Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Zedd posted:

With the Gundam X being released, are we missing any lead MG outside of the obvious three? (XX, V2, G-Saviour)?

G-Saviour is an "obvious" lead? What loving world am I living in? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
DX (aaaaagh the name is Double X but the acronym isn't XX), V2, Extreme, AGE-3, AGE-FX, Stargazer and a bunch of random sidestory Gundams don't have MGs at all. Alex, Ez-8/Ground, ZZ, the GPs, (Ex-)S, Wing Zero Custom, Freedom, and maybe Shining/God are in desperate need of a 2.0. And honestly speaking, Zeta could use a 3.0.

G-Savior is never getting a MG and we all know it.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 2, 2014

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

TaurusOxford posted:

G-Saviour is an "obvious" lead? What loving world am I living in? :psyduck:
I don't even want one but if we list them all it needs to be included, :(

Stargazer could make a cool MG. :swoon:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

That's a shame, because I really like the design. Especially the ridiculous backpack and those hip thrusters.

Of course, I'd rather have some of the 2.0s you listed. FAZZ, GP-02, and Ex-S 2.0s. :swoon:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

While they are at it; MG GP04 please.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Zedd posted:

Likewise here, I really loved 00 S1 and think the whole green-particles, GN drive and condensors all over the MS is really cool.
MG Dynames please :swoon:

Stargazer could make a cool MG. :swoon:

Stargazer kitbash with a GN drive or two and Exia Repair II's GN Sword.

The GN Sword and variants are another guilty pleasure, switchblade style mechanisms are so cool. :allears:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I loved transforming, style switching or combining weapons.

GN sword 1, GN sword 3, Sinanu's bazooka and it's combinations, RX 72's Napalm, Everything Full Armor Unicorn, Hyper Mega Launchers, Weapon hardpoints in general. :swoon:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zedd posted:

Likewise here, I really loved 00 S1 and think the whole green-particles, GN drive and condensors all over the MS is really cool.

They really were awesome :allears:. I think what made them so good was they actually tried to hammer out a basic set of physics for the GN Particles, rather than throw out bullshit as they went (like in Season 2). It made a lot of the Earth force's attacks a lot more clever when it's something like "we know GN particles jam radio transmissions, so we'll scatter a shitload of small transmitters over a wide area of space and see which stop transmitting" rather than just "get'cher guns boys, we're gonna go fly right at them Gundams and we'll win because Ace Officer No.31489 says we will by doing the same tactics as last time!"

Zedd posted:

I loved transforming, style switching or combining weapons.

GN sword 1, GN sword 3, Sinanu's bazooka and it's combinations, RX 72's Napalm, Everything Full Armor Unicorn, Hyper Mega Launchers, Weapon hardpoints in general. :swoon:

This is pretty much why I'm only wanting stuff like a decent Buster or Heavyarms Gundam kit - they're full of little gimmicks to play with. Same reason I liked the Strike and Freedom Gundams too.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is pretty much why I'm only wanting stuff like a decent Buster or Heavyarms Gundam kit - they're full of little gimmicks to play with. Same reason I liked the Strike and Freedom Gundams too.

I'm kinda sad that they didn't include any of the extra gear used in Glory of the defeated with the wing rereleases, like Tallgeese's lance or all the poo poo Trowa bolts on to heavyarms.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

DX (aaaaagh the name is Double X but the acronym isn't XX), V2, Extreme, AGE-3, AGE-FX, Stargazer and a bunch of random sidestory Gundams don't have MGs at all. Alex, Ez-8/Ground, ZZ, the GPs, (Ex-)S, Wing Zero Custom, Freedom, and maybe Shining/God are in desperate need of a 2.0. And honestly speaking, Zeta could use a 3.0.

There is an AGE-3 and AGE-FX announced, which leaves DX, V2 and Extreme. Don't think Stargazer counts as a lead, but thats just me.

What's wrong with the Freedom MG btw? Its got decent possibility, strong joints... my only complain was the number of stickers.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

MG GP-03 Dendrobium :getin:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

BlitzBlast posted:

We need a ZZ 2.0 way more than we need a Zeta 3.0.

I also really badly want MGs of the GM Sniper II, Hygogg, Gaza-C and especially the Kapool. They've done a couple MGs of random MS from old series fairly recently (Marasai, Geara Doga) so I can always hold out hope. Maybe I'll have those by 2025! Also maybe I should switch to HGUC.

Hell, I don't even think there's a HGUC of the Kapool, just a crappy no-grade from 1999 and a Robot Damashii that goes for like $100 and is more than I'm willing to pay.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Caros posted:

There is an AGE-3 and AGE-FX announced,

Yeah like two years ago. AGE-3 and AGE-FX are almost guaranteed to go down the same path MG F90 did. AGE was a huge bomb, there's no way Bandai could justify pumping out five more AGE MGs.

quote:

Don't think Stargazer counts as a lead, but thats just me.

Strike Noir has a MG (because they could just repurpose the MG Strike mold), so clearly Bandai thinks it counts.

quote:

What's wrong with the Freedom MG btw? Its got decent possibility, strong joints... my only complain was the number of stickers.

It's not outright bad like some of the other 1.0s, and its inner frame is actually really good, but the proportions are iffy and the articulation is pretty poor compared to the recent vRM kits, much less the MG SF.

Gammatron 64 posted:

We need a ZZ 2.0 way more than we need a Zeta 3.0.

You'll find no disagreements from me on that, but Zeta really does need another shot. The 2.0 went a long way in fixing the 1.0's flaws, but the arms are still pretty hosed articulation wise and the beam rifle/hyper mega launcher don't really attach all that well.

Droyer posted:

GP-03 Stamen already has a MG. :v:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 2, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Hell, I don't even think there's a HGUC of the Kapool, just a crappy no-grade from 1999 and a Robot Damashii that goes for like $100 and is more than I'm willing to pay.

I was convinced the RD Capule was a trial balloon for some kits.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

GP-03 Stamen already has a MG. :v:

And we all know what a horrid piece of poo poo THAT is. MG ZZ is horrid too but at least that has a transformation for an excuse.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

BlitzBlast posted:

You'll find no disagreements from me on that, but Zeta really does need another shot. The 2.0 went a long way in fixing the 1.0's flaws, but the arms are still pretty hosed articulation wise and the beam rifle/hyper mega launcher don't really attach all that well.

Yeah, the Zeta is easily my least favorite 2.0 kit (I love the rest of the ones I have - the Gundam MK II, Gouf, and two flavors of Zaku II.) There's pretty much no way it can hold the Hyper Mega Launcher, although it sorta makes sense given just how enormous it is.

I know we're probably going to get a Zaku II 3.0, but there's practically no need given than the 2.0 is drat near perfect. It's super articulated and is probably the sturdiest, most rugged model kit I own. The only thing that sucks about it is that the springs that make up the cables on the legs like to pop off.

I love mono eye MS even more than Gundams, but the one thing I hate about them are doing the loving cables. Before when I would use a hobby knife instead of a needle file, I would have nub marks on each link, and doing them is still pretty tedious. The Gouf 2.0 has half of a full size runner devoted just to about 100 individual cable links that you need to put on. I liked it when older kits like the Zaku II FZ would just have them as a single piece of soft plastic.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

And we all know what a horrid piece of poo poo THAT is. MG ZZ is horrid too but at least that has a transformation for an excuse.

ZZ is like the perfect storm of terrible toy design. Big and bulky, complicated transformation, splits into three, huge weapons, and all of that in a time where Bandai wasn't all that good at parts separation.

And yet MG FA ZZ has one of the highest parts counts of any MG ever, only surpassed my MG FA Unicorn, and is in competition with MG Ex-S for most complicated assembly. :allears:

Zedd posted:

Incidentally, due to the nature of RG, the announce of RG Exia pretty much soft confirms RG Dynames, maybe RG Kyrios, and maybe RG Nadleeh/Virtue. And if that scale doesn't suit your taste, well most of the NG 1/100 00 kits were actually pretty drat good.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I still need to pick up that 1/100 Tieren, what i've seen from it looks great and the design is a well done Zaku analog and it looks like a giant green tank.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Incidentally, due to the nature of RG, the announce of RG Exia pretty much soft confirms RG Dynames, maybe RG Kyrios, and maybe RG Nadleeh/Virtue. And if that scale doesn't suit your taste, well most of the NG 1/100 00 kits were actually pretty drat good.

For the most part, yeah, but holy poo poo does the NG Dynames have loose joints. As in, even after doing the quick fix, it'll still lose poses and fall over if it isn't up propped up on something. Same with my MG Hobo Exia's ankles.

But, yeah, where's my MG Dynames and Virtue, Bandai? :argh:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Droyer posted:

I don't think there's many people who can afford a 500 dollar kit. :v:

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
You know, a Gouf Custom 2.0 would be a must-buy for me. Especially if the gatling shield would detach like it should. Also, option parts for a Gouf flight version.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Speaking of ZZ mobile suits that need HGUCs, I'd kill for a Zssa. I really like that yellow hunk of missiles for some reason.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Unicorn 7 is supposed to be featuring a lot more ZZ designs so kits can be made, so you never know.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Dragon Momoko MG Tallgeese III:

Get hype. :)

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

I was already planning on buying a RG Dynames because goddamn Dynames is the coolest :allears:, but it will be a glorious day if the Virtue is announced and it has Nadleeh as an included transform gimmick. Not quite sure how they'd hide the hair in Virtue but eh, Bandai's currently staffed by magical elves hell bent on fulfilling everyone's dreams so I believe in them.

Also that Tallgeese is sexy as hell.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Honestly the iffiest part about RG Virtue is that there's just too much stuff going on. Nadleeh alone could make a solid RG, but the Virtue parts are big and bulky and could very easily push the price tag over what's acceptable. It's not exactly a guaranteed seller either.

They could go full cheapskate and release RG Nadleeh and then make the Virtue parts web-exclusive/another RG I suppose.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'd be okay with them making it into two kits, especially if it'd keep costs down. I'd still prefer an MG of it, because I need more bulky 1/100 shitboxes on my shelf, but an RG wouldn't be a dealbreaker.

Also, since when is the Phoenix a regular release? I just saw it come up on HLJ and I could've swore it was gonna be a web exclusive kit. Not that I'm complaining, of course.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Kyrios would be pretty likely, the transformation's pretty drat simple. I reckon they could do a Nadleeh/Virtue combo as well considering the Virtue parts are mostly big chunky blocks rather than a ton of tiny bits,

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

S-Alpha posted:

Also, since when is the Phoenix a regular release? I just saw it come up on HLJ and I could've swore it was gonna be a web exclusive kit. Not that I'm complaining, of course.

TARDISman posted:

So it doesn't look like the Unicorn Phenex is going to be an online exclusive, but it is going to be ridiculously expensive. From what I've heard, it's neck and neck with The O for most expensive Master Grade with an MSRP of 12,000 Yen. loving ridiculous for what's actually a pretty ugly looking unit in my opinion.

It got announced as the February MG a while back. And no, we have no idea what Bandai is thinking either.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Kyrios would be pretty likely, the transformation's pretty drat simple. I reckon they could do a Nadleeh/Virtue combo as well considering the Virtue parts are mostly big chunky blocks rather than a ton of tiny bits,

You're forgetting this is a RG. As simple as the Kyrios' transformation is, if the Exia's frame can't do it, it's not very likely Bandai will make a whole new frame just for it. Likewise RG is all about ridiculous parts separation, so Virtue's armor would likely get pretty crazy.

I mean if Bandai decides to try and sell all four 00 S1 protagonist suits as a set there's a possibility, but don't forget they had the option to do that with the GAT-X series too.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Eleeleth posted:

So I ordered my first gunpla (HG Build Gundam Mk2) today, along with the Tamiya basic tools set.

The tools will arrive about a week after the kit does. How bad would the kit look if I put it together before getting the tools? I'm mostly concerned about not having snips.

Got my tools in sooner than expected, so I spent last night building this.

I'm quite impressed by the articulation, but rather disappointed by some of the stickers. (Particularly the horn sticker, that was a pain and looks bad, so I'm just using the included Gundam Mk ii horns instead.)

Am I right in thinking that to get more detail I'll have to suck it up and start painting? I'm annoyed by some of the more visible seams/sprue warts, like the bit above the feet.

As an aside: With the Action Base 2, does the model just kind of sit on it, or am I using the wrong holder? (I'm using the four-pronged one depicted in the manual, but there was something about multiple sizes that I didn't bother looking up because it was midnight.)

All in all a fun way to kill 3 hours, and it looks good on my desk at work, even if I'm rear end at posing.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
You kinda bought a bad gunpla. Build Mk. II is a very lazy kit by Bandai's standards. If you want to avoid painting, just get the Master Grade Build MK. II coming out later, since that'll be based on the MG 2.0 Mk. II which is still a great kit by today's standards.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

TaurusOxford posted:

You kinda bought a bad gunpla. Build Mk. II is a very lazy kit by Bandai's standards. If you want to avoid painting, just get the Master Grade Build MK. II coming out later, since that'll be based on the MG 2.0 Mk. II which is still a great kit by today's standards.

Really? :smith:

I was going to grab the Star Build Strike and Kampfer Amazing HG kits before getting an MG. Hopefully those kits won't suck?

What are some of the better HGs? I was trying to avoid older stuff since I figured newer kits would be better on average.

e: The painting thing isn't that I want to avoid it, it's that my airbrush is in Alabama and I'm in Ohio. I won't have it for a bit so I was hoping to skip shipping it up here.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The thing is, the Build mkII is an older kit. It's literally the 2002 HGUC Gundam mkII with some very minor adjustments and a Build Booster. Yes, I know Sei said in the show he made his out of new parts. Bandai didn't.

Build Strike and Zaku Amazing are great kits, though the former is similarly sticker-reliant. That's just a part of HGs.

Eleeleth posted:

As an aside: With the Action Base 2, does the model just kind of sit on it, or am I using the wrong holder?

There should be a little hole in the crotch for AB2's peg connector to fit into, but again you're using an old HG.

As for what things to get, go here, scroll down a bit, and pick whatever looks cool.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Eleeleth posted:

What are some of the better HGs? I was trying to avoid older stuff since I figured newer kits would be better on average.

HGAC Wing Gundam, HG 00 Raiser, HGFC God Gundam, HGAW Gundam X, HGUC ZZ... Those are good kits to start out with.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

As for what things to get, go here, scroll down a bit, and pick whatever looks cool.

I'd caveat that by suggesting you also check somewhere (like HLJ's website) to see when the kit was released - if it was more than 4-5 years ago, you might ask us or another Gundam model board for opinions before you take the plunge.

Avoid the SEED HG kits, they're universally not good. 00 HG and newer, around 2009, is when HGs got notably better.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Honestly the iffiest part about RG Virtue is that there's just too much stuff going on. Nadleeh alone could make a solid RG, but the Virtue parts are big and bulky and could very easily push the price tag over what's acceptable. It's not exactly a guaranteed seller either.

They could go full cheapskate and release RG Nadleeh and then make the Virtue parts web-exclusive/another RG I suppose.

I would be 100% ok with this because I'm just really interested on how they'd do the hair. I'd probably still buy both because I'm a sucker for S1 Gundam Meisters, same with one of my buds who I build with. This is of course dependent on whether or not they do it at all, as you said.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So I picked up the HG DX today and I'm looking for critique since it's paint job number two.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well first thing that stands out to me are the nubs on the leg caps. That's pretty much unavoidable on dark colors though, so no big deal. You did a good job on the gold paint (though out of curiosity does your model have trouble folding everything up now? Mine does, because I put on one coat too much), though the edges on the right wing's central fin looks a bit off. The panel lining is pretty solid, though it's uneven at bits. From the looks of it you didn't paint most of the missing color apps, though I wonder if you painted the eyes because they look a little uneven. Could just be the angle of the shot. Seams are mostly unwelded, which is really bad in the case of the HG DX because the TSCs have this horrid seam right down the middle of each cannon.

Looks like you had just as much trouble as me getting the posing right on this kit. Man it really needed some sort of system to simultaneously extend the solar panels when you lift the caps.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Well first thing that stands out to me are the nubs on the leg caps. That's pretty much unavoidable on dark colors though, so no big deal. You did a good job on the gold paint (though out of curiosity does your model have trouble folding everything up now? Mine does, because I put on one coat too much), though the edges on the right wing's central fin looks a bit off. The panel lining is pretty solid, though it's uneven at bits. From the looks of it you didn't paint most of the missing color apps, though I wonder if you painted the eyes because they look a little uneven. Could just be the angle of the shot. Seams are mostly unwelded, which is really bad in the case of the HG DX because the TSCs have this horrid seam right down the middle of each cannon.

Looks like you had just as much trouble as me getting the posing right on this kit. Man it really needed some sort of system to simultaneously extend the solar panels when you lift the caps.

Leg caps? I used the stickers for the eyes since I did this at work with limited supplies. This was my first time just clipping out parts then cutting them down with an xacto knife so advice on doing that right would be great because I sucked with it. I'm also still at work where I built it with my smart phone so pictures and posing were limited due to circumstance. As for lining I really want to go back and touch it up, especially since I left q-tips and grabbed an older pen instead of the new one I just bought. How do you weld the seams? I can also verify I used the stickers on some of the bits, but I definitely plan to go repaint them when I have brushes. Mine does have a bit of trouble folding, but nothing too bad. It took me a minute to realize the cannons stretched out. Also I really hate to be that guy, but is there a way to do a charge back on a store, because I recieved some stuff broken and contacted them to see if I could just get a refund applied to a more expensive item and no word back after almost a week.

SethSeries fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Basically the outside of each foot. If you look you can see how the dark plastic warps into a white 'nub' for lack of a better term. These are REALLY hard to get rid of with dark plastic, and your best bet is to just try to minimize them by not cutting too close, then shaving them down slowly and filing down the remainder.

Looks pretty good tho!

• Locked thread