Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
If people are looking to get the common Pokemon currently unavailable just come to the trading thread in PGS. I bred some spares of most of them I'm trading to goons and they have at least one perfect IV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Just hatched a shiny Prankster Cottonee, nature is Gentle which I don't think is ideal but doesn't seem actively harmful?

What do I do with this gal? How do I make her into a monster? Particularly in doubles, since I'm sure that makes a difference.

Edit: Her egg moves are Switcheroo, Encore, Memento, and Worry Seed, since I'm sure that matters quite a bit in terms of what I can do with her.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 2, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
No that isn't fair! :qq:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-74314962

The worst thing about losing in pokemon is you only have yourself and the RNG to blame. In this case, I'm gonna blame the RNG.

EDIT: Of course, the RNG giveth and the RNG taketh.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-74321853

Though this guy kind of won the battle for me by murdering his mega.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 2, 2014

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

Just hatched a shiny Prankster Cottonee, nature is Gentle which I don't think is ideal but doesn't seem actively harmful?

What do I do with this gal? How do I make her into a monster? Particularly in doubles, since I'm sure that makes a difference.

Edit: Her egg moves are Switcheroo, Encore, Memento, and Worry Seed, since I'm sure that matters quite a bit in terms of what I can do with her.

Put Tailwind on that sucker and pair it with some Pokemon who can sweep with boosted speed.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

"Hmm... my opponent is consistently outhealing my Earthquakes with a Prankster Sableye as my burned pocket monster dies slowly... Better spam Earthquake more"

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Zoness posted:

WoWFlame tends to pack Roost and MixSlash tends to still not want burns since lefties versions of MixSlash lack crucial 2hko's on many targets, making the residual damage rackup particularly nasty.

The point is pretty silly either way - at best King's Shield forces a switch. You're still left with non-LO Aegislash not being able to 2hko Calm Sableye or Bold Vaporeon.

It's a different story in doubles but given how much I see status moves being spammed King's Shield seems really bad. Also it doesn't block encore so I hope you like dealing with Politoed (and Raichu).

I should probably clarify that most of my Aegislash use has been in Battle Spot Singles on Showdown.

In Singles, yeah, I'd most likely not be using King's Shield. But in a 3v3 format, something like a forced switch carries a lot more weight. I also run Weakness Policy on my MixSlash.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."
Dynamic Punch Machamps drive me crazy. I have no idea how to deal with that bastard. He's too bulky to get a clean kill from and he packs payback for the ghost switch in. I'm more just looking for general advice on what to do against it because I run 2 different teams.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

2MB posted:

Dynamic Punch Machamps drive me crazy. I have no idea how to deal with that bastard. He's too bulky to get a clean kill from and he packs payback for the ghost switch in. I'm more just looking for general advice on what to do against it because I run 2 different teams.

Sableye and Gliscor are pretty good checks.

vvv oh my god that's pretty great.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 2, 2014

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Please ignore my terrible decisions and enjoy this humorous mistake(?):

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-74361742

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

nippon nifties posted:

Please ignore my terrible decisions and enjoy this humorous mistake(?):

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-74361742

People that manage to gently caress up perish song are amazing.

EDIT: This will never stop amusing me; http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-74367994

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 2, 2014

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

LRXG-WWWW-WWW4-7QQE

Entire enemy team shut down by Mandibuzz, causes hilarious forfeit.

Night Blade fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 2, 2014

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
I lost but this was an amazing battle! I just wish I had known Swampert could have damp as an ability.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-74393368

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I like Red Cards.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-74397905

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Do people not have back up plans?

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-74400077

e: Yep, taunt is the best move
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-74406629

Gnarly Bae Jepsen fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 3, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

I don't understand this mentality at all: are these people THAT lovely at making a team that unless their dumb gimmick works the battle is unwinnable?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Not only did he try to run a Carbink with explosion, he tried to STACK STATUS on an already poisoned pokemon that is also ground type. I'm not the best at competitive pokemon (read: I've never done a battle on showdown) but what the gently caress.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I think that guy was trying to be clever and predict a switch in. He wasn't.

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

You dont happen to have any leftovers from that there breeding project do you? Or be willing to trade for a shiny pink shark (sharpeedo)?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Night Blade posted:

LRXG-WWWW-WWW4-7QQE

Entire enemy team shut down by Mandibuzz, causes hilarious forfeit.

This was absolutely beautiful. Good show! :allears:

I love Vs Recorder replays. (No offense to all you fine folks on Showdown.)

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I've been on Battle Spot testing my team in hopes of going to VGC this year, but it hasn't been working as well as I hoped it would. Any advice would be appreciated, is my composition poor or am I just not playing well? Here's the team:

Diggersby @ Lum Berry
Huge Power
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Return
- Protect

Primary physical attacker. Meant to hit hard as often as possible. Lum Berry was a placeholder, but being able to soak up a status has proven fairly useful.

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Regenerator
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly
- Detect
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- U-Turn

Secondary physical attacker. Usually just fakes something out and u-turns into something else, though I was considering switching Stone Edge for Fake Out. Regenerator helps take the edge off of Life Orb and missed Jump Kicks.

Murkrow @ Eviolite
Prankster
252 HP/ 136 Def / 116 Sp. Def
Calm
- Taunt
- Roost
- Feather Dance
- Snarl

Primary disrupter. Taunt to mess up anything likely to status, Feather Dance and Snarl to weaken the enemy's attacking stats, and Roost for recovery.

Gengar @ Gengarite
Levitate
252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Protect
- Focus Blast

Primary special attacker. Doesn't go mega if Diggersby is on the field, subs up and fires away as needed.

Greninja @ Hard Stone
Protean
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly
- Fling
- Acrobatics
- Shadow Sneak
- Return

Tertiary physical attacker. Meant to take out ghosts and psychics who think Greninja has nothing for them, then Acrobatics for its main damage source. Can also swap immunities if needed. A gimmick set to be sure, but has performed surprisingly well.

Gothitelle @ Leftovers
Shadow Tag
252 HP / 156 Def / 100 Sp. Def
Bold
- Calm Mind
- Taunt
- Psychic
- Protect

Secondary disrupter/wall. Tries to grab something that doesn't want to stay in so a partner can take it out. Can also chip away at non-Dark types.

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 3, 2014

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Despite me making a lot of stupid moves, I think I did pretty well.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-74436597

Quagsire is the greatest pokemon ever and I will hear nothing else of it.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

Agent Rush posted:

I've been on Battle Spot testing my team in hopes of going to VGC this year, but it hasn't been working as well as I hoped it would. Any advice would be appreciated, is my composition poor or am I just not playing well? Here's the team:

Diggersby @ Lum Berry
Huge Power
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Return
- Protect

This isn't the type of criticism you're looking for, obviously, but isn't Huge Power Diggersby only found in Friend Safaris and thus not eligible for VCG 2014? For instance, I was told by someone that my Chlorophyl Venusaur was ineligible, but Overgrow Venusaur was eligible for that reason.

I could be wrong, though (and I'd be glad if I am, frankly, because I love Chlorophyl Venusaur.)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

SPVG-WWWW-WWW4-82G5

This was a fun double battle. A random guy challenged me out of the blue with a team of Mienshao, Shuckle, Klefki, Haxorus, Alakazam and Vaporeon. It doesn't end well for him--never, ever let Curly Brace the Slowbro setup if you can't phaze her out.

Have I mentioned Slowbro is hands down my favorite Gen 1 Pokemon? Because it really, truly is.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Huge Liability posted:

This isn't the type of criticism you're looking for, obviously, but isn't Huge Power Diggersby only found in Friend Safaris and thus not eligible for VCG 2014? For instance, I was told by someone that my Chlorophyl Venusaur was ineligible, but Overgrow Venusaur was eligible for that reason.

I could be wrong, though (and I'd be glad if I am, frankly, because I love Chlorophyl Venusaur.)

I'm pretty sure as long as the pokemon itself can be acquired ingame outside of the friend safari, its vgc legal. So that means a huge power diggersby you breed on your own is legal, even if the ha originally came from the safari.

If you want practice you should use showdown and play VGC games. Originally I was adverse to the idea of it but its actually really easy to use and lets you tweak stuff with ease, so you can iron out all the kinks with your team before actually making it.

Anyways, I'd say you should work stone edge/rock slide into your Mienshao set, replacing U-Turn. U-Turn is good but the rock moves give Mienshao a way to shred Char Y and Talonflame on switchin, both of which are very common. You might also want to consider giving it quick guard in place of detect, as this is very useful in doubles. It lets Mienshao keep Talonflame from killing it and also fucks up enemy pranksters, and Mienshao's fake out/quick guard is going to outspeed almost everything. Gengar should ditch focus blast, its terrible and misses all the god drat time. I'd say pick up dazzling gleam in its place, as it will destroy Scrafty and Hydreigon while also doing good damage to TTar. If Murkrow is running Taunt I'd ditch it on Gothitelle, it woudl really benefit from having another move for coverage like tbolt.

Other than that, I think you might run into a problem against intimidate stacking teams since you really only have two special attackers. Gengar and Gothitelle probably wouldn't be able to deal with the common intimidate spammers on their own either. If you had to replace anything I'd go with Murkrow since as much as I love the guy he's not terribly useful against this meta, being completely ineffective against the incredibly common Rotoms. Another special attacker would definitely be good, preferably one with ice beam access to deal with the psuedo dragons.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 3, 2014

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Huge Liability posted:

According to this rules document, as long as the pokemon is native to Kalos and in one of the Kalos regional Pokedexes, Hidden Abilities are allowed.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-74410894
Whimsicot and Malamar are great against teams that insist on setting up.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/challengecup-74446329
This is a challenge cup battle that was absolutely ridiculous. It gave me a simipour whose only water move was HP water and a Zygarde with no attacks at all.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I've been sitting here staring for 20 minutes at which Pokemon Y starter to grab. None of them stand out as cool looking 1st evos to me but all of their final evos look awesome I CANNOT DECIDE.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

I've been sitting here staring for 20 minutes at which Pokemon Y starter to grab. None of them stand out as cool looking 1st evos to me but all of their final evos look awesome I CANNOT DECIDE.

Froakie evolves into a motherfucking Strider Hiryu frog, there's really only one choice. :colbert:

(honestly, you'll probably just get all of the starters off of wonder trade anyway)

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

Whatever you pick, you'll have an opportunity to get the one with a type disadvantage against it after you beat the game via trade with one of your npc buddies. I went with Fennekin with mine, but I hear Froakie's final form owns. Also, starters from this and previous games seem to tend to show up in wonder trade (at least for me, but wonder trade is awesome regardless).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

mango sentinel posted:

Just pick either Fennekin or Froakie. Both of them have really cool and fun evolutions. There's only one wrong decision, and that's Chespin. Never pick Chespin.

Chesnaught is such a joke.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

mango sentinel posted:

Froakie's the best one. His final evo is like top 3 favorite starter finals. Fenekin's third for is not bad but I don't like the second for. Chespin's got a cool second form but his third form is probably the lamest fully evolved starter design.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I like Chesnaught.

On the other hand, I'd rather have the Hidden Ability one anyway.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Internet Kraken posted:

Just pick either Fennekin or Froakie. Both of them have really cool and fun evolutions. There's only one wrong decision, and that's Chespin. Never pick Chespin.

Chesnaught is such a joke.

Does it hurt to be so wrong?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I finally grabbed Froakie because, in spite of a goofy second stage, Ninja Frog is too awesome to ignore.

Then I reset like 5 times to get a female.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Chesnaught should be named Treebeard because I'm a huge nerd.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Chesnaught has brought me nothing but disappointment. Infinite disappointment. Chespin is the cutest first form and I love the lil' dude, but as soon as he evolves he turns into complete garbage with so many weaknesses you'll just throw him in a PC and use your Kanto starter instead.

Greninja is super cool though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Classtoise posted:

Does it hurt to be so wrong?

No because I don't have a 4x weakness to flying :smug:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Internet Kraken posted:

No because I don't have a 4x weakness to flying :smug:

Or have garbage speed...

This gen is just a disappointment for me for starters. :(

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Pokemon Bank may not be functioning outside of Asia, but I got me a Porygon god drat it. I'm gonna make the best Porygon2 and Porygon-Z you've ever seen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
It doesn't matter what starter you choose because you'll want a friend safari version of any of the starters anyway.

But Braixen is the cutest one of all 9 in all those evolution lines.

Also:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-74495681

Another alt team-test. Probably going to drop something for Heatran. Also tempted to put Fire Blast on a Ddancing M-Tyranitar. Also Thundurus probably really wants Hammer Arm or Focus Miss :v:.

• Locked thread