Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

BlackMK4 posted:

Hahahaha. Here is the motorcycle equivalent: Ninja 250 at Laguna Seca vs liter bikes and poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz03sQeX02c

That was beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I guess I should have posted an :fsmug: at the end to clear things up. Im speaking from my experience. Where most cars that are Merican take a flat head screwdriver and patience to change...sorry your car has a poopy design for the struts.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Beach Bum posted:

Thank you for posting this; the lines of the 250 rider were absolutely beautiful and to watch him eat up the other riders in the corners was great.

That's what I was thinking. His lines are textbook. It shows that a good line in the corners can really help to make up for lack of straight speed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kill-9 posted:

That's what I was thinking. His lines are textbook. It shows that a good line in the corners can really help to make up for lack of straight speed.

That, and being a lot more aggressive on the brakes. He was passing a lot of those guys before they even got to the corners because they'd get out of the throttle so early and brake gently.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Kill-9 posted:

Momentum is everything. Higher average speed > "but I'm real fast on the straights!"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BlackMK4 posted:

Hahahaha. Here is the motorcycle equivalent: Ninja 250 at Laguna Seca vs liter bikes and poo poo.

Ahaha, half of the comments are "Man, 250s are so slow I'm thinkin' about getting a 600 for my first bike".

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Phone posted:

Ahaha, half of the comments are "Man, 250s are so slow I'm thinkin' about getting a 600 for my first bike".

And that will be the last comment he ever makes. I love that guy's lines through turn 1 and 8/9.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

KozmoNaut posted:

Haha, that's rich.

Try replacing the rear hatch struts on a Citroën C5 wagon. They run horizontally inside the roof and are just barely strong enough to hold the hatch open when it's warm out, in the winter they're completely useless even when new.

Volvo 850's have the struts in the same location, I was so dismayed when I noticed. To make it worse because of how they designed the rear interior you have to remove everything from the floor up to get the headliner off :argh:

Thankfully they are strong enough to hold the hatch even when it's cold, though sometimes it takes a few extra seconds for them to reach a full strength hold.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Phone posted:

It doesn't help that cycle culture is dominated by a vocal subset that doesn't emphasize skill as much as they do "balls" and power, in a platform that should be treated with a more healthy amount of respect. In a car things are dangerous enough, but relatively more survivable than cycles.

This leads to new guys coming in and getting ridiculed and ribbed for getting sensible starters, or getting handed bad advice on starters.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 31, 2013

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007

8ender posted:

Same exact problem, and my E34 has that odd reverse hood hinged at the front, so its like a giant sail.

Haha, the hood I was referring to was my e34. What a pain in the rear end.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Wasabi the J posted:

It doesn't help that cycle culture is dominated by a vocal subset that doesn't emphasize skill as much as they do "balls" and power, in a platform that should be treated with a more healthy amount of respect. In a car things are dangerous enough, but relatively more survivable than cycles.

This leads to new guys coming in and getting ridiculed and ribbed for getting sensible starters, or getting handed bad advice on starters.

poo poo, back when I was in school some guy who rode a GSX-R was talking about how the 600 wasn't even worth considering, that you should get at least the 750 for starters (so you can learn how to handle the power y'know), preferably the 1000, and only the Hayabusa was to be avoided "for the first year or two haha".

Even as an avid car enthusiast who is terrified to ever sit on a bike, I knew that was dumb even at the time, and especially now.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

BlackMK4 posted:

In all fairness a 250 is a lot less scary to drive hard than a liter bike :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

In all fairness a 250 is a lot less scary to drive hard than a liter bike :v:

It's more scary to brake that late and carry that much corner speed than to crack into the throttle before apex, get on it hard leaving, and carry the front while still leaned over. :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BlackMK4 posted:

It's more scary to brake that late and carry that much corner speed than to crack into the throttle before apex, get on it hard leaving, and carry the front while still leaned over. :v:
This principle is true with cars as well, though in fairness you can't fall off a car. Always good to see someone braking into a corner hard enough it sets off the g-sensing hazards or pulsing brake lights.

Meanwhile, for :stare: :

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Wasabi the J posted:

That mindset is present with anything involving an engine, up to and including lawnmowers and under-sink garbage disposalls

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

InitialDave posted:

Meanwhile, for :stare: :

That last one is pretty convincing in GIF form, but it's more of a special effects success than a driving failure.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

That last one is pretty convincing in GIF form, but it's more of a special effects success than a driving failure.

I guess that one as being fake rather than a real incident

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

I find smaller bikes more frightening at high corner speeds because my mind is saying "THE TYRES ARE SMALLER THEREFORE THEY HAVE LESS GRIP SLOW DOWN".

Is this an IED somehow buried under the tarmac or something?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Slavvy posted:

I find smaller bikes more frightening at high corner speeds because my mind is saying "THE TYRES ARE SMALLER THEREFORE THEY HAVE LESS GRIP SLOW DOWN".

IIRC it's actually that glued-dirt hardpack stuff.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Slavvy posted:

If I remember correctly it was an IED placed in a culvert under the road and was too deep to explode quickly, instead pushing the ground up.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Snowdens Secret posted:

That mindset is present with anything involving an engine, up to and including lawnmowers and under-sink garbage disposalls

And even things without engines - The firearms community is rife with this kind of poo poo, as is practically every other subculture. I'm sure that someone out there is convinced that you hosed up your furniture choices, since everyone's first desk seating should be the Styleron Ecochair.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Exit Strategy posted:

And even things without engines - The firearms community is rife with this kind of poo poo, as is practically every other subculture. I'm sure that someone out there is convinced that you hosed up your furniture choices, since everyone's first desk seating should be the Styleron Ecochair.

Is that a Poang?, what are you, in college? You've got a mortgage for christssakes.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Exit Strategy posted:

And even things without engines - The firearms community

Firearms are heat engines :science:

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

I'm sure its safe.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

JackRabbitStorm posted:

I'm sure its safe.

:stonk:

I almost didn't notice the two lug-nuts that are on backwards. How that wheel hasn't let go entirely is nothing short of a miracle.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I wonder what that sounds like when it drives in reverse.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
He could have at least used washers.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

JackRabbitStorm posted:

I'm sure its safe.

How. How. How. Just... how. That poo poo doesn't happen overnight.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
those are just shuffle bolts.

on a shuffle wheel

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Mcqueen posted:

those are just shuffle bolts.

on a shuffle wheel

the better to help you shuffle off that pesky mortal coil

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Babyseat in the back.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's been mentioned that this is a Supra kit?? The gently caress?

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 3, 2014

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

FatCow posted:

Babyseat in the back.

Is that a 2010-ish Nissan Altima? My parents had their wheels replaced under warranty due to being a bad casting from China. They only had a hairline crack, not a catastrophic failure like that one.

88h88 posted:

I swear there are almost no aftermarket add-ons for the Supra that don't look like total rear end.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

88h88 posted:

http://www.carscoops.com/2011/01/veilside-4509-gtr-is-toyota-supra-iv.html?m=1

Wrong thread in my opinion

Nocheez posted:

Is that a 2010-ish Nissan Altima? My parents had their wheels replaced under warranty due to being a bad casting from China. They only had a hairline crack, not a catastrophic failure like that one.

It's an RX-8.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Nocheez posted:

It was an RX-8.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

FatCow posted:

It was an RX-8.

Durrr. I should've at least looked at the fender instead of focusing on the (blurry) wheels.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

88h88 posted:

Veilside ruins everything it touches.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
you're right, the stock wheels *are* a bit boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I feel like I should be doing lines of coke off that car's rear end....It is not a good feeling.