Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Guess we shoulda taken VY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

That's not a fair comparison at all. Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles and hell even DEREK loving CARR are light years better than Vince Young ever was as a passer.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Why don't you like Derek Carr? I mean all of this is too early anyway. The QB shakeup doesn't happen until after the combine.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kirios posted:

That's not a fair comparison at all. Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles and hell even DEREK loving CARR are light years better than Vince Young ever was as a passer.

It's a fair comparison because you're at this point seemingly saying we need to take a QB any QB no matter what

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Who do the bucs take in their slot? Mosely?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Intruder posted:

It's a fair comparison because you're at this point seemingly saying we need to take a QB any QB no matter what

Within reason of course. If all of the quarterbacks fall off the face of the Earth then of course Clowney's the guy (There also was a little hyperbole in my earlier comments). However, it looks like that's very unlikely to happen in which case if it's close at all then I would much, much rather them take a quarterback.

Doltos posted:

Why don't you like Derek Carr? I mean all of this is too early anyway. The QB shakeup doesn't happen until after the combine.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

ZenVulgarity posted:

Lovie Smith and Tedford are coming in, they're most likely going to want their own QB to groom, especially Tedford.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

ZenVulgarity posted:

Hopefully not. The Bucs are pretty well set at LB. Biggest need is a QB and pass rusher by far.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Texans should be forced to take Derek Carr in the 1st since they broke the last one

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Kirios you need to chill the gently caress out, goddamn. :stare:

I'd also like to point out that the first time the Texans were truly torn over a QB or a talented defensive end, they went with the QB - David Carr.

The defensive end? Julius Peppers. :v:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Doltos posted:

Lovie Smith and Tedford are coming in, they're most likely going to want their own QB to groom, especially Tedford.

So assuming Browns take JFF, maybe Bortles to Tampa Bay if he declares?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I would think Tampa might give Glennon another year, but if QB is their biggest need it just makes me angry that Schiano couldn't even tank properly.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Do Bucs fans not think Glennon is worth a drat? Not sure how he projects as far as upside but I thought he had a pretty nice year for a rookie.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

computer parts posted:

I'd take him but I have a feeling Bortles, JFF, and Teddy will all be gone by #7.

Ozu posted:

Do Bucs fans not think Glennon is worth a drat? Not sure how he projects as far as upside but I thought he had a pretty nice year for a rookie.

Glennon is a backup. I really don't see him being a starter.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bhsman posted:

Kirios you need to chill the gently caress out, goddamn. :stare:

I'd also like to point out that the first time the Texans were truly torn over a QB or a talented defensive end, they went with the QB - David Carr.

The defensive end? Julius Peppers. :v:

The only solace I have in this horrible, miserable, pathetic, yet frustratingly unforgettable season is that we may have a franchise quarterback out of the whole deal.

Losing fourteen in a loving row is the worst thing in the world and this is literally the worst Texans season I have ever experienced. Dom Capers' last year was pretty pathetic too but there was no real expectation involved. The Texans were a potential SUPER BOWL PICK!

This season has loving broken me and I cannot wait until the Draft. gently caress 2013 so God drat much what a horrible train wreck it's been. This is the true definition of a lost season.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Kirios on the bright side there appear to be people worth picking #1 this year, in theory it could be worse.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yeah at least you don't have to go LT to put at RT.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

Kirios on the bright side there appear to be people worth picking #1 this year, in theory it could be worse.

I feel super bad for Chiefs fans. You guys didn't deserve the poo poo heap at #1 that you ended up getting last year. Chiefs fans totally deserved a franchise quarterback.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Chiefs are not allowed to win games with QBs they draft

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Kirios posted:

I feel super bad for Chiefs fans. You guys didn't deserve the poo poo heap at #1 that you ended up getting last year. Chiefs fans totally deserved a franchise quarterback.

We picked one up as an UDFA, we just have to let him stop being a shithead. The Aaron Rodgers Method.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Kirios posted:

The only solace I have in this horrible, miserable, pathetic, yet frustratingly unforgettable season is that we may have a franchise quarterback out of the whole deal.

Losing fourteen in a loving row is the worst thing in the world and this is literally the worst Texans season I have ever experienced. Dom Capers' last year was pretty pathetic too but there was no real expectation involved. The Texans were a potential SUPER BOWL PICK!

This season has loving broken me and I cannot wait until the Draft. gently caress 2013 so God drat much what a horrible train wreck it's been. This is the true definition of a lost season.

There's nothing that says you can only find a franchise QB in the first, however. Even if we end up with Teddy, the worst thing you can do to yourself is lock yourself into that pick for five months and then deal with the possibility that they pick someone else. So you're opening up to the idea of Manziel as your QB? Awesome. But I would look even beyond the QB position, or even a trade down.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

No Butt Stuff posted:

We picked one up as an UDFA, we just have to let him stop being a shithead. The Aaron Rodgers Method.

Chase Daniel was a regular FA

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

computer parts posted:

He might be gone and is Bortles going to really be better than Glennon?

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Intruder posted:

Here's a really dumb article about drafting Manziel #1 overall that I hate

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2014/01/it_begins_obrienmanziel_new_ye.php

From the sidebar there:

I agree, Houston Press. I agree. :v:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Anyone who thinks Derek Carr is going to suck just because he's related to David Carr needs to take a step back and see how stupid that line of thought is.

He'll suck for many other reasons of course, especially if he goes to any of the lovely teams picking in the top 5.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

This is something the NYPost did today.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Arschlochkind posted:

From the sidebar there:

I agree, Houston Press. I agree. :v:

Did they purposely use the Oilers logo because it is phallic?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Ozu posted:

This is something the NYPost did today.

I agree with that cover. Johnny Jet for future Super Bowl MVP.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Hand Row posted:

The first line of that article is "Twenty years ago, there were two players on the Oilers who were gay and no one cared." I meant it as a "Yeah, why are we still talking about this gay NFL?" joke. Because we suck, you see.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

The Jets with JFF and Rex is too much swag to handle.

Anyway, can Clowney play in a 3-4 defense? I haven't see him play in space and wouldn't it be a waste for him to be just a run stuffer?

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Jacksonville needs to parlay that top-5 pick into like four second-rounders and two third-rounders and start building some functional depth so that when a good QB comes into town his team can withstand a couple injuries.

I'd be ok with this even though the majority of the fan base would hate it, but the Redskins don't have that many picks :cheeky:. I also don't think teams will throw that much away to get Clowney. I'll take solace in the fact that it's quite probable Luck will one way or another have to deal with Clowney and Watt and just enjoy every time they get through.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

himurak posted:

I also don't think teams will throw that much away to get Clowney. I'll take solace in the fact that it's quite probable Luck will one way or another have to deal with Clowney and Watt and just enjoy every time they get through.

What if it's Clowney and Watt? :getin:

I could see Atlanta trading up for him, though.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

computer parts posted:

Depends. Bortles is a big guy and has some mobility, so he seems like a Tedford QB. Only issue is the Raiders, Jaguars, and Browns in between you and the Texans.

Still, way too early for anything more than speculation at this point.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Tampa taking a quarterback wouldn't really surprise me, but I could also easily see them rolling with Glennon for another year and taking Watkins or Mosley or one of the non-Matthews tackles, those all seem to make sense for what they need.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Hand Row posted:

A few former Oilers came out and admitted they had some openly gay teammates in the early 90s

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Grozz Nuy posted:

Tampa taking a quarterback wouldn't really surprise me, but I could also easily see them rolling with Glennon for another year and taking Watkins or Mosley or one of the non-Matthews tackles, those all seem to make sense for what they need.

Right now the top ten looks like it'll be 5 or so QBs taken considering the situations in Minnesota, Jacksonville, Oakland, Tampa, St. Louis, and Houston. Also, the new rookie contracts makes it easy for teams like the Jets to abandon Geno Smith after a year.

Issue with that is that it's easy to drink the poison and say that they're all taking QBs. That never happens. There are so many amazing prospects this draft outside of that position that a bunch of those teams are bound to pass on a QB. I can see Minnesota, Oakland, St. Louis, Houston, and Tampa all passing on QBs in favor of guys like Mathews, Nix, Clowney, Watkins, etc.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Groucho Marxist posted:

Chase Daniel was a regular FA

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Grozz Nuy posted:

I think Tampa should give Glennon a full year before they move on. He's shown great potential and nothing is guaranteed with this QB class.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Doltos posted:

Right now the top ten looks like it'll be 5 or so QBs taken considering the situations in Minnesota, Jacksonville, Oakland, Tampa, St. Louis, and Houston. Also, the new rookie contracts makes it easy for teams like the Jets to abandon Geno Smith after a year.

I don't think the rookie contracts are a big deal there, second round pick salaries didn't actually deflate much at all. What it should do is make it easier for first rounders to get demoted but Gabbert and Ponder got three seasons each so it looks like that's not actually happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Every time I see this my stomach churns. Check your backne, son.

• Locked thread