Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gaan kak
Jul 22, 2007

RAP APOLOGIST
I need to stop installing quest or expansion mods onto my games. I kepe running into this problem: I've played BG1 and BG2 SoA extensively, so every time I end up rolling a character I search around for quest or expansion mods to play some new content. Problem is, many of these mods dump a whole bunch of hilariously overpowered items that trivialize the game for me (even with SCS and playing on Insane), and I end up petering out before I finish. As a result, I've never actually finished ToB... I always lose interest.

Dark Horizons (for BGEE) has totally thrown the game out of balance - a scimitar that adds two attacks per round, 0 AC (or lower) armors, a 22 STR belt, a bow that fires 2 magic missles (that aren't affected by MR), multiple boots of speed, etc. When I go through BG2 with my zerker/druid I'm going to be much more circumspect about what I install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Has anyone ever killed Kangaxx the super lich? I can handle his first form but when he becomes a demi-lich he is invulnerable to everything I can throw at him except the lightning damage from the Shortbow of Gesen. Problem is, he Imprisons the whole party one after the other before I can even come close to killing him.

gaan kak posted:

Dark Horizons (for BGEE) has totally thrown the game out of balance - a scimitar that adds two attacks per round, 0 AC (or lower) armors, a 22 STR belt, a bow that fires 2 magic missles (that aren't affected by MR), multiple boots of speed, etc. When I go through BG2 with my zerker/druid I'm going to be much more circumspect about what I install.

I'm playing through the base BG2EE right now and I have a belt of 21 STR and -1 AC Red Dragonscale armor, so all of that does not seem too far fetched. Though I guess if you have enough OP equipment for the whole party I could understand that. I'm a bit of a powergamer (even when trying to play casually) and my party doesnt have all the best people but I am getting ready to kill Bodhi and my party is pretty nuts because of all of the awesome equipment I have found/built. Not much has been giving me trouble, except the above.

gaan kak
Jul 22, 2007

RAP APOLOGIST

Mickey McKey posted:

I'm playing through the base BG2EE right now and I have a belt of 21 STR and -1 AC Red Dragonscale armor, so all of that does not seem too far fetched. Though I guess if you have enough OP equipment for the whole party I could understand that. I'm a bit of a powergamer (even when trying to play casually) and my party doesnt have all the best people but I am getting ready to kill Bodhi and my party is pretty nuts because of all of the awesome equipment I have found/built. Not much has been giving me trouble, except the above.

This is BG1EE :aaa:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Demi Lich's require +4 or better weapons. There are not a ton of them in early BG2.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mickey McKey posted:

As was mentioned, he was talking about BG1, the base game features exactly 2 pieces of ac0 armor, nothing that grants extra attacks, and (I think) no strength enhancing equipment beyond scrolls for the spell Strength"

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

cheesetriangles posted:

Demi Lich's require +4 or better weapons. There are not a ton of them in early BG2.

I was almost positive even Keldorn (wielding the Carsomyr) was saying "My weapon is ineffective" too, but I'll have to try again. Is there anything I can do about the Demi-Lich chain casting Imprisonment? The Spell doesnt have a save to let you resist.

gaan kak posted:

This is BG1EE :aaa:

Skwirl posted:

As was mentioned, he was talking about BG1, the base game features exactly 2 pieces of ac0 armor, nothing that grants extra attacks, and (I think) no strength enhancing equipment beyond scrolls for the spell Strength"

:stonk: I did miss that, yikes yeah thats just silly.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Mickey McKey posted:

I was almost positive even Keldorn (wielding the Carsomyr) was saying "My weapon is ineffective" too, but I'll have to try again. Is there anything I can do about the Demi-Lich chain casting Imprisonment? The Spell doesnt have a save to let you resist.

Put a Potion of Magic Blocking on Minsc, who has favored enemy undead. Give him the Mace of Disruption, and watch the demilich chunks fly! (Oh also make everyone else hide in the corner, invisible if possible)

edit: also Minsc's rage will protect him from Imprisonment. Basically just stand back let Minsc be Minsc.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 2, 2014

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Mickey McKey posted:

Kangaxx's second form has 90 or 95% physical damage resist, so straight up melee (ie. Carsomy) may take a while. The MoD +2 is capable of insta-killing him, though, and Ring of the Ram and thief traps still do regular damage to him so it's possible lay traps in the top left corner and RotR punt him (once he hits his second form) into the traps for the probable kill.

If not, Protection from Undead/Magic scrolls will make you immune to everything, Berserker, but not Barbarian, rage gives immunity to Imprisonment as does Spell Immunity: Abjuration.

Vorgen posted:

Put a Potion of Magic Blocking on Minsc, who has favored enemy undead. Give him the Mace of Disruption, and watch the demilich chunks fly! (Oh also make everyone else hide in the corner, invisible if possible)

The basic MoD isn't capable of hurting or killing his demi-lich form and BGEE fixed Potion of Magic Blocking to only stop spells of level 1-5.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 2, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Vorgen posted:

edit: also Minsc's rage will protect him from Imprisonment. Basically just stand back let Minsc be Minsc.

I dont have Minsc in the party :( Also I have the Mace of Disruption but it only hits as a +3 weapon :sigh:

Corvinus posted:

Kangaxx's second form has 90 or 95% physical damage resist, so straight up melee (ie. Carsomy) will take way too long to kill him. The MoD +2 is capable of insta-killing him, though, and Ring of the Ram and thief traps still do regular damage to him so it's possible lay traps in the top left corner and RotR punt him (once he hits his second form) into the traps for the probable kill.

If not, Protection from Undead/Magic scrolls will make you immune to everything, Berserker and Barbarian rage give immunity to Imprisonment as does Spell Immunity: Abjuration.

The basic MoD isn't capable of hurting or killing his demi-lich form.

Oh does the Mace of Disruption's ability work even if it does not strike for damage? I could probably pull that off if I can find a Spell Immunity: Abjuration. Thank you!

edit: Mace of Disruption definitely does not work.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 2, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mickey McKey posted:

Spell Immunity: (Whichever school Imprisonment is in) should do the trick, if you don't want to completely cheese it with Scroll of Protection: Undead.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Mickey McKey posted:

edit: Mace of Disruption definitely does not work.

I'm assuming you mean the unupgraded Mace of Disruption, which definitely won't work. Needs the illithium upgrade to be effective.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Corvinus posted:

I'm assuming you mean the unupgraded Mace of Disruption, which definitely won't work. Needs the illithium upgrade to be effective.

I had no idea you could upgrade it :downs:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mickey McKey posted:

It involves screwing over a church.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Mickey McKey posted:

If you've already done the Sir Sarles quest and/or don't want to console in the illithium to upgrade the MoD, a paladin using Carsomyr with a Prot. from Magic scroll (Adventurer's Mart has 2, I think) is supposed to be able to solo the demi-lich. If you want to speed it up a bit, pickpocketing the Ring of the Ram off Tolgerias or after killing Tolgerias is the Planar Sphere can do up to ~50% of Kangaxx's demi-lich form's HP.

Skwirl posted:

It involves screwing over a church.

I haven't tried it, but supposedly one can do the quest and once Sarles gets the illithium, "accidentally" Gate in a demon, let it kill everyone inside the house and then take the illithium off his corpse.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 2, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

heh, good to know, thank you both :)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Corvinus posted:

I haven't tried it, but supposedly one can do the quest and once Sarles gets the illithium, "accidentally" Gate in a demon, let it kill everyone inside the house and then take the illithium off his corpse.

How is this more moral than just giving him counterfeit illithium?

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Skwirl posted:

How is this more moral than just giving him counterfeit illithium?

Odds are the protagonist is a mass murderer already, so what's a few more?

The fake illithium reward is only 10,000xp and a piddly Helm of Glory less than the best reward, which isn't a significant loss if gating demons isn't acceptable/doable.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
A piddly helm of glory? Giving the real stuff nets you the exact same item, plus 1000 gold and 10,000 more exp. Weee. I'd rather keep the real illithium.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Thanks again for the help guys, I killed Kangaxx and holy god is the ring you get from him nuts :stare:. It is broken because it lets you wear it with magical armor, which most rings that grant AC and Saving Throw bonuses do not allow. What does the Helm of Glory do?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I think it is the standard protect against critical hits, +1 AC, +1 charisma.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The ring is legit one of the best items in the entire series.

Decided to start a half elf, fighter/mage/thief solo run. All those other party members were nothing but xp sponges. It is kinda weird how in a party based game it actually does you more harm than good to have a full party. 6 people is just too many. 3-4 seems a much better balance. 1 is for crazy people.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Now I've got the same NPC dialog bug with the right script not triggering... But with Anomen's dad in his own house where he's stuck telling me to get out.

Waited around and Anomen gave me his final warning but still getting hosed dialog... I don't want to have to swap him back for Jaheira as my divine caster, used her too many times. :(

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

cheesetriangles posted:

The ring is legit one of the best items in the entire series.

Decided to start a half elf, fighter/mage/thief solo run. All those other party members were nothing but xp sponges. It is kinda weird how in a party based game it actually does you more harm than good to have a full party. 6 people is just too many. 3-4 seems a much better balance. 1 is for crazy people.

You do notice the game is balanced around a 6 person party though. I'm now doing a berserker / cleric dual class run, and my only party member is Jan, so that I have all bases covered: melee power, arcane and divine magic, and thieving. I'm almost done with side quests in chapter 2, and I'm almost at the original SoA exp cap.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Samopsa posted:

You do notice the game is balanced around a 6 person party though. I'm now doing a berserker / cleric dual class run, and my only party member is Jan, so that I have all bases covered: melee power, arcane and divine magic, and thieving. I'm almost done with side quests in chapter 2, and I'm almost at the original SoA exp cap.

To be fair, BioWare kind of thought you would actually try and progress through the game instead of just clearing every possible sidequest in Chapter 2.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
This was before the psychology of a gamer was well understood I guess :shobon:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

We'll maybe the first 5 or 6 times you play the game you do progress.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The one party member suited to using Azuredge can't wield it. drat you game! :argh:

Stupid no evils allowed rule. With it Korgan would have been the perfect anti Kangaxx device.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Azuredge is only +3 though.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Not quite right there, there's also: Big fisted belt, Cursed belt of hill giant strength (sets strength to 19 but int to 6) - Cloudpeaks temple (part of Rasaads quest) inside a locked chest in acolytes quarters. That is worthwhile on any pure melee. I give to Kagain usually.

verybad posted:

To be fair, BioWare kind of thought you would actually try and progress through the game instead of just clearing every possible sidequest in Chapter 2.

I would do that if my first playthrough of BG1 wasn't completely ruined by doing it. "Yay I got to BG! Let me follow the main quest, "WTF I'm wanted for murder in BG and have to have a running battle through every map and can't stop and do quests?"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Suspicious posted:

Azuredge is only +3 though.

I recall the undead instant kill effect still working despite this. I may be misremembering.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

verybad posted:

Even with a 6 member party you'll hit the original cap in the underdark if you're a completist though. And chapter 2 is the best point of time to do these quests from a narrative perspective anyway, since in chapter 6 you're supposed to be dying from having your soul extracted.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Factor_VIII posted:

Even with a 6 member party you'll hit the original cap in the underdark if you're a completist though. And chapter 2 is the best point of time to do these quests from a narrative perspective anyway, since in chapter 6 you're supposed to be dying from having your soul extracted.

I always read it that Imoen was simply dying while you were just slowly descending into psychotic madness because You're The Special One.

That said, it doesn't really make sense to spend six months questing in either Ch2 or Ch6 because in Ch2 you're trying to rescue Imoen who has been kidnapped and taken away with a god-like magician who has shown that he has a real taste for torturing the gently caress out of you two for unknown purposes. Seems like an important time crunch.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

I recall the undead instant kill effect still working despite this. I may be misremembering.

IIRC all instant kill effects work even if you hit a Stoneskin (and deal 0 damage) but not if the enemy is outright immune to your weapon (from Mantle or related effects)

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Can anyone explain to me how progression works between BG1EE and BG2EE? Do things like XP, tomes used on NPC's, and weapon proficiencies carry over to BG2?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Stuff relating to your PC (and any other PCs you created) carry, everything else does not.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Skwirl posted:

There are the Gauntlets of Ogre Power, which were in BG1 Vanilla, but those do come no sooner than Chapter 5, which mitigates their power a little bit. Plus, it's entirely possible for a PC to start with 18/00 strength.

Hughlander posted:

Big fisted belt, Cursed belt of hill giant strength (sets strength to 19 but int to 6) - Cloudpeaks temple (part of Rasaads quest) inside a locked chest in acolytes quarters. That is worthwhile on any pure melee. I give to Kagain usually.

Also this in BG1EE only.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

UberJumper posted:

Can anyone explain to me how progression works between BG1EE and BG2EE? Do things like XP, tomes used on NPC's, and weapon proficiencies carry over to BG2?

The party members in BG2 are for all intents and purposes completely separate characters. Many of them that were in the previous game have different stats.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
How viable are swashbucklers for BGT? I kinda like the idea of a hooded halfling duelist who uses long swords (and early on, slings) but I dunno if I'm just gimping myself that way.

I was playing another melee fighter type but I found it kinda boring so I'm hoping maybe swashbuckler will give me a thief that can stay in the game? I dunno, is this a bad idea?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
They're alright but pretty much worse than just a regular old Fighter/Thief. They're most useful for doing like a Swashbuckler/Cleric dual class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

voltron lion force posted:

They're alright but pretty much worse than just a regular old Fighter/Thief. They're most useful for doing like a Swashbuckler/Cleric dual class.

I really need to get around to doing something with EEkeeper like Kensai/Swashbuckler multi.

Then again even with that level of nonsense it would still be flat worse than a normal kensage or F/M.