Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

ms_hyena posted:

So how did non-white women/women of color fit into these societies? Were they all Aristasian males brunettes by default? (personal guess: Aristasia was almost entirely white in practice)
That was covered in an earlier post:

Hibiscus posted:

[...]These people flat-out didn't understand racism or even acknowledge it's existence, which led them to doing and saying a lot of problematic things without really meaning to. At one point they used some symbols associated with the Nazis on their website and were really surprised when people complained because they didn't even know the symbols could be seen as racist or problematic. There were rumors that the BNP had corresponded with some of them in the distant past, though, but these people flat-out refused to acknowledge that racism was a thing, for the most part. They wrote a little bit about it in their FAQ, something to the effect of Aristasia containing girls of every race, but that their race was unimportant since, while in character, they were "Pure Aristasian."

In terms of the mythology, Aristasia had different races, but they weren't really seen as such. The southern regions of the empire were filled with dark-skinned people, and the eastern regions had Asian analogues. There's one Aristasian book that makes the strange argument that the same races exist in all worlds and in mostly the same locations on each world, but this came much later, after Bridgehead. [...]

Basic answer seems to be that there were other ethnic groups, but given how this world seems to have been inspired by interwar Britain, Caucasians were the mode.

Hibiscus posted:

It was the iron cross and some runes, IIRC. If I fiddled with the Wayback Machine a bit, I could probably find the instance of them being used. When responding to the controversy they mentioned the swastika being a symbol of Sai Raya (angel of the sun) and said it wasn't their fault if good symbols were being polluted by evil people. As for them being occult, well, I'm not entirely sure about that. Their religion is non-mainstream and pretty bizarre - does that count as occult? Lately, the current splinter group has been getting really into their own brand of astrology.

As to being fascist, well, they would probably call themselves royalists or something to that effect. I didn't say much about the government of their little alternate world, but it's not democracy by any means. There's a queen for each province, and they're ruled over by the empress of the whole thing. There was some talk of voting in district governesses, but that wasn't widely accepted as "fact" or whatever.

From what you've described, the Aristasians don't sound particularly fascist, at least as I understand the term. They're antidemocratic and (presumably) anticapitalist, but they seem much more small-c conservative and nostalgic than most strands of fascism, which tend to express themselves as aggressive, future-oriented movements (that are often drenched in masculinity). Fascists want to rebuild the world in their image; the Aristasians seems to want to leave it. It's probably best to say that the Aristasians (and other Traditionalist groups) and various fascist organizations are "drinking from the same well" and have some of the same objections to society as a whole, but have wildly differing ideas on what should be done.

Come to think of it, I was wondering if you could elaborate on what Aristasian doctrine says about men. I'm getting the impression that, while they're not fond of men as a whole, they don't really devote a lot of thought to them. Like, the obvious thing would be to imagine men as the antagonistic force in this world, to identify them with the northern demons or portray them as agents of violence and corruption, but that hasn't come up in any of your accounts yet. Rather than symbolically reiterating the conflict between the genders, they seem to want to just avoid it altogether by leaving the world and its men. (Reminds me of some of James Tiptree Jr.'s sci-fi stories, though I doubt there's much connection between the two.)

Finally, on the most basic level, the Aristasians are an occult practice. At its heart, occult religions are hidden religions, ones built around small groups of the Elect who have access to the true knowledge of the world. Given what you've said of their organization, not to mention the fact that one gender is forever barred from deeper knowledge, "occult" seems right on the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hibiscus
Dec 31, 2013

ms_hyena posted:

It cracks me up whenever people make single sex utopias and then just find a way to separate them into essentially Females and Males, but with different names. Some weird :biotruths: happenning.

So how did non-white women/women of color fit into these societies? Were they all Aristasian males brunettes by default? (personal guess: Aristasia was almost entirely white in practice)

In real life (ie, the LARP part) hair color had no bearing on sex, so there were raven-haired blondes and such. It was all about temperament. In the fantasy world, non-white Aristasians either had absolutely black hair or absolutely white hair, depending on whether they were blonde or brunette. There was a person (er, persona, actually) in Second Life with Asian features and shockingly white hair. There were a few other girls with similar appearance, who (I think) were people of color in real life, not just in Second life

Hibiscus
Dec 31, 2013

Marshal Radisic posted:

Come to think of it, I was wondering if you could elaborate on what Aristasian doctrine says about men. I'm getting the impression that, while they're not fond of men as a whole, they don't really devote a lot of thought to them. Like, the obvious thing would be to imagine men as the antagonistic force in this world, to identify them with the northern demons or portray them as agents of violence and corruption, but that hasn't come up in any of your accounts yet. Rather than symbolically reiterating the conflict between the genders, they seem to want to just avoid it altogether by leaving the world and its men. (Reminds me of some of James Tiptree Jr.'s sci-fi stories, though I doubt there's much connection between the two.)

Men don't play a very big role at all. If they are present, they're seen as not trustworthy and to be regarded with caution, but not as enemies per se. In a really late Aristasian novel, the protagonists encounter some men, and kill them (because the men were trying to kill them as part of an intergalactic conflict). Earlier than that, they weren't really mentioned. The Aristasian party-line was that they didn't hate men. Men just aren't part of their world. They compared it to keeping modern machinery out of a period piece movie or TV show. They do consider patriarchy to be a lesser form of government than matriarchy, and will, very occasionally, grouse about the "mascul" tendency to "kill their own kind." They call men masculs.

If you really, really dig deep into the religious side, you find this curious view of the world. In the beginning, everything was perfect, and everyone was feminine. Then, things began to degrade as the world passed through a series of ages. Women started begetting men, and soon the men took over, and things have sucked every since.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Marshal Radisic posted:

It's probably best to say that the Aristasians (and other Traditionalist groups) and various fascist organizations are "drinking from the same well" and have some of the same objections to society as a whole, but have wildly differing ideas on what should be done.
Exactly. It's a wide umbrella with basic common ideas but different groups/opinions.

Hibiscus posted:

If you really, really dig deep into the religious side, you find this curious view of the world. In the beginning, everything was perfect, and everyone was feminine. Then, things began to degrade as the world passed through a series of ages. Women started begetting men, and soon the men took over, and things have sucked every since.
This is literally the famous Traditionalist Evola's view of how things declined, only with "patriarchy" replaced with "world populated by women" and "the unrighteous rule of women" replaced with "the unrighteous rule of men." Same exact narrative.

Thanks, Hibiscus. This is really interesting.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I read a lot of this last night while half asleep so this may have alreasy been asked and answered... but how exactly do they explain the propegation of their race if they don't have contact with/have any men? Do they just magically spank babies out of one another, or what?

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

That drat Satyr posted:

I read a lot of this last night while half asleep so this may have alreasy been asked and answered... but how exactly do they explain the propegation of their race if they don't have contact with/have any men? Do they just magically spank babies out of one another, or what?

Blondes are the girly girls that bear the children and brunettes are the manly girls that make the blondes pregnant. Somehow.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

teh winnar! posted:

Blondes are the girly girls that bear the children and brunettes are the manly girls that make the blondes pregnant. Somehow.

I like the idea that the brunettes spank the babies out of them. That should be canon.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

teh winnar! posted:

I guess the 'somehow' is where my brain's reasoning center shuts down because the :siren: bullshit warning :siren: alarms are wailing so loud.

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

That drat Satyr posted:

I guess the 'somehow' is where my brain's reasoning center shuts down because the :siren: bullshit warning :siren: alarms are wailing so loud.

I was going to say "because reasons" but that sounded too memetastic. But from what Hibiscus has said of the Aristasia canon, that's how baby girls are made there. I don't think she has specified how aside from brunettes are the "male" analogue and blondes are the "female" analogue.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

ms_hyena posted:

It cracks me up whenever people make single sex utopias and then just find a way to separate them into essentially Females and Males, but with different names. Some weird :biotruths: happenning.

Lore written by straight people and closeted lesbians who have never met openly gay people before

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That took me way too long. Finally reached the end of the thread, I started reading on and off when it was around 8 or 12 pages long.

I don't have any stories to tell, but I may have met several potential contractors of imaginary anime waifu/hunbando syndrome. In the fandom in this corner of the world, at least, there seems to be a quite high rate of people who reject being called by their given names and ask to be called by some invented name instead. I haven't seen or heard of any of them having headmates or other full-on crazy, but it does seem most of them have had some sort of problems with their parents or family growing up, and want to distance themselves from it. Not in the bunch of Hetalia, Homestuck etc. groups either.

Though of course, a few pages back someone linked the "PYF Awkward, Ugly & Gross" thread, and right in the opening post I see some faces I recognise (but can't name):

Pilsner posted:

Just found out that Brony-dom has invaded my country too. :(
The "cosplay walk", dress up every Saturday and walk around the city. Meeting up in a club house is way old-fashioned and/or contraining of individual right of expression, or something.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I guess at least they're getting some fresh air and exercise?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hibiscus posted:

I really hope these posts aren't too long and boring. I'm trying to make it interesting, and maybe it is, but I can't tell anymore. Aristasia is old hat for me. I know all the details about it and have been following these people for about ten years, just watching events transpire.

Came expecting maybe something like Terra Malatora crossed with Fedora Lounge, am now fascinated by a pre-internet wacky subculture. These things are always interesting because of how much effort was really required to create and maintain a group like this before the web.

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 2, 2014

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
This Aristasia stuff is basically gold for this thread. It's combining almost all of the craziness into one thing and adding in an occult religion that has(had?) actual resources. Hell it even has a time-displacement thing going on like that 1970s businessman named Meyers, and just before I thought the story couldn't get any better they found out about otherkin and latched onto that. While it may not be "up to par" with some of the other stories since Hibiscus's perspective is more distant, I bet there's some Aristasian who's sadly doing just as much damage to the people around them as some of the other people that have been topics in this thread.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hibiscus posted:

Miss Martindale ran the embassy and at one point invited some non-Aristasians to visit and receive discipline. Some TV station in the UK recorded the whole thing and now it's up on Youtube. Check it out here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3hxVnKUrHU

Just finished this. It's a great combination of :stare: :gbsmith: and :psyduck:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Brightman posted:

This Aristasia stuff is basically gold for this thread. It's combining almost all of the craziness into one thing and adding in an occult religion that has(had?) actual resources. Hell it even has a time-displacement thing going on like that 1970s businessman named Meyers, and just before I thought the story couldn't get any better they found out about otherkin and latched onto that. While it may not be "up to par" with some of the other stories since Hibiscus's perspective is more distant, I bet there's some Aristasian who's sadly doing just as much damage to the people around them as some of the other people that have been topics in this thread.

I miss the Meyers stories, wow. I kind of forgot about him. Of course, as a perfectly mundane 70's businessman, I suppose that's appropriate.

Hibiscus
Dec 31, 2013
Good Times in Blumfield

Right before the election in 2008 I got a really great computer. I had saved up for it for a long time, because I was tired of buying cheap computers and then having them die on me. A few days after getting it, it occurred to me that it could probably run Second Life. I had always been curious about Second Life, and decided to give it a go. I'd read a lot about the craziness going on in there, furries and all that, so I wanted to try it. So, I downloaded it and signed up for an account.

This was back when you got a second name with your avatar. I liked that, because it was a nice change from the lame names you see elsewhere online with numbers and stuff in them. So I signed up. Not going to tell you what name was used, but I got one. I rezzed in with a default avatar and wandered around a bit. I was disappointed. Most people were busy shopping for avatar components and no one really wanted to talk. I hung out in sandboxes painfully trying to finish building tutorials, but I knew I'd never get good at it.

Then I remembered Aristasia, and thought: why not? I hunted around in Freebie Dungeon until I found some vaguely pre-1960s-looking dresses and popped them on, along with some free hair and other little things that make you not look too terrible in Second Life. I looked them up and visited the Embassy. The Embassy was in an area called Blumfield near some water and a bunch of residential-looking buildings. It's still there today, and you can still visit it, though it's mostly abandoned. I don't know WHY it's still there, but it is, and you can visit it. Just search for "Aristasia." I'd get pictures of it, but Second Life doesn't run on this computer. Hasn't for years.

It was two stories. The bottom floor had a bar, dance pose balls (lindy hop, things like that), and a picture of Tamara Lempicke for some reason. The top floor was a chapel with images of goddesses and pews. And there were quite a few girls there, dancing and talking and generally being social. The first thing I noticed, though, was how good their avatars looked. They weren't wearing freebies like me - they had put time and money into looking a certain way. And they were all wearing absolutely gorgeous period clothing, ranging from full Victorian dresses to the kinds of things a flapper would wear to, well, everything else from interwar Britain. I felt a little weird going about in freebies, but I let it go.

I don't really want to go into detail about all the people I met, but some of them are very public, so I guess it's okay to mention them, vaguely. There was the undisputed heart of Aristasia, Sushuri, who was mentioned in the blog post I quoted above. Someone asked why she's called Mushroom, and the truth is, I'm not entirely sure. It might relate to "Super Maria Sisters," her favorite video game. (Not making this up) I was really surprised to find her with a really short blonde avatar and schoolgirl outfit. She looked about twelve, but identified as fifteen. She was just the sweetest person, really, always kind and willing to tolerate almost anything. You would think that her being the heart of it all, she'd be very anal about keeping things properly Aristasian, but she wasn't. She was quite laid-back, though undeniably Aristasian herself. I remember telling her (for some reason) about little, very un-Aristasian facts in my life, and she would listen with interest and comment without judging. I was happy to call her a friend.

There were other people, too, but they're more fuzzy. There was the priestess, who only showed up on Sundays for service. Her name was Chancandra (I think), and she would give lectures on voice about Aristasian theology. Second Life is pretty good about allowing voice, but they only used it for Divine Service, and nobody besides Chancandra ever spoke aloud. Everyone would respond in text. I only went to one of these, because they were quite dull. It sounded a lot like what you would hear in any church on Sunday, but with a feminine angle. There were some other girls that I don't remember as well.

I was never heavily involved but would pop in occasionally to check on them whenever my life was feeling too normal and non-crazy and I needed to liven things up. They had some complex social rituals they went through. Whenever meeting someone (new or otherwise) one had to use a particular animation called a "reverence" or "revvie." It was basically clasping the hands together and bowing. This had to be paired with the word "Rayati," which, they said, was a shortened form of "Rayati Raihiriana" (sp?) which meant "Hail to the sun in you." Also, (remember: this was back when Second Life still had surnames) nobody was simply called by their first name. They were called by their last name. For example, a hypothetical girl named Mary Sunshine would be called "honoured Miss Sunshine" or, informally, "Miss Sunshine." The only exception to this was girls who identified as paxit, or bonded servants. There was only one of those, and she wasn't bonded to anyone in particular, but would make a big show of waiting on everyone and tending to them. She was known solely by her first name. I was kind of envious of this, as I'd put a lot of effort into coming up with my Second Life first name, and wished they would use it.

A really big show was often made of pretending to be fully-seceded when you weren't. Here's an example. One woman was married with a teenaged son and husband, and we sometimes talked about how they were doing. At one point she had to go away to help him set up a DVD player. Sushuri asked what he was watching. She replied that it was South Park. Everyone present made a big show of not knowing what that was, even though you'd be hard-pressed to find someone in the Western world who doesn't know about South Park. Everyone seemed to have a filter and avoided mentioning non-Aristsaian things in Aristasia, or acknowledging the outside world at all.

Initially, the discipline thing didn't play much of an aspect in the Second Life events. Sorry to disappoint you, but people weren't grabbing any "Spank Me!" poseballs or anything. There was a girl who accidentally rezzed something during Service, and she was asked to write lines, scan them in, and send them to the priestess. There was another girl who was studying for the MCATS and one of the upper Aristasians was sort of her mistress about it. She, too, had to write lines or something. There definitely was a power-dynamic going on, though, with some people playing younger characters and being guided in proper behavior by those portraying older women. There was absolutely no evidence of anyone being with anyone else - no flirting, no indication of couples forming or relationships of that sort. People would dance together, but that was it.

One day, I was present when they did all start talking on voice, and something very interesting happened. Sushuri started talking. I don't know what I expected (I knew deep down she wasn't really a child, obviously), but when she spoke, it was the priestess's voice. I don't mean that it had the same accent or anything like that - I mean that it suddenly became painfully obvious that Sushuri and Chancandra were the same person offline. It made me wonder how many Aristasians there really are, and how many of them were just the same person in multiple personas. I waited for them to do voice again so that I could suss that out, but they never did.

The Schism

In the midst of all this, a directive came down from the Novarian high command or whoever that stated that "disciplinyness is no longer permitted." That's right: They'd decided no more spanking or punishment. And everyone seemed cool with it. Those who weren't were apparently quietly forced out of the community, from what I've heard. This started the schism between the Old Guard Aristasians and the New Guard/Bridgehead/Chelouranyan Aristasians.

Then the drama happened. Basically, most of thee people had other things going on Second Life-wise, and weren't just there for Aristasia. A lot of them built things, sold things, or had other communities they were invested in. A bunch of them hung out at the 1920s Berlin sim, where I spent most of my time, but I rarely encountered them there (it's a big sim). One woman had apparently, in the course of her Second Life adventures, gotten involved with a man in a master/slave sort of relationship. Now, this wasn't unusual - many of them had relationships with men outside of the Aristasia-sphere or whatever. Thing is, this woman wasn't shy about mentioning this relationship to the Aristasians.

And they didn't like that. At all. There were really polite, stilted arguments about it until the woman finally gave up on Aristasia, blocked the rest of them, and wrote an article about it here: http://issuu.com/palaismagazine/docs/2011-05 Page eighteen.

Throughout all this I was on the very periphery, but still present. I used to go shopping with them in Second Life looking for good 1920s clothing to wear to the Berlin sim (you might not know this, but to enter said sim your avatar has to be as accurate as possible or they eject you) - they knew all the best vintage places. Eventually, Second Life started to run really slowly on my machine until it became apparent that it was no longer feasible to keep signing in. Which was actually a good thing, because I was really busy with school and needed to focus on more important things.

After that, I would visit their website maybe once every three months just to see what they were doing. Their numbers dwindled considerably until there were just a handful of them. They abandoned Second Life, probably for the same reason I did. They also started loosening up about the period-dress and no pop culture thing. They suddenly all decided that EGL was the most racinated wardrobe. Also, they got really into certain animes (something called Precure. Not sure what that is and don't feel like googling it) and started say that it and other shows like Friendship is Magic were properly "real" or whatever. Instead of being strict and conservative, they became all into psychological neoteny and cuteness. And Japan. Oh god, Japan. Apparently the so-called Eclipse the were once so worried about missed Japan, and now Japan was a beacon of wholesomeness in the Pit. They talked a lot about innocence and cuteness (kawaii!!) and video games. They were all learning Japanese through some site called "Kawaii Japanese" or something, and they were obsessed with that Precure thing. (If anyone wants to fill me in on what that actually is, let me know)

I for one was very disappointed in this turn of events. They had been crazy before, really crazy, but they were an unusual kind of crazy. This group had managed to form a weird subculture without the Internet and keep it going for FORTY YEARS. In the past few years, though, they've taken everything that made them interesting away. Now, they're just average otakukin. I had originally had dreams of studying them in the long term and writing some kind of book or paper about the movement. But now, well, nobody is going to want to hear about the inner workings of what's essentially become a Precure fan club. Yeah, I could write about them and their Japan obsession, but, well, there are tons of people like them and plenty of research has already been done on the subject. Right now, half of them have actually moved to Japan. Wonder how that's working out for them.

Civil War

Then, something weird happened (well, most of this is weird, but still). See, a long time ago, the domain name Aristasia.net was abandoned for some reason, as they moved to Aristasia.info and Aristasia.co.uk. Suddenly, it became active again. And it wasn't about anime or Japan. Suddenly, all the old (really old) Aristasian documents were back online - all the books, the stuff about Miss Martindale, the pages about submissiveness, schoolgirls, "racinated" lifestyle, gloves, skirts, etc. All the pages about discipline were back. Everything that ever made Aristasia interesting to gawk at was on that website once again, and not a single word about kawaii or Precure.

Turns out that this site wasn't being run by the core group of Aristasians. A third party had picked up the domain name and threw everything they could find from the old days up there.

The New Aristasians were livid and started making posts about how they were True Aristasia and everyone else was fake or only interested in Aristasia for "sex, politics, or other odd reasons," and saying that anything about Aristasia beyond their own sites was a lie, a sham, probably the work of masculs, etc. I'm sure some kind of private exchange went on between the New Aristasians and the person running the old domain name, but it wasn't public. I was only checking in about every six months at this point, so I probably missed a lot, but there was a quiet war of sorts between these parties.

Then, suddenly, the New Aristasians rebranded. They decided they were no longer Aristasians. They were Chelouranyans. The story they tell goes that the Royal Novarian whatever that they're in touch with decided to name the "protectorate" of the empire here on Earth as Chelouranya, which means "Daughters of Shining Harmony" in their language, supposedly. They moved to a whole new website and made new wikis, new everything. The focus was on cuteness, innocence, and the other/otakukin angle. The person in charge of Aristasia.net applauded this to no end. I guess he or she thought that it was great to have the name of Aristasia left to the old guard. People started coming out of the woodwork (people who had been forced out during Bridgehead) and complaining about the "downfall" of Aristasia, calling it a "Cultural Revolution" and a lot of them aren't even sure what happened to cause all this.

Meanwhile, I'm just sitting here in my jeans and t-shirt thinking about that conversation I had so many years ago with the Aristasians about the existence of otherkin and otakukin. I remember the times I linked them to this or that anime I happened to be watching. D-did I accidentally destroy a subculture with my meddling?

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

Just an aside, since you asked, this is referring to the "Pretty Cure" franchise, a group of magical girl anime series that has pretty much become the gold standard of things magical girl. Whenever something recent references or parodies magical girl anime, there's usually something done to directly point to Pretty Cure. Sorry for the TVTropes link, but you have been warned.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
Pretty sure it's Pretty Cure.

Never actually saw it, but it's like Sailor Moon, maybe?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
:catstare:

Nothing like seeing the flawless paradise GLORIOUS NIPPON shoehorned into literally everything.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Christ, and there's the crazy anime fixation.

Were any of them werewolves or vampires? I think that's the only thing we're loving missing at this point.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Brightman posted:

Were any of them werewolves or vampires? I think that's the only thing we're loving missing at this point.

I think it was already mentioned that the whole movement converted to otherkin... ism.

Karupin
Feb 27, 2007

...and that whoever has this crystal ball gets the power to unite the world... Eh? I was tricked? Really!?

teh winnar! posted:

Just an aside, since you asked, this is referring to the "Pretty Cure" franchise, a group of magical girl anime series that has pretty much become the gold standard of things magical girl. Whenever something recent references or parodies magical girl anime, there's usually something done to directly point to Pretty Cure. Sorry for the TVTropes link, but you have been warned.

Pretty Cure is also targeted towards very young girls. I teach preschool in Japan, and the girls from around 2-5 love it. The girls in elementary school, though, make faces and proclaim that it's for babies. It always creeps me out when I see adults obsessing over this show.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Hibiscus posted:

Meanwhile, I'm just sitting here in my jeans and t-shirt thinking about that conversation I had so many years ago with the Aristasians about the existence of otherkin and otakukin. I remember the times I linked them to this or that anime I happened to be watching. D-did I accidentally destroy a subculture with my meddling?

You were Horton Hears a Who and you inadvertently stomped the crap out of that dandelion puff.

Hibiscus
Dec 31, 2013

Brightman posted:

No, thank god.

At one point a girl at the Embassy changed her avatar to a cat, though. Not a furry cat. An actual cat. She walked around like that a bunch. It was a nice avatar and must have cost her a lot, but it had a pooping function and would occasionally rezz cat poop, which gave off little stink waves. She kept saying that she didn't know why it was doing that, but anyways, it didn't go over very well, and she switched back to her regular avatar (which also probably cost her a lot).

Trying to remember more...

So, uh, can anyone who's seen it tell me exactly what these people like so much about this Pretty Cure thing? Is it all-girls? Do they dress conservatively? Sexless lesbians?

Hibiscus
Dec 31, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I think it was already mentioned that the whole movement converted to otherkin... ism.

Yes, but they weren't werewolf or vampire otherkin - they were "intermorph" otherkin from Aristasia. Really more like otakukin.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hibiscus posted:

So, uh, can anyone who's seen it tell me exactly what these people like so much about this Pretty Cure thing? Is it all-girls? Do they dress conservatively? Sexless lesbians?

Just a pair/group of elementary school girls getting magical powers from another dimension and having to save the world through friendship, featuring plenty of merchandiseable stuff. Basically exactly the same as My Little Pony except with magical girls instead of magical ponies. (Here's some goons who watch it, too.)
I guess the appeal would be in colorful/frilly dresses and girls saving the day, but the setting is supposed to be plain modern day Japan.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

That was a hell of a ride.

Seriously though, the whole thing they have with infantilizing women is really really insulting.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Karupin posted:

Pretty Cure is also targeted towards very young girls. I teach preschool in Japan, and the girls from around 2-5 love it. The girls in elementary school, though, make faces and proclaim that it's for babies. It always creeps me out when I see adults obsessing over this show.

It's the show whose target markets are shown in this (somewhat notorious) picture:

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Hibiscus posted:

No, thank god.

At one point a girl at the Embassy changed her avatar to a cat, though. Not a furry cat. An actual cat. She walked around like that a bunch. It was a nice avatar and must have cost her a lot, but it had a pooping function and would occasionally rezz cat poop, which gave off little stink waves. She kept saying that she didn't know why it was doing that, but anyways, it didn't go over very well, and she switched back to her regular avatar (which also probably cost her a lot).

Trying to remember more...

Not seen it, but I have seen enough of the material and osmosed enough to know it's hyper girly, pretty much all girl characters, and I think there's a young chaste romance thing going on between some characters? Basically, it's just super cutesy girl power show with a new version each year. Like Power rangers, but hyper cutesy.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
The more I think about it the more angry I am that an established unique form of weirdness got co-opted by boring anime nerds.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

The more I think about it the more angry I am that an established unique form of weirdness got co-opted by boring anime nerds.

Is anime some kind of weirdo entropy? All weirdos will eventually become otaku? :smith:

The internet is a tool much like fire. It can bring warmth and comfort, but it can also destroy interesting and unique things.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Whoever put up the website with the old stuff in it may still carry the flame, don't worry.

Hibiscus
Dec 31, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

You and me both, man. You and me both.

Seriously. How do you go from this...

to this...

in the space of six-odd years?

Hibiscus
Dec 31, 2013

a travelling HEGEL posted:

Whoever put up the website with the old stuff in it may still carry the flame, don't worry.

Still, one website compared to the commune they had in the 1990s with four or five printed books and a documentary. There's a lot of speculation, though, that secretive communes of Aristasians may still exist in the world, either in Britain, or in America. There are a lot of people looking for them. They may exist - something had to have happened to the other people living at the Embassy in London once it broke up. If they do exist, though, they're probably hiding from the Internet with good reason. Sometimes when I'm reading all this stuff, and thinking about it, I wonder what Miss Martindale is doing at this very minute. She wasn't that old in the 1990s - she must be still alive somewhere. Is she in touch with Sushuri? People talk about how she was "disappeared."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hibiscus posted:

You and me both, man. You and me both.

Seriously. How do you go from this...

to this...

in the space of six-odd years?

And how on earth do you decide that Japan of all places embodies pre-1960 culture?

Hibiscus
Dec 31, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

And how on earth do you decide that Japan of all places embodies pre-1960 culture?

See, you're missing the point. They didn't think that. They completely changed their focus from being about the pre-1960s culture to being about bullshit culture.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Man, do not google any of the words involved in this story because then you end up looking at whatever the gently caress filianism is and finding out that there are like eight other branches of this whole god mother thing that are all relatively similar and it's just all really crazy and doesn't make any sense.

Also a grown rear end adult trying to take insight from Pretty Cure is simultaneously hilarious and tragic.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Hibiscus posted:

It might relate to "Super Maria Sisters," her favorite video game. (Not making this up)

Was she purposely ignoring the male character or getting her wires crossed with "Great Giana Sisters"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hibiscus
Dec 31, 2013

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Was she purposely ignoring the male character or getting her wires crossed with "Great Giana Sisters"?

She would play the game and pretend the characters were female.

Hibiscus fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 3, 2014

• Locked thread