Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

rantmo posted:

It took me the better part of a day to narrow down the list of possibilities to it. It doesn't help that the tracking on stamps.com is slightly worse than completely useless.

Ah yes, a PACKAGE from LOCATION 3021 being sent by [REDACTED] is totally not going to make me paranoid that something terrible is going to be showing up on my doorstep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Ohhh, -that's- what PSI was sending me that my mailman arbitrarily didn't deliver today. I was sort of assuming it was Zombicide, which is in the process of shipping and has actually updated to that effect, unlike Better Angels.

Liet
Oct 7, 2003
I too mistook the shipping info for that of another project. Ambiguous emails are my favorite kind. On top of the ambiguity, the address in the confirmation email sent doesn't even have my suite number. They're 0 for 2 with me.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I've been in playing in a Better Angels campaign for some time. We playtested the rules and our GM is writing a campaign for BA for Arc Dream. It's been quite fun so far. Tonight we faced a demon who managed to free itself from the human host. poo poo got real.

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

Didn't see it mentioned elsewhere, so I figured this is the place for it:

http://bundleofholding.com/index/current

Current bundle is Unknown Armies and a bunch of supplements, presumably more to come.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Tsed posted:

Didn't see it mentioned elsewhere, so I figured this is the place for it:

http://bundleofholding.com/index/current

Current bundle is Unknown Armies and a bunch of supplements, presumably more to come.

Never heard of this site before. But pretty tempted to pick it up. I love UA but don't have access to the books anymore so I have a totally legitimate reason to pick it up, right?

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
That was my excuse! Also they're adding Godwalker, the Unknown Armies novel featuring the Freak throwing down with a Major-charged Entropomancer, to the bundle on Monday.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Doodmons posted:

That was my excuse! Also they're adding Godwalker, the Unknown Armies novel featuring the Freak throwing down with a Major-charged Entropomancer, to the bundle on Monday.

Trust me, it's worth it for Godwalker alone! Buy it, people!

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
This is probably a bit late, but what did those of you who picked it up / kickstarted it think of the audiobook for Mask of the Other? I actually really liked it and want to see more of Greg Stolze's work transition into other mediums.

Also I'm pretty psyched for Godwalker, even if I don't usually enjoy pdf's of actual books. ^^"

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I just finished reading the UA core book, and I really want to run this thing now. Even the story time flavor text is good. I have a bunch of people who love this kind of poo poo.

I've found pdf reference sheets for combat, and stress checks, but has anyone tracked down the one for magic and tilts? Tilts is the main thing I can't keep memorized.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I've found pdf reference sheets for combat, and stress checks, but has anyone tracked down the one for magic and tilts? Tilts is the main thing I can't keep memorized.

I make my players print out stuff like magic rules for themselves and honestly, something like Tilts shouldn't come up that often. Unless that's your thing.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I just finished reading the UA core book, and I really want to run this thing now. Even the story time flavor text is good. I have a bunch of people who love this kind of poo poo.

Could you link the combat and stress check PDFs? Those sound handy.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
If only this was a sign that there was fresh Unknown Armies coming. I finally got my hardcover of 'To Go' after a seriously absurd amount of ebay hunting, and, inevitably, my UA group has disintegrated off into the seven hills.

Tilts will probably never comes up unless you're specifically building your campaign around 'em.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Doodmons posted:

Could you link the combat and stress check PDFs? Those sound handy.
Sure!
http://fading-suns.mapache.org/u/stresses.pdf
http://www.geocities.ws/pbrennan42/uacombat_v2.pdf

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Wild Talents question: Can the No Upward Limit extra take the width of an attack beyond 10 dice? I know there's the hard limit that you can only roll 10 dice, but I don't think I've seen anywhere that there's a limit on the width you can have. The thing I'm thinking is that 10HD Invulnerability is supposed to make you literally undamageable within the system, but someone with NUL can increase their attack's width beyond 10, and then only 10 width is removed by the Interference, so the attack still goes off.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Squidster posted:

If only this was a sign that there was fresh Unknown Armies coming. I finally got my hardcover of 'To Go' after a seriously absurd amount of ebay hunting, and, inevitably, my UA group has disintegrated off into the seven hills.

To Go is stupidly good. Even just reading it has upped my game on how I write and plan my group's games.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Doodmons posted:

Wild Talents question: Can the No Upward Limit extra take the width of an attack beyond 10 dice? I know there's the hard limit that you can only roll 10 dice, but I don't think I've seen anywhere that there's a limit on the width you can have.
General ORE response (I don't have Wild Talents), the only reasons you can only roll 10 dice is to prevent gaining a guaranteed success through sheer volume (since it's impossible not to roll at least one pair with X+1 dX's). Results derived from your roll (such as damage in Reign, which is width + modifier) have no upper limits, to my recollection.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.

Doodmons posted:

Wild Talents question: Can the No Upward Limit extra take the width of an attack beyond 10 dice? I know there's the hard limit that you can only roll 10 dice, but I don't think I've seen anywhere that there's a limit on the width you can have. The thing I'm thinking is that 10HD Invulnerability is supposed to make you literally undamageable within the system, but someone with NUL can increase their attack's width beyond 10, and then only 10 width is removed by the Interference, so the attack still goes off.

If you have enough willpower to spend, I think you may be able to increase it beyond ten width. By the same token, someone with 10HD Invulnerability that also has no upper limit could also boost themselves to similar levels. The reasoning for this rules interpretation is derived from the following passage on page 120 of Wild Talents Essential Edition:

quote:

There’s no limit to the amount of Willpower you can spend to increase the power’s
capacity or width—you can even extend the width of your roll beyond the size of your
dice pool—but you must spend the Willpower before you roll.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Has anyone experimented with using the Company rules in other ORE games? I was inspired by politically conscious comic books and the old Underground RPG, and I think a game where misbegotten superheroes try to really save their city could be a blast.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
That would be a natural fit for eCollapse with ORE rules, actually.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So, Unknown Armies might reboot in 2015.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

HO MY GOD. Fetch my skull-bong and a chilled bottle of 1999 virgin tears, and let us ascend through the eternal drivethru at 3rd and Truth Ave!

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Honestly, the major thing that needs to be done with the reboot is push the setting forward to present day.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I'd like to see some stuff too for putting it in ORE or a more rules light system too.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm not sure what you'd strip away to make UA more rules light honestly, it's already pretty light as it is. A percentile resolution system, you make most of the skills you have up, you choose a few stimuli, and off you go. Magic doesn't really add that much in terms of crunch on top of that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I would like to see it in ORE too, if only because ORE is unique and neat whereas I'm a little prejudiced against bog-standard percentile systems for being, well, kinda dull.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I think what UA needs is, in this order:

1) More concrete advice on how to set up adventures and interesting situations for the players, i.e. "how do I actually play this thing"
2) Less detail about the factions and NPCs of the setting, more detail about their feel and themes, so each GM can warp the setting to make it work for them
3) A more interesting system

I'm not too familiar with it, but Don't Rest Your Head is an indie game that features both a madness system with fight or flight and weird magick-like powers that are psychologically costly to use. It'd be nice to see something similar for UA, a system that's designed around these things which are the most important aspects of the game.

Either way, I'm very happy to see a possible reboot in the works. Here's to hoping for less pages of metaplot and lame "canon NPCs"!

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Cyphoderus posted:

Here's to hoping for less pages of metaplot and lame "canon NPCs"!

Luckily very few of the "canon NPCs"! were lame. The Freak, The Count, Alex Abel, etc are all exceedingly good, actually.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
On a related note, I want to see Satan's Chosen Temple reimagined as Juggalos.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

The Freak and St. Germain were both unbeatable, unkillable godbosses. Neither has stats, and they're cosmic constants in a game about shifting chaos. They could easily become two-legged railroad tracks in the hands of a poor dm.

I feel like most of the canon NPCs are great evocative characters who work great in a traditional narrative, but don't really work as well in a player-driven setting.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Squidster posted:

The Freak and St. Germain were both unbeatable, unkillable godbosses. Neither has stats, and they're cosmic constants in a game about shifting chaos. They could easily become two-legged railroad tracks in the hands of a poor dm.

I feel like most of the canon NPCs are great evocative characters who work great in a traditional narrative, but don't really work as well in a player-driven setting.

Yeah, UA's concepts are going to be awful poo poo in the hands of a poor GM. This goes with anything. The Freak and St. Germain aren't there to be bossfights you put your party up against. They're also not really supposed to be like, quest givers or DMPCs. They're just part of the setting, as I see it, and at worst occasional plot devices.

As for "contants in a game about shifting chaos", The Freak, St. Germain, and Alex Abel are both notorious/powerful for how they interact with the "rules" of the setting. The Freak abused how magic[k] works to become a terrifying monster, St. Germain apparently exists due to how the universe functions on a metaphysical level, and Alex Abel's whole deal is he came close to ascending and is now taking it out on all magic[k] anywhere. They exemplify how the world of UA works, in different ways. Magic[k] is bad for you!

Edit: As an aside, I agree that in general the canon NPCs are never to be taken off of the shelf except in extremely rare circumstances and only by a skilled GM. If I recall correct, the books say as much.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
For an RPG that was ahead of it's time in so many ways, the specifics of the setting are just about the only thing that sticks out like a sore thumb. I'd expect to see the rumors section expanded greatly, since they're such a huge part of the ongoing support done Tyne's website. I could see "building your own occult underground" as a new GM tool. Keep St. Germain as a constant in all worlds, but, y'know, I could take the McDonalds cult or leave it.

Those rumors, I tell you, were the harbinger of that Night Vale and Weird Twitter style of postmodern horror so popular in these times. We should have listened.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Capntastic posted:

Yeah, UA's concepts are going to be awful poo poo in the hands of a poor GM. This goes with anything. The Freak and St. Germain aren't there to be bossfights you put your party up against. They're also not really supposed to be like, quest givers or DMPCs. They're just part of the setting, as I see it, and at worst occasional plot devices.

That's a thing I like about UA; yeah there are super-high-level NPCs who could squish you easily, but they're not "end bosses" or Elminster-style quest dispensers. They're powerful people who don't give two shits about you (until you cross them) because the world's full of people who don't give two shits about you (until you cross them). It's entirely possible to live your whole life and never even get close to interacting with them, but they're still there and they may or may not have an influence on your life.

Mimir posted:

For an RPG that was ahead of it's time in so many ways, the specifics of the setting are just about the only thing that sticks out like a sore thumb. I'd expect to see the rumors section expanded greatly, since they're such a huge part of the ongoing support done Tyne's website. I could see "building your own occult underground" as a new GM tool. Keep St. Germain as a constant in all worlds, but, y'know, I could take the McDonalds cult or leave it.

Those rumors, I tell you, were the harbinger of that Night Vale and Weird Twitter style of postmodern horror so popular in these times. We should have listened.
I'm surprised there isn't a "UA rumors" Twitter feed.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Squidster posted:

The Freak and St. Germain were both unbeatable, unkillable godbosses. Neither has stats, and they're cosmic constants in a game about shifting chaos.

Isn't that most of the enemies in Call of Cthulhu, minus the stats?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Almost every setting has "gods" of some sort or another. You can't blame the setting if a GM uses them in a poorly-thought out scenario. And I think "gods" play an important role in any game--there always has to be someone tougher than you, or things get boring.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Sad Mammal posted:

Isn't that most of the enemies in Call of Cthulhu, minus the stats?
Yeah, but the tone in the respective games is very distinct. CoC, as I understand it, is about defiant ants staging a doomed last stand against the crushing boot of an indifferent cosmos. Unknown Armies is about selfish, bickering ants loving each other over to rule the tottering anthill.

UA's mission statement and catchphrase, You Did It, establishes that the game is about free will and consequences. It also implies You Can Do It - any obsession, with enough power and sacrifice can be accomplished. You want all of humanity to wake up tomorrow as hermaphrodites? No? How about a chance to eat Hitler's still-beating heart between double-down patties? Or maybe you want to record San Francisco on audio cassette to win the love of Philadelphia?

All valid, achievable Unknown Armies goals.

You Can Do It, and if you're willing to play by the rules and pay the price, You Can Do Anything. Having an invulnerable plot device who can cancel out player agency is bad in all RPGs, but extra dissonant in UA.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
You can still thwart a god. Sure it will most likely come at tremendous cost, but at least you got to stick your middle finger into the face of a deity.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Both of 'em are granite-cast metaplot, and I feel that it doesn't match the setting's central paradigm to have unkillable gods at all. Treat them as gigantic fuckoff wannabe-gods that should have PCs pissing their pants, sure, but the Freak and co shouldn't be pet deus ex machinas.

In a campaign that wrapped up last year, I had an Automaton try to ascend as The New Flesh by instigating a Epidomancer civil war. After all but 2 adepts were destroyed, leaving only the Freak and a player character, the Automaton made a final bid to harvest the Freak, and incorporate the Godwalker into itself, effectively hijacking its way into the Celestial Clergy. When the dust settled, New York was a deserted plague camp, and the Freak owes them all a favour.

But I made it clear that the players could support either side and expect to win - gods or not, they have to be fallible and breakable to fit with UA themes.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Here's what UA says about The Freak, etc:

"No stats are provided for the Freak. Like the Comte de St-Germain, the Freak is an unstoppable, unkillable, near-omnipotent plot device, a fable that walks. Use it as such."

In Stolze's novella Godwalker, the Freak nearly gets taken out by two adepts. If a GM wanted to have a campaign centered around killing or even seriously interfering with The Freak, it could certainly be doable. UA is all about doing the impossible.

I think it's pretty wise of them to not stat certain things up, because then you have people saying "well, by all rights I should be able to solo them with this build". It's like how D&D has literal gods and devils statted out and then you can make a character with max charisma to convince them to do your bidding.

Conversely to all of this, Progenitor's Amanda Sykes (an insanely superpowerful housewife) is statted out. Oh well.

Edit: Squidster's image didn't load for me until I submitted this!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
The Freak can be beaten, just not physically. Do something it didn't account for. It's that the ideas in The Freak's presentation are interesting that makes The Freak a good NPC, a line in the book saying it can't be beaten doesn't just automatically make it suck.