Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Question IRL posted:

Then The Dark Knight Rises opens, Batman has immediately retired after the events of the last film. He's been gone for years and the net result is....

By and large, Gotham has been cleaned up. No supervillains emerged, despite what the Joker predicted the crazies did not start popping out of the wood work. Or if they did, Gordon was capable of handling it without Batman.

And all throughout the film that is the main message. Gotham doesn't need a Batman at all. Yeah that might be a nice arc for Bruce Wayne as it means he can retire, but there is this undercurrent that if we just get rid of this pesky superhero, everything will be fine. He'll stop being a magnet for whackos.

You're missing a lot of points about Rises. Namely, that this peace is just a false calm before a storm, and was bought by Batman's war on crime and by sketchy legislation that stripped criminal suspects of their rights. Bane breaking the dam is almost comeuppance for the city's arrogance. And in the end, Batman does need to return, and even when Bruce retires because he's earned it and being Batman has cost him too much, we see there will always be a Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

A lot of Rises stuff gets lost from it being a very bad film.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lurdiak posted:

You're missing a lot of points about Rises. Namely, that this peace is just a false calm before a storm, and was bought by Batman's war on crime and by sketchy legislation that stripped criminal suspects of their rights. Bane breaking the dam is almost comeuppance for the city's arrogance. And in the end, Batman does need to return, and even when Bruce retires because he's earned it and being Batman has cost him too much, we see there will always be a Batman.

But the problem with that is, for all Bane's rhetoric about the downtrodden rising up and reclaiming what should be theirs, that's just an act. The real reason why Bane targets Gotham is because Talia and Bane (and in fact, it's mostly Talia) want revenge against Bruce Wayne.
Often in comics you get a strawman villain who is supposed to represent the Government/ the Man (like Henry Gyrich or Maxwell Landis) and their agenda is always "If we got rid of superheros, then the badguys would go away!"
Now they are patently wrong since it misses the point that even if superheroes aren't around, then that just means Galactus will have an easy time eating the Earth and laughing at their anti-superhuman laws.

The problem is if you frame the story are "yet another alien menace comes to Earth, solely because they want to punch in Superman's face" then you do start building a case that Superman is a menace who should leave the planet. And for me, that ended up being the moral to the Dark Knight Rises. Gotham has to become a better place because of Batman, not in spite of him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

But they only wanted revenge because Bruce's family stopped the league of shadows from destroying Gotham twice...

Waterhaul posted:

A lot of Rises stuff gets lost from it being a very bad film.

Haha, ok.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

Often in comics you get a strawman villain who is supposed to represent the Government/ the Man (like Henry Gyrich or Maxwell Landis)

I assume you meant Maxwell Lord, but this cracked me up.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I assume you meant Maxwell Lord, but this cracked me up.

Yes, I did.
But in hindisight it works for Landis too. He after all spends a lot of time saying "Spider-Man is a huge dick, and he basically deserves all the villains coming after him." And he also wrote that fan fiction where the ending was essentially "a shadowy conglomerates of big business actually created superheroes and supervillains as part of a long term plot to have guys kill Galactus, so they could steal his stuff."
So he's also a big fan of the "we should totally get rid of superheroes, man!" theory.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Kelp Plankton posted:

Don't underestimate the power of Vin Diesel's voice acting. Even with simple stuff like saying "I am Groot!" over and over in different ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1-vzNh2d14

Yes. Anyone who thinks Diesel can't do a lot with a little as far as voice acting goes hasn't seen Iron Giant.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Opopanax posted:

Yes. Anyone who thinks Diesel can't do a lot with a little as far as voice acting goes hasn't seen Iron Giant.

In fact, it's probably his finest role. He'll do fine as Groot.

Knight Boat
Mar 26, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

The problem is if you frame the story are "yet another alien menace comes to Earth, solely because they want to punch in Superman's face" then you do start building a case that Superman is a menace who should leave the planet. And for me, that ended up being the moral to the Dark Knight Rises. Gotham has to become a better place because of Batman, not in spite of him.

But it did become a better place because of Batman. Before Batman, Gotham was a corrupt cesspool that barely managed to function. And it was about to be destroyed by fear-crazed maniacs on top of that. At the end of the trilogy, Gotham is recovering. Free of the mafia, the freaks, and the lies. It is ready to stand on its own. And that’s a good thing. Batman was a desperate measure for a desperate time, and a new Batman will be ready to catch them if they fall. But a society that DEPENDS on a vigilante to function is a fundamentally broken society. And that is one thing that is so depressing about comic book Batman. He’ll never really be allowed to win. Gotham is still rotten to its core and even without the freaks it would barely be standing without him.

The "schizophrenic" message comes from Nolan’s insistence that one of the points of the trilogy is that sometimes “things have to get worse before they get better”. The rise of the freaks is an unfortunate consequence, but you know it’s not a new idea. I’ve never seen a Joker origin story that didn’t at least indirectly implicate Batman in some way. As for the remains of the League of Shadows, they wanted Gotham destroyed because…Batman stopped them from destroying it last time. Shame on you, Batman. If only you’ve stayed out of it.

Nolan’s point on superheroes is that they exist, for us living in the real world, to be symbols that inspire people to do good and give people hope. That doesn’t mean putting on hockey pads and running around like Phoenix Jones to fulfill a power fantasy. That means standing up for what is right. That’s why from the beginning, Bruce’s goal was to become a symbol. That’s why he fell from grace in TDK by becoming a monster in the eyes of the people, and that’s why TDKR ended with his name cleared and a statue in the courthouse.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Knight Boat posted:

The "schizophrenic" message comes from Nolan’s insistence that one of the points of the trilogy is that sometimes “things have to get worse before they get better”.

They repeat that message a bunch in Batman Begins, its what Thomas Wayne told Bruce when he pulled him out of the well "Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up."

And at the end of Rises it isn't Batman who frees the city from Bane's men, its the police fighting back. Batman just stops the bomb.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Please let Mel Gibson play Baron Strucker

http://mobile.news.com.au/entertain...8-1226793751251

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Dacap posted:

Please let Mel Gibson play Baron Strucker

http://mobile.news.com.au/entertain...8-1226793751251

That's actually not a bad casting idea.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What's my motivation in this scene?

You hate minorities and the Jews.

Sure, but what's my motivation in this scene?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

greatn posted:

What's my motivation in this scene?

You hate minorities and the Jews.

Sure, but what's my motivation in this scene?

Mel could bring his own wardrobe. It would be either his own or he could borrow some from his dad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
So is Karen Gillian playing Moondragon in GoG? After reading Infinity War, the only place I've seen Moondragon, I'm wondering how close they will get to her costume, if you can call it that.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
I'm trying to think who Jodie Foster could play. Honestly all I can think is she'd make a pretty nice Death? Pretty much all the other women in the Marvel U are under 30, the only other 2 I can think of are Madame Webb and Aunt May and they're not possible. Frigga too, but that not possible either seeing as we already have one and she's already dead.

twistedmentat posted:

So is Karen Gillian playing Moondragon in GoG? After reading Infinity War, the only place I've seen Moondragon, I'm wondering how close they will get to her costume, if you can call it that.

She's playing Nebula.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Fishylungs posted:

She's playing Nebula.

Ah, okay. Two bald women connecting to GoG had me confused.

I wonder if Cap 2 will have a GoG or a Avengers 2 post credits sequence.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is Guardians out next year or '15?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Is Guardians out next year or '15?

It is this year.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

we should be getting a trailer pretty damnsoon, then

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

PupsOfWar posted:

we should be getting a trailer pretty damnsoon, then

It comes out in August so I'd guess teaser at the Super Bowl and full trailer with Cap 2 in April

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

It is this year.

Whoops, I should know better about the year stuff since I just spent quite a bit today updating spreadsheets at work to reflect the new year.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Dacap posted:

It comes out in August so I'd guess teaser at the Super Bowl and full trailer with Cap 2 in April
God drat that is too long :argh:

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Ninja Turtles comes out around the same time too, doesn't it? Surprised we haven't seen anything from that yet. I wonder if we'll see a first look at the Turtles soon.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dacap posted:

Ninja Turtles comes out around the same time too, doesn't it? Surprised we haven't seen anything from that yet. I wonder if we'll see a first look at the Turtles soon.

Whats the point as Shredder died?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

achillesforever6 posted:

God drat that is too long :argh:

I knoooooooow! I really want to hear Bradly Coopers voice for Rocket.

Dacap posted:

I cannot see it being anything but terrible.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I'm still morbidly curious.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dacap posted:

Oh gently caress I forgot this was coming out.

twistedmentat posted:

I cannot see it being anything but terrible.

Movie's going to own.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There is also a set pic of one of the actors in a digital replacement Turtle outfit that's kind of goofy looking.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Movie's going to own.

I don't understand why everyone posts that as evidence that the movie will be great. It's just something from the original movie and cartoon put in there for fanservice. The Transformers movies had that telltale transforming noise and a robot that turned into a boombox, but they were still the biggest piles of poo poo ever.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
It's probably just a joke because of how wonderfully absurd it is.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Michael Bay was exactly what Transformers deserved.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

And Ninja Turtles. It was a fun comic in its original initial satirical run, but anything beyond that is well open to parody.

However, the ultimate Ninja Turtles movie has been made, and it's called Ninja Turtles II: Secret of the Ooze. I will defend it to the death, and if anyone challenges me I'll happily force this thread into a 20 page derail.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Dan Didio posted:

To be honest, I'm being really unfair to Michael Bay here.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Listen, anyone who is arguing that Bay tarnished some high art is being silly, but there really was never a reason why Transformers had to be racist.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What do you mean racist? That.'s just how that robot talks, you guys.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I used to hate Bay's films but after watching Pain and Gain, I'm 100% convinced that he may be the greatest troll in the history of cinema.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Whats the point as Shredder died?

No, just his knees. Not that it matters, since the Turtles haven't paid their dues so he won't put them over., even though he's just in it for the money.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

feedmyleg posted:

And Ninja Turtles. It was a fun comic in its original initial satirical run, but anything beyond that is well open to parody.

However, the ultimate Ninja Turtles movie has been made, and it's called Ninja Turtles II: Secret of the Ooze. I will defend it to the death, and if anyone challenges me I'll happily force this thread into a 20 page derail.

First one was better bitch, whatcha gon do 'bout it?

The 2012 CGI animated series is pretty good for a kids show, the IDW comics are great (I mean none of the turtles have been taken over by the spirit of one of their enemies yet and Casey Jones hasn't died pointlessly so I guess they can't compare with Marvel and DC) and I bet this movie... will be terrible. But still, it could have Bebop and Rocksteady in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

No, just his knees. Not that it matters, since the Turtles haven't paid their dues so he won't put them over., even though he's just in it for the money.

Shredder did die

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...ca3b_story.html

• Locked thread