Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iostream.h posted:

Meh to a degree, but for the most part 'good' cables means 'don't buy the $1.99 ones next to the register at Guitar Center'.
Really depends on the length of cable. Also interference adds up and a leaky guitar + amp + lovely 50 ft cable + dirty AC will noticeably sound like poo poo to the audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dolphin posted:

Really depends on the length of cable. Also interference adds up and a leaky guitar + amp + lovely 50 ft cable + dirty AC will noticeably sound like poo poo to the audience.

yeah but sometimess people want noise

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Dolphin posted:

your move cable plebs

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iostream.h posted:

your move cable plebs
That's really expensive dude

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Dolphin posted:

That's really expensive dude
it's the only way to accomplish what must be done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuKWlGYQX0U

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

and how dare you put a price on tone

Bolek
May 1, 2003

iostream.h posted:

it's the only way to accomplish what must be done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuKWlGYQX0U

Bolek fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 3, 2014

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

iostream.h posted:

your move cable plebs

i like how it actually says 'cable tone' on it

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

brickswereshat posted:

I just listened to Quantum Whatever and honestly, it wasn't THAT bad for it's genre. I've played with a LOT of spergy guitarists over the years, and while he DOES appear to be largely insufferable (I've never worked/played with/met him in person), as a guitarist he's... OK.

What I actually thought was genuinely interesting was the "Early Rush"/"Tony Levin" feel of his bass playing. Very clean and bright with a measured staccatto like Levin with all the chord arpeggio breakdowns of early Rush. Dr. Faustus, your soloing seems choppy and broken, where it almost seems like you're taking breaths in the solos. Those breaks feel unnatural and really jarring in the context of the fluidity of the rest of the song. This isn't "FLAME ON" or anything like that, but simple honest opinion. I honestly think that in the right band, you could be an excellent bassist (again following the Quantum Eh genre), but your guitar work needs to find a little more of an organic, fluid feel.

This post is 100% non-sarcastic, for the record.

Appreciated. No one is ever 100% happy about their output and we were under serious time constraints when we were recording that. I feel most sorry for the drummer as he had just replaced the guy who helped us write that and had to lay down a full take without glaring mistakes. That's a lot of pressure. At least we could kinda punch in if we poo poo the bed too bad. This was just recorded to 1/2-inch 8-track reel-to-reel.
When you team up with a bassist who has the entire Geddy Lee setup and a drummer who worships Rush, it's hard to avoid sounding like Rush. The only stuff we wrote that really deviated from that prog formula was the stuff I brought myself.

Thanks for the feedback. I've been working on my soloing, looking for more interesting notes. But working two jobs stocking shelves really cuts into the wood-shedding time!

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
i think the problem is you need another guitar indistinguishable from those you already own

that will fix ur solos

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikHI7_PMFNc

Even this blind gently caress plays better than you.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Rob Ford posted:

Should have posted something with balls!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VErXDjMqUak

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

man thats gross posted:

i think the problem is you need another guitar indistinguishable from those you already own

that will fix ur solos
I didn't have most of those guitars 21 years ago when we wrote that tune.

Look, I'm sorry I lost my poo poo last night. From my perspective, this thread began as a personal attack on me by a couple people with a grudge from another thread; and snowballed from there because I want to defend my choices.

There's no need for me to lash out like I do, it's not changing hearts or minds and it's not helping my case.

I do stand behind my info-dump posts, though; as I think they are pretty accurate and good for laymen and beginners alike.

There is so much more to a quality instrument than the shape of the body, the shape of the headstock, or the pickup configuration. I own several RG/JEM style guitars but I promise you they all sound very different and respond in their own unique ways to your playing.

And of course I bought those specific examples because I really liked the way they looked. I started buying solid-body electrics in 1987. A lot has changed in taste since then, and traditional instruments like the Fender Stratocaster, or Telecaster, or the Gibson Les Paul or SG, those guitars have become crazy expensive while the features are pretty much the same as they were in 1960. When Ibanez came along with better access to the necks, two octave necks, the five-way pickup wiring, trem routs, flat fingerboards with big frets, tilt-back headstocks; and massive floating bridges, it was a big deal. I still prefer those improvements over the traditional configurations. So like any dude who owns a ton of Strats (who also will tell you they are each unique), my choice is the Ibanez RG configuration, which was based off the Vai JEM. And yes, I really do think they are gorgeous.

Please accept my apology for letting my temper take over, that was wrong and I'm sorry I allowed it to happen. I am sorry.

I'll try to make up for it by finding some really hideous guitars and posting them here (I can hear it now, "Just look at your collection, Faustus!!) and I'll move forward from here.

To the poster who posted Jeff Healey, I only play DR JH-10 strings, which are his signature set of DR-brand strings. I love Jeff Healey, and of course he plays better than I do. He plays better than 98% of the SRV clones out there and he has an awesome voice, too.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

I didn't have most of those guitars 21 years ago when we wrote that tune.

a sentence that hints that you just dont get it followed by a short story proving it

fine whatever good for you for realizing what a reatard baby yiu were being but jesus christ how many times do we have to explicitly tell you we really dont give a poo poo about your loving guitars before it finally sinks in

of course now youre already thinking "well if you dont care then why are you responding to me"

truth is im not trying to prove a point or change your mind or present an opinion im just loving with you

everyone is, and we've told you as much, and you still think this is an actual conversation

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

man thats gross posted:

truth is im not trying to prove a point or change your mind or present an opinion im just loving with you

Well I may be in the minority but like I said, I was here in 2000 when people hosed with each other it was stupid funny shitposts along the lines of y0u=fag0t or whatever. It got out of hand and that kind of shitposting was moved to an asylum and GBS was not the wasteland it is now. O, sure, it was full of try-hards and SJWs-lite, but it was way better than this.

The whole Raison d'être of the new gibbis is just what you said, "im just loving with you" and we already had plenty of places for that.

But that's just my old fart's opinion. I still laugh like a kid at "that poo poo sucks you fagot" but it used to have a hint of irony to it. Something has been lost, and I think it's for the worst.

But thanks for being honest.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
I'm posting from the toilet. I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you & this thread while turds are coming out of me

Now someone post a picture of another guitar that looks like poop

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

killhamster posted:

I'm posting from the toilet. I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you & this thread while turds are coming out of me

In before Seafoam Green JEM?

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
butt poop not steve vai poop

Dec 26, 2012

killhamster posted:

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Dr. Faustus posted:

From my perspective, this thread began as a personal attack on me

What part of this do you imagine is a personal attack on you?

Ularg posted:

God this took forever and a half to find.

Specifically, handle guitar and

e: should somebody notify Steve Vai that he's being personally attacked by people's opinions about how his guitars look?

Flyball fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 3, 2014

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Rob Ford posted:

why is the blind person's song called see the light, that's hosed up

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

skander posted:

What part of this do you imagine is a personal attack on you?

e: should somebody notify Steve Vai that he's being personally attacked by people's opinions about how his guitars look?

That is a good question, but you should first go back to page one and include this:

and the five quotes of that post on page one, and the other quotes on page two.

I shared those pics in another gassed thread and the ridicule (deserved or not, although of course I say not) started there, and as soon as I saw "only ugly guitars itt" I felt a sinking feeling that my pics from the other thread would be not only featured heavily in this thread, but it would be CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK who would start it and someone like Ularg to follow up with my gear collection pic:

Ularg posted:

God this took forever and a half to find.

Specifically, handle guitar and

...all in the first two pages.

So I looked at the thread and I figured I had called it correctly.

I hope that answers your question.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Ootrek posted:

oh no sir, the whole ALBUM was called see the light.

Dude taught himself to play the guitar on his lap like a drat piano, that's pretty awesome tho

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Ootrek posted:

Music is about dreamin, man... And cramming as many notes into a measure as possible ala keys to the lamborghini.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

iostream.h posted:

oh no sir, the whole ALBUM was called see the light.

Dude taught himself to play the guitar on his lap like a drat piano, that's pretty awesome tho

Not only does he play blues without sounding like an SRV clone (looking at you, Kenny Wayne Sheppard), but he does it on his lap while singing like a blues hound. He's an inspiration.

I Might Be Adam posted:

Music is about dreamin, man... And cramming as many notes into a measure as possible ala keys to the lamborghini.

That's just a terrible thing to say about Jeff Healey.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Dr. Faustus posted:

That's just a terrible thing to say about Jeff Healey.

Who cares, he's not gonna read this post. Even if he wanted to

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

Dr. Faustus posted:

Not only does he play blues without sounding like an SRV clone (looking at you, Kenny Wayne Sheppard), but he does it on his lap while singing like a blues hound. He's an inspiration.

Hey Guitar Hero, do you seriously not know that Healey has been dead for years?

:lol:

Stevie told me, gotta be true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjY_Th9SPFk

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

ohhhh yeah that's the stuff

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Rob Ford posted:

Hey Guitar Hero, do you seriously not know that Healey has been dead for years?

:lol:

Stevie told me, gotta be true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjY_Th9SPFk

Yeah I knew he was gone. I just feel like it's more proof that life is unfair that Jeff Healey and SRV can be dead but people still listen to Kenney Wayne Sheppard. That kid from Bloodlines was pretty good, too. But the blues revival kinda puttered out with the death of SRV. I've been meaning to check out Andy Timmons.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

For me, Jeff Healy will forever be the guy in Roadhouse that constantly has bottles thrown at him while he introduces his man crush bff. "The name is Dalton" :smug:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I Might Be Adam posted:

For me, Jeff Healy will forever be the guy in Roadhouse that constantly has bottles thrown at him while he introduces his man crush bff. "The name is Dalton" :smug:

Just like for me, Steve Vai will forever be the shredding douche who cut heads with Ralph Maccio in Crossroads.

"Who wanna get they head cut?"

Except Vai played the winning solo at the end in post-production and that's pretty cool.
When I bought my JEM77FP the guys at AL&M in Raleigh started calling me "Jack Butler" and they sent me all their Ibanez endorsee posters to my parents' house when they finally took them down.

:smug:

P.S. - I left them in a place where they got rained on and had to throw them out. :doh:

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW
What does your wife think of your collection?

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Dr. Faustus posted:

I shared those pics in another gassed thread and the ridicule (deserved or not, although of course I say not) started there, and as soon as I saw "only ugly guitars itt" I felt a sinking feeling that my pics from the other thread would be not only featured heavily in this thread, but it would be CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK who would start it and someone like Ularg to follow up with my gear collection pic:

So people on the internet are making fun of your purchasing decisions. So what? You don't have to keep coming back to stir up the poo poo. Your hideous guitars would have been completely forgotten pretty early on if you had just shut up. Look at how many other guitars have been posted.

And what is with the handle, anyway? Is that a functional thing or is it actually a stylistic choice. I really want to know.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

an ugly guitar in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SImWhHkGYQg

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Rob Ford posted:

A WIFE?!? Who needs that when you have tons of wet Steve Vai posters and guitars with contoured handles to stick your dick in. Each kind of wood and presents a different sad and lonely orgasm.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
dr. streisand effect is back yay

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Mineaiki posted:

So people on the internet are making fun of your purchasing decisions. So what? You don't have to keep coming back to stir up the poo poo. Your hideous guitars would have been completely forgotten pretty early on if you had just shut up. Look at how many other guitars have been posted.

And what is with the handle, anyway? Is that a functional thing or is it actually a stylistic choice. I really want to know.

Again, good questions.

I think the most honest answer is that I saw it coming and I don't like being ridiculed. Maybe some people get off on that, but the first two pages of this thread looked like an agenda to me.
The handle is a gimmick, back from a time when rock bands went nuts on stage and tricks were cool. Then times changed and the heavy music, what was left of it, was people standing stock still and not really trying, in terms of putting on a show.

Rob Ford posted:

My girlfriend really enjoys it when I play and sing to her. My dog doesn't give a poo poo, nor does her dog. But I think my ability to serenade her made her like me more.

Dewgy posted:

Post some ugly guitars that haven't been posted already.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Just like for me, Steve Vai will forever be the shredding douche who cut heads with Ralph Maccio in Crossroads.

Except Vai played the winning solo at the end in post-production and that's pretty cool.
When I bought my JEM77FP the guys at AL&M in Raleigh started calling me "Jack Butler" and they sent me all their Ibanez endorsee posters to my parents' house when they finally took them down.

:smug:

P.S. - I left them in a place where they got rained on and had to throw them out. :doh:

Crossroads and a movie called Trick or Treat really pushed my interest in being a player

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

I was 11 when that movie came out, spend weeks learning that entire bit and (useless personal trivia) used the classical bit as part of my audition into the Alabama School of Fine Arts for classical guitar, along with a couple of more embarrassing 'pieces'.

Made it in, so I guess it was ok.

edit: ^^^^ Trick R Treat haha Gene Simmons! Fuuuu I remember that, such an awful flick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

Dewgy posted:

I get it, but I still don't understand what the basic premise of this thread has to do with this guy. Who the gently caress is he, and why is this thread apparently against him?

• Locked thread