Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
Or you can get the similarly priced 3DS which also has great first party options and actual third party support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Or you can get the similarly priced 3DS which also has great first party options and actual third party support.

What if you already have a 3ds tho? Of course other things cost that same amount or less so whatever.

Man I just really want to play Bayonetta 2 is that so wrong?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Morby posted:

That's a ridiculously low barrier of entry, and the first-party titles are (hopefully) on the way. I have a fuckton of Wii peripherals and Wii games to play. At that price, I'd be cool with waiting for Smash or Mario Kart.

At $350, though? Forget it.

Nintendo games literally hold no sway over me, I have no nostalgia for any of their games.

Literally the only thing on the system for someone like me is Bayonetta 2. If it was Dark Souls II then you might have something.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Man I just really want to play Bayonetta 2 is that so wrong?

A ton of people want to play Bayo 2...they just don't want to buy a WiiU for it. Even after a year, people are STILL port begging despite that being basically impossible.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

TaurusOxford posted:

A ton of people want to play Bayo 2...they just don't want to buy a WiiU for it. Even after a year, people are STILL port begging despite that being basically impossible.

My favourite are the people who would prefer the game not exist at all than be released on the Wii U.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

TheEggsBenedict posted:

That's true, and is definitely something I plan to get in future, but the Vita I got in October fills that role pretty well.

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Nintendo games literally hold no sway over me, I have no nostalgia for any of their games.

Literally the only thing on the system for someone like me is Bayonetta 2. If it was Dark Souls II then you might have something.

See, I still enjoy their first party work and go into each one knowing that there is a high likelihood of picking up a fun, well-designed game (with obvious expeditions like Metroid: Other M, of course). It's stuff you can't really play anywhere else, and that really appeals to me.

TaurusOxford posted:

Yeah, this doesn't really bode well for that title. Bayonetta 2 seems almost set up to fail, at this rate. I'm really hoping Nintendo will finally pump out Smash, Mario Kart, new Zelda, or something else.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

My favourite are the people who would prefer the game not exist at all than be released on the Wii U.
For whatever reason, many gamers are self-entitled rear end wads who throw tantrums when things don't go their way, and then go out of their way to ruin the enjoyment for others. If something's a personal problem, such as Bayonetta 2 being on a console they don't own nor plan to own, they go out of their way to make it a problem for everyone else. In this case, to the point where Hideki Kamiya hates talking about his own game.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Edit: /\/\/\ - to be fair, Kamiya HAD to have seen that coming. He knows enough about the "vocal minority gamer" that he knew putting Bayo 2 on WiiU (despite really having no choice about it) would result in rage.

Morby posted:

Yeah, this doesn't really bode well for that title. Bayonetta 2 seems almost set up to fail, at this rate. I'm really hoping Nintendo will finally pump out Smash, Mario Kart, new Zelda, or something else.

It's totally doomed to tank in sales, just like W101 did.

Mario Kart is due in Spring, Smash is going to take another year at least, and the only Zelda we have any word of is a Dynasty Warriors-crossover.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 2, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Edit: /\/\/\ - to be fair, Kamiya HAD to have seen that coming. He knows enough about the "vocal minority gamer" that he knew putting Bayo 2 on WiiU (despite really having no choice about it) would result in rage.

He really couldn't have seen it coming because fans being angry at getting a sequel to a game to the point they wish it wouldn't exist is such an insanely stupid thing there's no word for it. Even, say, Valkyria Chronicles fans say at worst "boy, I wish it was on the PS3 instead of PSP' instead of that. It is the definition of entitled gamer bullshit mixed with the absolute worst console warrior bullshit.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Sorry is there a story behind Bayonetta 2 being a Wii U exclusive for some reason? I always wondered how Nintendo got it as an exclusive.

Count me in as one of those people who really really really want to play Bayonetta 2 but I don't want to buy a Wii U for it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Bayonetta 2 is being developed on Nintendo's dime. Unlike a paid or timed exclusive, this is a case where the game wouldn't have been made at all otherwise.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Sorry is there a story behind Bayonetta 2 being a Wii U exclusive for some reason? I always wondered how Nintendo got it as an exclusive.

Count me in as one of those people who really really really want to play Bayonetta 2 but I don't want to buy a Wii U for it.

Nobody was going to fund its production, Nintendo said "we'll front the cash if you put it on our system." If it wasn't on WiiU, it wouldn't exist.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Because nobody else was willing to publish it.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Morby posted:

I love how this list of games Nintendo needs to put out to save the WiiU comes up all the time, and each time it gets smaller, and as stuff gets released that is on the list and does poorly, people switch it out for another old franchise of theirs.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Mario Paint U is clearly the title that is going to save the Wii U. :v:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

mayodreams posted:

Mario Paint U is clearly the title that is going to save the Wii U. :v:

Honestly, that's actually not a bad idea. It would be a good use for the touchscreen, and be a game that actually makes an argument for the touchscreen existing.

It obviously wouldn't save the system, but it would certainly be pretty neat.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

King of Solomon posted:

Honestly, that's actually not a bad idea. It would be a good use for the touchscreen, and be a game that actually makes an argument for the touchscreen existing.

It obviously wouldn't save the system, but it would certainly be pretty neat.

I have been wanting to draw dicks in high def, so why not? The Mario Paint from this LP thread had me in tears, and I would love to see them do a new version with the Sonic and Mario erotic fan art theme.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3541078

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

I love how this list of games Nintendo needs to put out to save the WiiU comes up all the time, and each time it gets smaller, and as stuff gets released that is on the list and does poorly, people switch it out for another old franchise of theirs.

No one thinks any of them will right the ship and make this a successful console(or if they do they are wrong). I think they are proposing ideas to stop it from turtling completely. Statements like "everything will be fine when <list of games> come out" seems clearly untrue, whereas statements like "Everything might be okay and Nintendo won't have to discontinue the console if <list of games> come out in <timeframe>" seem reasonable. I think is what people are going for when they say things like that. (Feel free to correct me, people whose statements I'm trying to clarify.)

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Morby posted:

Bayonetta 2 just exists so Platinum can see another game they made tank because it's not Metal Gear Rising: Revengence II. Seriously the reception to all the games they've released plays out like the ending to Blackadder Goes Forth.

The PC Port to Revengence is probably going to be it's best seller of all time. So it's bound to keep the company afloat simply because it's available on Steam.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 2, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Taint Reaper posted:

Bayonetta 2 just exists so Platinum can see another game they made tank because it's not Metal Gear Rising: Revengence II. Seriously the reception to all the games they've released plays out like the ending to Blackadder Goes Forth.

The PC Port to Revengence is probably going to be it's best seller of all time. So it's bound to keep the company afloat simply because it's available on Steam.

Wouldn't Konami be making most of the money anyways as they are the publisher? And as much as I love Revengeance, I doubt the PC version alone will sell more than Bayonetta has across consoles(1.3mil? 1.4mil?). Maybe if you meant PC + console sales.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Wouldn't Konami be making most of the money anyways as they are the publisher? And as much as I love Revengeance, I doubt the PC version alone will sell more than Bayonetta has across consoles(1.3mil? 1.4mil?). Maybe if you meant PC + console sales.

It's starting out at a bargain price. Give it a steam sale or two and it's probably going to sell pretty well by the end of 2014.

Hell Skyrim is still selling well on the PC and is doing amazing each time it's a Daily deal/Community Choice/Flash Sale.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Do you have that link showing no Wii U games in the top 1000 pre-orders for games on Amazon in 2014? I'd like to see where you found that.

I misread their data. I was going by the rankings of each games sales in terms of sales in Videogames overall (including currently released games, bundles, and peripherals), not strictly preorderded games. When I last checked, each WiiU game was ranked in the mid to low 1000's, with X at 3200. Since then, Mario Kart 8 has increased to 723rd place.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Hell Skyrim is still selling well on the PC and is doing amazing each time it's a Daily deal/Community Choice/Flash Sale.

Skyrim has much, much more broad appeal than Revengeance. It also has far greater longevity due to mods, etc.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

At this point, I just hope all the cool fun exclusives come out and exist so that I can own them, and in 10 years, look at my WiiU fondly and say "that was a good fun system with good fun games, I'm glad I gave up buying these toys after this one".

I imagine its kinda what Dreamcast fanboys feel, except with games involved.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

hubris.height posted:

I imagine its kinda what Dreamcast fanboys feel, except with games involved.

500+ hours logged in PSO/PSO v.2

No regrets.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Obviously those titles alone won't singlehandedly save WiiU, but they'll help. I can't be the only person sitting on the fence waiting for first-party stuff to come out for the console. I mean, I got a PS4 at launch with the understanding that most of the really big stuff (Watch Dogs, Drive Club, Infamous:SS) would be day 2 purchases. At least they are slated to be all out by June, and I see progress on those projects. 6 months is a totally reasonable timeframe to wait, but WiiU has been out way, WAY too long not to have their strong first party titles.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Morby posted:

At least they are slated to be all out by June, and I see progress on those projects. 6 months is a totally reasonable timeframe to wait, but WiiU has been out way, WAY too long not to have their strong first party titles.

Here's what Nintendo published on Wii U in its first year:

New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
SiNG PARTY
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Lego City Undercover
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3
New Super Luigi U
The Wonderful 101
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Wii Party U
Wii Fit U
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
Super Mario 3D World

Here's what Sega published on DC in its first year:

Sonic Adventure
Sega Rally Championship 2
Virtua Fighter 3TB
Sega Bass Fishing
Blue Stinger
Toy Commander
Flag to Flag
NBA 2K
NFL 2K
Dynamite Cop
Maken X
Rippin' Riders Snowboarding
Sega Swirl
Virtua Striker 2
Zombie Revenge
Chu Chu Rocket!
Crazy Taxi
Samba de Amigo
Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram
Space Channel 5
Seaman
Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future
Sega Marine Fishing
Sega GT
D2

Here's what Sony published on PS2 in its first year:

FantaVision
NFL GameDay 2001
NCAA Final Four 2001
NCAA Gamebreaker 2001
ATV Offroad Fury
NHL FaceOff 2001
NBA Shootout 2001
Cool Boarders 2001
Dark Cloud
Twisted Metal: Black
Gran Turismo 3 A-spec
Extermination
Formula One 2001
Ico
Okage: Shadow King
Kinetica

I think the take away is that you can first party publish like a motherfucker and still fail... and you can dump out a bunch of sports games and niche titles and win everything.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
i think the real takeaway from all this is where the gently caress is my Fantavision 2 Sony?! :mad:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

zenintrude posted:

I think the take away is that you can first party publish like a motherfucker and still fail... and you can dump out a bunch of sports games and niche titles and win everything.

In terms of total lineups the DC and the WiiU lost 3rd party support ridiculously fast when more powerful hardware was approaching the market from Sony and their systems weren't selling strongly enough to overcome how badly they burned 3rd parties in the past.

And the PS2 had Gran Turismo 3 which sold 15 million copies and is basically the definition of a system seller.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

zenintrude posted:

500+ hours logged in PSO/PSO v.2

No regrets.

You know, I still think PSO2 would do pretty well on the WiiU. :kiddo: Just about everybody who played it did so on the gamecube back in the day. I've got a bunch of friends that still think of it as a Nintendo game.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The controller realization has killed the idea of buying a Wii U for Smash Bros. for me.
On top of the system I would pretty much just be buying 4 pro controllers for that one game. My friends have all felt the same way and we never take smash or fighting games seriously. Then again everyone I enjoyed local smash with from high school and college now live in different corners of the Earth so I guess it's a non-issue. :smith:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Heran Bago posted:

The controller realization has killed the idea of buying a Wii U for Smash Bros. for me.
On top of the system I would pretty much just be buying 4 pro controllers for that one game. My friends have all felt the same way and we never take smash or fighting games seriously. Then again everyone I enjoyed local smash with from high school and college now live in different corners of the Earth so I guess it's a non-issue. :smith:

When people say that Smash on the 3DS is going to cannibalize Wii U sales, I always forget got people can be really picky about their controller choices for that game... Is the 3DS even a viable option for controls with that game?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

In the sense that it has enough buttons and they're laid out suitably for the game, yeah, the 3DS will be fine. Not gonna be nearly as comfy as a Pro Controller though.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Astro7x posted:

When people say that Smash on the 3DS is going to cannibalize Wii U sales, I always forget got people can be really picky about their controller choices for that game... Is the 3DS even a viable option for controls with that game?

The only thing the 3DS lacks is a second analog stick for quick smashes, which isn't much of a hindrance.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

THE loving MOON posted:

You know, I still think PSO2 would do pretty well on the WiiU. :kiddo: Just about everybody who played it did so on the gamecube back in the day. I've got a bunch of friends that still think of it as a Nintendo game.

I played it on the Dreamcast and Gamecube and realized how much of a pain in the rear end it was to do it on the gamecube. Having to buy a network adapter, then the game, then the subscription, then a keyboard converter just to play a grand total of about 2 games was not my idea of fun.

I do miss the original PSO though. I had some good times with that game.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

TaurusOxford posted:

The only thing the 3DS lacks is a second analog stick for quick smashes, which isn't much of a hindrance.

Just get the second stick addon they use for monster hunter. If that even is going to work in the first place.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

blackguy32 posted:

I do miss the original PSO though. I had some good times with that game.

My main memory of the original pso on the DC is that I somehow tricked it into using juno internet for free in order to play. Was that a widespread thing or something limited to whatever forums (Cloudchaser?) I was hiding out on at the time?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

citizenlowell posted:

My main memory of the original pso on the DC is that I somehow tricked it into using juno internet for free in order to play. Was that a widespread thing or something limited to whatever forums (Cloudchaser?) I was hiding out on at the time?

You could get the DC to work with Juno, NetZero, and other services that typically used proprietary apps to get you onto the net... it was pretty well known at the time.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

zenintrude posted:

You could get the DC to work with Juno, NetZero, and other services that typically used proprietary apps to get you onto the net... it was pretty well known at the time.

You could also switch the region to your system rather easily ensuring that you would be able to play the games from other regions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

zenintrude posted:

Here's what Nintendo published on Wii U in its first year:

Sega publishes the Mario and Sonic games, don't they?

• Locked thread