Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Any recommendations for graphing plugins for WordPress? I'm checking out Visualizer and WordPress Charts at the moment but am wondering if there are any others I should be looking at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'd like to learn Wordpress, but I'm running into difficulty finding a good beginner tutorial. I'm a web developer, so I need a good introduction to Wordpress that's geared for someone who knows all about how to make websites. A thorough, technical introduction. But all I'm finding are tutorials like "Steps to making a Wordpress site without touching a single bit of code!". It seems most people equate "Wordpress beginner" with "web development beginner." What do you all suggest? Should I buy a book? Or is the reality that the basics of Wordpress are so simple that all I need to do is fiddle around with it?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Stoph posted:

What problems did this cause for you?

We had issues with inconsistent order ID's which led to problems for the recurring subscriber orders (500 of them at $50 a pop isn't anything to mess with). I'm going off what our back-end peeps were saying (and this was a little bit ago too), but any merging with another WP database led to a complete post id reset. It just wasn't as easy as switching themes like on a normal WP site.

I'm going to disclose this was out first ecommerce site and our teams first exposure to woocommerce so we did do stumbling in the blind. There's just no developer support for woo if you're doing something out of the ordinary.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 27, 2013

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:

caiman posted:

I'd like to learn Wordpress, but I'm running into difficulty finding a good beginner tutorial. I'm a web developer, so I need a good introduction to Wordpress that's geared for someone who knows all about how to make websites. A thorough, technical introduction. But all I'm finding are tutorials like "Steps to making a Wordpress site without touching a single bit of code!". It seems most people equate "Wordpress beginner" with "web development beginner." What do you all suggest? Should I buy a book? Or is the reality that the basics of Wordpress are so simple that all I need to do is fiddle around with it?

Do you know PHP well? If so, it's probably easiest to try and build your own WP theme from scratch. That will teach you all about the hooks, function calls, how The Loop works, etc. It'll also introduce you to the WordPress Codex, which you'll spend a lot of time in. The file structure of the theme is also critical, which you'll get to learn the hard way once or twice. :)

Once you know how themes are built and have done a few, move on to plugins and repeat the process. After you've got themes and plugins, start looking into how to contribute to the core if you want to go deeper.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

slartibartfast posted:

Do you know PHP well? If so, it's probably easiest to try and build your own WP theme from scratch. That will teach you all about the hooks, function calls, how The Loop works, etc. It'll also introduce you to the WordPress Codex, which you'll spend a lot of time in. The file structure of the theme is also critical, which you'll get to learn the hard way once or twice. :)

Once you know how themes are built and have done a few, move on to plugins and repeat the process. After you've got themes and plugins, start looking into how to contribute to the core if you want to go deeper.

I know PHP fairly well. So maybe I should be searching instead for "how to create a Wordpress theme" tutorials?

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002

caiman posted:

I know PHP fairly well. So maybe I should be searching instead for "how to create a Wordpress theme" tutorials?

That would be my suggestion at least. It seems like a good foot in the door when trying to approach WordPress from a technical perspective.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Seconding the WordPress Codex as a fantastic resource. It sounds like you're knowledgable enough that you probably don't need to have your hand held, so something like the Theme Development article would probably be a great starting point.

ZeldaLeft
Oct 15, 2004
Waiting in the mirrors of the Hotel Lobby
I'm using a custom theme (Zagetti) that has a Gallery feature.
http://theme-dutch.com/presents/zagetti/
When I try to create a page that uses the gallery, I cannot upload any pictures.
The theme has options to add pictures to both the sidebar and the background, but when I press "add new slide" and then "upload image" the screen goes dark and is unresponsive until I click somewhere else.
I'm new to wordpress, and my manual just says something obvious like "click add file" to add a file.
I've tried all three browsers, and I reinstalled both wordpress and flash. Is there a setting Ive missed?

EDIT: it seems that my theme doesn't recognize that I have the latest version of Jquery. even tho I have upgraded to the newest version, a bug prevents my theme from recognizing it. This seems to be a well-documented issue and is addressed here:
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/wordpress-36-and-jqueryblockui-version-problem-solution

However, I do not have a file name in my theme folder that has the phrase "blockUI" in it, so I don't know where to copy the code contained in http://malsup.github.io/jquery.blockUI.js and apply it to my site. I do have these files:

In wp-content/themes/zagetti/js there are:
jquery.colorbox-min
jquery.easing.1.3
jquery.effects.core
jquery.mousewheel.min
jquery.ui.totop
jquery-1.5.2.min

And in wp-content/themes/zagetti/js/ui there is:
jquery.effects.core

And in themes/zagetti/js/cp/js there is:
jquery

There are a few others here and there, but that's it for everything in the theme folder. Where do I put this file/code?

ZeldaLeft fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 6, 2013

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!
I'm getting some weird more tag behavior on my blog, with a custom theme.

This post, for example, looks find if you go to the regular URL: http://caveatemptorblog.com/mcdonalds-publishes-guide-tipping-help-minimum-wage-employees/

But if you click on the Keep reading --> link, you cannot scroll up past the break: http://caveatemptorblog.com/mcdonalds-publishes-guide-tipping-help-minimum-wage-employees/#more-11741

Edit: In fact, it works for any anchor: http://caveatemptorblog.com/heres-income-inequality-us-looks-like-one-image/#disqus_thread

Any idea what could be causing this? I'm stumped.

Robot Arms fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 10, 2013

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

samglover posted:

I'm getting some weird more tag behavior on my blog, with a custom theme.

This post, for example, looks find if you go to the regular URL: http://caveatemptorblog.com/mcdonalds-publishes-guide-tipping-help-minimum-wage-employees/

But if you click on the Keep reading --> link, you cannot scroll up past the break: http://caveatemptorblog.com/mcdonalds-publishes-guide-tipping-help-minimum-wage-employees/#more-11741

Edit: In fact, it works for any anchor: http://caveatemptorblog.com/heres-income-inequality-us-looks-like-one-image/#disqus_thread

Any idea what could be causing this? I'm stumped.

overflow:hidden on the #page_container is causing it. There's a scroll happening, it's just hidden. You'll need to check it doesn't break anything else, but that should fix the primary problem, it works fine if I delete the rule in devtools.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

caiman posted:

Throw away everything you know about coding because WordPress does things it's own drat way. I only have to do WP stuff when something breaks in a site and the "Wordpress Guys" can't figure it out, and it's quite jarring at times, but I guess after thinking WP for a while, it would get easy. Just remember these two things: Everything is a post. No, really, EVERYTHING is a post.

I'd suggest downloading some popular plugins and just reading through their source to see all the various ways you have to inject your code into WPs event loop, then follow a "build your own theme from scratch" tutorial. Here is one that I did a long while ago that was pretty decent.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The biggest things about Wordpress are, like Lumpy said, everything is a post, and learn The Loop.

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!

RobertKerans posted:

overflow:hidden on the #page_container is causing it. There's a scroll happening, it's just hidden. You'll need to check it doesn't break anything else, but that should fix the primary problem, it works fine if I delete the rule in devtools.

Thank you!

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
Hey guys, I'm having some shortcode woes.

I've built a theme with custom post type Books. One of the features of books is the ability to add retailer links via custom fields. I have a (probably crappily written) function that looks for each of these retailer keys and then spits out pretty buttons. This function is called by a few different templates so the retailer links for a given book can show up on its individual page as various per taxonomy pages. In those contexts, it works great. It looks like this and is the source of my shortcode problems:

code:
function booklinks($id){
	if ( get_post_meta($id, 'amazon', true) ) : ?>
            <a href="<?php echo get_post_meta($id, 'amazon', true) ?>" rel="bookmark" 
class="booklink" onClick="trackOutboundLink(this, 'Outbound Retailer Links', 
'amazon.com', '<?php echo get_the_title(); ?>'); return false;">Amazon</a>
	<?php endif;

//rinse and repeat for several retailers
}
Anywho, back to the shortcode function. This shortcode dumps a bunch of neatly organized Book metadata into a blog post via [book id=###]. Within the shortcode function, I call the booklinks() function. However, because it's full of echos and leaves the PHP tags and just barfs out HTML instead of returning it, it spits out above the entry content and not contained within the shortcode's div. I can't even contain it in a variable and then insert the variable into the return statement because it just barfs poo poo out as soon as functions.php runs. I also can't make each conditional do a return, because it's not an if/else set up and will generate as many buttons as their are matching meta keys.

How can I rewrite this function to play nice with my shortcode? Create an empty string and then concatenate a bunch of stuff for each meta key it encounters and then make it return the string which I can then insert into the shortcode? I'd probably still have to run it as a series of conditionals - I'd like to just make it loop, but the problem with that is I'd need to manually create a complicated array that not only contains the supported meta keys, but the url (for the Analytics event tracking labels), and the proper name that the button displays (so meta key 'bn' shows up as 'Barnes & Noble' on the site, for example).

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Any of you guys in the Atlanta area? I may have some WooCommerce, Paypal IPN stuff coming up that I'll need to outsource. Owner is a 'face to face' type though, so I'd need you local. PM me...could lead to more work, possibly even F/T next year.

Kabz
Jul 29, 2004

Anyone know why the Menu Structure is all messed up under the Appearance tab.
I try to drag the menu out to make a sub-menu, but all that happens is this endless drop down menu of empty slots.

What can I do to fix this, I feel like I can't do anything on my site now.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What browser are you using? Try clearing your cache/cookies/etc, log back in, and see if it still happens.

Usual culprits include plugins/themes that modify the admin interface as well.

Kabz
Jul 29, 2004

Gyshall posted:

What browser are you using? Try clearing your cache/cookies/etc, log back in, and see if it still happens.

Usual culprits include plugins/themes that modify the admin interface as well.

So I did some research and I found that I need to install Google Libraries plugin so it bypasses the wordpress libraries.
This worked, but it still not draggable up and down, just draggable left to right to create sub menu's.

At least I can modify things now, but still the behavior is still a little strange.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Getting this error at the top of some of my wordpress pages. Any ideas?

quote:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/pwtgftvy/public_html/wp/wp-content/themes/responsive/functions.php:100) in /home/pwtgftvy/public_html/wp/wp-login.php on line 415

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/pwtgftvy/public_html/wp/wp-content/themes/responsive/functions.php:100) in /home/pwtgftvy/public_html/wp/wp-login.php on line 427

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy

lol internet. posted:

Getting this error at the top of some of my wordpress pages. Any ideas?

Check your functions.php around line 100 for any loose echo statements (anything outside of a function) or unintentional whitespace outside of <?php ?> tags. All it takes is a single errant space to cause this error, which is a tremendous nuisance.

Details: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8028957/headers-already-sent-by-php

krystal.lynn fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 22, 2013

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
Lately, my buddy's site has been getting a code injection on the header.php.

it's happened maybe every 2 weeks for the past 6 weeks.

I've since changed the passwords to his ftp, and wordpress and hosting provider, but can anyone recommend other necessary steps I should take? Maybe a wordpress plugin, perhaps, that can secure this site.

Looking at the injection, it seems they are using php to insert a script thru a CSS tag or something. (It's an iframe link.)

Any help is appreciated.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

I'd check the plugins and themes.

If it is a shared host it might not be your buddy but someone else on the box who's site isn't properly secured.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

1EI8zlF9UNowWXdFkC51
CvUDSC8wTBo2yioosRE5
Pqk5yeme5t1djCwHTKUL
ifvZumugaDWcKagRgAou
QvY1R8maCTL7RuqXvUZd
0rLEHBya5NErVJ0QsuWK
OGxa3y7H2ayunaJ7U65T
XYvyFubi4e83tYDdV3bG
x9tqxElDKCWKc9TqZlM1
i07Vqzn6qY3cBFH4gzJb

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 28, 2023

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Zero Gravitas posted:

I've been having issues with my site after implementing a new theme that shits the bed if you try to go to (for example) the second page of a category archive. I've tried going back to the theme author for help but he doesnt answer that quickly mainly because he answers about three hours before I get up so its a long time between responses.

I think according to the error log theres a problem with php files not being where they should be - but the files that are being asked for are right where they should be. All told, Im a bit lost.

Heres the transcript so far:

http://industrialthemes.ticksy.com/ticket/137570

The error that's killing you is this one:

[24-Dec-2013 04:26:07 America/Chicago] PHP Warning: require_once(../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../wp-load.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hjsbbrms/public_html/wp-content/themes/flavor/functions/ajax.php on line 10

The reason is that the theme is trying to bootstrap some of WordPress's functions instead of registering their AJAX callbacks. So they need to point to the wp-load.php file in the public_html folder.

The fix is to make sure that the ../../etc. path points to the right place, and since WordPress's folder structure is consistent once you leave an individual theme's folder, you want line 10 in ajax.php to be:
code:
require_once(../../../../wp-load.php)
to make sure it's pointing to the wp-load.php file in the root of the public_html folder.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

SeJIk0JVsl0LG7WtP4RE
35L75ur1SJCl85k43Y1s
c3QTau4bIZbnxnikAWHn
nRtCPoYceJJLo3nBSQ60
v8Du8I3fXAFo2wOTbxdA
bkEN3i7eWRFk0kQ2efLI
7pf8bv86uIihhtOOk7sZ
G4okoBvsW7euNHIHZjh4
2Nwhequ77D96STO963Bu
63sQeiwylcwcylT2U6M2

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 28, 2023

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

caiman posted:

I have to administer some WP sites at work and this is the worst thing about it. Even self-proclaimed WordPress "experts" often just know how to install some drag-and-drop framework and put together a page, or understand the rudiments of PHP only. If you run into technical problems and get on Google you'll turn up pages and pages of stupid, ill-informed advice.

stoops posted:

Lately, my buddy's site has been getting a code injection on the header.php.

it's happened maybe every 2 weeks for the past 6 weeks.

I've since changed the passwords to his ftp, and wordpress and hosting provider, but can anyone recommend other necessary steps I should take? Maybe a wordpress plugin, perhaps, that can secure this site.

Looking at the injection, it seems they are using php to insert a script thru a CSS tag or something. (It's an iframe link.)

Any help is appreciated.

You might want to look into whether the flaw is in WP or on the server. For example, are the effects confined to folders www-data can write to?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 29, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone knows of a plugin that'll let me define what IP(v6) address ranges are allowed to log into the administration interface/dashboard? My ISP does native IPv6 since a while, so I'd like to make use of the hierarchical prefix allocations and a) restrict all admin access to IPv6 addresses only, and b) to only those addresses that originate from my ISP's prefix. As an additional security measurement.

--edit: Nevermind, restricted the wp-admin directory via the Apache site configuration. This is apparently kosher according to WP documentation.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 29, 2013

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Anyone here using Woocommerce? I have a store that is working great and need to export all the products to excel so I can bulk edit things. I installed the store exporter plugin and it works but doesn't seem to bring out the description. Which is obviously pretty important. Any ideas? Site is here http://www.total-outdoors.co.uk

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

thegasman2000 posted:

Anyone here using Woocommerce? I have a store that is working great and need to export all the products to excel so I can bulk edit things. I installed the store exporter plugin and it works but doesn't seem to bring out the description. Which is obviously pretty important. Any ideas? Site is here http://www.total-outdoors.co.uk

Curious, but how are you going to get your edited data back into Woo?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Talking bollocks... Using a plugin imaginatively called woocommerce csv importer. Works fine, as does the original plugin after an update they released today. Woo for woo...

thegasman2000 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 3, 2014

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
My podcast site, Role Playing Public Radio, runs on WordPress. I use jetpack to post new episodes to my twitter, tumblr and Facebook page. For no reason I can discern, it decided to post a bunch of old episodes (some several years old) to all 3 accounts in a few minutes. I deleted them all and disconnected them from Jetpack.

How can I make sure this doesn't happen again?

Edit: asked on the jetpack support forum and turns out it was a bug on their part but they fixed it http://wordpress.org/support/topic/publicize-just-reposted-over-10-old-posts-to-twitter-tumblr-and-facebook?replies=14#post-5063700

clockworkjoe fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 3, 2014

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
Ok I hope someone here will have an answer for the issue I'm having right now.

I'm currently re-designing the website for my organization. Often we operate in areas where internet connection is shoddy, and the ability to post news stories and photos to wordpress by simply emailing them is a hell of a lot easier than logging into an FTP to update the HTML files. The problem is, linking from our site to an external wordpress site looks unprofessional.

I want to pull the most recent news stories to my main site (giving them a character limit to fit spacial constraints), and keep the wordpress site as an archive. I've seen a few tutorials that just pull a list of X number stories and throw them on the page, but that's a but inelegant as well.

Is there a way to link to/display content separately from the most recent, then the second most recent, then the third, etc? I'd like to separate them in this way so that I may serve the content in a more modern looking news feed that scrolls stories. (similar to the stories listed here... http://www.cnet.com/ That's just a completely random example... not styled after that directly or anything.)

Plugins or tutorials on this would be most helpful. Thanks to anyone who reads this.

FYI - My level of knowledge in this area is right around "educated newb" or "annoying script kiddie". I can look at html, css, java, etc and pretty much know whats happening. Writing it always goes wrong for me, but I have decent success at tailoring scavenged code to fit my needs. I'm a design guy.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
If I'm understanding you right, you want to have a WP site that everybody's emailing stuff to post, and then somehow pull that content over to your other non-WP site? If so, and if you can use RSS to pull in the content to the non-WP site, then this should get you moving in the right direction: you want to create a custom RSS feed using a custom loop on the WP site. The custom loop is what will allow you to override the get-in-desc-order-by-post-date thing you're describing.

See also: http://yoast.com/custom-rss-feeds-wordpress/

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
Wordpress has a feature that allows you to post via an email address. Its pretty cool. The subject line is your headline, attached images are posted with the story, and the email body is the story body text. That feature really makes life easier when your internet connection is reliably poo poo, and logging into a FTP server is a nightmare proposition.

Your posted links are what I've been messing around with. It's possible I think, I've just got to figure it all out. I'll try to update if I find anything in case anyone else in interested.

I'm basically trying to pull down the top 5 or so stories and place them in separate /div tags.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
Pull them down from a WordPress site into a non-WordPress site?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
This is more a SEO related question, but does it make sense to strip the blog's tagline from the title on the homepage of the blog, especially when it's set by a plugin as a meta description tag? Or will I shoot myself in the foot by this in regards to discoverability on search engines? Because I'd like the result returning the homepage in Google say "Pretzel's Blog" instead of "Pretzel's Blog | Yadayadayada...".

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The title is a pretty important part of a website when it comes to SEO, so unless the yaddayaddayadda doesn't contain anything people are likely to search, you're probably better off leaving it in. I also think you're overestimating how many people care whether it says "Pretzel's Blog" or "Pretzel's Blog | Yadayadayada..." in Google.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Any ideas for moving an entire woocommerce store to another wordpress install?

I want a duplicate of the store on another domain aimed at another clientbase. I am trying the old export and import but it breaks variations and i am wondering if a sql dump is the way to go.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

thegasman2000 posted:

Any ideas for moving an entire woocommerce store to another wordpress install?

I want a duplicate of the store on another domain aimed at another clientbase. I am trying the old export and import but it breaks variations and i am wondering if a sql dump is the way to go.

Clone the VM? If it's not a VM then p2v it then clone it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Trying to get an idea of a hourly freelance rate. I've been charging super low since i was student, but now have an agency wanting me to do a template. I've been doing Wordpress for about 2 years now. I'm in the mid-west in a small city.