Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I think, think, that Drexith may not have been posting entirely in good faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Hi guys, it is your moderator here. Please stop posting about posting, or speculating on why someone is posting, or posting about posting about their posting.

Splicer posted:

I think, think, that Drexith may not have been posting entirely in good faith.

I think some of you should back the gently caress off on jumping people's poo poo and report people who you believe aren't posting in good faith.

Drexith posted:

Four in a row? I'm afraid your meaning escapes me.

Be less dumb. Please. You do not appear to be a re-reg or whatever, and it is fine to like things that you like, but holy poo poo you are coming off as kind of a dolt. So chill and hang out and post about games.

As far as the rest of you go, I should probably hit a bunch of you for being dorks but I am a kinder gentler Winson and everyone above this post gets a pass. Everything below this post that is a post about how terrible the new guy is or whatever will get whammied.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Man alive, I made us some turkey sausage sandwiches for dinner and here's the secret: Habanero salsa in the spaghetti sauce. We ran out of peppers, but this made up for it as much as anything can.

I actually thought back to this thread as I made it, since this is where I learned how to use a cast-iron skillet without burning the hell out of everything.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

I do lots of random meats + random beans + tomato something + spices + chocolate + coffee and if it's not chili I don't know what to call it, but it is super delicious and filling.

Halloween Jack posted:

Yes, in 3.5e you could create a Drexith 4/Heartblade 3 and whatnot, but good luck killing an Inky with CR equal to your level, with or without a guild charter. In 4e, on the other hand, you can actually roll a character that plays like a Drexith who is also a Heartblade.

My fiancee insists that chili doesn't have beans in it. Her chili is pretty good, until my tongue goes numb from whatever chiles she's using.

Jonked posted:

We have a new turkey chili at work. It's good... but it's not chili.

beans = more chili for less $$$, making chili with beans Good Bachelor Food

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mystic Mongol posted:

I do lots of random meats + random beans + tomato something + spices + chocolate + coffee and if it's not chili I don't know what to call it, but it is super delicious and filling.

Call it Awesome Chili because if you're getting tomatoes and beans involved it's pretty much chili. In fact about the only unusual thing I see there is coffee.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Call it Awesome Chili because if you're getting tomatoes and beans involved it's pretty much chili. In fact about the only unusual thing I see there is coffee.

Yeah, that intrigues me. Chocolate isn't too unusual for a chili but I've never tried it with coffee.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Sling half a cup of lovely coffee into your next pot of chili, it makes it much better.

Decaf's fine.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

To be fair, chocolate isn't something most people identify with chili. That said, this is an awesome recipe, I'm gonna try this sometime.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Mystic Mongol's Mystery Chili for Lazy or Busy People

1-2 pounds of meat
1-2 jars of tomato sauce for a thicker chili, or salsa for a tangy chili
1/2 cup of coffee, stolen from your roommate because you don't drink coffee, coffee is horrible
Most of a bar of chocolate, minus what you ate during prep
1-2 cans of beans. Kidney beans or garbanzo beans are great
Spices that complement your selection of meat and tomato product
1 spoonful of cinnamon

1 Italian loaf of bread.

Cook the meat, break/slice it into chunks. In some order.
Crumble up the chocolate.
Drain the cans of beans
Throw the meat, tomato product, coffee, chocolate, beans, spices, and cinnamon into the pot. The coffee makes it taste better, the cinnamon makes it smell not like coffee.
Heat over a low flame until it's warm. You want the chocolate to have melted but the chili not to have burnt at the bottom. Stir occasionally if you can be bothered--if not, use a crockpot or something.

Serve w/ bread.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Don't say that in Texas, where people get mad about beans in Chili.

Really, though, it takes meat to be Chili and traditional Chili's don't have beans at all, but that's a pedantic nerd bullshit statement.

Also, for the best Chili, you want to use 3 different types of meat - ground meat added to the chili while cooking for protein and fullness, a sausage for texture (and flavor if you're doing a flavored chili) also added while the chili is cooking, and shredded meat pre-cooked your flavoring of choice. It tends to make for a thicker and fuller flavored chili than just tossing ground meat into your pot.

You can also mix some bread crumbs in with the ground meat to give a better texture as well, or try crushing Ritz crackers or Saltines into it as well. This is especially useful if you plan on eating it off bread, chips, or cracker's as it won't be as soggy that way.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
The best bit of advice I ever learned on these fair forums is to add chipotles in adobo to chili. They're magical and will take your chili on a great metaphysical journey to the Flavour Plane.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Chili, much like Trad Games, is best shared with good friends and worst when people have Opinions about them.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

TheAnomaly posted:

Also, for the best Chili, you want to use 3 different types of meat - ground meat added to the chili while cooking for protein and fullness, a sausage for texture (and flavor if you're doing a flavored chili) also added while the chili is cooking, and shredded meat pre-cooked your flavoring of choice. It tends to make for a thicker and fuller flavored chili than just tossing ground meat into your pot.

You can also mix some bread crumbs in with the ground meat to give a better texture as well, or try crushing Ritz crackers or Saltines into it as well. This is especially useful if you plan on eating it off bread, chips, or cracker's as it won't be as soggy that way.

Oh, yeah. If you can find two meats to make your mystery chili out of it'll be better. And one of those meats can be bacon, which can't hold up a chili on its own.

Tossing in bread fills it out without sapping flavor, which is great for cheap goons, but I don't feel it adds much. Cheddar crackers are much better but it's easy to crush them too much or too little.

Down With People posted:

The best bit of advice I ever learned on these fair forums is to add chipotles in adobo to chili. They're magical and will take your chili on a great metaphysical journey to the Flavour Plane.

I don't think I've ever seen a chipotle. NE Coast Liberal Eliiiiiite!

Seriously what are they, like a fruit or something? How many do you toss into a pot of indeterminate size?

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

Mystic Mongol posted:

Oh, yeah. If you can find two meats to make your mystery chili out of it'll be better. And one of those meats can be bacon, which can't hold up a chili on its own.

Tossing in bread fills it out without sapping flavor, which is great for cheap goons, but I don't feel it adds much. Cheddar crackers are much better but it's easy to crush them too much or too little.

I don't think I've ever seen a chipotle. NE Coast Liberal Eliiiiiite!

Seriously what are they, like a fruit or something? How many do you toss into a pot of indeterminate size?

If you hunt around the mexican section of your local supergrocery, you'll probably find something like this:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
And then what? Upend the whole thing in there?

I'm a lightweight pansy who isn't big into super spicy food, for the record.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

Mystic Mongol posted:

I haven't found chipotle in adobo to be terribly spicy (and also for the record, the cans I've gotten are much smaller than that one. They're like small-tuna-can sized). So you'll probably have to take a taste and decide how much you can handle. But yeah, you'll want the sauce it has as well as the actual peppers themselves.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

TheAnomaly posted:

So does Red_Mage, which ought to tell you something about people who get mad about beans in Chili.

Mystic Mongol, "chipotle" is basically a smoke-dried pepper of some sort. The adobo that the canned variety comes in is basically like a kind of meat marinade. If you add them to something they work better in slow-cooked dishes (hey, like chili) because they can be rather tough to just eat straight up. You can also just blend them up in a food processor and add them to sauces and such.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Mystic Mongol posted:

The ones I get are quite hot; I would use them sparingly. They will be smoked peppers in sort of a gunky sauce, start with like, one pepper for your pot of chili and a teaspoon of the sauce and add more if that is not spicy enough. They are loving DELICIOUS.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Daetrin posted:

I haven't found chipotle in adobo to be terribly spicy (and also for the record, the cans I've gotten are much smaller than that one. They're like small-tuna-can sized). So you'll probably have to take a taste and decide how much you can handle. But yeah, you'll want the sauce it has as well as the actual peppers themselves.

That is the brand I usually get, and they are hot as gently caress. I may be a wimp tho.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

TheAnomaly posted:

Really, though, it takes meat to be Chili and traditional Chili's don't have beans at all, but that's a pedantic nerd bullshit statement.

There are plenty of Texans who don't mind chili with beans in it. Chili doesn't have to have beans in it, but it doesn't magically become not-chili if you toss some beans into the mixture.

Also I am totally trying that coffee thing next time I'm gonna make some chili.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

look, if peppers make you Winson Paine you should probably consider using the really mild canned stuff, or, i don't know, dicing up an Anaheim.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I AM THE MOON posted:

look, if peppers make you Winson Paine you should probably consider using the really mild canned stuff, or, i don't know, dicing up an Anaheim.
:golfclap:

I had venison chili once and it was amazing. Don't know if it was because of or in spite of the deer meat, though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I thought that I liked spicy food, but once I grew up and left home and was no longer that one weird kid that likes wasabi, I realized I don't like jalapenos or habanero jelly or other things which seem like they only exist for people who enjoy burning sensations in their mouths. I don't even like sriracha and I don't get why some people can't live without it.

Worst spicy food experience ever was when I put the bird's eye chiles in my pho. The thing is, you slurp pho. A little broth got into my eyes and it was all over.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

TheAnomaly posted:

Also, for the best Chili, you want to use 3 different types of meat

I've done chili with beef and bacon as well as with beef and sausage (jalapeno smokies, specifically) and both owned, hard.

I find a bit of celery is good for texture, too.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Nihilarian posted:

:golfclap:

I had venison chili once and it was amazing. Don't know if it was because of or in spite of the deer meat, though.

Deer meat makes everything better.

Also, let's put over/under bets on the Next necromancer coming out before the 13th age one. :colbert:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Halloween Jack posted:

I thought that I liked spicy food, but once I grew up and left home and was no longer that one weird kid that likes wasabi, I realized I don't like jalapenos or habanero jelly or other things which seem like they only exist for people who enjoy burning sensations in their mouths. I don't even like sriracha and I don't get why some people can't live without it.
Capsacin is like any other ingredient in that just the right amount enhances the taste of a dish, but a lot of people treat it like a test of manliness in that more is always better. Once you get over that stage of life making fun of someone for not liking how spicy something is is like making fun of someone for not wanting more salt in their soup. The only difference is that too much salt just makes your mouth feel all shrivelly as opposed to on fire.

Do you actively dislike the taste of the things you just listed or just have no fondness for them? How do you feel about their flavours outside of the spicyness? I like my spicy food quite spicy but I don't like wasabi or English mustard because of their weird petrol-y aftertastes.

People who put sriracha on everything do it for the same reasons some people put ketchup or mayo on everything (excluding those who do it because it's nerd chique).

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 3, 2014

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Daetrin posted:

If you hunt around the mexican section of your local supergrocery, you'll probably find something like this:

A fun thing to do with this stuff is to take maybe five or six of the peppers and mash them up into mayonnaise. After that you're sort of on your own, but I recommend sandwiches.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't even like sriracha and I don't get why some people can't live without it.

Because Sriracha isn't really that spicy when you stir a mild amount into a dish rather than putting a bunch on. It's mostly just a mildly spicy garlic dish, and it goes great on a lot of cheap foods like ramen and Mac n Cheese and hot dogs and maybe in a dip or something

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Splicer posted:

Capsacin is like any other ingredient in that just the right amount enhances the taste of a dish, but a lot of people treat it like a test of manliness in that more is always better. Once you get over that stage of life making fun of someone for not liking how spicy something is is like making fun of someone for not wanting more salt in their soup. The only difference is that too much salt just makes your mouth feel all shrivelly as opposed to on fire.

Do you actively dislike the taste of the things you just listed or just have no fondness for them? How do you feel about their flavours outside of the spicyness? I like my spicy food quite spicy but I don't like wasabi or English mustard because of their weird petrol-y aftertastes.

People who put sriracha on everything do it for the same reasons some people put ketchup or mayo on everything (excluding those who do it because it's nerd chique).

It is also a tolerance thing, some people just like more spice than others and you can certainly train yourself to dig spicier things than others. Some stuff (I am thinking a lot of Ethiopian and Indian stuff, ferinstance) needs to be hot to make it "go" but yeah, when you get into the ATOMIC SOUL DESTROYING HOT WING HANDLE WITH GLOVES catagory it is more an exercise in pain tolerance than actually enjoying anything.

Also siracha on lovely frozen pizza is just the best. If I get a bad cold it more or less becomes the only thing I can eat.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Death Bot posted:

Because Sriracha isn't really that spicy when you stir a mild amount into a dish rather than putting a bunch on. It's mostly just a mildly spicy garlic dish, and it goes great on a lot of cheap foods like ramen and Mac n Cheese and hot dogs and maybe in a dip or something

I'd have to agree, in general Sriracha doesn't taste "hot" to me. It almost sweetens foods I've eaten it on and unless its present in overbearing quantities is just a good, peppy garlic sauce.

For pizza I've always preferred Louisiana Hot Sauce. If you're planning to get into the Insanity Sauce and Ghost Chilies on the regular you've made a severe culinary mistake or your mouth is a goddamn steel trap.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I like garlic. This one time I cut up apples on a cutting board on which I'd peeled garlic and forgot to rinse it in between, and the apples tasted like garlic. Kate was disgusted, so I finished them myself.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Halloween Jack posted:

I like garlic. This one time I cut up apples on a cutting board on which I'd peeled garlic and forgot to rinse it in between, and the apples tasted like garlic. Kate was disgusted, so I finished them myself.

One time, as an experiment. I was making pork roast and doing that thing where you make a little stab and stuff a garlic clove in there, and I thought "Pork and Apples go well together" and so I cut up apple chunks into clove size bits and stuffed them into the roast.

The roast was loving delicious, but I don't actually know how much the apple contributed to things.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

In my years of experience with pork roasts, apples contribute a texture, but very little flavor. Brown sugar and apples allow a little bit more of the sweetness to flavor the roast, and you get that amazing bite with the texture of apples, the sweetness of brown sugar and the savoriness of delicious pork.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Yeah, I kinda wandered from my point, but the basic point is that Garlic + Apples might be odd, but adding pork into it brings it around...or something.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I guess it would also depend on what sort of apples you used as there are approximately eleventy hojillion varieties of apples for sale, some sweeter and some tarter, etc.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Because of all the holiday parties around here, there was a lot of leftover catered food sitting around. I managed to rescue 10 perfectly good apples that would otherwise have been thrown away. I have no idea what varieties they are, so I'm going to bake all of them together and take bets on which ones just melt into apple butter.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Splicer posted:

Capsacin is like any other ingredient in that just the right amount enhances the taste of a dish, but a lot of people treat it like a test of manliness in that more is always better.

Kind of like hops in beer.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Paolomania posted:

Kind of like hops in beer.

You shut your mouth about hops, mister.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I pride myself on being able to like (or at least appreciate) every food, but people dump hops into beer until it tastes like a loving air freshener.

The only other taste I really disliked was sauerkraut, but that's because growing up we ate it as a side dish. As a condiment or topping, it's really quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Saurkraut with Barley, Brown Sugar and Sausage is a perfect side dish. Even a meal unto itself.

• Locked thread