Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

We'll never know now

As terrible as DbD is, I sort of feel that I have to applaud him for actually telling a joke, and doing it in a somewhat interesting way, even if it is just the age old in-laws shtick. So good job Miur. Good job not sucking...once...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

X-Ray Pecs posted:

My favorite example of Lester shooting himself in the foot was the original version of this, which is the same except for PotG Donkey:

He tries to paint the American Left as a The Real Bigots, but then he draws Barney Frank in womens' underwear. The hypocrisy is staggering.

This would be a fucklot more convincing if the right hadn't whipped up accusations of Rev. King being a secret communist infiltrator.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010
I don't know if there've been enough of them recently, but it would be cool to have a "worst use of MLK by a racist conservative" competition, because god that kind of cartoon is so annoying.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

JJ is sad about Canada.

There was a Canadian sent to the Space Station, but it's been drowned out by Rob Ford and the other scandals.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

spoon0042 posted:

I fell a few... eight months behind in the last thread. Is Ramirez still an awful hack?

Actually he's had his "come to Dawkins" moment and decided to retire since he realized his artistic inadequacy compared to the challenge of reversing his glib wealth-fellating talking points by introducing the nuance of true class politics.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

dilbertschalter posted:

I don't know if there've been enough of them recently, but it would be cool to have a "worst use of MLK by a racist conservative" competition, because god that kind of cartoon is so annoying.
Just make it a "deceased historical figure would definitely be a a Republican today/was a secret conservative, guys" catch-all.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Huh. A not-poo poo Rall. With a joke, even!

Well, I guess he had decided that people stopped caring about his latest Passion of the Rall.

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe

Nyyen posted:

As terrible as DbD is, I sort of feel that I have to applaud him for actually telling a joke, and doing it in a somewhat interesting way, even if it is just the age old in-laws shtick. So good job Miur. Good job not sucking...once...

I liked that one too. It's all :thurman:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Searching through some older threads, and remembered this.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Conservatives just love to invoke MLK in their cartoons nowadays, because if they have a FAMOUS BLACK PERSON insulting Obama then how can people call them racist? Ignore the fact that the cartoon is drawn by a bigoted white dude this is totally what MLK, who is BLACK by the way, would say! In fact, its the democrats that are the real racists since they try to inject race into everything! Thats not what MLK (who is BLACK I am not racist!) would want! Let me just quote him out of context next to Obama holding a big list labeled 'LIES'.

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012
So, Salles did a 2013 recount in the most annoying way possible.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

We'll never know now

This actually made me laugh, but why do waifus parents live in Argentina? What? I thought they like lived on their ranch or something.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

We'll never know now

This is by far the best DbD I've seen since like 2006... is it just me or does it seem like lately Muir's been moving away from the wingnut word salad & trying to go back to the trite romcom back'n'forth he started out with?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fandyien posted:

This actually made me laugh, but why do waifus parents live in Argentina? What? I thought they like lived on their ranch or something.

Waifu's Japanese mother is engaged (married?) to Jan's absurdly rich South American father Don Ex Machina

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Rorus Raz posted:

JJ is sad about Canada.

There was a Canadian sent to the Space Station, but it's been drowned out by Rob Ford and the other scandals.

JJ is frustrating because he's so darn good as an artist- if only he had someone else to give him opinions and write his articles.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

DoctorPresident posted:

So, Salles did a 2013 recount in the most annoying way possible.

this is perfect

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

pd187 posted:

This is by far the best DbD I've seen since like 2006... is it just me or does it seem like lately Muir's been moving away from the wingnut word salad & trying to go back to the trite romcom back'n'forth he started out with?

I think he's just trying to get things reset to a certain point.

Wouldn't surprise me if they somehow get their CIA House back while Obama and his secret police wring their hands in impotent frustration.

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

We'll never know now

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
totally different. his is white and he turned up the lens flare.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
1 and 4 are completely different numbers.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Also he scribbled in the scar.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

We'll never know now

I'm really happy for Skye, she now lives in a nice place with some nicer people. :unsmith:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

You would have to be a pretty :downs: terrorist to blow yourself up midair with no causalities to inflict.
Eddie the Eagle's son converted to Islam

duz posted:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2013/12/31/msnbc-host-apologizes-for-jokes-about-romney-baby/4268543/

But remember, when Rush Limbaugh calls a woman pleading for better insurance coverage for her friend who lost her ovaries a slut and that she should film her sexcapades, he's just making a joke.
To be fair, I too would like to see some strange, contrived coincidence that results in Romney and Kanye West becoming in-laws. Imagine the thanksgivings, it'd be like a pop culture fever dream.

spoon0042 posted:

I fell a few... eight months behind in the last thread. Is Ramirez still an awful hack?
Is the sky still blue?
Also he retired which is nice.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Feeble posted:

Is the sky still blue?

Don't get my hopes up. Unless by "retired" you mean "is just phoning it in now" because this is just lazy as gently caress.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rorus Raz posted:

JJ is sad about Canada.

Anybody know what JJ thought about the guy before the various scandals?

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Feeble posted:

Wait, when did Ramirez say he's retiring? Because that's cause for celebration. If I'm missing :thejoke: I'm sorry, I'm terrible. :(

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

spoon0042 posted:

Don't get my hopes up. Unless by "retired" you mean "is just phoning it in now" because this is just lazy as gently caress.

Bill de Blasio is a mainstream Democrat who, like many people, wasn't wild about the Reagan administration's policies in Latin America back in the day. COMMUNIST!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

spoon0042 posted:

I didn't know Ramirez read the NYC thread!

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

This is fantastic.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

spoon0042 posted:

If Gorrell won laziest cartoon in 2013 for the asterisk, this should already be a candidate for laziest in 2014 and we're two loving days in.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

zakharov posted:

Bill de Blasio is a mainstream Democrat who, like many people, wasn't wild about the Reagan administration's policies in Latin America back in the day. COMMUNIST!

Ehhhh, I wouldn't say that but he clearly isn't a communist.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/23/nyregion/a-mayoral-hopeful-now-de-blasio-was-once-a-young-leftist.html?_r=0

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

If Gorrell won laziest cartoon in 2013 for the asterisk, this should already be a candidate for laziest in 2014 and we're two loving days in.

Yeah, I was going to say, this seriously looks like something Gorrell would put out. Ramirez is a hack, but he usually puts in some effort.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Asay retired in 2013, although that's not entirely accurate because he had already retired several years prior and was just doing four toons a week for some extra money. But last year he formally stopped cartooning regardless of when he actually retired. Although he told Bors he might do a "It Used To Be../Now It's..." cartoon starring Bors and himself, but that never happened.

Delonas is the other big name to drop out. He didn't retire, but instead the New York Post just bought out his contract. While he said he was going to do three cartoons a week on his own, this stopped after a few months and he hasn't put out anything since August. Our only hope is that Chris Christie runs as a moderate; it's a target Delonas could not resist.

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 3, 2014

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
There is a long year ahead of us. The descent over the last year and a month from Ramirez into stroked-out incomprehensibility hasn't finished taking its course. By the end of the year, I expect to see at least one comic that's a single word without any symbols.

Also, title suggestion for the future:
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Political Cartoons 2014: WE LOOOVE DEATH

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Guilty Spork posted:

Also a really weird, worrisome caricature.

"Um, I think that's Jon. It could be clip art from The Protocols of the Elders of Zion."

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

spoon0042 posted:

Wait, this is supposed to be a bad thing?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Gygaxian posted:

Wait, this is supposed to be a bad thing?

Hah, didn't even think of that aspect!

I suppose that's two awards it's going for now then...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Despite republicans co-opting Martin Luther King Jr. as own of their own, I expect Tinsley to still ignore MLK Day and then do a comic the following day sarcastically explaining to a reader why he didn't celebrate international rat day or something similarly racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Wanamingo posted:

Anybody know what JJ thought about the guy before the various scandals?

He thought Rob Ford was amusing because he is basically a Tea Party style politician who got elected to a position of some power in a Canadian urban center of all places.

• Locked thread