Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
I like the design of the new character and now I'm reminded of how much I'd like to see select HS panels re-done by Hussie in pen and pencil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

There are people angry about this announcement. There are people who genuinely thought there was so much as a possibility of multiplayer and character customization. And there are a lot of them. Nature is beautiful.

Also didn't Hussie say the game will have a brand new cast and no SBURB before the kickstarter even started because I've had that impression since that long and other people apparently didn't and are mad about that too.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I don't remember him mentioning SBURB but he definitely did say we wouldn't be seeing the same characters as the comic (or at least, not in any important roles).

I actually thought it was a joke that some people expected SBURB: the MMO, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Also didn't Hussie say the game will have a brand new cast and no SBURB before the kickstarter even started because I've had that impression since that long and other people apparently didn't and are mad about that too.
Some time before the Kickstarter, Hussie was looking for a game team, and the message volunteers got mentioned it would probably be along the lines of small games following a different set of kids through a session, probably done in Flash.

I'm guessing things evolved from that idea to a full blown adventure game.

If it's got kids and trolls but no Sburb, I'm hoping for the "adventure in the post-game universe" option. Descendents of the original cast could make decent characters. Maybe with at least one ectobiology-spawned troll/human hybrid.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I can not BELIEVE this. I was led to believe that this would be a procedurally generated first-person roguelike MMO, with complex quadrant mechanics. gently caress you, Hussie. You loving lied to us.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I think the ideal wasn't as lofty as a roguelike or mmo but just a jrpg where you could let a team of your favorite oc's play sburb
South Park and Penny Arcade have jrpgs these days, homestuck is named and patterned off a jrpg, everyone makes ocs because the into pages are basically mad libs.

For a first game? Even hussie had to start somewhere with comics and with flash animations, I'm sure he wasn't going to go through the balancing required for a jrpg

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

New insane tumblr thing: Trying to figure out whose ectobiological offspring the adventure game girl is by comparing her haircut to the present casts'. Because haircuts are genetic.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

They kind of are, in Homestuck.

Martini Mice-Cream
Feb 17, 2011
To be fair for some of the people who are disappointed about the lack of Sburb, they probably expected it to be like Jane's MystStuck adventure where an original character solve puzzles, learn about the lore of their land, and talk to funny animal people as well as their friends and carapace people. The MMO Sburb poo poo was wishful thinking(not to mention the wrong genre of what was stated time and time again in this Kickstarter), but what I described would have been possible to make within the budget.

Also, for many fans Sburb is to Homestuck as magic is to Harry Potter. Almost every thing about the story be it literal character creation, universe creation, carapace shenanigans, etc is tied to the game of Sburb which makes the bulk of what Homestuck is. So I understand why some people feel upset and misled that they donated to a Homestuck game project that lacks one of the very things that the comic revolves around.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Sburb itself is literally impossible to do justice to as a real video game.
It's structured in an open-ended sort of manner where you deploy equipment and build but all the things you can do are not possible to achieve in a video game medium unless everything is railroaded as hard as possible.
Predestination and time travel plays a huge role, as well as an Alchemy system in which every object can be combined with something else creating infinite combinations, and the kernelsprite works and enemy generation works in a similar manner. Railroading that kind of thing wouldn't feel homestuck but there's no other option. There's probably more that I can't remember.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fans are angry that Hussie isn't making their Kokoro Wish game.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Rita Repulsa posted:

Sburb itself is literally impossible to do justice to as a real video game.
It's structured in an open-ended sort of manner where you deploy equipment and build but all the things you can do are not possible to achieve in a video game medium unless everything is railroaded as hard as possible.
Predestination and time travel plays a huge role, as well as an Alchemy system in which every object can be combined with something else creating infinite combinations, and the kernelsprite works and enemy generation works in a similar manner. Railroading that kind of thing wouldn't feel homestuck but there's no other option. There's probably more that I can't remember.

I'm working on a sburb roguelike and even the inventory system is pretty hard to do, though still possible. Actually, the only thing that I think is literally impossible is the alchemy system since it somehow represents an infinite number of objects and combinations with a finite number of bit strings.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think the people wanting a realistic representation of Sburb misunderstood the whole joke about Sburb as a video game. (The joke is that it's convoluted and ridiculous and nobody can understand it)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think it's funny people want sburb when one of the original concepts that spawned homestuck was how awkward a multiplayer The Sims would be.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Thank god Hussie actually meant "adventure game" when he said it would be an adventure game. An MMO would be pretty boring if you asked me. Give me a game with a proper story with actual characters over that open-world crap any day. A love of adventure gaming is what attracted me to MSPA in the first place.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If it doesn't have Sburb in it but somehow has humans and trolls, it'd almost have to be set in the comic's universe after the ending of Homestuck if it's really supposed to be a "Homestuck Adventure Game". Hopefully not having Sburb will still leave the door open for some of its neat inhabitants like the carapace people.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It won't be homestuck if it doesn't have an instance of Jack Noir in it, basically I just want Jack Noir stabbing simulator 201X.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dolash posted:

If it doesn't have Sburb in it but somehow has humans and trolls, it'd almost have to be set in the comic's universe after the ending of Homestuck if it's really supposed to be a "Homestuck Adventure Game". Hopefully not having Sburb will still leave the door open for some of its neat inhabitants like the carapace people.

Well Roxy DID save a whole bunch and bring them to her world.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Prospit and Derse haven't yet been entirely destroyed in the new session, either, so that adds a bit to the population mix too. Then again, the ending could go so many different ways that little logistical wrinkles like that probably won't matter.

When it comes to endings for Homestuck, I've often thought of how the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy film ended - the Earth being recreated perfectly from the moment it was destroyed, with the exception of the hero. John "saving" the Earth somehow always felt like a critical part of any happy ending in a way that the players making up their own universe doesn't.

John's crazy new power might actually be enough to do something like that now, if it really means he can make changes across the whole story.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Olivia42 posted:

Thank god Hussie actually meant "adventure game" when he said it would be an adventure game. An MMO would be pretty boring if you asked me. Give me a game with a proper story with actual characters over that open-world crap any day. A love of adventure gaming is what attracted me to MSPA in the first place.

The problem is that the term 'adventure game' was badly deprecated for a while, edging ever closer to meaning 'a game in which you go on an adventure'. People were worried that Hussie/What Pumpkin were talking like a mainstream publisher.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Supergiant Games has been working on Transistor silently for the past nine months or so and I think they are scheduled in finish around March...

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Supergiant Games has been working on Transistor silently for the past nine months or so and I think they are scheduled in finish around March...

Oh my god. Narrator DLC where the Narrator is the only voice actor and narrates everything would own bones.

"It's around this time the kids realize that everything they've ever done has been a complete waste of time."

Speaking of the game's lack of voice acting, there should be a feature where upon finishing the game, the player game make the game output script files for individual characters, with a key combination on the title screen unlocking the ability to read folders of voice files for one, some or all characters. The efforts of the best fan voice actors - the Sturgeonian ten percent or less that isn't poo poo - can be put together by players.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 3, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

You do not get to play these games with my heart.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Man, it suuuure would be great to have Supergiant do this, what with their narration history and amazing creative direction and music production and perfect size and suitability for the genre. Just dandy.
*room full of goons ejaculate as one*

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I dunno, Bastion was fun and all, but outside of the narration gimmick it wasn't anything special. I'd rather they found a better developer.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Titty Hero posted:

I dunno, Bastion was fun and all, but outside of the narration gimmick it wasn't anything special.

Don't make me break you. All I would need is a rope, some headphones, the Squiddles OP, and seventy-two hours.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Is this the part where I lose my Games cred for having absolutely no idea who these guys are?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
They made Bastion, a critically acclaimed indie game from 2011.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

I never got around to playing that game. Sure the narrator guy sounds nice, but the actual, uh, game part of the game never looked that interesting to me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

VJeff posted:

They made Bastion, a critically acclaimed indie game from 2011.
Right, that part was easy enough to find on wikipedia; I hadn't heard of Bastion either anyway though. Isn't one game a bit much to say well yes of course they'd be the best developer in the world for Homestuck?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

AriadneThread posted:

I never got around to playing that game. Sure the narrator guy sounds nice, but the actual, uh, game part of the game never looked that interesting to me.

The gameplay is pretty bland. It has cool music and a cool narrator. Not really enough to make them a good choice for Homestuck.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Titty Hero posted:

The gameplay is pretty bland. It has cool music and a cool narrator.

So... Homestuck, then?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I think folks in this thread are missing that Hussie didn't say there will be no instance of Sburb in the adventure game, but rather the game will not be Sburb: videogame edition.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I certainly missed it, if that's the case. Okay, that frees them up quite a bit.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

I think folks in this thread are missing that Hussie didn't say there will be no instance of Sburb in the adventure game, but rather the game will not be Sburb: videogame edition.

"The game will not involve Sburb."

"New story. As mentioned, does not involve Sburb,"

We'll only find out for sure when the game comes out, most likely. Oh, that Hussie.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nate RFB posted:

Right, that part was easy enough to find on wikipedia; I hadn't heard of Bastion either anyway though. Isn't one game a bit much to say well yes of course they'd be the best developer in the world for Homestuck?

Bastion is one of those games that people really went nuts over.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Belatedly but I'm pretty sure the generic nature of the outfit and hairdo means that half of all women would be cosplaying the character if they picked up a flashlight.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think the most interesting thing about the new character is that she doesn't have a shirt logo. That's just weird.

Also, something has begun shipping, for those that care:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Pyralspite's box design is different from all the others. Obviously, that makes it more of a collector's item than any other Scalemate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm sure the UPS guy has carried boxes with stranger things proudly emblazoned on the side than "Liason Pumpkinsnuffle Collector Plush". But probably not many.