonder if it would be better to do iRacing or just fall back to single player in Race '07? (I have most of the add-ons for it when I bought some SimBin mega bundle a ways back).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you don't have a wheel now but plan on getting one later, wait until you have a wheel before you try iRacing. If you don't have a wheel and try iRacing, you will end up buying a wheel.

• Locked thread