Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tatum Girlparts posted:

No poo poo, but there's few things worse than hamfisted, poorly done, parody, and she's kinda the queen of hamfisting and poorly doing things.

But she doesn't do things poorly at all.

Edit: Like, Digital, Analogue, and Hate+ are all great. "don't take it personally"'s main problems is that due to being written in a single month there wasn't enough time to really flesh things out (the main character is supposed to be skeevy and not a good person, but this wasn't really got across well)

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

But she doesn't do things poorly at all.

Edit: Like, Digital, Analogue, and Hate+ are all great.
I liked Digital and could appreciate what Analogue and Hate+ were going for but they just came across so cartoonishly over-the-top that I couldn't take them seriously at all. Dialing it back a notch or three would have done wonders.

Honestly, Don't Take It Personally is prboably my favorite thing she's done just because it didn't seem to go beyond its means, if that makes any sense. It had one thing to say, made that point, and did it with enough ease that it didn't come across forced.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Analogue is literally Joseon era Korea in space. Like, if it seemed over the top to you, there was actually a society that acted like that.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Her only bad thing so far is Don't Take It Personally (which, admittedly, is REALLY bad). Digital's good, Analogue's great, and Hate Plus is good (though a step down from Analogue).

This could go any which way but I think it'll at least be okay.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Dr Pepper posted:

Analogue is literally Joseon era Korea in space. Like, if it seemed over the top to you, there was actually a society that acted like that.

The premise that a society would return to a carbon copy of it while in a generational space ship is over the top.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That seems like an odd thing to nitpick, the plot of Analogue is basically that a girl with modern sensibilities gets thrown into a horrible misogynistic society and how she reacts to it. It's basically a time travel story, the generation ship and the resulting culture in it were just plot devices to create that situation, the same thing could have been done with a time machine or portal or something. Hard sci-fi it isn't.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Nephilm posted:

The premise that a society would return to a carbon copy of it while in a generational space ship is over the top.

Why? Future society regresses to feudal medievalism has been done plenty of times in all sorts of scifi. Hate merely uses a southeast asian model of feudalism than the European version that is commonly used. One wonders what you make of LoGH.

EDIT: VVV Oops.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 2, 2014

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Fangz posted:

Why? Future society regresses to feudal medievalism has been done plenty of times in all sorts of scifi. Hate merely uses a south east asian model of feudalism than the European version that is commonly used.

I hate to break it to you, but Korea moved north when you weren't looking.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It seemed plausible enough from the society seen in Hate+. Caveat I'm running that through the VN filter where it's about mid-range on the nonsense scale

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

The society wasn't the part I had an issue with.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Fangz posted:

Why? Future society regresses to feudal medievalism has been done plenty of times in all sorts of scifi. Hate merely uses a southeast asian model of feudalism than the European version that is commonly used. One wonders what you make of LoGH.

EDIT: VVV Oops.

I got at least one probation and a place in Zorak's poo poo list out of LoGH.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nephilm posted:

I got at least one probation and a place in Zorak's poo poo list out of LoGH.

I'm pretty sure you were already on Zorak's poo poo list.

Is it just me, or does the curry segment in Higurashi drag on a little too long?

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 2, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Silver2195 posted:

Is it just me, or does the curry segment in Higurashi drag on a little too long?
This is still the first four chapters, right? The pacing is kind of rubbish in those, especially in the first two. Far too much time is spent with them dicking around with the club activities and such.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I liked the club activities. It was pretty funny at times and it made when everything goes wrong more painful.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

This is still the first four chapters, right? The pacing is kind of rubbish in those, especially in the first two. Far too much time is spent with them dicking around with the club activities and such.

Some of the club activities are actually pretty interesting. Others just go on too long sometimes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dr Pepper posted:

I liked the club activities. It was pretty funny at times and it made when everything goes wrong more painful.

Silver2195 posted:

Some of the club activities are actually pretty interesting. Others just go on too long sometimes.
Right, I like them too for the same reason. It's just fairly clear that RK07 didn't really have his formula down quite right just yet and some scenes really needed some paring down. I think Watanagashi is the worst offender since you sort of forgive Onikakushi for being the opening act and thus trying a bit harder to take readers for a ride when it all goes south. It's less novel the second time around, and subsequent chapters had a bit of a better comedy/drama ratio.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Okay. I just completed Episode 1 of Umineko. What. Just. What. The Tea Party is weird. Is it really disconnected from the plot, or is everything that happens within canon? So far its been quite enjoyable. I look forward to whatever curveball Episode 2 will throw.

Are there any choices at all in Umineko? Because I have noticed difficulty is mentioned in every episode description, and By "Executing" Beatrice it says I have a very easy way of killing her.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
The Tea Party is canon, and should be thought of as the real start to Umineko, the meta battle between Battler and Beatrice in purgatory. Regarding the difficulty, that's just talking about how hard it is to solve the mysteries in the episode. Only the final episode of Umineko has any choices at all.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I see. This is very very interesting. I always enjoy meta-narrative, and the Battler/Beatrice battle is quite interesting even though Beatrice is quite obviously a witch. Surely Battler wont find any way to disprove that.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

and By "Executing" Beatrice it says I have a very easy way of killing her.
I think the "you" there is referring to Battler. It's a hint about Beatrice's true nature.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I'm sure this has come up a lot before but for Higurashi do people generally prefer the original music or the PS2 music? Was going to look up samples on Youtube but some of those thumbnails looked like they were probably spoilers.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Getting Higurashi patched was so goddamn convoluted and confusing that I don't know what the original music is, anymore. All I know is whatever I heard, was some boing boing six second looped free midi bullshit hell I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

ADullMin
May 3, 2013

by Ralp

Krinkle posted:

Getting Higurashi patched was so goddamn convoluted and confusing that I don't know what the original music is, anymore. All I know is whatever I heard, was some boing boing six second looped free midi bullshit hell I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

This, only I never tried patching it.

Here is 3/4ths of the soundtrack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ls983siiE

ADullMin fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 4, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Top Gym Pumper posted:

I'm sure this has come up a lot before but for Higurashi do people generally prefer the original music or the PS2 music? Was going to look up samples on Youtube but some of those thumbnails looked like they were probably spoilers.
The PS2 music is likely an improvement over the stuff in the first four chapters, since the originals are just sort of some generic public domain junk. I doubt it's better than Kai's soundtrack, though. A moot point anyway because I don't think anyone ever bothered to make a PS2 music patch for the Kai chapters.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

ADullMin posted:

This, only I never tried patching it.

Here is 3/4ths of the soundtrack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ls983siiE

I dunno sometimes they seem to play an extra creepy variant of it.

Higurashi is kind of unsettling btw

ADullMin
May 3, 2013

by Ralp
Did they really do that? I specifically remember the same cicada noise over and over every time a character was outside.

LeeDless
Mar 28, 2010

Top Gym Pumper posted:

I dunno sometimes they seem to play an extra creepy variant of it.

Higurashi is kind of unsettling btw

I know exactly the track you're speaking of but I can't find it on Youtube.

In the soundtrack folder for Higurashi Rei it's called Semi-R.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I have a quick question: Is there a preferred version of Virtue's Last Reward?

I know that there are two versions: one for 3DS, and one for PS Vita. From what I remember reading, the 3DS version has a better interface than the Vita. However, in both versions there is a bug that can corrupt your save file, and with the Vita version, you have 3 slots to save in, whereas the 3DS version only has one.

I should point out that I don't own either handheld, and that I have not played 999.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I know that there are two versions: one for 3DS, and one for PS Vita. From what I remember reading, the 3DS version has a better interface than the Vita. However, in both versions there is a bug that can corrupt your save file, and with the Vita version, you have 3 slots to save in, whereas the 3DS version only has one.

I should point out that I don't own either handheld, and that I have not played 999.

First, play 999 before you hop into VLR. VLR is called Zero Escape Volume 2 for a reason. You can play it on a 3DS just fine and if you live in Europe, just import the US version and it should work just fine thanks to no region locking on the DS. Which is probably one good reason why you should play it on a 3DS since you can play both games on it. If not, there's a perfectly serviceable LP of it right here on the LP archive.

The save corrupting bug only happens by chance if you save in the puzzle rooms/escape sections (and will almost always happen if you save in the PEC or Crew's Quarters since those are the buggiest). I'm currently playing VLR myself and have encountered no bugs after playing for about 15 hours, even after going through the PEC room because I only save in the novel sections. The Vita version has slightly better graphics and sound, which the former doesn't matter much anyway because VLR isn't that great in terms of aesthetics (especially during cutscenes/CGs).

The multisave slot thing isn't a big deal either, because there's not much replayability with VNs once you've seen and done everything (plus you can jump at any point in story anyway). So the only purpose they have is to backup saves in case you run into glitch (which will not happen if you don't save in escape sections). I think the 3DS has the option to backup saves anyway...?

The Vita version does have trophies too if you like that. So 3DS if you want to play both Zero Escape games on the same handheld, a console that has a way better selection of games in general, and the ability to take notes easier. Vita for better looks/sound, trophies, and being less likely to glitch.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Max Wilco posted:

3DS is better for solving puzzles, because you can take notes both in game and out of the game by pushing the Home button. If you play on the Vita just make sure you have some paper and pens nearby because you will need them. I played the 3DS version and did not encounter any bugs. Supposedly you shouldn't save in any puzzle room, regardless of whether you're in puzzle mode or not. So whenever you're in the hallways or warehouses. It's not as inconvenient as it sounds because you can always abuse the flowchart to jump back to an earlier point in the timeline to do just that. To be honest, the Vita version is still fine so if it really worries you that much then just get that.

And definitely don't forget to play 999.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

the greatest visual novel

i'm not sure why this guy likes donkey dicks so much. there was an :nws: pic here.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 6, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

unless you can get an anime girl in there somewhere we ain't interested, pal

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Better than Muvluv.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos is for sale at 50% off on Steam as part of their week long deals.

It looks pretty good. Is it recommended?

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Max Wilco posted:

Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos is for sale at 50% off on Steam as part of their week long deals.

From what I hear, it's indeed pretty good, but it's so short that for $2.50 what you pay is what you get. More episodes supposedly coming in the future.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Max Wilco posted:

Very definitely.

I also recommend getting Dischan's previous VN, Juniper's Knot. It's free on both their site and on iOS. (Not sure if it's on Steam though.)

ptk
Oct 4, 2006

Nephilm posted:

More episodes supposedly coming in the future.

That's looking pretty uncertain. Their main artist left mid last year, and Learning to Manage Chaos didn't make enough money to keep things going at full capacity.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ptk posted:

That's looking pretty uncertain. Their main artist left mid last year, and Learning to Manage Chaos didn't make enough money to keep things going at full capacity.

Someone tell these guys about Kickstarter.

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
Just finished 999. It was okay. The game suffered from a lack of skip option past previously completed puzzles, but with a spoilerless (apart from the ending names) choice guide it wasn't so bad. The puzzles were really nothing to write home about. I examine every object available, like I usually do in every game ever that lets me do it, and after that (often even before it) the solutions are obvious. At this point I wonder if they're supposed to be obvious what with the morphogenic field plot device. No, I'm probably overthinking things.

I'm sort of disappointed that it says 9 persons right there on the game's name and there's actually 11 people on the ship. Led me off with trying to figure things out at first because of my poor choice in routes. After the Safe ending I was dreading that the end twist would be "you (the player) were Zero all along!", which was not that far off the mark. I wasn't sure whether or not they would write a childhood romance into the game just for the sake of it, so at least that was something I didn't expect.

There's also some very obvious similarities between 999 and Ever17. I really hope there's something else in store for VLR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Well the prequel story saved the Sharin no Kuni fandisk. I thought it was actually better than the prequel's main story.

I didn't particularly care for Sharin. Nothing really stood out to me except the antagonist who was pretty great. It was pretty uncomfortable any time Houzuki showed up as a no-nonsense man like him felt so drat real. I didn't feel much else. I didn't like the girl a chapter style of setup and the ending was pretty awful. And the fandisks after-story routes are mostly a waste of time.

I guess I'll read Kikokugai next. Seems short but I don't mind that too much.

Edit: Whelp, just started Kikokugai. I can already tell this is going to be a dark tale.

Edit2: Cybernetic Kung Fu, a Kung Fu EMP attack? :psylon: So this is a martial arts revenge story crossed with cyberpunk? Okay, I'm sold.

Stall_19 fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jan 7, 2014

• Locked thread