Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

StabMasterArson posted:

please explain in endless loving paragraphs thanks

WOOD IS MAGIC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

brickswereshat posted:

I just listened to Quantum Whatever and honestly, it wasn't THAT bad for it's genre. I've played with a LOT of spergy guitarists over the years, and while he DOES appear to be largely insufferable (I've never worked/played with/met him in person), as a guitarist he's... OK.

What I actually thought was genuinely interesting was the "Early Rush"/"Tony Levin" feel of his bass playing. Very clean and bright with a measured staccatto like Levin with all the chord arpeggio breakdowns of early Rush. Dr. Faustus, your soloing seems choppy and broken, where it almost seems like you're taking breaths in the solos. Those breaks feel unnatural and really jarring in the context of the fluidity of the rest of the song. This isn't "FLAME ON" or anything like that, but simple honest opinion. I honestly think that in the right band, you could be an excellent bassist (again following the Quantum Eh genre), but your guitar work needs to find a little more of an organic, fluid feel.

This post is 100% non-sarcastic, for the record.

No one is ragging on him because he's a laughably bad guitarist or anything, it's just kind of fascinating to find someone who's been around here for so long but still honestly doesn't understand how a troll works. Doctor, here is a useful primer on internet malevolence written for older folks that might help you understand what's happening to you here

this one new York times article posted:

At the next table, middle-schoolers with punk-rock haircuts feasted noisily on energy drinks and whipped cream. Fortuny sipped a white-chocolate mocha. He proceeded to demonstrate his personal cure for trolling, the Theory of the Green Hair.

“You have green hair,” he told me. “Did you know that?”

“No,” I said.

“Why not?”

“I look in the mirror. I see my hair is black.”

“That’s uh, interesting. I guess you understand that you have green hair about as well as you understand that you’re a terrible reporter.”

“What do you mean? What did I do?”

“That’s a very interesting reaction,” Fortuny said. “Why didn’t you get so defensive when I said you had green hair?” If I were certain that I wasn’t a terrible reporter, he explained, I would have laughed the suggestion off just as easily. The willingness of trolling “victims” to be hurt by words, he argued, makes them complicit, and trolling will end as soon as we all get over it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

GreatGreen posted:

I need this 9 string guitar so I can play metal using just the two lowest strings, 5th fret and below only.

that thing is butt ugly but i guarantee no metal or anything approaching "rock" is being made with it

5er
Jun 1, 2000

White Dog Eggs posted:

WOOD IS MAGIC.

your posts weren't that bad. i seriously had the 'how it's made' music in my head while i was reading

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

5er posted:

your posts weren't that bad. i seriously had the 'how it's made' music in my head while i was reading

i was hoping Faustus would take over and post another novel about it. at least dog eggs realises he's spergin out and has some semblance of self-awareness

5er
Jun 1, 2000

StabMasterArson posted:

i was hoping Faustus would take over and post another novel about it. at least dog eggs realises he's spergin out and has some semblance of self-awareness

i'll go read romeo rose's twitter feed before i take that joke off ignore

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

too many pages went by without this

and by too many I mean 1

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

comes along bort posted:

that thing is butt ugly but i guarantee no metal or anything approaching "rock" is being made with it

tbh I'm not sure why. More and more metal bands are using 8-string guitars now and I'm wondering how long until someone goes even further. Rondo Music has 9 and 10 string guitars on their website.
Also yes a lot of these 8-string metal bands are poo poo but then you see someone like Tosin Abasi or Misha Mansoor and it's p. awesome to watch and listen to

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

iostream.h posted:

Absolutely right, that's why I've started using an 11 Rack for 99% of my gigging. It lets met get really close to most of the sounds I need (in a cover band there's a lot of different tones) and the only people who can tell I'm using modeling are other musicians who just stand there with their arms crossed being snotty anyway, gently caress 'em, it takes me 10 minutes to set up and break down.

For gigs where we can really turn it up and have some fun sure, I'll break out the half stack and all but mostly, 11 Rack into the PA, that's it.

How does something like the eleven rack compare to AxeFX/other ridiculously expensive modeling racks?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Also yes a lot of these 8-string metal bands are poo poo but then you see someone like Tosin Abasi or Misha Mansoor and it's p. awesome to watch and listen to

i dunno to me all that djent stuff is pretty much dr faustus' tuneless wanking, except they're a bit better technically and their influences go past 1988 all the way up to the first couple meshuggah albums

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

White Dog Eggs posted:

WOOD IS MAGIC.
It's amusing that people believe they can hear the tone wood through the pickups when nobody can even do that with acoustic instruments. Hell, professional violinists can't tell the difference between a stradivarius and a brand new violin.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
its just consumerism

guitarists like anyone else just jizz their pants when their favorite toy is made of petrified unicorn dick or has an angel tears finish or some extinct tree or whatever the gently caress

they cant actually hear the difference they just fall for the rare = expensive = good trap all prestige seekers fall for

double blind whatever nobody gives a poo poo they just want to own things that are better than your things

New Monix
Oct 4, 2009

Dolphin posted:

It's amusing that people believe they can hear the tone wood through the pickups when nobody can even do that with acoustic instruments. Hell, professional violinists can't tell the difference between a stradivarius and a brand new violin.

you are so loving wrong about violinists. that experiment was total bullshit. old, rare instruments are extremely temperamental and can be extra difficult to play if the temperature/ humidity/ day of the week/ planetary alignment/ stock market is not just right. new instruments, especially those made by very good modern luthiers (as used in the study) are an absolute delight to pick up and play. however, these old instruments are really magical (remember, "wood is magic") when it comes to complexity and depth of tone - it just takes a lot more work and a lot more talented of a musician to evoke all those tone colors.

guitars are toys though and it really doesn't matter

(stradivari made real guitars)

New Monix fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 2, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Cool Blue Reason posted:

How does something like the eleven rack compare to AxeFX/other ridiculously expensive modeling racks?
It's not in the same league, but it's pretty drat close and for the money it's an exceptional value. The more expensive ones mainly are just more flexible, have more effects and emulate tube response better. For cover band gigs I didn't see much of a reason to justify the extra expense, although I still want one.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Dolphin posted:

that's nothing, this guitar has 47 strings

my university orchestra sometimes plays pieces that call for a harp. so we usually hire this girl to come in and do that.

first time she came everyone was like "wow what a hottie :eyepop: " and a bunch of awkward squiddy orchestra dudes tried hitting on her for awhile

then i noticed the angry man giving people the deathglare from off stage - her father, as she was a highschool student, and those dudes figured that out real quick

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
should I get some really expensive Monster cables to really let the tone and warmth of my guitar(wood) to come through?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

KiddieGrinder posted:

should I get some really expensive Monster cables to really let the tone and warmth of my guitar(wood) to come through?
Only if you're one of the poors.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I was going to ironically post a really good-looking guitar, so I GISed for "beautiful guitar," but it turns out that guitarists have awful tastes and everything on the first page of results is butt-ugly

Bolek
May 1, 2003

quote:

he most advanced level of guitar cable is the Alessandro Instrument Pro, a double- balanced cable that has high-grade functionally-perfect silver conductors. Silver is the final word in conductor material, being the most musical metal known. These cables use Teflon insulation over a solid silver core. The solid center prevents strand-interaction, the greatest single source of cable distortion. Solid silver allows for the flattest, most dynamic frequency response currently available. Hard-cell foam insulation reduces dielectric involvement (distortion caused by the insulation material.)

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

holy poo poo

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I wonder what the most musical polymer is

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Fax Sr posted:

holy poo poo

like I said, first page for "beautiful guitars"

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Fax Sr posted:

holy poo poo

I bet the person who owns that guitar is the most interesting person in the entire world :allears:

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

ashgromnies posted:

Look at this fag only in it for the money. Sell out.

I prefer the term "Whore".

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Petr posted:

like I said, first page for "beautiful guitars"

What page is "guitars that look like kitchen chairs"

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

drunk asian neighbor posted:

What page is "guitars that look like kitchen chairs"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlcjMcLX1rk

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

welp

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
I'm kinda worried about the other guys in the band.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ebay Listing posted:

“Real Custom Epiphone, with poplar body. Melten lava tiger.”
Type:
Electric Guitar
Right-/ Left-Handed:
Right-Handed
Size:
4/4
No. of Strings:
6 string
Brand:
Epiphone
Home built custom Poplar paint axe Epiphone guitar. Very strong, sturdy, lightweight, authentic expensive Epiphone pickups and neck. Jack slot to the right of the bridge. Volume and tone control knobs with 3 way selector switch. 1 minor blemish on back of neck. Only one in the world.

Price:
£500.00
Postage:
£25.00 Economy Delivery

lol.

It's totally a snake guys

Buy it now price; £999

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 3, 2014

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Petr posted:

I wonder what the most musical polymer is

silver is a really good conductor it's just that if it gets oxidized then it's garbage. to call it the most musical metal is loving retarded though

Sperging over guitar cables is loving stupid too. I have some monster cables only because guitar center has a no quesitons asked replacement policy though in 7 years of owning them i've only had to replace them once. if I didn't have these already i would totally buy from a different brand just out of spite though since i hear planet waves also does that too

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
buy the cheapest ones as long as they dont fall to bits by looking at them

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
SCARIEST GUITAR EVER

$2000.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fax Sr posted:

buy the cheapest ones as long as they dont fall to bits by looking at them

Best way is to go to an electronics shop, get some nice well insulated wire/jack plugs and make it yourself, costs about half what you'd pay for something pre-made(assuming that you are sad enough to have wire strippers and a soldering iron to hand) plus you get to spill hot tin all over your loving fingers.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 3, 2014

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Spanish Manlove posted:

Sperging over guitar cables is loving stupid too.

Other than the 2K price tag my favorite thing on the Alessandro page is

quote:

For best performance, use these cables with the arrows pointing the same direction as the signal flow (Instrument --> pedal effects --> amplifier.)

It's nice of them to align the cable's atomic structure for optimal signal flow like that. Too bad they don't have a filter for dirty electricity.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KiddieGrinder posted:

No, but guitars are one of the only audio hardware applications where good cables actually do matter because guitar cables are unbalanced and subject to a lot of EM interference.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Dolphin posted:

No, but guitars are one of the only audio hardware applications where good cables actually do matter because guitar cables are unbalanced and subject to a lot of EM interference.
Meh to a degree, but for the most part 'good' cables means 'don't buy the $1.99 ones next to the register at Guitar Center'.

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

White Dog Eggs posted:

Best way is to go to an electronics shop, get some nice well insulated wire/jack plugs and make it yourself, costs about half what you'd pay for something pre-made(assuming that you are sad enough to have wire strippers and a soldering iron to hand) plus you get to spill hot tin all over your loving fingers.

i end up burning off my fingerprints more often than getting hot solder on me

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
does it have braided shieldoing inside?
does it have a molded tip or epoxy covering the solder joint?

if so, then buy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Spanish Manlove posted:

does it have braided shieldoing inside?
does it have a molded tip or epoxy covering the solder joint?

if so, then buy it

• Locked thread