Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While there's probably no way they could have stopped themselves its pretty funny how they all have exactly the same experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
That's something only going over the top once would solve, I think. You can't know that's coming without having taken the big leap first.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Rhyno posted:

I recall reading about a dude who dealt with kids jumping in his artificial pond by putting a bunch of steel spikes in it. I believe he got a massive fine and possibly jail time.

Pretty sure booby trapping just about anything qualifies as some weird variety of assault and/or manslaughter.

I knew a guy in high school who died from decapitation, while dirt-biking, because some tool decided that the best way to keep kids from dirt-biking on his land was to stretch a steel cable across the trail at neck level. I have no idea what happened to the landowner. Probably they could still stick a criminal negligence charge on that guy if they couldn't prove he was the one who put the cable up, but :iiam:
My google-fu wasn't strong enough to find any details just now.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

uwaeve posted:

I like to think that this is Loop Mark 2, where Loop Mark 1 is the one where the guy just plows through the transition like it's loving cardboard (can't find the GIF, sorry).

"OK, we've added significant reinforcement to the transition. Roll camera!"

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

deadly_pudding posted:

Pretty sure booby trapping just about anything qualifies as some weird variety of assault and/or manslaughter.

I knew a guy in high school who died from decapitation, while dirt-biking, because some tool decided that the best way to keep kids from dirt-biking on his land was to stretch a steel cable across the trail at neck level. I have no idea what happened to the landowner. Probably they could still stick a criminal negligence charge on that guy if they couldn't prove he was the one who put the cable up, but :iiam:

Jesus loving christ.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Are you from Indiana, because I remember that same thing happened here about a decade ago?

e: Nevermind. Here it was a kid on a quad.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Didn't a goon superglue razorblades to his car stereo after someone broke into his car several times? I just remember seeing pics of a booby trapped car with would-be thief blood everywhere.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

deadly_pudding posted:

It's assault, could be manslaughter or murder if you kill someone. Without going too deep, the basic idea is that while most (probably all) states allow the use of force to defend property, the force must be used under a reasonable belief that the use of force is necessary given the specific circumstances, and the amount of force must be appropriately proportionate to the threat. Automatically activated traps are obviously incapable of being used with regard to specific circumstances, so they cannot satisfy the requirements for a legitimate use of force.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

HonorableTB posted:

That's something only going over the top once would solve, I think. You can't know that's coming without having taken the big leap first.

You can see the trail running down to the left, and no one with any sense goes big on their first run of a trail. The DH community ended up deciding they were either really dumb or did it on purpose.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Baldbeard posted:

Didn't a goon superglue razorblades to his car stereo after someone broke into his car several times? I just remember seeing pics of a booby trapped car with would-be thief blood everywhere.

Any plan that involves strange people bleeding all over your car is a fantastically poor one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bussamove posted:

Any plan that involves strange people bleeding all over your car is a fantastically poor one.

Looks like somebody doesn't have any Vampire-American friends.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

deadly_pudding posted:

I remember now. It was an article in one of my ethics classes and my Professor said it was a really good idea. If you had a dick neighbor you could sabotage his pool/yard and when someone was hurt the neighbor would be at fault. I disagreed with him quite loudly. No wonder I nearly failed that course.

BgRdMchne posted:

Are you from Indiana, because I remember that same thing happened here about a decade ago?

e: Nevermind. Here it was a kid on a quad.

I'm from Indiana and I remember the quad kid too.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Rhyno posted:

I remember now. It was an article in one of my ethics classes and my Professor said it was a really good idea. If you had a dick neighbor you could sabotage his pool/yard and when someone was hurt the neighbor would be at fault. I disagreed with him quite loudly. No wonder I nearly failed that course.

How the gently caress is that sort of person teaching ethics? :psyduck:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

President Ark posted:

How the gently caress is that sort of person teaching ethics? :psyduck:

Good question. But almost the entire class agreed with him. Those of us that argued received low grades.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Hah. Never attended Acme Looniversity? :smug:

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.

Not My Leg posted:

It's assault, could be manslaughter or murder if you kill someone. Without going too deep, the basic idea is that while most (probably all) states allow the use of force to defend property, the force must be used under a reasonable belief that the use of force is necessary given the specific circumstances, and the amount of force must be appropriately proportionate to the threat. Automatically activated traps are obviously incapable of being used with regard to specific circumstances, so they cannot satisfy the requirements for a legitimate use of force.

Most castle laws are like that, but when I moved to Arizona I was very surprised to learn that isn't the case here. The law explicitly states that you can use deadly force on a home intruder regardless of what you feel their intentions are and you have no obligation to warn then or try to get away first. It also applies to people forcing their way into occupied vehicles or forcefully trying to remove you from one.

I have no idea how that can be interpreted for booby traps though. Still it would be wise not to try and rob people in Arizona since most are packing heat.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

pageerror404 posted:

Most castle laws are like that, but when I moved to Arizona I was very surprised to learn that isn't the case here. The law explicitly states that you can use deadly force on a home intruder regardless of what you feel their intentions are and you have no obligation to warn then or try to get away first.

That's absolutely not true, and I know this because it's part of the course to get a carry permit. You are not allowed to use deadly force in response to criminal trespass. To protect yourself? Sure. To protect your property? Sure. But just because someone's *in or on* your property? No. Section 13-411 of the state codes.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
I thought the biggest objection to booby-traps specifically was that they might hurt any first responders (police, firefighters, paramedics, etc.) who might need to be on your property while you aren't around.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

thekeeshman posted:

I thought the biggest objection to booby-traps specifically was that they might hurt any first responders (police, firefighters, paramedics, etc.) who might need to be on your property while you aren't around.

It's because you can't kill a mere trespasser. It's morally wrong. I don't see how that is a hard concept. Also, someone with a bona fide or contractual reason to be there, such as a meter reader, may be harmed or killed.

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.

Phanatic posted:

That's absolutely not true, and I know this because it's part of the course to get a carry permit. You are not allowed to use deadly force in response to criminal trespass. To protect yourself? Sure. To protect your property? Sure. But just because someone's *in or on* your property? No. Section 13-411 of the state codes.

I apologize, maybe I spoke too generally. I didn't mean you could literally kill someone on your property just for fun because you wanted to. It was more intended to highlight subsection B of 13-411.

"B. There is no duty to retreat before threatening or using physical force or deadly physical force justified by subsection A of this section."

And subsection A says you can use deadly force if you suspect the intruder wants to commits arson, burglary, manslaughter, murder, kidnapping, rape, child molestation or assault.

I can't think of too many other reasons someone would break into your house... maybe a child retrieving a lost frisbee or your daughters boyfriend coming to see her. In that case, Arizona state law wouldn't be on your side.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

thekeeshman posted:

First responders' lives aren't inherently more valuable than anyone else's, despite what their unions and lobbyists would have you believe. The objection stems that, absent aggravating circumstances, merely being somewhere you don't belong isn't a capital offense. Even places like the infamous Groom Lake in Nevada, which have "YOU MAY BE SHOT WITHOUT WARNING" signs prominently displayed with the force of federal law behind them, will really go out of their way not to kill people who aren't doing anything besides trespassing.

The problem is, automated traps can't discriminate between "pizza guy came to the wrong house," "trespassing," and "criminal trespass with intent to murder you", so they can injure or kill when the circumstances may not warrant it. Sure, you could I guess make them legal and then prosecute the poo poo out of property owners who set them up when they cause harm to the wrong people, but the US has decided that it's a greater benefit to save the lives and criminalize booby traps.

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013

pageerror404 posted:

I apologize, maybe I spoke too generally. I didn't mean you could literally kill someone on your property just for fun because you wanted to. It was more intended to highlight subsection B of 13-411.

"B. There is no duty to retreat before threatening or using physical force or deadly physical force justified by subsection A of this section."

And subsection A says you can use deadly force if you suspect the intruder wants to commits arson, burglary, manslaughter, murder, kidnapping, rape, child molestation or assault.

I can't think of too many other reasons someone would break into your house... maybe a child retrieving a lost frisbee or your daughters boyfriend coming to see her. In that case, Arizona state law wouldn't be on your side.

I can't tell if you think that Arizona law allows you to murder children in your house or not. You should state your opinions more clearly.

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.

ILL ON PZONES posted:

I can't tell if you think that Arizona law allows you to murder children in your house or not. You should state your opinions more clearly.

It's pretty obvious by the last line that I said the opposite of that.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Shut up and post idiots.

Gonna get in shape this year!

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Booby-traps have a way of back-firing:

Such as the guy who near decapitated him self by riding his ATV through his own piano-wire trap.There was a 1000 ways to die death similar to this guys,so this kind of death isn't unique, i guess.
http://nypost.com/2013/09/02/man-nearly-decapitated-after-riding-atv-into-piano-wire-booby-trap-guarding-pot/

Or the guy who booby-trapped his own home, only to be killed by one of his own traps, though he might have just been buried in his own junk.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collyer_brothers#Homer_Collyer.27s_death

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Shut up and post idiots.

Gonna get in shape this year!

What is happening here?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

crazkylo posted:

What is happening here?

PHYSICAL FITNESS.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

That dog puncturing the tires story made me laugh harder than anything in my life. That loving animation.

IIRC the news anchors couldn't stop laughing afterwards either.

Angry Guacamole
Dec 2, 2007

Oh God run away

crazkylo posted:

What is happening here?

New Year's resolutions. :doh: I dread going in to the gym tomorrow.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

crazkylo posted:

What is happening here?

Lyle in Infinite Jest posted:

And the Lord said: Let not the weight thou wouldst pull to thyself exceed thine own weight.

This guy thought he had a work-around but his knuckles were daaaamned for his hubris.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

crazkylo posted:

What is happening here?

Every year.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Shnag posted:

Or the guy who booby-trapped his own home, only to be killed by one of his own traps, though he might have just been buried in his own junk.
Reminds me of when an old Belgian man (very elaborately) booby-trapped his house so when he died, his kids would move in and get killed. He forgot about one of the traps and was killed by it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shnag posted:

Such as the guy who near decapitated him self by riding his ATV through his own piano-wire trap.There was a 1000 ways to die death similar to this guys,so this kind of death isn't unique, i guess.
http://nypost.com/2013/09/02/man-nearly-decapitated-after-riding-atv-into-piano-wire-booby-trap-guarding-pot/

Or the Palestinian diplomat that blew himself up in Prague opening the safe in his living room yesterday:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/02/world/europe/czech-republic-blast-palestinian/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Depending on your political views that may or may not count as schadenfreude.

EDIT: vvvvv nice.

Midjack has a new favorite as of 06:55 on Jan 3, 2014

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW
Speaking of booby-traps:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/02/world/europe/Palestinian-ambassador-dies-in-Prague.html?_r=0

:lol:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I bet you guys can post a thread in D&D about this and have a pretty fun time learning about ethics, morals, philosophy, and why you're an idiotic piece of poo poo.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Are you on crack, Rob?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

What kind of safe would have explosives as a security measure?

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

Say Nothing posted:

Are you on crack, Rob?

hurtful

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

JayKay posted:

What kind of safe would have explosives as a security measure?
Not a particularly safe one, clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Nobody's getting their hands on my priceless Wile E Coyote memorabilia!

• Locked thread