Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
I'd like to prepare a week's, or at least a few days', meals once a week, easily store them, and then eat them over a week without making them taste bad or spoil.

Is there an easy way of doing this?

Currently, I make a bunch of chicken breasts and a pot of rice, sticking them in the fridge for the two or three days I feel safe eating them. But I don't want to grab and put together three meals every morning before I leave work - I'd much prefer it if there were already three meals prepared every day that I could just stuff in my bag and then stick in the fridge at work about two hours later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
I was going to try out a new soup recipe, but I realized it wants me to cook it in a dutch oven. I don't have a dutch oven. Would a large pot make a decent substitute, or should I just go out and buy one? What would I expect to pay for a decent one? They seem to start at about 40 bucks on Amazon.

Edit:^^^ As long as I'm here, I find that soups are good for this. I make up a big batch on Sundays and divide them into individual portions which I then drop in the fridge for freezer depending on how soon I'm going to eat it and that's lunch for a week. I do something similar with hamburgers for dinner.

Golden_Zucchini fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 2, 2014

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah, any old pot will work if it's just asking you to simmer it on the stovetop. If it has you put it in the oven, make sure your pot is oven-proof before doing that (duh). I like my dutch oven, but it's far from necessary for soups/stews.

Sometimes you can find the bare cast iron ones at garage sales/antique stores for cheaper than buying a new one. The lodge 5qt basic cast iron one is $31 on amazon and lodge is a good brand, so somewhere ~$30 unless you want an enameled one.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
Brown the meat, add other ingredients, simmer covered for an hour and a half. I'll use the pot I've got. Thanks.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
A couple of Fish And Chips related questions:

1) I've got a filet of tilapia, is that a fish that's suitable to batter and fry?
2) When it comes to the batter, is it alright to just add beer to a Just Add Water pancake mix?
3) Can I reuse the oil after I fry the fish, or should I do the potatoes first, then the fish, then dump the oil?

Captain Trips fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 2, 2014

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm trying to register my all clad pan to activate the warranty but I don't have the SKU number. Are SKUs the same so I can just go to a store and copy the SKU down and use that?

Safe and Secure! posted:

I'd like to prepare a week's, or at least a few days', meals once a week, easily store them, and then eat them over a week without making them taste bad or spoil.

Currently, I make a bunch of chicken breasts and a pot of rice, sticking them in the fridge for the two or three days I feel safe eating them. But I don't want to grab and put together three meals every morning before I leave work - I'd much prefer it if there were already three meals prepared every day that I could just stuff in my bag and then stick in the fridge at work about two hours later.

Scoop rice and chicken into individual containers that you can just grab and go?

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
Yeah, but then I reheat it and it still tastes like it was cooked, stored, and reheated.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Safe and Secure! posted:

Yeah, but then I reheat it and it still tastes like it was cooked, stored, and reheated.

How are you doing the cooking? Chicken breast is a lot more reheat friendly if you've cut it into chunks and sauteed them, for instance. Pork loin is also super reheat friendly this way, and a lot of soups are very freezer friendly.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
I throw a frozen chicken breast into a cast iron skillet, add salt and red pepper, and heat it until it's safe to eat.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Safe and Secure! posted:

I do this in individual tupperwares and routinely make beef stew, pork and sweet potato curry, jambalaya, or pork roast with cabbage and mirepoix and make enough for lunch and dinner for 5 days. Basically this is what I do every Sunday. One dish going in the crock pot and another in the oven. This week was oven cooked pork shoulder with carrot and cauliflower purée on the side. Reheated and tasted good. Cheap too.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Safe and Secure! posted:

I throw a frozen chicken breast into a cast iron skillet, add salt and red pepper, and heat it until it's safe to eat.

Unless I am way misunderstanding your method, you are prooooobably way overcooking your chicken. Cooking to 165 internal temp will give you fairly dry and overcooked white meat chicken to begin with; cooking straight from the freezer means that it takes even longer for the interior to hit that temp and means the exterior (and thinner end of the chicken breast) will be dry and terrible. You really, really need to defrost before cooking.

As for the "tastes like reheated," I think what you object to is something that you cooked in a pan tasting like it was steamed. Honestly, that's just how microwaves work, but you could instead go for stuff that should be steamed. Dry leftover rice is always gonna taste like leftover rice, unfortunately, and meat in general will only get worse if microwaved. Frozen vegetables do quite well in the microwave, though, if you like steamed vegetables. Soups, stews, curry, goulash, chili, anything with a lot of sauce or liquid also tends to be very forgiving of being reheated. If you have access to boiling or very hot water, you could bring dry uncooked couscous and whatever flavorings (vegetables, meat, even just veggie soup mix) and make it right there at work, though you might want a more sturdy container for that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You can rejuvenate rice pretty well in the microwave if you put a wet paper towel over it

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Safe and Secure! posted:

When I take chicken breasts for lunch I will cook a batch of them in the oven until they're about 135-140 depending on the size of the breast on the Sunday before work. Makes them much more resistant to drying out when reheated. Then again if you're squeamish about "minimum" internal temps this method may not be for you.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

edit: wrong thread. wtf andoid app, wtf.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Well, this is more complex than I hoped for...Thanks for getting a copy of the page for me though. I got the Modernist at Home for christmas this year and its been pretty cool to read

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

George Foreman grills are great for bachelor food. Defrost individual flash frozen chicken breasts in the fridge in some marinade and throw em on the grill. In less than ten minutes you get a nicely seared juicy piece of chicken.

Reheated chicken breast didn't taste great to me unless drowned in sauce... Which was bachelor meal #2 for me, rice + leftover chicken + trader joes Indian sauces.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

You can rejuvenate rice pretty well in the microwave if you put a wet paper towel over it

That's true, but (as a person who doesn't like rice that much to begin with, and I know that's heresy) it still retains a bit of graininess even if you can bring it back from its original hard texture.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Just bought a big bag of steel cut oats for the first time. I simmered some (3:1 water:oats) for 20 min this morning with a pinch of salt and a stick of cinnamon. Put a bit of light brown sugar on top after it was done. Needed to add a touch more water near the end, but overall, pretty good!

How do you guys like your oats?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

angor posted:

Just bought a big bag of steel cut oats for the first time. I simmered some (3:1 water:oats) for 20 min this morning with a pinch of salt and a stick of cinnamon. Put a bit of light brown sugar on top after it was done. Needed to add a touch more water near the end, but overall, pretty good!

How do you guys like your oats?
Boil 1 min the night before, microwave in morning with salt and raisins. Not exactly for a gourmand but when you eat it all the time it helps to have a time saving method of preparation.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
How long would you guys think a pound of cooked ground beef would last in the fridge? I'm thinking of grabbing a chub and making some poor man's sloppy joes to give some variety to my diet.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Leal posted:

How long would you guys think a pound of cooked ground beef would last in the fridge? I'm thinking of grabbing a chub and making some poor man's sloppy joes to give some variety to my diet.

I'd give it a week max. You could freeze half for later.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Do you have any way of buying ground beef in other than "chub" form? I only ask because those are rather notorious for having food safety issues.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Schmeichy posted:

I'd give it a week max. You could freeze half for later.

That'd work great, I live week to week. Ideally I'll finish it off within 5 days

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Do you have any way of buying ground beef in other than "chub" form? I only ask because those are rather notorious for having food safety issues.

Would the.. square plastic "plates" with plastic wrap around it be better?

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
I've made two chickens in the past couple weeks and haven't bothered trussing and it's come out just as properly cooked as when I have trussed. No dry breasts here.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Leal posted:

Would the.. square plastic "plates" with plastic wrap around it be better?

Yes, because those are almost always ground fresh in house in the grocery where you're getting them, (and often from better bits, since they will use the scraps from making their other cuts), but those tubes of ground beef are done off site in processing plants where food safety has been an issue time and time again (in the news.)

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

AlistairCookie posted:

Yes, because those are almost always ground fresh in house in the grocery where you're getting them, (and often from better bits, since they will use the scraps from making their other cuts), but those tubes of ground beef are done off site in processing plants where food safety has been an issue time and time again (in the news.)

Generally, but not always. Many supermarkets are getting rid of higher paid skilled workers and doing processing at the distribution center. In those places, beef will only be packed at the store. Ask your butcher.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I've discovered that I really like a) ground turkey and b) brussel sprouts.

Any decent things you guys like to do with either? So far, I've just been making turkey spaghetti and turkey/chorizo burgers and roasting brussel sprouts with salt and pepper after soaking in sugar water the night before.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Ron Jeremy posted:

Generally, but not always. Many supermarkets are getting rid of higher paid skilled workers and doing processing at the distribution center. In those places, beef will only be packed at the store. Ask your butcher.
There's also the Wal-Mart approach, where literally every fresh meat item comes in prepackaged and prepriced ("case ready") and the most work an employee does anymore is place a "use by" label on it before it goes on the shelf.

(please nobody ever buy Wal-Mart meat)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys I need some ideas for baked eggs for my cafe menu, we only do Spanish (chorizo, onion, bacon, leek, mushroom and spinach) and Ricotta right now.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
Feel free to tell me not to eat them, but whatever:

Is there a good way to make frozen dinners (Banquet, etc) in a toaster oven? My roommate and I have the worst microwave known to man, and it doesn't spin, so I refuse to use it. The box says don't make them in a toaster oven, but a TO isn't that much different from a real oven, is it?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

If it specifically says don't, then the plastic is probably going to melt or something. You're much closer to the heating element in a toaster oven, so in a sense it's almost like broiling in a full-size oven. You might as well try it for science, I'm curious to know if I'm right.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
I may as well just use the full-size oven, then. I had hoped not to, but it's still better than the microwave.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You still want to take the food out of the plastic package and put it into something oven-safe in that case

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

bowmore posted:

Hey guys I need some ideas for baked eggs for my cafe menu, we only do Spanish (chorizo, onion, bacon, leek, mushroom and spinach) and Ricotta right now.

You can make a great cassoulet-style baked egg dish, with leek, garlic, thyme, tomato, white bean, duck confit, and bacon/pancetta.

My favourite baked egg dish is a ramekin with mashed celeriac with a hole in it and an egg cracked into that, served with rapini, a good hard cheese, and pork belly.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
I made a really great spicy aioli to put on sweet potato fries. I still have some of the aioli left so what else can I put it on?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

toe knee hand posted:

I made a really great spicy aioli to put on sweet potato fries. I still have some of the aioli left so what else can I put it on?

Anything, everything. Meat, vegetables, bread, in eggs. Use it anywhere you might use mayonnaise and enjoy something 500% more delicious. More ideas in the comments here.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I got an iSi Gourmet Whip Plus 1 Pint because the Williams Sonoma by my house is closing and everything was on sale. If I didn't have an anova I could have gotten the Poly Science that normally retails for 399$ for $250 after tax with a free cambro.

What fun things can I do with the iSi? I only have 3 N2O canisters and 10 CO2 canisters currently. I was going to do some carbonated fruit and whipped cream of course, but after that I'm kind of lost. Is CO2 better for foams? How can I make a foam like Marcel from Top Chef?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Foams are dumb. Do not make a foam.

There's a cake in a mug thing you can do that's supposedly pretty good (though I've never done it).

With carbonated fruit, the sweeter the fruit the better, since the carbonic acid is bitter. Oranges taste like orangina, which you may or may not like. Watermelon is good. Grapes are good if they're sweet enough to begin with.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Foams are dumb. Do not make a foam.

There's a cake in a mug thing you can do that's supposedly pretty good (though I've never done it).

With carbonated fruit, the sweeter the fruit the better, since the carbonic acid is bitter. Oranges taste like orangina, which you may or may not like. Watermelon is good. Grapes are good if they're sweet enough to begin with.

I know that you can do whipped potatoes in an iSi, but how does cauliflower work with that? The one I got can go up to 180something, so I was thinking of making a cauliflower puree and charging it in the whipper and dispensing that way.

I was half joking about the foam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
I have a calphalone one skillet with a very flat bottom and low sides. It used to make eggs beautifully but I feel like either my daughter helping me with metal utensils :( or just usage has lost it's awesome coating. It's really frustrating to cook eggs now and I really am looking to replace it with another skillet that cooks some awesome over easy eggs (or scrambled). To make things better I got a gift certificate from the overpriced williams-sonoma. So my budget is 100 bucks.

Any recommndations?