Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

What do you do about people that endorse your skills but have never worked with you or interacted with you in a work setting? My girlfriend's brother and father are doing this, which I do kind of appreciate, but it seems a bit dishonest. It seems like the only endorsement control LinkedIn has is accepting the endorsed skills, but not the people that endorsed them.

I'm over-thinking this, aren't I? Recruiters probably wouldn't even care, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Nope, most likely not. :)

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Anyone who's been on LinkedIn for more than a week has probably gotten a ton of bullshit endorsements and isn't under any other impression what they are.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

LinkedIn sometimes invents random endorsements that it suggests for people to give you based on keywords already present in your endorsements. Someone endorsed me for "Books." :wtc: It's basically a way to keep you doing *something* on LinkedIn.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

I ignore all the random endorsements and never accept them. I know they're nonsense and assume everyone else does too.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I went to a seminar on social engineering/phishing. One of the speakers said that his dummy linkedin accounts have more endorsements than his real one. He pretty much joins a group then friends everyone in the group. After that, endorsements start rolling in. Once his profile looks good, he goes to work.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

So what's the best course of action then? Or does it even matter? I'm not exactly getting them from strangers, at least. Considering the bullshit nature of LinkedIn endorsements I'm assuming anyone who matters probably doesn't even bother with them?

KetTarma posted:

I went to a seminar on social engineering/phishing. One of the speakers said that his dummy linkedin accounts have more endorsements than his real one. He pretty much joins a group then friends everyone in the group. After that, endorsements start rolling in. Once his profile looks good, he goes to work.

This seems interesting. I'm not sure what you mean by the last sentence though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

So what's the best course of action then? Or does it even matter? I'm not exactly getting them from strangers, at least. Considering the bullshit nature of LinkedIn endorsements I'm assuming anyone who matters probably doesn't even bother with them?

I don't think it particularly matters one way or the other how much you pay attention to endorsements.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

This seems interesting. I'm not sure what you mean by the last sentence though.

Endorsements dont matter. Dont worry about it.

The speaker I was talking about works as a network penetration tester. He basically cons people into revealing things about their company online then uses that info to break in and steal information. He then writes a report on how he did it so the company can ideally fix the problem.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

LinkedIn sometimes invents random endorsements that it suggests for people to give you based on keywords already present in your endorsements. Someone endorsed me for "Books." :wtc: It's basically a way to keep you doing *something* on LinkedIn.

What? You haven't endorsed your friends for Slacking or Professional Goat Herding or Mountain Dew Guzzling yet? For shame!

Don't overthink endorsements. Potential recruiters can easily see who they came from and if they ask just tell them the truth, it's no biggie.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Trabant posted:

Thing is, I'm starting to question the value of the site as well. Maybe I'm just jaded because of my lack of progress, but the job I have now I got through an internal reference: a classmate from business school literally printed out my resume and put it on the hiring manager's desk. I got a phone screen and an in-person interview with a couple of tech giants through internal references by a friend and a former coworker, i.e. people I know IRL. The interviews did not produce a job offer, but it got me much further along than LinkedIn ever did. And judging by the LinkedIn success stories, I'm in the minority.
There's room for overlap. I have a new job that I love, which I got with the help of an ex-classmate I didn't keep in touch with. She only thought of suggesting me because I was active on LinkedIn (and open about being unemployed). Actively networking your connections will always be best, but there are connections you may forget you have, and LinkedIn can help you passively reach out to them.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Last month I had a developer at a fellow agency contact me about freelance work with possible evolution into a permanent position on LinkedIn. It never went anywhere, but now that I'm looking for a new job should I give him a heads up that I'm looking? I really want to work for this agency. I don't really want to come across as "hey want to give me an interview?" though. I'm not really sure how to phrase it. They might not even have the ability to open up a new position since the freelance call went nowhere. Although no one really hires around the holidays.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
Endorsements have added so much noise to LinkedIn there's really no reason not to go full LION. I had been resisting for years, only connecting with authentic connections, but it's a joke at this point. It's just a big networking and "self-branding" circle jerk so go crazy.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I saw a "like and share this" cancer post yesterday. Facebook it has become.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

mcsuede posted:

Endorsements have added so much noise to LinkedIn there's really no reason not to go full LION. I had been resisting for years, only connecting with authentic connections, but it's a joke at this point. It's just a big networking and "self-branding" circle jerk so go crazy.

Adding strangers that are recruiters has most likely gotten me a job that a has caused a few people to tell me I'm the most successful person in my graduating class. I Showed up in the recruiter who messaged me search because I SEO'd my profile, got endorsements for the keywords I wanted and added recruiters at that company so I was a 2nd connection to him when he searched my keywords.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

I got a nice contract with a company by trolling group discussion boards. It's a joke; do what you want at this point.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

So here's something I did on LinkedIn very recently. Someone in the thread has probably done something similar and posted about it, but it likely deserves to be repeated, so:

1) I wanted to be on the radar of recruiters in targeted businesses/industries.

2) So, I searched LinkedIn for:

-People in [Place I'm in]
-In Staffing and Recruiting
-Who are a 2nd Connection
-In [X Business]

You can ask these people to friend you without LinkedIn checking if you actually know them.

3) I friended 40-60 recruiters within 72 hours. I would say 90%+ of them accepted, because what does a recruiter love more than recruits? I am friends with so many recruiters now that LinkedIn thinks I should join network groups for recruiters.

4) Within less than a week, I noticed I was getting way more search hits, in the vein of 50-200% more than usual on any given day. Within two weeks, I was getting way more profile hits and getting friended by more recruiters.

5) Stuff happening, we'll see.

bjobjoli
Feb 21, 2006
Wrasslin'
460 applications directly to company websites = 8 interviews. 3 applications via Linkedin = 3 interviews. Anecdotal, but gently caress applicant tracking systems.

Orange Somen
Sep 7, 2007
rawn poul 2008
What field are you in? I haven't found that many companies that use LinkedIn for applications.

bjobjoli
Feb 21, 2006
Wrasslin'
Entry level mechanical engineering. Maybe Southern California just isn't a good market.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Whoa, you applied to 460 jobs? How long did that take you?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Two weeks ago I got contacted by a recruiter about a job opening through LinkedIn. Ended up getting the job and I'm starting on the second. So I guess what I'm saying is, make a profile just for the hell of it.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Doghouse posted:

Whoa, you applied to 460 jobs? How long did that take you?

I applied for about 200 over the span of 3 weeks when I was in panic mode about getting out of the military. 0 callbacks. I got the professional resume service and saw a lot better response.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Harry posted:

Two weeks ago I got contacted by a recruiter about a job opening through LinkedIn. Ended up getting the job and I'm starting on the second. So I guess what I'm saying is, make a profile just for the hell of it.

This is how I got my current job that I started a month ago. I had a profile, every once in a while went through the "people you may know" and added everyone I recognized, but honestly I wasn't 100% sold on LinkedIn in general. However, a few recruiters contacted me about job openings (even though I wasn't even looking for a new job) and a couple of them looked pretty good, one was good enough to get me to switch.

It may not work for everyone in every field, but it certainly helped me get where I am, now I pretty much tell everyone in a technical field to have a profile and make connections, since you never know what might happen.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yes as someone not in a technical field I can anecdotally tell you that following all the advice in this thread will still basically get you nowhere (passively, that is) no matter how good your profile is. Oddly no-one seems to be hunting LinkedIn for elite researchers or writers.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Isn't the whole point of this thread to convey that this should not be used passively, but rather that you should actively join groups, contact and add recruiters?

Also hahahaha at being a "non technical elite researcher"

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

CarForumPoster posted:

Isn't the whole point of this thread to convey that this should not be used passively, but rather that you should actively join groups, contact and add recruiters?

Also hahahaha at being a "non technical elite researcher"
Well I did say following the thread's advice. I am just saying that you have to be in certain fields for recruiters to come looking for you even if you collect recruiter friends and join networking groups and all that.

And normally I ignore insults but I legitimately do not understand what is funny about the concept of a researcher in a non-IT field. (Plus, note I was making fun of myself already)

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Quarex posted:

Yes as someone not in a technical field I can anecdotally tell you that following all the advice in this thread will still basically get you nowhere (passively, that is) no matter how good your profile is. Oddly no-one seems to be hunting LinkedIn for elite researchers or writers.

They are, but you need technical skills too. Learn one or more of the following: R, SQL, Python.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Kim Jong Il posted:

They are, but you need technical skills too. Learn one or more of the following: R, SQL, Python.

Can't go wrong with any of those three.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Would it be weird for me to add some people I graduated college with? Like, people I recognize but weren't really friends with me? I'm trying to get a job in what I went to school for and I haven't tried the LinkedIn approach yet.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Shnooks posted:

Would it be weird for me to add some people I graduated college with? Like, people I recognize but weren't really friends with me? I'm trying to get a job in what I went to school for and I haven't tried the LinkedIn approach yet.

Go for it. That's completely legit.

Funambulist
Aug 3, 2012

Shnooks posted:

I've done that to plenty of people. No one thinks of it as being "rude", and they might be able to help you out or vice versa later.

I've gotten interviews because a recruiter noticed where I went to school, and knew a hiring manager who went there like 8 years earlier. That's a much less substantial connection than yours.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Kim Jong Il posted:

Well this advice sounds amazing, and looking into this I can totally understand why this might be helpful. Even if I manage to stay in academia I am sure this knowledge would be useful (R in particular for social sciences, I would imagine). But it is hard to imagine putting "learning a programming language" on my plate when my dissertation is already killing me. Still, worth investigating.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Quarex posted:

Well this advice sounds amazing, and looking into this I can totally understand why this might be helpful. Even if I manage to stay in academia I am sure this knowledge would be useful (R in particular for social sciences, I would imagine). But it is hard to imagine putting "learning a programming language" on my plate when my dissertation is already killing me. Still, worth investigating.

This is in the OP of another thread but if you go to https://www.sqlcourse.com, do all the exercises, then do the same on https://www.sqlcourse2.com, you will be able to say you know SQL. The rabbit hole goes a lot deeper but this is sufficient for working knowledge. It only takes a few hours and anybody with an IT-like job would be well advised to do this.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Per someone's suggestion elsewhere, I'm looking up alumni with the positions and jobs I'm interested in and hitting them up to ask them about their careers. LinkedIn is asking me how I know them, but sometimes I legitimately don't know them. How do you connect with people like that?

Edit: Is it weird to connect with someone who I almost had an interview with? They cancelled last minute.

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 1, 2014

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Quarex posted:

SQL is really easy to learn, and it absolutely has tons of applications for social science research. 5 commands are 80% of what I regularly use and 8 commands are 90% of what I regularly use. Of course, I'm a data analyst, not a DBA.

null gallagher
Jan 1, 2014

Shnooks posted:

Per someone's suggestion elsewhere, I'm looking up alumni with the positions and jobs I'm interested in and hitting them up to ask them about their careers. LinkedIn is asking me how I know them, but sometimes I legitimately don't know them. How do you connect with people like that?

Edit: Is it weird to connect with someone who I almost had an interview with? They cancelled last minute.

Isn't one of the options when it asks you something like "we went to school together"? IME people are usually pretty cool with someone from their college getting in touch with them for stuff like that.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

MrKatharsis posted:

This is in the OP of another thread but if you go to https://www.sqlcourse.com, do all the exercises, then do the same on https://www.sqlcourse2.com, you will be able to say you know SQL. The rabbit hole goes a lot deeper but this is sufficient for working knowledge. It only takes a few hours and anybody with an IT-like job would be well advised to do this.

Thanks for this! I'm looking at research analyst roles and was looking into SQL as a lot of positions mention it as a preferred qualification.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This might be a question better suited for the grad school thread, but here goes anyway. Today I decided to go back to my profile and actually add content. I'd like to get my academic projects in there as part of my profile. I wrote an M.Sc. thesis and did a research paper over the past three years and the supervisors of both projects are interested in turning their content into scientific publications. I'd like to at least say a few things on LinkedIn about them if that would be beneficial*, but I'm apprehensive about revealing pre-published information out of fear of getting scooped.

Does anyone have any tips for this or at least information about whether or not it's a good/relevant idea to include it?

* I don't really have much in the way of professional work experience so academic projects are most of what I have going for me. I think they would be pretty good things to mention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

This might be a question better suited for the grad school thread, but here goes anyway. Today I decided to go back to my profile and actually add content. I'd like to get my academic projects in there as part of my profile. I wrote an M.Sc. thesis and did a research paper over the past three years and the supervisors of both projects are interested in turning their content into scientific publications. I'd like to at least say a few things on LinkedIn about them if that would be beneficial*, but I'm apprehensive about revealing pre-published information out of fear of getting scooped.

Does anyone have any tips for this or at least information about whether or not it's a good/relevant idea to include it?

* I don't really have much in the way of professional work experience so academic projects are most of what I have going for me. I think they would be pretty good things to mention.

You can do things like have direct links to portfolio items in your profile. "Here is my education! Here is a project I worked on during that education!" Whether it contains sensitive information is not really something I can comment on, that's your call.

I would focus on getting your keywords down and figuring out under what circumstances you want people to find you.

• Locked thread