Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

GrossMurpel posted:

What excuse does Germany use for starting WWII then?

None, Germany didn't start it. France declared war first, I think because I conquered the Baltic nations after raising the Soviet Union's threat through the roof. That's also why we had so many Axis nations I think because I had nothing to do with half of Europe and central Asia going Axis.

Although in most games as Axis Poland, if I keep things cool eventually Germany just launches Operation Barbarossa and the Allies just kinda sit it out. It eventually leads to hilarious situations where after the Allies appease Germany by letting them take various bordering nations, they then sat by as Germany conquered a large chunk of the USSR, and making Poland almost into an island inside of Germany :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

DrProsek posted:

None, Germany didn't start it. France declared war first, I think because I conquered the Baltic nations after raising the Soviet Union's threat through the roof. That's also why we had so many Axis nations I think because I had nothing to do with half of Europe and central Asia going Axis.

Although in most games as Axis Poland, if I keep things cool eventually Germany just launches Operation Barbarossa and the Allies just kinda sit it out. It eventually leads to hilarious situations where after the Allies appease Germany by letting them take various bordering nations, they then sat by as Germany conquered a large chunk of the USSR, and making Poland almost into an island inside of Germany :v:.

From the bit I played and these stories, it looks like HoI3's chain of events breaks easily and hilariously. :allears:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

GrossMurpel posted:

From the bit I played and these stories, it looks like HoI3's chain of events breaks easily and hilariously. :allears:

That is supposedly by design, curiously enough. I think the game itself (maybe in the bookmark?) states that the 1936 start is meant to allow ahistorical results and alignments on the road to war, and those who want a proper WW2 should start with 1939. Of course, anyone who played HoI2 has come to know, and possibly enjoy, the three years before the war to build up a personalized armed force, so I have mixed feelings on it. At least the country editor for HoI3 makes that possible in the 1939 scenario.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I apologize if it's a repeat, but Vic2 and it's DLC, including HoD, are 75% (+5% with voucher) off at GreenManGaming. I don't think I've seen it priced that low before.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Is there a repository anywhere of save games to convert from CK2 to EU4? I had a game I was trying to get finished before Conquest of Paradise came out so I could colonize the new world as a Norse Britannia, but apparently the version of CK2+ I'd been playing isn't compatible with Sons of Abraham, or with the new version of CK2+. I dunno what it is but I just can't get into CK2. I've put hundreds of hours into all the big Paradox titles but my now-incompatible save aside I've yet to get more than a hundred years in with CK2 before I get bored with it.

Firelizard
Oct 11, 2013
A reading through of Wiz's amazing Azerbaijan LP has gotten me in the mood to play Europa Universalis III again. However I have a quick question. Is Wiz's EU3+ mod compatible with Death & Taxes? And if not, which one do goons prefer when playing EU3?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I would argue that EU3+ is probably a better game than EU4 is but I'm pretty heavily into the mindset that if your historical simulation game allows for world conquest to be feasible then it's inherently broken. EU3 mods are rarely compatible with one another and EU3+ doesn't need any more stuff added to it anyway though someone did make a mod which was basically EU3+ with extra Miscmod scenarios and a slightly improved map (same number of provinces but better borders) which you might be able to find if you look around a bit.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Divided We Stand version 1.6 is released officially! This release includes some small tweaks and (more importantly) the new American Unions that players can form in their games.

Mod thread: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?738215-HoD-Divided-We-Stand-(Balkanized-North-America)

Just give me the download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/qcu1gqn3btgvjq2/DWS16.zip

I sat down and played a game until 1900 to see how it fared, and I'm glad to see that United Virginia didn't create a massive blob that steamrolled everyone in their path. Here's how North America looked by the end of the game:

You'll notice Nebraska got a lot of help in smashing Montana. Montana actually revolted into the Plains Federation, which then fell to Nebraska after Montana was conquered. Montana was then released by Lincoln about a decade later.

Communism was very popular in this game. I'd estimate half the nations in the game went full-on Communist. This included Georgia, the Confederate State"s", Manhattan, Jefferson, and Texas. It also included...

...which happened to gain a foothold in Massachusetts territories before somehow gobbling up Alaska. Otherwise the USA didn't hold any territories.

And of course, a gratuitous shot of Europe:

Europe was in constant war most of the game, with the UK and Prussia as allies against France and Russia. Once the German Empire formed, everything flopped and the UK allied itself with Spain and Poland, while the Russian Empire allied with Austria-Hungary. The Vatican actually was a power for most of the game before they were absorbed into Italy. And the Ottomans had an empire that stretched through most of the Middle East and Africa.

Fun game. I'm anxious to see what others do with it now that it has a lot of its bigger bugs solved.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Italy and France did an island swap

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Italy and France did an island swap

The mind boggles.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Germany is putting Bohemia in a sleeper hold giving its Czech friends a big ol' hug :3:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Would it be possible to craft a Victoria 2 scenario where every tag has been released? I remember an EU3 mod that did that (possibly also goon-made IIRC) and the previous discussions we've had on CK2 being more interesting because there are more potential targets and more avenues of expansion seems like it'd be a cool way to play.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Trying to get into Victoria II atm and the regiment-soldier pop relation is slightly confusing. Like how the game tells you that for all intents and purposes a regiment basically represents the pop it comes from, yet I can create 3.000 men strong regiments from 1k soldier pops. So basically armies are built out of thin air and you just need a soldier pop in the background to reinforce losses? Kinda weird.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Entenzahn posted:

Trying to get into Victoria II atm and the regiment-soldier pop relation is slightly confusing. Like how the game tells you that for all intents and purposes a regiment basically represents the pop it comes from, yet I can create 3.000 men strong regiments from 1k soldier pops. So basically armies are built out of thin air and you just need a soldier pop in the background to reinforce losses? Kinda weird.

Not like this is a justification for it, since it still sounds wonky, but pops are supposed to only represent 1/4 of the population. So that 1,000 soldier pop is really representative of 4,000 people (including soldiers' families, etc.)

It's pretty dumb and convoluted though, especially compared to Victoria 1's fairly straightforward system.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Will there be any more expansions for Victoria 2? Because I always felt that while the last to extended the diplomatic options quite a bit, your nations politics are somewhat bare bone. Alternatively, are there any mods that deal with that?

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Entenzahn posted:

It does that so people with tiny soldier pops can still recruit an army. It would make much more sense to just have a global manpower pool and not tie regiments to individual pops like every other Paradox game, especially now the only units you can't recruit from wrong-culture pops are Guards, but oh well.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

E:^^^^
Yeah as cool as it is to track my war casualties down to the province where they're coming from, it leads to too many wonky situations where my 1500 English Canadians in Ottawa can't form desegregated units with the 1500 English soldiers who also live there, or with the 1500 English Canadians who live one province over. :sigh:

Entenzahn posted:

The way it works is you get to build 3k soldiers for every 3k of soldier pop you have in a province, but the first regiment costs only 1k so that small nations like Krakow can still build armies. It doesn't make sense and it's not really supposed to but just remember you get more soldiers from a province at 1k soldiers, 4k soldiers, 7k soldiers, etc.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 3, 2014

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

I've been considering getting Darkest Hour, given that currently its 50% off on Gamersgate. Two questions:

1. Is it worth it? I've heard its decent, but I figure goons can give me a better rundown.

2. How bad is the learning curve? I've heard Hearts of Iron games are pretty bad with regards to complexity. How long will it take me to be able to do anything but lose wars? Are there any countries which are good to learn off to start with?

For reference the only Paradox game I've ever gotten competent with is Victoria I.

Thanks in advance.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

MinistryofLard posted:

I've been considering getting Darkest Hour, given that currently its 50% off on Gamersgate. Two questions:

1. Is it worth it? I've heard its decent, but I figure goons can give me a better rundown.

2. How bad is the learning curve? I've heard Hearts of Iron games are pretty bad with regards to complexity. How long will it take me to be able to do anything but lose wars? Are there any countries which are good to learn off to start with?

For reference the only Paradox game I've ever gotten competent with is Victoria I.

Thanks in advance.

1. If you want to play a Hearts of Iron game this is the one to get. There's other games that do wargaming better but HoI is one of the best at feeling like you're directing your nation.

2. Pretty steep. Playing Ricky will give you a step up since you're used to the old interface but it's still a pretty different game. As for nations just play Germany, they're absolutely perfect for learning. You have a nice buildup until you choose to go to war and your wars ramp up in difficulty (Poland is easier than France which is easier than Russia.) You can also ignore the naval game essentially without consequence so that's a pretty large section of the game you can learn after you get a handle on the rest of the game.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

e X posted:

Will there be any more expansions for Victoria 2? Because I always felt that while the last to extended the diplomatic options quite a bit, your nations politics are somewhat bare bone. Alternatively, are there any mods that deal with that?

Rumor mill (purely conjecture, no real evidence) says a Victoria III is coming. I think Paradox would like to "Upgrade" all their series to the new DLC model.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Rumor mill (purely conjecture, no real evidence) says a Victoria III is coming. I think Paradox would like to "Upgrade" all their series to the new DLC model.

The new engine is also very robust and I think they just really like working in it. Plus they made a lot of mistakes with Vicky 2 that could be fixed, modding in the Clausewitz engine is amazingly easy compared to the mess that is Vicky 2.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

uPen posted:

1. If you want to play a Hearts of Iron game this is the one to get. There's other games that do wargaming better but HoI is one of the best at feeling like you're directing your nation.

2. Pretty steep. Playing Ricky will give you a step up since you're used to the old interface but it's still a pretty different game. As for nations just play Germany, they're absolutely perfect for learning. You have a nice buildup until you choose to go to war and your wars ramp up in difficulty (Poland is easier than France which is easier than Russia.) You can also ignore the naval game essentially without consequence so that's a pretty large section of the game you can learn after you get a handle on the rest of the game.

Cool, thanks. :):

Is there a significant spike in difficulty between base DH and Kaiserreich? I'm honestly getting DH just for the KR mod just because always playing the same WW2 sounds kind of boring and I'm a sucker for weird AH scenarios. Should I be trying to work my way up to competence from base DH and then start with KR or could I just go for the mod right out of the gate?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

MinistryofLard posted:

Cool, thanks. :):

Is there a significant spike in difficulty between base DH and Kaiserreich? I'm honestly getting DH just for the KR mod just because always playing the same WW2 sounds kind of boring and I'm a sucker for weird AH scenarios. Should I be trying to work my way up to competence from base DH and then start with KR or could I just go for the mod right out of the gate?

The variety of wars in Kaiserreich actually make it better for learning combat of various stripes. Go through DH's tutorials, then start with something like Georgia to learn how to build and manage a single army, scale up to Russia for larger-scale unbeatable walls of men (Just keep your dissent down), Britain for naval combat (420 Build Carriers Everyday), then the United States for a chaotic running civil war. Biggest hint I can give you that isn't directly stated (I think) is that command limits for generals are per province. 12 units attacking the same place from two different provinces won't have a command limit penalty as long as their both controlled by Field Marshalls.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Kavak posted:

Biggest hint I can give you that isn't directly stated (I think) is that command limits for generals are per province. 12 units attacking the same place from two different provinces won't have a command limit penalty as long as their both controlled by Field Marshalls.

And if you've got a HQ division commanded by a full General or a Field Marshal in the same province/a neighbouring province, command limits are doubled. It's hard to overstate how useful that is.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Kavak posted:

The variety of wars in Kaiserreich actually make it better for learning combat of various stripes. Go through DH's tutorials, then start with something like Georgia to learn how to build and manage a single army, scale up to Russia for larger-scale unbeatable walls of men (Just keep your dissent down), Britain for naval combat (420 Build Carriers Everyday), then the United States for a chaotic running civil war. Biggest hint I can give you that isn't directly stated (I think) is that command limits for generals are per province. 12 units attacking the same place from two different provinces won't have a command limit penalty as long as their both controlled by Field Marshalls.

Friend Commuter posted:

And if you've got a HQ division commanded by a full General or a Field Marshal in the same province/a neighbouring province, command limits are doubled. It's hard to overstate how useful that is.

Thanks, y'all are great. I'll try starting out with Kaiserreich - I loaded up as Germany, took one look at the massive screens and gave up, tried loading up as Republican Spain because I thought that was faster and was still incredibly confused.

Quick question: why am I automatically accepting deals for resources? Countries keep on making deals with me that I have no say in, but I can't seem to make many deals manually that has a greater than 0 chance of acceptance? Is there some setting I should be looking at? Because the automatic deal acceptance thing meant that I had negative metal despite producing it because I was trading it all away, which doesn't seem like good strategy.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

MinistryofLard posted:

Quick question: why am I automatically accepting deals for resources? Countries keep on making deals with me that I have no say in, but I can't seem to make many deals manually that has a greater than 0 chance of acceptance? Is there some setting I should be looking at? Because the automatic deal acceptance thing meant that I had negative metal despite producing it because I was trading it all away, which doesn't seem like good strategy.

Click the the button that says "Auto-control window" in the Economy tab and you'll get a bunch of settings for trade. Import what you need and export what you have in excess or can make (Usually supplies). Don't try to handle trade manually except for big lump sum deals with your allies (Which can also involve trading blueprints and the occasional province, but I do not recommend trading land in Kaiserreich.)

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

I hope so, the Vicky series always feels like one with the most potential. Lots of stuff going on in a short time frame, but Vicky 2 feels somewhat hobbled by some design decisions that the DLC tweaking haven't been able to fix.

I'm salviating at the thought of a Vicky III brought up to par with CK2/EUIV :allears: (and hell, another official save game converter for maximum :getin:)

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

How do you download Kaiserreich? Because of the way the full stops are set up, it keeps on downloading as a .7z, which I'm fairly sure isn't a real thing.

If it is, what should I be unzipping with? I'm running this on an ancient XP virtual machine on a Macbook.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

MinistryofLard posted:

How do you download Kaiserreich? Because of the way the full stops are set up, it keeps on downloading as a .7z, which I'm fairly sure isn't a real thing.

If it is, what should I be unzipping with? I'm running this on an ancient XP virtual machine on a Macbook.

7zip

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Huh. I assumed it was just the filename breaking because of the full stops. Cheers :)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

MinistryofLard posted:

.7z is a real thing, and it should work fine in WinRar.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Pimpmust posted:

I hope so, the Vicky series always feels like one with the most potential. Lots of stuff going on in a short time frame, but Vicky 2 feels somewhat hobbled by some design decisions that the DLC tweaking haven't been able to fix.

I'm salviating at the thought of a Vicky III brought up to par with CK2/EUIV :allears: (and hell, another official save game converter for maximum :getin:)

"Sire, word comes from the Golden Horde that their political scientists have invented The Doctrine Of Fascism"

(or better, The Mission to Civilize :v:)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I'd actually expect a Hearts of Iron IV before a V2. HoI3 is badly in need of an update, and it has consistently been one of their best-selling franchises.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

ZearothK posted:

I'd actually expect a Hearts of Iron IV before a V2.

I don't know how to break this to you, but...

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Defeatist Elitist posted:

I don't know how to break this to you, but...

Well, yeah, obviously, the game starts before V2 Rockets are invented, of course I know that! *cough*

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah, and I probably expect a Rome II or maybe another one or two of their "inbetween" games before we see a whisp of any potential Vicky III.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Demiurge4 posted:

The new engine is also very robust and I think they just really like working in it. Plus they made a lot of mistakes with Vicky 2 that could be fixed, modding in the Clausewitz engine is amazingly easy compared to the mess that is Vicky 2.

Vicky 2 is Clauswitz

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I figured everyone in the Crusader Kings thread already has the game, so I thought I'd post this here. Steam recently handed out some coupons for 50% off CK2, and no one on my friends list has any interest in getting the game. If anyone would like it, toss me a friend request and I'll send the coupon your way.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Farecoal posted:

Vicky 2 is Clauswitz

Well then I really don't know why the map is so hard to mod :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pimpmust posted:

Vicky is already far superior to CK2/EUIV :colbert:

They should reboot the series, put the start date to 1776, and give it a name with more mass appeal

• Locked thread