Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aizen
Dec 24, 2006
I like making love to mother.
I read a post from some goon who said he used Google Voice to make calls with Android. I got a Nexus 7 2013 recently and I've been trying to do the same thing, but haven't been able to figure it out. When I use Google Voice it tells me it's "connecting me" but then nothing happens. I've tried downloading a number of other apps like TextPlus, GrooVe IP, Talkatone, etc. that supposedly allow free calls, but half of them just don't work, and the other half I've been to call a real phone and hear "hello" before it just completely cuts out on both sides (and then I can't make calls at all until I close out of the app and reopen it). Is there any way that I can make calls with this tablet, or is it just a bad idea and I should give up? I've been using Google Voice to make calls with my laptop and Gmail just fine for years now, I figured I should be able to do the same with a Nexus 7 without so much trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Aizen posted:

I read a post from some goon who said he used Google Voice to make calls with Android. I got a Nexus 7 2013 recently and I've been trying to do the same thing, but haven't been able to figure it out. When I use Google Voice it tells me it's "connecting me" but then nothing happens. I've tried downloading a number of other apps like TextPlus, GrooVe IP, Talkatone, etc. that supposedly allow free calls, but half of them just don't work, and the other half I've been to call a real phone and hear "hello" before it just completely cuts out on both sides (and then I can't make calls at all until I close out of the app and reopen it). Is there any way that I can make calls with this tablet, or is it just a bad idea and I should give up? I've been using Google Voice to make calls with my laptop and Gmail just fine for years now, I figured I should be able to do the same with a Nexus 7 without so much trouble.

I wouldn't put too much work in to getting it working, as Google is blocking the ability of apps to do this starting in March.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Ugh, I got that unlucky drop with my Nexus 7 2013 and the screen cracked and the sensitivity is borked. Problem is I live in Belgium but I bought it over in the States because it was a lot cheaper. Am I poo poo out of luck now? I have absolutely no idea who I have to contact for tech support.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
So I just got myself a Nexus 7 as a late Christmas gift. I'm really loving this thing so far. I've already got a few essential apps installed like spotify (which to my surprise, doesn't shuffle my music like the mobile version) and Netflix. What are some basic things I can do to get the most out of my new tablet?

Also, does anyone have a good case recommendation around the $30 range?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I have the Poetic Slimline. Super cheap, non obtrusive and as the magnetic cover that turns on/off the screen.

Bluerex cases are a bit bulkier but offer more protection though. Not too much more expensive last I checked.

Aizen
Dec 24, 2006
I like making love to mother.

Thermopyle posted:

I wouldn't put too much work in to getting it working, as Google is blocking the ability of apps to do this starting in March.

Ah, that's a bummer. So not even Google Voice will be able to do it anymore?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Aizen posted:

Google Voice will be merged into Hangouts soon, as was always intended.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

What's the general consensus on the Galaxy Note 10.1 vs the Surface Pro 2 price aside? I've been thinking about picking up a tablet for a while and really like the idea of being able to use it for sketching. I've a 5 inch phone (HTC One) so I don't really see the use of the 8's.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Aizen posted:

Actually, Google Voice doesn't make calls over the internet.

See this post of mine.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm curious, is there some way to set my Nexus 7 up as a sort of Bluetooth headset for my IPhone 4s? It'd be pretty handy if I could take calls from my phone on this thing too. I'm guessing there isn't a way after a quick Google, but it never hurts to ask someone a bit more knowledgeable than me I suppose.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I'm going to assume the answer to this is "YES", but is it expected that there will be a 2014 Nexus 7?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Krime posted:

I'm going to assume the answer to this is "YES", but is it expected that there will be a 2014 Nexus 7?

Yes. :v:

They'll probably have one with some new Snapdragon (or Intel maybe) processor.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yes. :v:

They'll probably have one with some new Snapdragon (or Intel maybe) processor.

Cool. I was going to drop some Christmas cash on a 2013 Nexus 7, but I can wait.

I'd really love to nab an LTE enabled 2014 Nexus 7. :swoon:

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Don't expect the LTE 2014 until like August or September though. If you don't already have a good tablet, you shouldn't bother waiting.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Is there an easy way to transfer apps and settings from a galaxy S3 to a nexus 7? Never rooted it but have it very customized so would like to basically just import it.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Helium should work, unrooted you'll need to connect to your PC for it to be able to run the backup & restore commands. It'll get you apps and their settings, OS settings you'll need to do manually

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I'll check it out thanks

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Krime posted:

Cool. I was going to drop some Christmas cash on a 2013 Nexus 7, but I can wait.

FYI that's usually summer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If they stick to the same release schedules, regular should come out July-August. LTE a month or so after.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hope they get rid of the goofy bezel design. That's my only complaint and it's kind of a big peeve for me.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Aargh posted:

What's the general consensus on the Galaxy Note 10.1 vs the Surface Pro 2 price aside? I've been thinking about picking up a tablet for a while and really like the idea of being able to use it for sketching. I've a 5 inch phone (HTC One) so I don't really see the use of the 8's.

Probably not a comparison many people are making, as one is a manufacturer-skinned android tablet with a decent stylus support, the other is a new generation Windows tablet. Play with both in a store, do the things you'll want them for (sketch) and you'll have to make your own decision.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

Anyone got a suggestion for a second-gen N7 case that has a spot for a small paper notebook inside as well? All the options I've seen so far are either over a hundred dollars or for the first-gen N7.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Must Love Dogs posted:

Anyone got a suggestion for a second-gen N7 case that has a spot for a small paper notebook inside as well? All the options I've seen so far are either over a hundred dollars or for the first-gen N7.
What kind of case do you want? I keep mine in a Case Logic zipped-sleeve which has space for a notebook or similar in with the tablet. But that's because I don't really see the appeal in a case that stays attached when I don't walk around using my tablet so why would I ever drop it?

Tunga fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 1, 2014

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Cakefool posted:

Probably not a comparison many people are making, as one is a manufacturer-skinned android tablet with a decent stylus support, the other is a new generation Windows tablet. Play with both in a store, do the things you'll want them for (sketch) and you'll have to make your own decision.

Yeah after writing that I had a look in creative convention realising there's a wacom thread, I was off on holidays but I'll go into a store today and have a look. I think I'll get a Surface Pro now but I'm sure my opinion will change.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
A question along these lines, too: I found some iPad sleeves that were designed specifically for keeping your iPad in a binder.
http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Jones-Binder-tablets-screens/dp/B00ASH3BI8/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1388612754&sr=1-1

Does anyone make something like this for the non Apple tablets? It seems like it'd be a lot more convenient for some to have find a zippered up multi-purpose binder that they like and quickly pop in an out as needed.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why on earth would you want to keep your tablet in a ring binder?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Krime posted:

Nope, never. Google is canceling Android.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Krime posted:

The LTE N7 2013 just came out, like, two months ago (it came out several months after the N7 2013 came out) and works great. You'll likely be waiting 8-10 months, whereas I'd have to imagine the 2013 N7 will do everything you want it to

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Nope, never. Google is canceling Android.

Was the 2012 Nexus 7 perfect? So perfect it didn't need a 2013 update?

I've heard no complaints about the 2013 version and figured there could be a possibility there wouldn't be a 2014 refresh.

Sorry for asking a logical question though and thanks for your friendly help!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

waffle posted:

The LTE N7 2013 just came out, like, two months ago (it came out several months after the N7 2013 came out) and works great. You'll likely be waiting 8-10 months, whereas I'd have to imagine the 2013 N7 will do everything you want it to
Just to be clear, the Nexus 7 2013 was released in late July and the LTE model was early September. That's for the US, for some other regions they were closer together (but later).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Krime posted:

I've heard no complaints about the 2013 version and figured there could be a possibility there wouldn't be a 2014 refresh.

There was no concrete evidence of a 2013 model until a couple weeks before it was released. How could anybody possibly know what will or won't be coming out 7 months from now?

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

Tunga posted:

What kind of case do you want? I keep mine in a Case Logic zipped-sleeve which has space for a notebook or similar in with the tablet. But that's because I don't really see the appeal in a case that stays attached when I don't walk around using my tablet so why would I ever drop it?

Something akin to this without the ridiculous price and ludicrous custom notepad.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
My tablet slowly loses battery life slowly when I have it 'charging' off of a computer's USB port, and I am using it to watch videos at the same time. Is this normal, common, or expected? It doesn't really charge off the PC's USB port, it only slows down the battery draining. But it will charge just fine when I have it plugged into a wall-wart, even while using it.

The strangest thing is that when it's plugged into my PC, the power will drain and then it will reach 0% but the tablet won't power off and I can continue to use it, but the moment I unplug it from the PC then it will start the automatic shutdown procedure and power itself off. Is this expected?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Regular USB port spec is 500mA, which generally isn't enough to keep a tablet powered while working AND charge it.

Wall warts run anywhere from 700mA to 3A+.

When the battery shows 0%, there's still some, and the computer is doing just enough to keep it alive. When you disconnect, then the emergency shutdown procedure needs to kick in.

So yes. Everything you're seeing is perfectly normal and expected.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know which tablet you have, but my 2013 N7 manual stated that in order to use and charge the tablet, it has to be plugged into the provided charger. The only way to charge from a USB port is to have the tablet's screen be off at the least or entirely off.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Is it safe to charge my GS4 and bluetooth headset with my Nexus charger though? I heard somewhere that the N7 charger is beefier than something like the Galaxy charger; is that just bullshit?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's still 5 volts. All the higher amperage does is charge it faster.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

Regular USB port spec is 500mA, which generally isn't enough to keep a tablet powered while working AND charge it.

Wall warts run anywhere from 700mA to 3A+.

When the battery shows 0%, there's still some, and the computer is doing just enough to keep it alive. When you disconnect, then the emergency shutdown procedure needs to kick in.

So yes. Everything you're seeing is perfectly normal and expected.

Thanks for the reassurance!

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know which tablet you have, but my 2013 N7 manual stated that in order to use and charge the tablet, it has to be plugged into the provided charger. The only way to charge from a USB port is to have the tablet's screen be off at the least or entirely off.

Cool deal, thanks, I appreciate it!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

It's still 5 volts. All the higher amperage does is charge it faster.

And if Samsung and the headset maker aren't completely incompetent, the charging circuits in the devices will limit it to the safe charging current, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Krime posted:

I had a complaint which made me return mine. It simply was too slow rendering and dealing with large textbook PDFs. The screen size is another story and that wasn't great for that purpose either, but if panning around was smooth I would have been fine with it.

Not sure if it's an issue with the hardware as some PDF readers worked better, but overall it was pretty abysmal even compared to the old iPad mini.